Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Support e-sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

dogstile posted:

I'm really surprised nobody here has posted about the BB tourney cyanide is hosting where they're giving out $10,000 of prize money.

When/where is this? Presumably it's streamed somewhere.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fellblade posted:

When/where is this? Presumably it's streamed somewhere.

http://www.pcgamer.com/anyone-can-enter-the-blood-bowl-2-world-cup/

I'm going from this

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I got an e-mail about it.

I don't even own BB2.

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
Yeah I got the email too. The website is: http://www.bloodbowl-game.com/worldcup/.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I'm not buying your lovely game for this cyanide, nice try though.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Also you gotta be a top 8 finisher to get any cash. Most of the prize pool is just Focus Interactive's game catalogue on steam. And then you'd actually have to PLAY blood bowl...

koolaidconvoy
Jan 3, 2002
A plastic sock mating.
Hey everybody, blood bowl 2 is a good game if you like games workshop's take on fantasy football. It looks good and has enough functionality for an enjoyable experience. They even have a tournament everyone can qualify for with cash prizes. If you're not that try hard the open ladder will put you up against other skilled players and if you get disconnected or crash there's a handy dandy reconnect feature. Have a good night.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

koolaidconvoy posted:

Hey everybody, blood bowl 2 is a good game if you like games workshop's take on fantasy football. It looks good and has enough functionality for an enjoyable experience. They even have a tournament everyone can qualify for with cash prizes. If you're not that try hard the open ladder will put you up against other skilled players and if you get disconnected or crash there's a handy dandy reconnect feature. Have a good night.

Please source your quotes.

koolaidconvoy
Jan 3, 2002
A plastic sock mating.

uPen posted:

Please source your quotes.

I'm sorry, I don't understand your comment.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

koolaidconvoy posted:

I'm sorry, I don't understand your comment.

Clearly you've already drank too much of the koolaid.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
You're both right. BB2 is the best bad game of 2015.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i actually went ahead and got it on sale because im a hypocrite idiot

won my first game, against a chaos guy, via concession, because he tried to stall and my gutter runner got his ball on a -2b and then he failed a go for it trying to hit him

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i actually went ahead and got it on sale because im a hypocrite idiot

won my first game, against a chaos guy, via concession, because he tried to stall and my gutter runner got his ball on a -2b and then he failed a go for it trying to hit him

First game, I two turn with wood elves elves, kick the ball short, get a blitz and run a catcher underneath where the ball is set to fall. DC immediately.

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.
Was the online experience that much better on Bloodbowl CE? Everyone keeps complaining about concedes but that just seems like normal online gaming experience to me.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

ProZocK posted:

Was the online experience that much better on Bloodbowl CE? Everyone keeps complaining about concedes but that just seems like normal online gaming experience to me.

Yes, when I was playing my underworld team I never saw an opposing team quit, even when I killed 4 saurus on a lizard team.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Yorkshire Tea posted:

First game, I two turn with wood elves elves, kick the ball short, get a blitz and run a catcher underneath where the ball is set to fall. DC immediately.

its weird: i had played three games, where my opponent was at least somewhat competent, and had two losses that were pretty embarassing. now im playing and ive run into the fabled big baby quitters. it helps that ive rapidly learned that players are a lot less easy to bully with skaven bashing than the CE AI was

second victory: concession by skaven opponent. they got the ball, tried to run down the side i left open in a rat cage. little did he know the Skinners Boxers were well equipped to deal with rat cages.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
There is nothing inherently wrong with conceding.
But to me the biggest problem is that conceding actually gives advantages.

The most common practice (and even I have done it, I admit) is simply conceding because you have 2/3 players who are missing next game.
Zero penalties whatsoever for doing so and instant reward.

My fix : Misses next game only go away after completing a game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The only time I've seen a concede that truely made sense was when I was playing an elf team that got super unlucky on injury dice and lost 3 elves to various serious injuries in the first half of the game.

After I scored, he took one look at the pitch, realized that if he played the second half he was going to get chased down and murdered if I ever got the ball back (I was playing orcs) and since he was already at a stark numerical disadvantage there was nothing he could do to stop me from getting the ball in the second half. So he conceded while he still had a somewhat viable team for the next game. I would have too in his position.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I had a game where I had 4 of my elves suffer heatstroke, then on the first turn three of them had a CAS.

Yeah I bailed.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I've had a game against lizardmen, I think it was, where by turn 4 I had five dwarves out with injuries/death. If the dice are so adamantly demanding I lose, I'll do it by conceding and save us both some time.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

ProZocK posted:

Anecdotally? Yes. People are way more likely to pull the plug early in BB2. Out and out concession losses almost never happened in BB1. More often they would just alt-f4 out. Even then, the rate of completed matches in BB1 was greater. Having to sit on the disconnect screen for a couple minutes before you collect your concession is annoying, but the high rate of concessions in BB2, and especially concessions that come before halftime, make me not want to touch it at all.

Concede all you want when you're down 5, or half your team is dead, I've done that before and will do it again, but BB2 players are way more likely to concede on petty poo poo, like failing an LoS block on the opening kickoff or me rolling Blitz and catching the ball. Things aren't going your way immediately? Peace.

They should bring back the chance for higher level players to walk on a concession.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

dogstile posted:

I had a game where I had 4 of my elves suffer heatstroke, then on the first turn three of them had a CAS.

Yeah I bailed.

Ya big wuss.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mr. Squishy posted:

Ya big wuss.

I'm sobbing uncontrollably

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

dogstile posted:

I'm sobbing uncontrollably

Your pixelmen died and you denied them even a purpose in death.
You should becrying, you monster.

koolaidconvoy
Jan 3, 2002
A plastic sock mating.
I don't think bb2 is somehow inducing more concedes than bb1. More likely it's a combination of a larger player base, an on average less skilled player base, and the fact that getting a new game is pretty easy. Even if they put the "51spp player retires on a 4+ when conceding" rule in it would do nothing against most concedes which are happening with newer teams, which are the majority of games.

What I've found is that once you get a team high enough on the ladder the matchmaker pairs you against other higher ranked teams, thus playing better coaches, thus less concedes. The other option is to play in moderated ladders like hadwick, though finding a game may take longer and have a higher tv spread, you're pretty assured of playing a competent coach that won't concede for dumb stuff.

Maybe if cyanide put in a coach ELO rating type thing and penalized concedes it might reduce that behavior, similar to Starcraft or even dota.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
not ELO, just Elo. its a name.

also, would suck, due to imbalance in teams.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah those ratings work on the presumption that all participants are equal. This works great in games like chess where that's true, or things like boxing matches, where even if two people are unequal they're presumed to be close enough for the purposes of the match.

Nothing could be further from the truth in Blood Bowl.

koolaidconvoy
Jan 3, 2002
A plastic sock mating.
However fummbl does it then, with a team and coach rating where one informs the other. Not something i desire but for those that want less concedes it could help.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Tiler Kiwi posted:

not ELO, just Elo. its a name.

It's a band.

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015

koolaidconvoy posted:

However fummbl does it then, with a team and coach rating where one informs the other. Not something i desire but for those that want less concedes it could help.

Coach rating is not used for matchmaking.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Marcus Garvey posted:

If you join gamefinder, you can see the rating of the coaches of the available teams. It usually gives you a good idea of the level of player your up against.

None of that matters cause your just going to roll 1s anyway.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Marcus Garvey posted:

Speak for yourself.

koolaidconvoy
Jan 3, 2002
A plastic sock mating.

Marcus Garvey posted:

The rating would get players to stop conceding, to maintain their rating, it would not have to be used for mm, though I think it would be nice if it did.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's a band.

oh poo poo I need to make Electric Light ORKestra how have I not already made this team

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

koolaidconvoy posted:

The rating would get players to stop conceding, to maintain their rating, it would not have to be used for mm, though I think it would be nice if it did.

I get what you're thinking but it's not going to work that way. If conceding meant that a player gets ranked down and play easier opponents, then it's in their interest to concede any game they don't want to play or are losing. May as well get your next game against an easier team.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I've got it! If you concede more than X% of your games, BB2 uninstalls itself and blacklists your licence key.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Have a rating based on number of completed games. Coacher's who don't concede pay others who don't either. Though that do, play chicken to see who will concede first.

koolaidconvoy
Jan 3, 2002
A plastic sock mating.

Jade Star posted:

I get what you're thinking but it's not going to work that way. If conceding meant that a player gets ranked down and play easier opponents, then it's in their interest to concede any game they don't want to play or are losing. May as well get your next game against an easier team.

But if conceding has a greater penalty [think dota low priority or just a bigger elo/rating hit] then the player will have incentive to play out a losing affair: to not get the concede penalty.

Honestly though, the more I think about it, conceding is not a bad thing and we should stop being so sensitive about opponents not willing to play out a likely loss, either because they perceive they can't win or don't have the skill to be competitive in the matchup. Blood bowl is supposed to be fun and playing out a loss can sometimes feel like not covering your ears when someone keeps scratching the blackboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Jade Star posted:

The pro choice for chaos warrior doubles is actually dodge. You can easily make the beasties your murder pile on players. The warriors are your str 4 anchor points. Your skill selection of Blodge/guard/stand firm is actually pretty ideal for them. You make them hard to remove from advantageous spots, they can punch things even if not at full murder, and they become pillars that support your teams control of the field. Let the beasties work around the warriors picking off players, making use of the warriors Guard, etc.

This method of use for your warriors also makes it relativity undesirable to give the warriors PO, as you want them standing to be your guard points and protecting your str 3 lower av beasties from incoming punches.

I'm not sure this is actually a good way to build Chaos. You'll be playing a ton of Chaos mirrors at high TV and the Chaos vs Dwarves/Orcs matchup has already demonstrated that a bash game where one team has ClawPOMB and the other does not is hugely one-sided.

If I was going to build Chaos away from the pure murderstack, it would probably be with more of an eye towards countering Elves and other teams who don't care about Claw.

• Locked thread