Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Killed the chalice Queen and watched the 3 endings and got my platinum trophy :toot:

Ended with 30 vit, 25 end, 45 str, 45 skill... ain't nothing in the game you can't poke down with Ludwig's Holy Blade. I think the most fun fights were Ludwig and OoK. Defiled Amygdala and the first Ithyll boss (pthumerian descendant) were much harder, but also poorly designed.

Feeling like BB is probably my favorite Souls game now. So, so good. Now to read up on some lore stuff because the endings show I didn't really understand much at all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The endings come out of nowhere a bit anyway. They're mainly personal goals and achievements. Either you woke up in Yharnam and nothing changes so the hunt will one day re-occur, you free a tired old man from a life of endless servitude by taking his place but once again the hunt will re-occur, or you fully ascend and become a new Great One, succeeding where Mensis, the Choir and Byrgenwerth all failed and most importantly ending the Hunt for a very long time potentially.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

Okay. Is there actually something I'll be able to hear with this stupid blobby-head on?

Woeful blobby thing aside, the research hall and all the patients writhing and moaning and suffering is making me uncomfortable like nothing else in Souls so far. It's very nazi.

I actually really disliked the aesthetic from the first few areas of the DLC. I've come to expect a lot of subtlety and understated elements to from's art design, even when they show grotesque things, but the hunter's nightmare and research hall are just gratuitous and then some. I was just about rolling my eyes by the time I got to the second boss, but gratefully at that point it changed pretty quickly.

Combined with what a slog those areas felt like with the thousands of HP everything had, and seeing disappointments with the game only repeated instead of fixed (a perfect chance to fix build diversity wasted) I was not too impressed with the DLC. The new weapons are really fun at least, even if they are largely strength weapons again and locked behind mega HP sponges, preventing you from easily getting many them early and basing a build around them before you're already at the end of the game.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Digirat posted:

I actually really disliked the aesthetic from the first few areas of the DLC. I've come to expect a lot of subtlety and understated elements to from's art design, even when they show grotesque things, but the hunter's nightmare and research hall are just gratuitous and then some. I was just about rolling my eyes by the time I got to the second boss, but gratefully at that point it changed pretty quickly.

Combined with what a slog those areas felt like with the thousands of HP everything had, and seeing disappointments with the game only repeated instead of fixed (a perfect chance to fix build diversity wasted) I was not too impressed with the DLC. The new weapons are really fun at least, even if they are largely strength weapons again and locked behind mega HP sponges, preventing you from easily getting many them early and basing a build around them before you're already at the end of the game.

The first part of the Hunter's Nightmare is kind of brilliant in how it takes familiar scenery but carefully restructures how you move through it. For instance, the Cathedral Ward has that big staircase that, in the regular world, are perfectly symmetrical and the two flanking high platforms are a sniper's perch for the enemy or just another avenue to drop down to the lower part of the stair.

The Hunter's Nightmare features the exact same geography, but has an elevated piece of ground off the side of one of the raised areas and the other is incorporated into the main path you have to take. They hide a weapon on that drop-down, so it's quite literally a treasure hidden in plain sight, as your memory of the previous area may automatically dissuade you from dropping off that ledge, leaving you to either figure out how to get to the item after all the enemies are dead or opens you up to an exciting moment where you dodge off that cliff and stumble into the item right there.

It takes familiar scenery and remixes it all in interesting ways. The level geometry and the nods to earlier levels--the trap in the wheelchair guy house is a perfect example--as well as the increasingly grotesque aesthetic make it a level that really just seems more marvelous the closer you look at it and how its progression is paced.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Digirat posted:

No build diversity? The DLC added the first strength/blood weapon and pure arcane weapon in the game, along with new strength/arcane weapons and a new skill/bloodtinge so you're not just stuck with the Tonitrus or Chikage for those builds. Arcane itself is a lot more viable with the new eye tool and the moonlight sword if you split with strength.

You can also get plenty of the weapons early on if you make a run for it. The beast cutter, saif, whirligig, and bowblade aren't locked behind any bosses. And even if you don't want to make suicide runs, it's not like you can't plan for using the whirligig by using the cleaver or whatever – the game plus dlc doesn't skimp on upgrade materials. Honestly it just sounds like you were underleveled.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Do you get a version of those weird serrated, segment sword things that the hunters use right at the start of the DLC that your character can use anywhere?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it's the first weapon you can pick up in the DLC. You can see it to you left on the stairs right after the courtyard.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Do you get a version of those weird serrated, segment sword things that the hunters use right at the start of the DLC that your character can use anywhere?

Yeah, it's called the beast cutter. It's near the start of the area.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Digirat posted:

I don't think it's ever been particularly subtle. Maiden Astraea's area in Demon's Souls is way over the top. There's a bigger theme of blood and gore in Bloodborne for sure though.

There are a couple awesome skill weapons - the Rakuyo and Saif are both fantastic. I like all the new weapons a ton except the Beast Cutter.

I'd really love for them to unlock weapons for use on a new character.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I tried to give the Beast Cutter a real chance, and it's certainly usable, but most of the time you're better off using the untransformed version which is just dull, and there are a bunch of problems with the weapon (huge parry windows, locks you in place for a long time, funky hitboxes, and appallingly low regain per hit) that add up and outweigh its positives.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
How do I respec a character? I'm getting a bit bored of this strength build.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

You can't. Depending on how many points you've put into strength you could probably make it a strength/arcane hybrid or start pumping agility and go grab a weapon that scales off both. Otherwise you'll have to start a new character.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Oh wow that's disappointing. Not sure why that was a feature they needed to get rid of, but it looks like I'm starting over if I wanna roll a skill/bloodtinge character.

So I got to the first fight after Rom, who was basically a less interesting Freja fight and the next boss is literally the tower knight with a new coat of bones. So far the only decent fights that aren't yet another large werewolf type enemy are the witch fight which was pitifully easy, and Gascoigne who was solid all around. I really want to like this game, but I may wind up dropping it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

What weapon are you using anyway? One of the best base game weapons is strength based, as is arguably the best DLC weapon.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I kept a Saw Cleaver +6 in fire gem mode in case I needed to swap to fire since I stopped using it- ended up being really useful for the silverbeasts in the Nightmare of Mensis who are a huge pain in the rear end without a fire weapon. Problem is I remembered how much I liked using the Saw Cleaver. I spent a lot of time getting this Whirligig Saw and Tonitrus to +9 and leveled my strength into the 30s and it feels like a waste to go back to it :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 25, 2016

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

NESguerilla posted:

:lol: it's tempting to recant but I'll maintain its favorite game status regardless.

You must find the Zen of Chalice Dungeons. BB is by FAR my favorite game in the series, and I enjoy Chalice Dungeons. Cursed and Defiled is just the game's way of pushing you to git gud'r.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I've kept a Saw Cleaver or Spear (or on one character Ludwig's) in Fire mode for chalices as there's a few things (scorpions, tarblobs, maybe something else) that really benefit from a non-physical damage source, and the main thing I want in those cases is quick attacks with a good arc.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I think fire weapons cause more flinch than physical ones, because last night I put Amelia into a riposte state with a single +6 fire cleaver combo. Killed her without even taking damage.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
gently caress snatchers. They have to be the most annoying enemy in the game so far.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think I maybe managed to land a single hit on Martyr Longarious on my first go. :mad:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Paracelsus posted:

I tried to give the Beast Cutter a real chance, and it's certainly usable, but most of the time you're better off using the untransformed version which is just dull, and there are a bunch of problems with the weapon (huge parry windows, locks you in place for a long time, funky hitboxes, and appallingly low regain per hit) that add up and outweigh its positives.

It's a shittier Threaded Cane and I guess it's supposed to make up for the reduced speed with harder hits and better stagger but it's just cumbersome and weird to use. The game enemies, of course, are really really good at using it.

The only DLC weapons I haven't really toyed with are the Rakuyo and Boom Hammer and the Parasite. Boom Hammer seems so tempting. I suck with the Kirkhammer so a speedier giant mallet appeals to me.

The Church Pick is a goddamn beast though, holy poo poo. Gotta get your skill up and upgrade it, but it may be the hardest hitting skill weapon in the game, it's surprisingly deadly.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
boom hammer is the only weapon I don't like because it only has like four moves

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Whirligig seems massively superior to the boom hammer. Maybe that thing is good if you are for some reason doing a str/ arcane build.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I botched the stats pretty bad, but STR / ARC is maybe my favorite playstyle so far. STR gives you raw attack power for most situations, let you use LHB to mix things up, while the Tools give you a great range of options for dealing with various situations. Also, having the Blacksky Eye to cheese poo poo I don't ever feel like fighting again, like chain Undead Giant, is cool. Next time I play I'll probably do BLT / SKL again, but going into ARC on this character was great fun.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

:lol: it's tempting to recant but I'll maintain its favorite game status regardless.

It's easy for me to just think of them as two separate games.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Hunt11 posted:

gently caress snatchers. They have to be the most annoying enemy in the game so far.

They hit unbelievably hard. Their punch and kick do like 800-900 damage in ng++

I hate when they aggro you and jump punch from forever away with good tracking. They are almost always the thing that kills me in chalice coop

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Smirking_Serpent posted:

No build diversity? The DLC added the first strength/blood weapon and pure arcane weapon in the game, along with new strength/arcane weapons and a new skill/bloodtinge so you're not just stuck with the Tonitrus or Chikage for those builds. Arcane itself is a lot more viable with the new eye tool and the moonlight sword if you split with strength.

You can also get plenty of the weapons early on if you make a run for it. The beast cutter, saif, whirligig, and bowblade aren't locked behind any bosses. And even if you don't want to make suicide runs, it's not like you can't plan for using the whirligig by using the cleaver or whatever – the game plus dlc doesn't skimp on upgrade materials. Honestly it just sounds like you were underleveled.

The base game massively favors strength, and if you play far enough skill gets some good use too. There's 1 trick weapon that can be optionally bloodtinge focused and that's it, and nothing at all for arcane except some halfhearted scaling if you use a gem that changes the damage type, which is kind of a joke unless you go for some very specific gimmicky build that probably requires a lot of grinding. Minus a small arcane investment to use some of the hunter tools, virtually all the other weapon options are strength or skill-focused.

So when I read that there would be 10 new DLC weapons it looked like a great chance to give bloodtinge and arcane more options that would come into their own earlier in the game. Instead I found five goddamn strength weapons in a row. There is some good skill stuff but you have to get very far to access the majority of it (an exact repeat of the skill weapon distribution in the base game) and the arcane/bloodtinge stuff is mostly hybrid with strength.

I was glad to see a completely dedicated arcane weapon, except of course it was the very last thing in the whole DLC.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Not sure why that was a feature they needed to get rid of

This could practically be the tagline for this game

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Digirat posted:

and if you play far enough skill gets some good use too.

You get the Threaded Cane right at the start, though?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Got my shirt in the mail today...

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Paracelsus posted:

I think fire weapons cause more flinch than physical ones, because last night I put Amelia into a riposte state with a single +6 fire cleaver combo. Killed her without even taking damage.
I think it's just based on raw damage done in a period of time. Hitting multiple weaknesses will do tons of damage to Amelia and stagger her, but so will very high Beasthood on a pure physical Saw Cleaver.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Digirat posted:

The base game massively favors strength, and if you play far enough skill gets some good use too. There's 1 trick weapon that can be optionally bloodtinge focused and that's it, and nothing at all for arcane except some halfhearted scaling if you use a gem that changes the damage type, which is kind of a joke unless you go for some very specific gimmicky build that probably requires a lot of grinding. Minus a small arcane investment to use some of the hunter tools, virtually all the other weapon options are strength or skill-focused.

So when I read that there would be 10 new DLC weapons it looked like a great chance to give bloodtinge and arcane more options that would come into their own earlier in the game. Instead I found five goddamn strength weapons in a row. There is some good skill stuff but you have to get very far to access the majority of it (an exact repeat of the skill weapon distribution in the base game) and the arcane/bloodtinge stuff is mostly hybrid with strength.

I was glad to see a completely dedicated arcane weapon, except of course it was the very last thing in the whole DLC.

So much good stuff is right at the very end game and it's a real pity.

There's always NG+ I guess. You know, since plain old NG isn't sufficiently ball crushingly hard.

Compare to DS2, especially after SotFS came out: you can get early Demon Greathammer, early Rapier, early Soul Spear, early Dark Orb, earlyish Staff of Wisdom, earlyish Witchtree Branch, early Grand Lance, early Greatsword, early Flynn's Ring...

It's easier to list off the really good weapons you can't get right out of the gate. Like, maybe the super catalysts such as the Blue Flame or the Black Witch Staff?

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 25, 2016

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Mr Dog posted:

So much good stuff is right at the very end game and it's a real pity.

There's always NG+ I guess. You know, since plain old NG isn't sufficiently ball crushingly hard.

Compare to DS2, especially after SotFS came out: you can get early Demon Greathammer, early Rapier, early Soul Spear, early Dark Orb, earlyish Staff of Wisdom, earlyish Witchtree Branch, early Grand Lance, early Greatsword, early Flynn's Ring...

It's easier to list off the really good weapons you can't get right out of the gate. Like, maybe the super catalysts such as the Blue Flame or the Black Witch Staff?

you list two catalysts that exist to do nothing else but shoot off two of the spells you listed. In the first two hours of bloodborne you can get:

hunter axe
saw spear
saw cleaver
threaded cane
ludwig's holy blade
pistol
blunderbuss
ludwig's rifle

Also to discount bloodtinge as a build is sort of like discounting any of the more specialized DS builds. I mean yeah you can just get enough int to fire off some soul arrows, but they're going to be lovely. Or you can pump the stat to do more with them.

I'm not desperately attached to BB or anything, but whenever I see the "not enough diversity" argument it just falls flat for me. The only way I can see it is that DS just has more poo poo in it, but then again, how many people do you see actively playing with, I don't know, 95% of the samey poo poo weapons from Dark/Demons?

Also you don't have to go far to get the Beasthunter's Saif, which is arguably the best skill weapon in the game. You just have to run past some poo poo, jump off a little platform and grab it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Link?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hunt11 posted:

Yeah, even after however many hours they still can easily kill me on new characters. Getting a visceral when they charge up to their phase 2 is a really important part of fighting them.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm scared to start the DLC. I'm around level 50 with about 40 vit and 20 strength. Should I go for it or spec myself out a bit more first?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

http://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Dream-T-Shirt-White-Large/dp/B011W10P9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453747656&sr=8-1&keywords=bloodborne+shirt

man nurse posted:

I'm scared to start the DLC. I'm around level 50 with about 40 vit and 20 strength. Should I go for it or spec myself out a bit more first?

I don't think you'd regret bumping your VIT to 50.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Bloodborne's design makes me wish they had added some of the things they added to DS2's NG+. probably the best part of that game was that new and bonus enemies would appear in different iterations. The DLC was a great opportunity to flood the vanilla game's NG+ with DLC enemies or something equally crazy. This would make NG+ a bit more interesting to go through again, even if it is a great chance to try late-game weapons on early bosses.

EDIT: Just having a few more NPC invaders to surprise you would have been perfect--a strong opponent to test your new weaponry on, and a reason to replay the game (I want to find all the new invaders!). It wouldn't take that much effort I imagine.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Deified Data posted:

I got one that they were advertising at AGDQ. Unfortunately I think they took it down from The Yetee's site but it's a more cartoony looking Doll praying at the grave. Bloodborne shirts are p cool.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Bloodborne's design makes me wish they had added some of the things they added to DS2's NG+. probably the best part of that game was that new and bonus enemies would appear in different iterations. The DLC was a great opportunity to flood the vanilla game's NG+ with DLC enemies or something equally crazy. This would make NG+ a bit more interesting to go through again, even if it is a great chance to try late-game weapons on early bosses.

EDIT: Just having a few more NPC invaders to surprise you would have been perfect--a strong opponent to test your new weaponry on, and a reason to replay the game (I want to find all the new invaders!). It wouldn't take that much effort I imagine.

Yeah the lack of any real reason to play NG+ is my main complaint about BB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Spiritus Nox posted:

Okay. Is there actually something I'll be able to hear with this stupid blobby-head on?

I was disappointed that you couldn't wear it to fool the other blobby heads into ignoring you. It seems like it should work!

• Locked thread