Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait, how was it running in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Geirskogul posted:

Wait, how was it running in the first place?

Very poorly.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

kastein posted:

22RE carb

I thought the E was for EFI?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

The wear is definitely just age, neglect, and use. That throttle shaft probably wore till it started sucking dirty air in around the shaft, then the dirt accumulating between the shaft and housing accelerated the wear. Repeat until it ended up like this.

The warped plate might be from the backfire... if the throttle was closed, or blown closed by the backfire, it'd put pretty significant force on it. Or it might be from some hamfisted previous owner repeatedly tightening the screws to try and eliminate a leak between the two plates.

People treat carbs (and cars in general) pretty badly, when I rebuilt the Hitachi on my sister's '80 Datsun 720 it was drat near trashed. Had the same obnoxious bolt access too. Multiple M6 machine screws holding the various castings/plates together had been undertorqued, overtorqued, or just not torqued at all, then it was driven for years with the halves of the carb flopping up and down more and more till it completely stripped the threads out of several holes. Some goober tried to jbweld one of the bolts in, but only jbwelded the head to the thing it was supposed to hold down, thankfully, rather than jbwelding it into the part with the stripped threads. So a carb cleaner bucket, a few cans of brakleen, a rebuild kit, and an M6 helicoil kit fixed it right up in her case.

e: and then there was the idiot who attempted to fix ACEofsnett's old '87 Toyota pickup 22RE carb by gouging the gently caress out of it with a flat blade screwdriver, generally screwing everything up, and dumping what looked like two tubes of silicone bathtub caulking all over the top of the intake manifold near where it bolted to the head. We were pretty sure they were trying to stop a manifold gasket leak, but... :wtc:

This makes sense.
Some of 14's carb can be fixed: bushings on the throttle shaft, proper peening or something on the venturi. Might be able to get the upper body flat with a little gentle persuasion and sandpaper on glass. Gven the lack of good rebuildable replacements, this may be the only way to go, if not a Weber or similar.
It would have helped if the carb body wasn't made out of stiff cheese, apparently.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

casque posted:

IIRC a Toyota with EFI at that time would have a -E suffix...so, no

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

casque posted:

You're right and I'm retarded/brainfarted. It was just a 22R.

The suffixes were:
R = R series engine
T = turbocharged
E = electronic

I saw some guy trying to sell a 22RTE engine package for like 5 grand a while ago. Unsurprisingly no one wanted to pay that, because there are far more powerful things to swap in.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

casque posted:

Common misnomer. Stands for Engine.

Adding to the list of things what aint mine found in my car cleaning it out. A sleeping bag, 2 piss jugs, a syringe with what appeared to be heroin residue a couple weeks ago during the height of the premier of AMC's Walking Dick that I could not in all honesty find it In myself to add to the ever growing spool of rope draped around my neck, and.....this?

[Img]

Now that I have access to multiple easily removable locks wth no keys, and a working ignition with key, and spare glass, I'm thinking it's time to close down my hotel.

Noticed something odd on the new ignition. I got cut a deal because of the "hacked" wiring, but there's intact pins and weather seals under. The connector at the end matches a 74 harness color chart, but wait.

I think I got a retrofitted 75 Switch that I can just pop the pins out of my connector for and good to loving go.

I remembered about 2 blocks away where the key was, went back and got it, and promptly lost it somewhere inside the Camaro or my.bedroom last night.

At work today I hit my carb top with some propane and propane accesories, and then three firm, yet calculated strikes with my 4 lb hammer and got to here.

My carb, here after referred to as A, and the second body I had, referred to as B. My carb had jetting for primary at 50, and secondary at 70. B had it flipped.

It occured to me at this point the only reason I opened the manual at all when hybridizing two 40 year old Japanese carburetors into a working unit was purely just to confirm jet sizing and mine being wrong. I've only taken apart mine that one other time 1 years ago to see how bad it was, and everything from correcting linkage to assembly order was just because I knew it needed to be like that. I'm intentionally avoiling thinking too long on that matter.

And another sticker for the Camaro.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 2, 2016

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

And another sticker for the Camaro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03hC_Ml8aAM

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I discovered Speedwolf from this shirt and sticker package they're selling and all proceeds go to the Ronnie James DIO cancer research fund.

http://speedwolf.bigcartel.com/product/lemmy-shirt

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Holy Mother of God go ahead and add successfully d escalating arguments at knifepoint to my resume

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
This thread never disappoints :eyepop:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Ten second version I left work, dude broke down in a bad way, I had tools, random crack head walks by, words break out between them, and then it all changed with a cold loud metal clack of a blade spring deploying.

Spent last two hours talking down. Blade left. Got dudes truck running. He left. I'm home. I don't feel anything, fear, nothing. I could use some advice.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Go moderate the next debate?

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

Ten second version I left work, dude broke down in a bad way, I had tools, random crack head walks by, words break out between them, and then it all changed with a cold loud metal clack of a blade spring deploying.

Spent last two hours talking down. Blade left. Got dudes truck running. He left. I'm home. I don't feel anything, fear, nothing. I could use some advice.

Everything after the line break excludes the words "stabbing," "castration," "disembowelment," and "next installment in the Bum Fights series." That's probably the best possible outcome that isn't "crack head passes out and bumps his noggin. I took his knife."

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dylanthulhu posted:

That's probably the best possible outcome that isn't "crack head passes out and bumps his noggin. I took his knife."

Actually about that

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

Actually about that

Oh, so it was a decent knife! Nice job!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
"Crackhead steals knife from Home Depot."

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe the Lowe's literally behind the shop. After such an eventful evening theres really just one thing I could possibly wrap it up with.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

you gotta shotgun it

use the knife

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

El Jebus posted:

Oh, so it was a decent knife! Nice job!

Nope. Serviceable, perhaps, but a far cry from decent, don't you think?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Enourmo posted:

you gotta shotgun it

use the knife

If I fall asleep before the upload on YouTube finishes it'll be posted first thing in the morning

Raluek posted:

Considering the many ways it could have elected to suddenly become indecent :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

Considering the many ways it could have elected to suddenly become indecent :v:

I'm trying to decide whether "depraved" or "debauched" is a better adjective for your life and everything in it, and I do not mean this disparagingly.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Listen, I'm not going to disrespect you by posting an embedded video of your upload, I'll let you get to that yourself. But, as shown, I will link to it, because it is awesome. For two reasons.

1: The whole "knife stolen from Home Depot" thing wasn't a joke. The Husky/Milwaukee/Dewalt knives were the most stolen object from the hardware department (department 25) when I worked at the 36th street and Thomas (not exactly a good area of Phoenix) home depot. It's true; they were stolen just about daily by the same shady fuckers, so I was betting on the common denominator.

2: The "don't fire on the Red Cross" line is literally how I survive some days, I reckon. No matter how hosed or how high a person is, they usually don't fight with the ambulance crew. I mean, sometimes they fight with the firefighters, because police are present. But the moment the doors close, and it's just EMT Geirskogul versus their trip to the hospital, people calm down. We talk, we fix problems, we confess sins to each other, and we fix life problems. By the time we both reach the hospital, both the patient (even if they are a high-as-balls crackhead) and I have reached an agreement, and are usually better people.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What was wrong with the guy's truck?

edit: I thought Rosie fought another cat, a raccoon is harder core.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 2, 2016

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Geirskogul posted:

Listen, I'm not going to disrespect you by posting an embedded video of your upload, I'll let you get to that yourself. But, as shown, I will link to it, because it is awesome. For two reasons.

You go ahead I don't fully understand embeddijg

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Raluek posted:

Fair enough.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

You go ahead I don't fully understand embeddijg

Grab the URL of a youtube video and paste it directly into an SA posting window. SA automatically adds the [video type=""]tags.

code:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ_t90gXFs4
automagically becomes
code:
[video type=\"youtube\"]fQ_t90gXFs4[/video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ_t90gXFs4

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Leperflesh posted:

Grab the URL of a youtube video and paste it directly into an SA posting window. SA automatically adds the [video type=""]tags.

And you can add res="hd" to the tag for bigger videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ_t90gXFs4&hd=1

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What was wrong with the guy's truck?

edit: I thought Rosie fought another cat, a raccoon is harder core.

It was a very young small confused looking raccoon in Rosie's defense.

I'm not sure this can be defended though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

Adding to the list of things what aint mine found in my car cleaning it out. A sleeping bag, 2 piss jugs, a syringe with what appeared to be heroin residue a couple weeks ago during the height of the premier of AMC's Walking Dick that I could not in all honesty find it In myself to add to the ever growing spool of rope draped around my neck, and.....this?

[timg][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/YL6TUrVh.jpg[/timg]

Now that I have access to multiple easily removable locks wth no keys, and a working ignition with key, and spare glass, I'm thinking it's time to close down my hotel.

Wait. So, people were like living/sleeping in your car, I guess because it was unlocked and presumed abandoned?

edit:

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

It was a very young small confused looking raccoon in Rosie's defense.

I'm not sure this can be defended though.

I guess you couldn't get the clamp down to the terminal?
You do what you gotta do to get the job done.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KozmoNaut posted:

And you can add res="hd" to the tag for bigger videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ_t90gXFs4&hd=1

"Whoa" -Jonathan Harker, Point Break

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

"Whoa" -Jonathan Harker, Point Break Every Keanu Reaves character, ever.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Darchangel posted:

Wait. So, people were like living/sleeping in your car, I guess because it was unlocked and presumed abandoned?

i imagine its easier to leave the manual 40-year-old import (which being a manual and old enough not to be popular is fairly theft immune) unlocked and periodically clear out junkie detritus than to pay for even one replacement window glass from the one stubborn thief.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Enourmo posted:

i imagine its easier to leave the manual 40-year-old import (which being a manual and old enough not to be popular is fairly theft immune) unlocked and periodically clear out junkie detritus than to pay for even one replacement window glass from the one stubborn thief.

There is merit to this.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Luckily I know a guy who can find glass for them. Couldn't find my rebuild kit so i asked myself what would Rick Astley do.

Gasoline proof Epoxy passes the cup of water test.

Any grey beards here remember the Gremlin?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
You are a beautiful, beautiful man.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

Luckily I know a guy who can find glass for them. Couldn't find my rebuild kit so i asked myself what would Rick Astley do.

rick's a fuckin quitter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7GH36eva2Q

you're way ahead of him in sheer determination

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
come fix this loving jeep for me.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I would literally get a print of this picture and frame it on my wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

I would literally get a print of this picture and frame it on my wall.

Take the L out of the url code, all my pictures go huge if anyone wants them.

E: check this poo poo out

• Locked thread