Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I've got good acidy sounds outta Massive, those filters can proper howl at high resonance. Try the acid and scream types along with the soft clipper and tube distortions. The VA waveforms are good rather than the standard square/saw ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This thread recomended Dolphin before iirc

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=Dolphin_bassline&id=1238

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

W424 posted:

It isn't, you should not pressure anybody to do it if they don't feel mentally prepared and have solid grasp of the effects and duration of the experience.

Thanks for this. :allears:

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Swagger Dagger posted:

I like Phoscyon but it's a bit spendy.

Scatterfold posted:

i always thought AudioRealism Bassline sounded pretty good

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check these out.

wayfinder posted:

Any explicit 303 emu will be good enough. People wanking over "accuracy" between the different flavors of emu can safely be ignored.

303 Purists would rather I just buy one I'm sure. I don't really believe that they can 'hear the difference', especially in a track.

Also I'm not sure if its been mentioned ITT already or not, but Lounge Lizard is serious business imo if you're looking for realistic electric piano sounds. I use it way more than I would have thought.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
http://antonsavov.net/cms/projects/venom-vb-303.html

ABL and Phoscyon would be better choices because of 64-bits and multiple formats and proper support, though. See if you can score a secondhand license on KVR.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I hate that Venom plugin so much. The guy could at least have made sending midi notes to it optional, but nooooo, :cry: my authenticity :cry:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I posted a bit in the home recording thread but figured this was more suited here. I mainly work with guitar and stuff not so much synths. What's everyone's favourite "colour" plugin for guitar? I've been using Modern Analoguer on my dirty tracks. I don't even know what it really does. Adds a bit of low end and "smooths" the fizz? I dunno, it makes it sound different. Not sure if I prefer it but it does a thing.

I'm not looking for a silver bullet to make a mediocre track great, I'm just curious whether anyone has a "secret sauce" plugin they find adds a certain je ne sais quoi.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

I posted a bit in the home recording thread but figured this was more suited here. I mainly work with guitar and stuff not so much synths. What's everyone's favourite "colour" plugin for guitar? I've been using Modern Analoguer on my dirty tracks. I don't even know what it really does. Adds a bit of low end and "smooths" the fizz? I dunno, it makes it sound different. Not sure if I prefer it but it does a thing.

I'm not looking for a silver bullet to make a mediocre track great, I'm just curious whether anyone has a "secret sauce" plugin they find adds a certain je ne sais quoi.

D16 decimort/devastor (both v2 now) and slightly crank the preamp, works on just about everything.

edit. missed the "for guitar" bit, whoops.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

If you want to pay there's Amplitube or Hardcore. Amplitube I think has some free amps, but then you can do micro transactions for other amps. Or for free you can check out all these. I think Ace is okay but I haven't used it very much at all. It was just for a few minutes while my friend loned me a usb guitar interface. It's going to be hard/pricey to get a great amp sound through simulation though, that's why pro studios have tons of amps everywhere.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have to echo the recommendation for Amplitube. I have v3, and love every single bit of it. I seriously use it all the time, and while my playing is sloppy and not good at all, and my pickups hum a lot, it all still sounds great.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I use Amplitube and Guitar Rig for guitar. I like Amplitube's sound better, but it seems less stable and is more of a resource hog on my system. For non-guitar warmth/saturation/etc I have a number of plugins I use. Nomad Factory's Magnetic II and Klanghelm's SDRR are the ones I use most on full mixes. At the track level, I sometimes use SDRR but more often reach for something noisier like Devastor, Decimort, or Little Radiator.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Amplitube is the tits, so much better than Guitar Rig which I used before, the workflow makes sense (though GR is probably more flexible) and the series/parallel routing options make it a snap to blend dirt with clarity. The bass amps are pretty decent too, can get some really good tones.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NonzeroCircle posted:

Amplitube is the tits, so much better than Guitar Rig which I used before, the workflow makes sense (though GR is probably more flexible) and the series/parallel routing options make it a snap to blend dirt with clarity. The bass amps are pretty decent too, can get some really good tones.

Yeah, the Ampeg expansion to Amplitube is on pretty much every track I record bass for. Not only does it sound great, there are presets that are just extremely usable straight out of the box.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I actually use AmpliTube to cut demos! I understand people use it for full production, but I bought a loud tube amp and I'm gonna use it, drat it! I guess I meant more for mixing shine and whatnot. I should really buy some more gear for AmpliTube, but I've been surviving my crunch needs with the stock JCM800 + TS combo.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
DontCrack has just dropped the price of all of the Nomad Factory software, and are supposed to be giving away a free compressor called Bus Driver (which currently is not showing up as free, but presumably they'll get that ironed out).

http://www.dontcrack.com/news/

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ah, apparently the code for Bus Driver is "freebusdriver".

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

he's already out, thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LwoiJJG484

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Man, I just love how much time Sound Dust puts into making things that generate complete chaos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUktUzrU8zo

Like half the time I have no idea what I'm doing with their weird-rear end GUIs but I just poke things and crazy poo poo happens that sometimes sounds great.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Izotope just released a 64 bit version of Vinyl, their classic (or at least old) lo-fi/vinyl noise thingy that's been abandoned for years. It's free.

https://www.izotope.com/en/support/product-downloads/vinyl

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Trig Discipline posted:

Izotope just released a 64 bit version of Vinyl, their classic (or at least old) lo-fi/vinyl noise thingy that's been abandoned for years. It's free.

https://www.izotope.com/en/support/product-downloads/vinyl

Nice- that's one of the few 32-bit-only plugins I actually missed when I switched to 64-bit across the board.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They actually took it offline for a long time, so unless you had an old version of it saved somewhere (I did), you couldn't even download it. Nice to have it back online, let alone a new version.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I have the old version but there are some features that don't work (warping) and I thought it was because you had to buy an upgrade but could never see an option to do so. I'm downloading this new one it looks from the screenshot that all the features are now enabled?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have a feeling that this question has been asked before, but: what's a good, simple, OSX compatible 2-oscillator subtractive softsynth for a beginner? I'm working through the Syntorial demo, and it wants me to find a 2-osc synth with one of those mix knobs and amp envelopes. Unfortunately, basically nothing is labeled the same way Syntorial is, so I can't tell what maps to what between their synth and whatever I'm messing with. I've found a few, at least whatever there is for OSX, but they're always really confusing and it's hard to tell what does what.

Also, is it just me, or do synth VSTs not have a "reset everything to default" button anywhere? :(

edit: Don't say Synth1, it's really bad.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

I have a feeling that this question has been asked before, but: what's a good, simple, OSX compatible 2-oscillator subtractive softsynth for a beginner?

Actually Synth1 is excellent and does exactly what you are asking for. What is your problem with it?

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Synth1, though.

Like, yeah, it's bad. You wanted free, though, and Synth1 is probably one of the best free subtractive synths out there.

If you want to get into synthesis, get used to bad UI. :unsmigghh:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

I have the old version but there are some features that don't work (warping) and I thought it was because you had to buy an upgrade but could never see an option to do so. I'm downloading this new one it looks from the screenshot that all the features are now enabled?

Yeah I had the exact same confusion about the old version, and yes those features are now enabled. Pretty cool!

e: Including the "spin down" button, which is pretty fun.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The UI on these things is what's getting me. Maybe it's my inexperience (maybe 2-3 days worth), but all I see when I look at Synth1 is sub det FMoct spd tempo key track amt A D A D S A W A S D A S D. I'm at a total loss. :psypop:

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

The UI on these things is what's getting me. Maybe it's my inexperience (maybe 2-3 days worth), but all I see when I look at Synth1 is sub det FMoct spd tempo key track amt A D A D S A W A S D A S D. I'm at a total loss. :psypop:

Yeah welcome to synthesizers. The synthesizer thread is thataway if you want to understand what those actually mean.

It even uses Synth1 in the OP!

e: Huh, maybe not. Is it the Electronic Production thread that does that? I know it's one of the megathreads anyway.

Also the Syntorial app is really good for actually stripping away the extra stuff on a "real" synth which is why it costs money. Synth1 is basically a synth that can do nearly anything you could possibly want for free.

Dessert Rose fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 3, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

You really shouldn't judge a synth based on its UI. Synth1 is ugly, but for the price it's actually pretty amazing.

the problem is definitely your inexperience and it will go away if you just stick with it. Looking at the Syntorial UI on the page you link it's pretty easy to map features from that to the UI in synth1 - the OSC's and filter/amp envelopes are even in more or less the same place

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Pollyanna posted:

I have a feeling that this question has been asked before, but: what's a good, simple, OSX compatible 2-oscillator subtractive softsynth for a beginner?

Waves Element. Everything's on one page; as straightforward as it gets.

Steinberg Retrologue is a good starting place, too. (Free with Artist and Pro versions of Cubase but also available separately.)

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Pollyanna posted:

I have a feeling that this question has been asked before, but: what's a good, simple, OSX compatible 2-oscillator subtractive softsynth for a beginner? I'm working through the Syntorial demo, and it wants me to find a 2-osc synth with one of those mix knobs and amp envelopes. Unfortunately, basically nothing is labeled the same way Syntorial is, so I can't tell what maps to what between their synth and whatever I'm messing with. I've found a few, at least whatever there is for OSX, but they're always really confusing and it's hard to tell what does what.

Also, is it just me, or do synth VSTs not have a "reset everything to default" button anywhere? :(

Primer VST :D

Really though, Synth1. Great synth to use for the "On your own" Syntorial exercises. Yeah, the interface is barebones, but it has everything you need and sounds great. This thread also has some beginner tutorials that use Synth1.

If you have Live, Analog can be used to follow along with Syntorial.

Syntorial usually does a pretty good job of explaining other common labels or layouts for various controls. Take notes. For instance, instead of the osc mix knob, some synths have individual osc volume controls. Just a different way of doing the same thing and shouldn't prevent you from using that synth with Syntorial. Syntorial does use common labeling though, so I'm a bit surprised you aren't finding other synths with similar labels (Synth1 is pretty close). Regardless, if you spend a little time reading the documentation for whatever 2 osc subtractive synth you pick, it shouldn't take too long to figure how the controls map to Syntorial's labeling.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Very little is going to be labeled exactly the same way as the Syntorial synth, so there is going to be some amount of adjusting to do with anything. And similarly, pretty much everything is going to work and sound a little bit differently, or there wouldn't be any point in having different synths. Nonetheless there are many things similar enough to get the hang of with some patience, whether it's Synth1 or Elements or something else. Just take it one section at a time. If you can, pull them up side by side and experiment with the controls, again one section at a time, to see what might be labeled differently, what is labelled the same way ("A D S R" for example), and what exists on one that might not exist on the other.

Anyway synthesis is a deep subject with many different techniques and many different implementations and variations of each. Part of learning any deep subject is breaking things up into manageable chunks. Good teaching can help with that but it's always helpful to be able to do it yourself, so instead of looking at a new synth and going "holy poo poo," try to identify things that are familiar to what you already know. And if there's nothing that you already know, try to identify the different sections of the synth and learn about them one at a time. And if none of that works, look for some other way to tackle the problem in small parts. Try to develop the perspective of enjoying the process of exploration instead of being intimidated by the unexplored terrain.

breaks fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 3, 2016

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I'd recommend charlatan - imo it really should replace synth 1 as the defacto first free synth. Nicer layout and gui, doesn't have the built in effects. http://www.blaukraut.info/

Also the reset thing is really annoying - the first thing I do with nearly all synths is make a basic 100% sustain sine or tri and save it as the default preset.

E: i've got no idea if it works on osx sorry

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

looks like it's Windows only

precedence
Jun 28, 2010
I remember when I first found synth1. I thought it looked terrible, but then I found it had a huge following online and now I'm in love. It does look terrible, but you learn to love it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

honestly its not only good for learning the basics of how synths work but its also good for learning how to deal with horrible ugly UI's because that's just a fact of life if you want to make any kind of electronic music at all

personally I learned about how synths work by programming a DX-11, and if you think synth1 is ugly..

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Death before terrible UI.

I ended up going with Helm. Name-your-price, cross-platform, good UI, double click on parameter to reset to default, sounds perfectly fine to me, fully-featured yet not overwhelming, both AU and VST available.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
https://www.u-he.com/cms/tyrelln6

Free, sounds good, doesn't look like dogshit

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Helm actually looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Pollyanna posted:

Death before terrible UI.
Amen.

Gonna throw in TAL Noisemaker as another suggestion for something that will help you get a grip on the basics while looking a shitload better than Synth1.