Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Brony Car posted:

Yes. I see promise and I want to poop on it.

That sounds like another massive cock-up between Rodgers and the Transfer Committee then because Rodgers gashed on and on during his time at Liverpool about wanting a "pressing" style so opposition teams had less time to think and move.

Benteke has not been helped by the inability of any of the midfielders (like Can, Henderson, Allen, or Lallana) to chip in meaningfully with goals. It might get better for him for the brief window when Sturridge is alive. Maybe he just needs a partner. And love.

Don't we all Brony Car, don't we all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

was just about to post this, they've actually listened to a protest and it owns all round

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

chuggo is BACK posted:

was just about to post this, they've actually listened to a protest and it owns all round

I'm curious about what happens in 3 years, but this is good.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Legitimately cool and good

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

This sets a dangerous precedent. I hope the various oligarch owners demand the FA kick the Militant tendency out of the Liverpool ownership

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

chuggo is BACK posted:

Yeah, it's both quite a decent move on a human level and also will win them a lot of goodwill and PR.

I think I saw that the increases resulted in £3m extra revenue a year? Come this summer watch us pay more than that in agent's fees when we sign Saido Berahino or some poo poo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

sassassin posted:

Can we deduct all of the kiddy fiddler's goals and assists from this seasons results please tia

hard to argue with this

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

I cannot believe how stupid Sheldon Johnson has been. How on earth did he think it wouldn't come out?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Who is sheldon johnson

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!
Anyone said Adam Nonceson yet?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

straight up brolic posted:

Benteke owns but you have to integrate him into a team concept. He can't be the focal point or the 'one player that offers something a bit different'. despite what people think he's a very good passer and our team scored a lot of goals with him on the ball passing to wingers.

Klopp and Rodgers just want to throw him on the pitch and lump the ball at him seemingly. He's not even that big.

e: like if Klopp wants everyone to press hard and retain the ball when they get it he's the wrong player. Straight up. That doesn't make him bad, it make's him bad for that style.

I'd have a lot more sympathy for him if he didn't continually botch one on one's.

He is actually a useful passer of the ball but without proper wingers we have no one running off him. Given how Dortmund played I'm going to say some fast wide players will be a priority for Klopp so there is still hope Benteke will come good.

In saying that if a decent offer came in I'd get rid.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hoops posted:

Yeah, it's both quite a decent move on a human level and also will win them a lot of goodwill and PR.

I think I saw that the increases resulted in £3m extra revenue a year? Come this summer watch us pay more than that in agent's fees when we sign Saido Berahino or some poo poo.

jyrka must be so sad

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Benteke, like Milner, should come back home to Aston villa.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Frankston posted:

Benteke, like Milner, should come back home to Aston villa.

They've been two of our worst performers this year so I'd be open to it. You can have Mignolet too if you like.

Thankfully it sounds like Daniel Sturridge will be starting against Villa on Sunday.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

He'll score two goals in the first half hour and then go off with another hamstring injury.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

oliwan posted:

jyrka must be so sad

If I were a Liverpool fan I would be. The fans are dragging the club down with their poor selves. Not a huge loss of revenue this time but every bit counts at the top of this very competitive industry.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hoops posted:

I think I saw that the increases resulted in £3m extra revenue a year?

On a podcast I listen to the hosts made the argument that with the Premier League's TV fees ballooning constantly to ludicrous degrees, the clubs should be lowering ticket prices instead of raising them because the money they make by raising prices is a pittance compared to what they make elsewhere, but to individual supporters the prices are already beyond the pain threshold and are actively preventing many people from going to see their team.

Which I thought was a good argument even at the time, but even moreso with that figure in mind.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Some Premier League boards would rather have wealthier business types, tourists and casuals coming than the embarrassing people who are invested in the performance of the team with their signs, chants and expectations.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Der Shovel posted:

On a podcast I listen to the hosts made the argument that with the Premier League's TV fees ballooning constantly to ludicrous degrees, the clubs should be lowering ticket prices instead of raising them because the money they make by raising prices is a pittance compared to what they make elsewhere, but to individual supporters the prices are already beyond the pain threshold and are actively preventing many people from going to see their team.

Which I thought was a good argument even at the time, but even moreso with that figure in mind.

The prices are not "beyond the pain threshold." The EPL arenas are all nearly 100% full ever week with massive waiting lists for season tickets. The demand is higher than the supply. Which is "actively preventing many people from going." I'm guessing clubs don't rotate the people to whom the(very affordable) tickets are sold to.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Der Shovel posted:

That was a cracking episode of the Traffordcast

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."
Also putting ticket prices up so that only people with high disposable income attend means that the seat is occupied by someone who is likely to spend more in the club shop and (possibly) on food, so you earn even more from it.

To us supporters you'd think that this was counter-intuitive to a good atmosphere which we see as likely to improve results and therefore generate more revenue through competitions, but other than Europe the financial rewards are dwarfed by TV money, just like ticket revenue.

The only 'solution' is fan ownership, but I imagine most big clubs are now too expensive for that.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
football is dead, you heard it here first guys.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Der Shovel posted:

was that the guardian podcast?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

jyrka posted:

The prices are not "beyond the pain threshold." The EPL arenas are all nearly 100% full ever week with massive waiting lists for season tickets. The demand is higher than the supply. Which is "actively preventing many people from going." I'm guessing clubs don't rotate the people to whom the(very affordable) tickets are sold to.

Can you cite your sources re: massive waiting lists? Because there hasn't been a "massive waiting list" at Old Trafford for years. As Taff said in the other thread, last season they were still trying to flog unsold season tickets at a cut price for half a season in January. At one time, season tickets were something you got when your dad/grandad got too old to go and passed it on.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Der Shovel posted:

This is why no one at Swansea gives a poo poo about expanding the stadium beyond 20k any more. Every year the potential revenue increase looks smaller and smaller relative to turnover thanks to tv money.

Fans claim that the club will die without new blood being allowed to watch games, but kids watch everything online anyway so w/e.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Elliptical Dick posted:

football is dead, you heard it here first guys.

Leicester winning the league might revive it temporarily.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Ninpo posted:

Can you cite your sources re: massive waiting lists? Because there hasn't been a "massive waiting list" at Old Trafford for years. As Taff said in the other thread, last season they were still trying to flog unsold season tickets at a cut price for half a season in January. At one time, season tickets were something you got when your dad/grandad got too old to go and passed it on.

United were offering any members the chance to buy up to 4 tickets for the Stoke match.

I was on a waiting list for donkeys years, but started getting calls probably about 2012ish from the club and yearly from there offering a season ticket.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

jyrka posted:

you're economically illiterate. If the tickets are priced to surchage the cost of running the stadium, that by definition is an overcharge. If they don't even factor in as major revenue sources, it's a good idea to lower prices to ensure everyone can go, rather than to reinforce class and income politics in a bloody football stadium.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Clubs should sell their jerseys for less and charge more for tickets imho. Kits are too expensive.

I'm going to organize a walkout of American Arsenal fans next week. We are all going to shut off our streams and leave the fake Irish pubs we are at.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
but... but... the market dictates that the prices should go up, so surely that is the right and fair thing to do? beep boop beep

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Sounds like a lot of people want to enjoy all of the benefits of supporting a top football club without any of the costs.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
In theory, you can consider that 3m an investment, one that makes some effort to fill the stands with passionate local fans every week who will sing songs and wave signs and support the team, theoretically leading to better home performances from the team and therefore higher league finishes, longer cup runs, and more prize/TV/matchday (from additional cup matches) revenue as a result. If instead you price tickets so high that locals can't afford to go and it's a rotating crowd of tourists and day trippers every time, you're more likely to have poor atmospheres at home and have worse performances. Counterintuitively, by treating the club like a sports team with a long term fan base rather than a business with a short term consumer base, and therefore not trying to maximize revenue, you might actually increase revenue in the long run.

Of course, that argument would hold more water if Liverpool weren't total garbage on the pitch. But considering the team lost a 2-0 lead after 10,000 local fans walked out last week, maybe there's something to it after all.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Sounds like a lot of people want to enjoy all of the benefits of supporting a top football club without any of the costs.

lol

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
If the match day receipts are so piffling in comparison to TV stuff and whatever else why are clubs like Spurs wanting so desperately to upgrade/replace their stadia. Building a bigger stadium seemed to be a big deal in the articles about Everton's sale too.

How much do Panini pay to make all those stickers?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If the match day receipts are so piffling in comparison to TV stuff and whatever else why are clubs like Spurs wanting so desperately to upgrade/replace their stadia. Building a bigger stadium seemed to be a big deal in the articles about Everton's sale too.

Because you can hold more events in a big stadium

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Corporate matchday revenue is a huge amount of money, which new grounds will provide by the truckload. And then you can really up your crisp partner game, which reinforces everything. It's the actual basic ticket sales that don't account for much.

Total Meatlove posted:

Because you can hold more events in a big stadium

Also this.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

The reason Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd and Spurs are able to attract top talent is because those clubs and the league they own are good at getting companies and people to pay a lot of money for what they are selling.

There weren't any walkouts after the billion pound TV rights deal or the huge Nike, Adidas and Warrior contracts. These supporters don't care if everyone else has to pay more as long as they get cheap tickets.

quiet enjoyment
May 11, 2009
Looks like Boham Kirkchick reupped with Stokealona for another 4 and half years. Good for him.

I'm so pumped for our weekend match against the Mighty Lester City Lions. Booming so hard.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Pissing contests between big clubs, and old-world thinking by owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
The obvious answer is standing tickets but scouse sanctimony is never going to let that happen.

• Locked thread