Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Atoramos posted:

I had very few ways outside of the NK to prove I was town, and had an ability that let me abstain from battle. If I used it in the front row, it had a chance of panicking the rest of the front line. I'm pretty sure the NKs are the sole reason I wasn't a lynch candidate near the end, so thanks for that. I did what I could to try and scumhunt, but in the end I just couldn't overlook the trio of Sinistral, TT and PBS. Hats did a good job of coming off genuine, and it's fun to see a newer player contributing that much without slipping.
your defense of yourself is incredibly scummy. Trying to frame your own motives sounds exactly like trying to REframe your own motives. Please find some other way to establish your bona fides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Voting me off was a very bad idea, and very rude to boot. :(

Regardless, it was still pretty sweet to follow along afterwards. Lots of good play on both sides.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Asiina posted:

One thing that I think could be good in the future would be to buff up the leader's HP so that they felt more comfortable joining the battle at critical points rather than just at the end. It would make their battle actions a lot more useful. There also could be more actions that affected the battle without them being in it (there was one, but there could be more). With so much focus on battle, it'd be nice to have the leaders be able to contribute more to it than just picking the fighters.

One thing on this - per the rules, it was not possible for me to put myself into battle unless I used my OPG or there were less than 5 players left, otherwise I probably would have a bit earlier.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i do not regret healing hats, because hats is good and cool

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

capps I don't think soldiers games are your style

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

kaschei posted:

on reflection I wouldn't have changed it anyway, I wish Quandary would have let me WIFOM my super move

Did you ever say in your thread if you did magical or physical damage? I skimmed your posts but I don't remember seeing anything which is why I was comfortable not using my armor spell. If I had seen you were a magic user, I probably would have used my armor in that fight.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Oh one more final note:

In case anyone is wondering the cap for private messages was raised. I don't know by how much but this game generated for me approximately 950 PMs.

I am deleting them now hooray.

and then eating tacos.

I am so tired.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

TMMadman posted:

Did you ever say in your thread if you did magical or physical damage? I skimmed your posts but I don't remember seeing anything which is why I was comfortable not using my armor spell. If I had seen you were a magic user, I probably would have used my armor in that fight.
all my abilities had magic culture & profession bonuses

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

kaschei posted:

all my abilities had magic culture & profession bonuses

But did you say that in your thread? I don't remember and I didn't see it during the quick skim of your posts before I submitted my battle.

Of course, you also had a ton of posts, so I didn't really look hard.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

God, I have a lot I want to say but I am so exhausted right now. I'll just say that I really did spring across downtown D.C. to be around for the D1 deadline and that my inactivity really was the result of business. If I could have been around more, I would have. I think that if I had caught the thread on D6 when it first opened, I could have averted my lynch. As it happened, though, I let momentum get the best of me and there was very little chance of me surviving three separate near-lynches. I was really proud of the Qal thread when they finally did kill me.

Hats was the MVP on the scum side. I felt really bad for capps and Keane on D3 because they nailed down most the scum and couldn't get anyone to listen to them. I was really paranoid both in the MafiaDoc and outside it that Quandary would latch onto them and get us killed. Atoramos also played really well, imo, even though he thinks he was on the wrong end of everything.

Sorry we didn't go with your secret vote plan, merk. It seemed risky at the time, but we probably would have survived unharmed if we had followed your orders.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Meinberg posted:

Voting me off was a very bad idea, and very rude to boot. :(

Regardless, it was still pretty sweet to follow along afterwards. Lots of good play on both sides.

There's a reason I singled you out, mate. Too dangerous to let live.

pew pew

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

TMMadman posted:

But did you say that in your thread? I don't remember and I didn't see it during the quick skim of your posts before I submitted my battle.

Of course, you also had a ton of posts, so I didn't really look hard.
No, and as a side note I think people should have said a lot less about their abilities and battle results than they actually did.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

PBS Newshour posted:

i do not regret healing hats, because hats is good and cool

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Oh and yes, Ecco and Asiina both did a great job running the game. I may have my own opinions on various parts of the setup which I've aired already to both of them in various docs, but the one thing I never ever complained about it how well they ran the game.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Quandary posted:

One thing on this - per the rules, it was not possible for me to put myself into battle unless I used my OPG or there were less than 5 players left, otherwise I probably would have a bit earlier.

Yeah I meant more as a possibility for other games, since I like the idea of leaders joining the battle once in a while.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
[quote]
fits wrote on Jan 27, 2016 10:52:
:mad:
[quote]
EccoRaven wrote on Jan 6, 2016 19:34:
if you are STUNNED then you do not perform any actions. it is like being roleblocked.
[quote]
fits wrote on Jan 6, 2016 18:30:
what happens if i :supaburn: someone and get stunned. is a shot wasted

Max
Nov 30, 2002

For a longer post:

Day 3 was definitely me at my worst. I still hadn't acclimated to the power my role commanded, and pushed something that I hadn't fully thought through. You'll see it in the mod doc, probably, but I distributed my stats to be an effective commander but not the most amazing fighter. I knew that 4 charisma let you jump into battle, so I was convinced that Tommunist's investigation should not have failed since I assumed it used the same stats as me. This was not the case. Likewise, because I thought Tommunist must be scum, I saw a connection to Podima and Ixt and pulled them out of the battle, which allowed Chic to be in the back row. We know how that went.

The difficulty from my position in the game was that I was watching our scum team in the other thread to get ideas about what to look out for in my thread. The back row theory was entirely predicated on Hats making a very useful post outlining everyone's abilities in that thread. I saw very quickly that the scum were positioning themselves to be in the back row. Sadly, I couldn't come out and say that. This happened more often then not with a lot of ideas on where to look for scum.

Diqnol ended up giving me a good piece of advice right before he died, which was to start sending the people I suspect to the front lines. This paid dividends, and he really was on TMM from the very start.

FL/Exakt was my other advisor. Exakt started out with some really, really suspicious questions when the game started, which unfortunately left me thinking he was scum but I pushed it to the back of my mind and I kind of ignored FL until day 7 when imgay started saying he had blocked FL. This was a funny day, because I had specifically mentioned in my note to the scum team not to target JoseV. FL was going to attack him, and I wanted to see if FL was really telling the truth. So when Jose did show up as damaged, I knew something was hinky, which lead to our no lynch day.

As for the cop, I have thoughts about it, but they mostly boil down to this: It seemed OP, but that was because I had maxed out charisma, which guaranteed that it would work. I was worried about a role block, but it quickly became apparent that I didn't need to fear that happening to me. Anyway, I think I picked the right people, for the most part.

Copping Gwyn was a result of QPQ talking about Shakespeare in Love in a post where he was answering one of my questions. Shakespeare in Love starts Gwynneth Paltrow. This information was coupled with scum essentially telling me that one of them were an advisor to Quandary. I thought we had a lead.

I can type more, but that's a lot to take in, for now.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Oh also, I think I might have accidentally saved Hats during the battle I was in because I used a spell on Dominoes which stunned him and prevented him from dealing damage to Hats.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

TMMadman posted:

Oh also, I think I might have accidentally saved Hats during the battle I was in because I used a spell on Dominoes which stunned him and prevented him from dealing damage to Hats.
Ecco mentioned this in the deadchat, you saved scum MVP with that

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Asiina posted:

Also lol your great hero birb was the only one to hurt Hats. :duckie:

:v:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Really enjoyed the game, Ecco and Asiina. Ecco, the Arrentia-verse had best not forget the noble sacrifices of the Qal scumteam. Hats ancestors deserve respect and we should at least get a town named after us somewhere.

Very proud of Jocasta and company. My only regret is that I didn't keep posting vaguely insulting political cartoons.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Max posted:

Copping Gwyn was a result of QPQ talking about Shakespeare in Love in a post where he was answering one of my questions. Shakespeare in Love starts Gwynneth Paltrow. This information was coupled with scum essentially telling me that one of them were an advisor to Quandary. I thought we had a lead.

lmao

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Also LOL at kaschei yelling at me so much.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

CCKeane posted:

Sorry I thought you were scum so had, Atoramos. I really thought you and merk had some 12th dimensional chess going on.

It's cool. That 'equating' post was made from a phone while eating lunch, trying to come up with a quick read on you, and didn't even realize you were in the battle. It was pretty scummy and when I realized you were on-point I knew you were town.

kaschei posted:

your defense of yourself is incredibly scummy. Trying to frame your own motives sounds exactly like trying to REframe your own motives. Please find some other way to establish your bona fides.

Always seems to work, seemed to work this game too. I case myself and force others to openly fit my motives to my actions. Some players pick up on it, others hate it. merk's case on me was weak, and his failures to frame my motivations in a pro-scum way convinced me he was insincere. I spent my entire last day begging Sinistral to case me, because if I could only believe he thought I was scum, I could overlook him. But honestly I would have probably voted PBS, so it was a wash either way.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

fits posted:

[quote]
fits wrote on Jan 27, 2016 10:52:
:mad:
[quote]
EccoRaven wrote on Jan 6, 2016 19:34:
if you are STUNNED then you do not perform any actions. it is like being roleblocked.
[quote]
fits wrote on Jan 6, 2016 18:30:
what happens if i :supaburn: someone and get stunned. is a shot wasted

Open and shut case of entrapment, get a lawyer

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

CCKeane posted:

Also LOL at kaschei yelling at me so much.
you were yelling at me :(

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also you'll see this in the deadchat, but I was so angry that I died and couldn't post anymore in the thread! Great job to Birdstrike for carrying my torch.

Max I am honored that you picked me first of all in the draft!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Max posted:

oh god. i just really like romantic comedies max.

forgive me.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

*falls down a well screaming "it's always the mechanics posters that are scum"*

I'm sorry I was such poo poo. I've lost any talent I had for this game.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

kaschei posted:

you were yelling at me :(

I never yell, I just express how disappointed I am loudly.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Asiina, you talk about the idea that scum in a soldiers game has to treat the scum role as less of a kill role and more of an annoyance. I know we have somewhat discussed this before, but I think it deserves a more indepth discussion re: night kill strength, healing, and the ability of scum to influence the game.

We have discussed the weakness of the NK in the scum docs, but I'd like a more public discussion of the subject. I understand wholeheartedly that the role of scum in a soldiers game must be to sow as much chaos as possible, but the NK as originally created (and even buffed) really doesn't do that like I think Ecco and Asiina believed. Without an immediate kill, the ability only serves to soft confirm the victim as town. Sure, scum can use it on themselves in order to build town cred, but this is the absolute worst play possible with such a neutered ability (arguably, even worse when it was buffed). At best, it bought a scum some time out of the limelight and drew a heal that could have been used on a townie instead. However, even at the stronger value, the ability is almost so bad that it actively hurts scum to use. When we discussed it d3 (and part of this was good luck on Max's part) we had 16 players that were either hard or soft cleared as town. By that point, using the NK at all was trash as a tactic because it could not kill, and worse due to a second factor I'd like to discuss.

There were too many heals in this game. By a wide margin. The amount of healing items people had, in addition to healers and the health boosts that came from putting points in stamina (which imo should be completely removed from the setup), scum had very little they could actually do. If a battle went good for Jocasta, for example, our scum team easily had the NK completely invalidated with absolutely no downside to town. Scum had absolutely no agency to sow chaos on their own, and relied entirely on the other town to play properly in order to get ahead. While I believe scum should not be able to end the game without the assistance of the other town, in this setup scum was useless without the other town. It is a delicate balance, and I don't think it was achieved in this game. To be fair, I'm not sure how I would solve it. This put the scum in a very bad position, and it was impossibly hard due to the fact that this was really a race against time, not a game of manipulation.

This is a result of what I believe, is probably the most egregious error in the setup; the ability for the leader, no matter the cost, to have a cop that cannot be disputed. If max found scum, that was it. There was absolutely no discussion that could be had, there was no counter argument to be made; it just was factually impossible to dispute. I wasn't kidding on d3 when I said Jocasta could have just no-lynched from then on and won the game. If Max had just kept throwing the same all town battle party in, and receiving almost full heals upon winning the battle, it was just waiting it out until max copped the remaining players.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

kaschei posted:

capps I don't think soldiers games are your style

none of mafia is honestly

QuoProQuid posted:

I felt really bad for capps and Keane on D3 because they nailed down most the scum and couldn't get anyone to listen to them. I was really paranoid both in the MafiaDoc and outside it that Quandary would latch onto them and get us killed. Atoramos also played really well, imo, even though he thinks he was on the wrong end of everything.

my problem with big games is tend to get hits in the beginning and then i slowly forget everything and feel unlove and strike out against everyone and everything

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

was there a reason scum didn't just shoot twice? Ecco mentioned that jocasta healers were plinking for 2 damage healed max IIRC

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

Asiina, you talk about the idea that scum in a soldiers game has to treat the scum role as less of a kill role and more of an annoyance. I know we have somewhat discussed this before, but I think it deserves a more indepth discussion re: night kill strength, healing, and the ability of scum to influence the game.

We have discussed the weakness of the NK in the scum docs, but I'd like a more public discussion of the subject. I understand wholeheartedly that the role of scum in a soldiers game must be to sow as much chaos as possible, but the NK as originally created (and even buffed) really doesn't do that like I think Ecco and Asiina believed. Without an immediate kill, the ability only serves to soft confirm the victim as town. Sure, scum can use it on themselves in order to build town cred, but this is the absolute worst play possible with such a neutered ability (arguably, even worse when it was buffed). At best, it bought a scum some time out of the limelight and drew a heal that could have been used on a townie instead. However, even at the stronger value, the ability is almost so bad that it actively hurts scum to use. When we discussed it d3 (and part of this was good luck on Max's part) we had 16 players that were either hard or soft cleared as town. By that point, using the NK at all was trash as a tactic because it could not kill, and worse due to a second factor I'd like to discuss.

There were too many heals in this game. By a wide margin. The amount of healing items people had, in addition to healers and the health boosts that came from putting points in stamina (which imo should be completely removed from the setup), scum had very little they could actually do. If a battle went good for Jocasta, for example, our scum team easily had the NK completely invalidated with absolutely no downside to town. Scum had absolutely no agency to sow chaos on their own, and relied entirely on the other town to play properly in order to get ahead. While I believe scum should not be able to end the game without the assistance of the other town, in this setup scum was useless without the other town. It is a delicate balance, and I don't think it was achieved in this game. To be fair, I'm not sure how I would solve it. This put the scum in a very bad position, and it was impossibly hard due to the fact that this was really a race against time, not a game of manipulation.

This is a result of what I believe, is probably the most egregious error in the setup; the ability for the leader, no matter the cost, to have a cop that cannot be disputed. If max found scum, that was it. There was absolutely no discussion that could be had, there was no counter argument to be made; it just was factually impossible to dispute. I wasn't kidding on d3 when I said Jocasta could have just no-lynched from then on and won the game. If Max had just kept throwing the same all town battle party in, and receiving almost full heals upon winning the battle, it was just waiting it out until max copped the remaining players.

Nah

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:v:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah the thing with FL and imgay was that FL used two actions that night. Imgay targeted him with an attack that causes melee attacks to fail, and only one of FL's actions was melee, so it was the one that failed.

I reported success to imgay and "your dagger attack failed" to FL, so they were both wrong in how they reported them to the thread.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hey Asiina/Ecco, what happened with my ailment heal on Podima D5?

edit - Oh wait, I saw the note, just an unsuccessful roll. I told you it was a :xcom: moment Pod.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

kaschei posted:

was there a reason scum didn't just shoot twice? Ecco mentioned that jocasta healers were plinking for 2 damage healed max IIRC

It didn't seem like it would be an effective strategy because there were four or five day healers running around waiting for players to claim NK damage. The best I thought I could hope for was that we would unintentionally interact with some other player's vig ability or that a NK target would end up in battle without getting healed.

As it stands, the game was pretty much nightless.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
keane read what punt said about us in the dead chat its funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

kaschei posted:

keep in mind 2 damage healed was almost half the damage the NK did. That's huge

• Locked thread