Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Billy Elliot posted:

How good is the xim? I got a $50 other branded mouse/kb box and I have a tough time doing fine precision aiming as it seems to jump and not be smooth.

It works, I'm not expecting it to be a mpuse/kb good, but do you have issues with the precision? I might get an xim if I do get this to play console with my buddies if things die out PC side with friends (less friends playing on PC than PS4 but buying PC).

The Xim works pretty awesome with this game. You can crank the sensitivity all the way up and it makes the game much more responsive imo. It definitely helps with precision too, I didn't bother using my scope 99% of the time I was trying to snipe. I'm not gonna pretend like it doesn't give a huge advantage because it absolutely does, but I don't care, it's much easier on my old man hands during long play sessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Billy Elliot posted:

I REALLY want a Battle Royale using the whole map. I was roaming in the PvE area last night and there are so many good spots to perch yourself on a roof or alleyways to have fights on. They have the elevated subway track park as well which will be nice.

Holy poo poo this would be amazing.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The Division:Ohio

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Billy Elliot posted:

How good is the xim? I got a $50 other branded mouse/kb box and I have a tough time doing fine precision aiming as it seems to jump and not be smooth.

It works, I'm not expecting it to be a mpuse/kb good, but do you have issues with the precision? I might get an xim if I do get this to play console with my buddies if things die out PC side with friends (less friends playing on PC than PS4 but buying PC).

Very very good. Once the official profile comes out, will be even better. The only downside to it right now is the grenade and buff selection. It's possible but a bit fiddly. You have to set a 'turn assist' key that you press and hold with the appropriate key to select which grenade you are going to use, then move the mouse in the direction you want to select, then release the grenade key then the turn assist. It's only a problem when you want to switch. Otherwise it's easy.

It's basically god mode in fps games on a console. I went from a .70 or so kdr in BF4 to 3:1, quickly.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Billy Elliot posted:

I'd like it if you could perch or lean over more edges. So many rooftops that I'm stuck at leaning on or the angle of attack is bad for shooting below. Some other small rooftop areas I could walk on but it wouldn't let me jump on them.

I REALLY want a Battle Royale using the whole map. I was roaming in the PvE area last night and there are so many good spots to perch yourself on a roof or alleyways to have fights on. They have the elevated subway track park as well which will be nice.

They said that one of the DLC or something will turn the entire map into the Dark zone.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Dandywalken posted:

LMG's were a really mixed bag. Did anyone enjoy that L86 LSW? The 30 round mag one?

I had one drop that had a +20% stability bonus built in and it was pretty rad. I think armor on players is straight up dmg resistance cause i was shooting a rogue once, and where it would do like 500 dmg to an enemy per bullet, this was barely doing like 120 per bullet.

Also pump shotguns are useless in pve because you can't even chain stun guys at point blank range and this makes me sad.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Dexo posted:

They said that one of the DLC or something will turn the entire map into the Dark zone.

This is still so bizarre to me.

edit: It would be cool if they could make the dark zones a little more dynamic and have it move through different parts of the city and make the take-over a gradual thing.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

This is still so bizarre to me.

edit: It would be cool if they could make the dark zones a little more dynamic and have it move through different parts of the city and make the take-over a gradual thing.

Well, in the lore I think the DZ was an attempt at quarantine that ended up failing. It had walls/guard posts set up around it, but then the virus spread outside the DZ and took out the city. Now the Dark Zone is just a no-go for the JTF or any authority figures and is just gangs fighting gangs (hence why no civilians are in the DZ).

I suspect the "Whole map is the DZ" DLC will be along the lines of the Government has pulled out any The Division is the last line of defense against pure anarchy or something.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Morter posted:

So where's the (most reliable) place to get the gold edition for the cheapest? Funstock or Gamesplanet?

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Tide posted:

Very very good. Once the official profile comes out, will be even better. The only downside to it right now is the grenade and buff selection. It's possible but a bit fiddly. You have to set a 'turn assist' key that you press and hold with the appropriate key to select which grenade you are going to use, then move the mouse in the direction you want to select, then release the grenade key then the turn assist. It's only a problem when you want to switch. Otherwise it's easy.

Xim worked really well for me, too. Only complaint was grenade selection and emotes. Not sure how they'll address it when the smart translator comes out.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

So Logitech is doing a promotion for some keyboards, if you buy the keyboard you get The Division for freesies. What stops a person from going to Best Buy, getting the code for the digital copy, and then returning the keyboard?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Why can't I crouch though, I just wanna give these rogues a taste of my Rainbow Sacks.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

So Logitech is doing a promotion for some keyboards, if you buy the keyboard you get The Division for freesies. What stops a person from going to Best Buy, getting the code for the digital copy, and then returning the keyboard?

I would imagine it comes with a scratch off code or something, no code no refund. If it's just off the receipt then idk

That is a hell of a deal though, since unless you want flashy light nonsense the keyboards don't run much higher than the cost of the game itself. They must be selling them at cost

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

el B posted:

Xim worked really well for me, too. Only complaint was grenade selection and emotes. Not sure how they'll address it when the smart translator comes out.

You have to use the turn assist function

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That is a hell of a deal though, since unless you want flashy light nonsense the keyboards don't run much higher than the cost of the game itself. They must be selling them at cost

What? The keyboards are like $160. http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g810-orion-spectrum-rgb-gaming-keyboard

I mean if you REALLY want that keyboard and The Division it's a decent deal but otherwise...

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I would imagine it comes with a scratch off code or something, no code no refund. If it's just off the receipt then idk

Used to run promos like this when I worked in PC Hardware sales. Usually both parties will give up part of their revenue, but the split varies. Sometimes the promo is just initiated by one party and they buy the licenses at a discount from the software company. It's always a little different depending on who it's designed to help.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Deakul posted:

This game doesn't even have a loving jump button what the gently caress is this poo poo jesus christ the casualification of gaming never ceases to loving astound me, gently caress this poo poo.

There's a "parkour" mode in the PC options that lets you automatically vault over stuff if you're sprinting. I didn't like it but the option is there.

I didn't actually go rogue the entire time I played but I had a question. If you attack someone who is already rogue do you get flagged as rogue as well?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The "cost" of a digital game is $0.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

eSporks posted:

The "cost" of a digital game is $0.

Say what now

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I've played in both betas now and my primary take-away is that the penalties for death in the dark zone are too high. Losing such a large percentage of your cash if you die while rogue means the only way someone will go rogue is if they don't give a poo poo, or get flagged accidentally.

Or if you just spent 95% of your sweet DZ cash on a high tech weapon and want to take it for a spin :-)

I had a group of three walki up to me all casual and one of them said in a teenage voice, "just shoot him in the head, teehee".
Thanks proxchat. Went rogue, liberator'd them and went my merry way.

That felt ... LIBERATING. (yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah)

I wish there was a "whistle a happy song" emote.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 22, 2016

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Rabble posted:

There's a "parkour" mode in the PC options that lets you automatically vault over stuff if you're sprinting. I didn't like it but the option is there.

I didn't actually go rogue the entire time I played but I had a question. If you attack someone who is already rogue do you get flagged as rogue as well?
No. That is the whole purpose of the rogue system.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

mcbexx posted:

Or if you just spent 95% of your sweet DZ cash on a high tech weapon and want to take it for a spin :-)

I had a group of three walking up to me all casual and one of them said in a teenage voice, "just shoot him in the head, teehee".
Thanks proxchat. Went rogue and liberator'd them and went my merry way.

That felt ... LIBERATING. (yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah)

I wish there was a "whistle a happy song" emote.

These guys are the best. Guys who dont seem to understand how proxy chat works at all and try and set up obvious ganks.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Tide posted:

Say what now
He was talking about them selling a keyboard "at cost" in the context of a bundle with a digital game. The words "at cost" means the cost to the manufacturer for time and materials to build that product. It does not include research and development or engineering, just the amount of a money it costs the company to manufacturer that one specific keyboard. A digital game does not cost anything to make as there is nothing to make. Its just bandwidth. This is why those bundles exist. Both companies get advertisement off it and the game company can afford to sell their product "at cost" or "near cost" because there is no cost.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Rabble posted:

If you attack someone who is already rogue do you get flagged as rogue as well?

No, rogue agents can be attacked without consequence. Just be careful not to get baited by nerds plinking at you with pistols. They'll get a little warning chevron but not actually go rogue.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

eSporks posted:

He was talking about them selling a keyboard "at cost" in the context of a bundle with a digital game. The words "at cost" means the cost to the manufacturer for time and materials to build that product. It does not include research and development or engineering, just the amount of a money it costs the company to manufacturer that one specific keyboard. A digital game does not cost anything to make as there is nothing to make. Its just bandwidth. This is why those bundles exist. Both companies get advertisement off it and the game company can afford to sell their product "at cost" or "near cost" because there is no cost.

Someone has been reading TorrentFreak again

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Someone has been reading TorrentFreak again
I didn't say anywhere that I advocate torrenting, but sure go ahead and put words in my mouth. I was just explaining why these bundles exist, it shouldn't be news to anyone. This how the entire steam model functions and why the holiday sale exists. You can't sell a physical product for 80% off because you would be below cost and losing money. When you firesale a 0 cost product 80% you sell a boatload of copies and make tons of money.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

A physically copy of a game in a box cost like a $1.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I don't accept your reality. I want dancing in this game.

Would this fail, I want a "/reading a newspaper" emote (directly from City of Heroes) or a "/umbrella" emote (from Aion)

Come on!, imagine you are patrolling the darkzone and you find a group of people reading newspaper, or a dude in the middle of a snow storm with a umbrella. It just loving make sense.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yodzilla posted:

What? The keyboards are like $160. http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g810-orion-spectrum-rgb-gaming-keyboard

I mean if you REALLY want that keyboard and The Division it's a decent deal but otherwise...

:siren:

If you want to do this deal buy the keyboard off Amazon. I got two codes one in my email and one in the box and also the keyboards are about $40 cheaper on Amazon when I bought mine. Someone else ordered a keyboard and didn't get two keys but at least you can get a neat keyboard and the game for free. Don't buy off Logitech website!

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate

Dandywalken posted:

My thoughts exactly. SCAR-H was hit too hard, M14 loving owns.

What do you guys think about SMG's vs Assault Rifles? I think a few of the AR's just kicked too much, but crafted mods may diminish that in the future. Or poo poo, maybe I'll just up my aim sensitivity to control it a bit better on my end.

LMG's were a really mixed bag. Did anyone enjoy that L86 LSW? The 30 round mag one? I never heard a good word about it. 249 was ok though, as was the RPK.

Pistols were surprisingly fun and usable, I found.

LMGs were nice when I had a 57 round mag and could keep pressure on a guy but my time to kill was so slow.

I liked assault rifles but towards the end of beta I swapped to SMG and M14 as my two weapons and only swapped to am assault rifle when I can out of SMG ammo during manhunt status and playing the waiting game.

Lblitzer posted:

This game would benefit greatly from organized PVP games. I'd love to go head to head with people much like the Crucible on Destiny.

I don't know if a capture the flag/point mode fits in this. I'd rather see squad based PvP if there is an organized mode. Don't know if it was here or elsewhere I read a suggestion like cops and robbers. Where one team is trying to rob a bank or something. You swap sides and whoever does the objective faster wins.

I'd just like Clan wars. So you can full and open kill clan's you declare war on. They'll be colored orange or something like that, no wall hacks like rogue status either. Make clan's small (like 8-12) so you don't have a full zone of players declaring war on everybody. Maybe make each DZ only allows 2 squad from each clan in the instance.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

My thoughts exactly. SCAR-H was hit too hard, M14 loving owns.

What do you guys think about SMG's vs Assault Rifles? I think a few of the AR's just kicked too much, but crafted mods may diminish that in the future. Or poo poo, maybe I'll just up my aim sensitivity to control it a bit better on my end.

LMG's were a really mixed bag. Did anyone enjoy that L86 LSW? The 30 round mag one? I never heard a good word about it. 249 was ok though, as was the RPK.

Pistols were surprisingly fun and usable, I found.

I was a big fan of the M1A/M14, but even more so the legendary version of the RPK. That thing tears people up, it's very easy to control on full auto and get lots of headshots with, and with the mods I used it had a 58 round magazine. By far the best gun I used between the two betas. I didn't try the legendary assault rifle this time around but the RPK was substantially better than the one in the first beta. That said, I think I like the M249 even better and might have used it over the legendary RPK if I had found a purple one. That huge magazine is so advantageous vs groups of players.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Dexo posted:

Do you have a link or something about that? I tried finding info about that in a brief search and didn't see anything concrete. I'm wondering if it's people misunderstanding the fact that when you hit max level the Dork Zone repopulates so you can run all around inside it to have new challenges.

If they had the entire game world as the DZ that would on the one hand be cool but on the other be annoying in that people would be getting occasionally griefed while trying to do missions / story quests. Unless they give you a means to opt out of it which I assume they would.

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

These guys are the best. Guys who dont seem to understand how proxy chat works at all and try and set up obvious ganks.

I'll admit - I was one of them. I went three days in the beta without hearing a single person say anything (PS4) so I just assumed voice chat was party only. Only after we did that exact thing (surround a guy and count to three before shooting him) did I realise proxy chat was a thing.

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
I did fake proxy chat to people to make them attack us first. Walk past a group and say in proxy, "hey, did they have loot bags? We should kill them if they have loot bags. Let's follow them and wait for them to attack NPCS and we'll gank them. I think they spotted us, hide behind the car until they go away. Ok, want to gank the now? gently caress it let's go, 1, 2, 3" and then shoot a non lethal grenade at them or just fire your gun like you are Stevie Wonder and only hit 1 or 2 shots to make them think they're being fired upon.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Billy Elliot posted:

I did fake proxy chat to people to make them attack us first. Walk past a group and say in proxy, "hey, did they have loot bags? We should kill them if they have loot bags. Let's follow them and wait for them to attack NPCS and we'll gank them. I think they spotted us, hide behind the car until they go away. Ok, want to gank the now? gently caress it let's go, 1, 2, 3" and then shoot a non lethal grenade at them or just fire your gun like you are Stevie Wonder and only hit 1 or 2 shots to make them think they're being fired upon.

Yep. I have Push to talk turned on. While also in a mumble with a different push to talk key.

Other player's only hear exactly what I want them to hear and it's great.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I left my mic on voice activated and mouth breathed the whole time.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

lilspooky posted:

Do you have a link or something about that? I tried finding info about that in a brief search and didn't see anything concrete. I'm wondering if it's people misunderstanding the fact that when you hit max level the Dork Zone repopulates so you can run all around inside it to have new challenges.

If they had the entire game world as the DZ that would on the one hand be cool but on the other be annoying in that people would be getting occasionally griefed while trying to do missions / story quests. Unless they give you a means to opt out of it which I assume they would.
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-division-season-pass-includes-three-expansions-and-some-freebies/
I would assume it's an opt-in thing.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

eSporks posted:

Actually you are wrong in this case. When a retailer gets something "at cost" its the price of the product from the distributor (which can sometimes be the manufacturer).

If its from the manufacturer its the sum of what it costs them to produce the product, plus their profit.

If its a distributor its the manufacturers price, plus the distributors profit margin.

Finally the retailer adds their profit margin to the their cost and you get the final retail price.

Digital products have value like anything else, the cost to manufacture it was the development time, and advertisement. when you are talking tens to hundreds of millions of dollars to make a game in this case you have to sell a lot of copies to break even, and of course no company does things just to break even.

In this case, bundling a game with a keyboard, Logitech and Ubi have an agreement, the game adds value to the keyboard, but it doesnt effect the cost of the product for bestbuy. Just the value of the product to the customer.

Ubi is getting advertisement (which is always very expensive anyway) and possibly royalties on sales of this sku. Logitech is getting added value for the customer which should translate into increased sales of the sku. Its also possible that Logitech has a base rate agreement and purchases keys of the game to bundle with their keyboard, but they anticipate that they make more money on selling the $160 keyboard than what it cost them to put the game in the box (key code). Especially considering that these are not new keyboards and their manufacturing chains are already established for them.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

BadLlama posted:

I left my mic on voice activated and mouth breathed the whole time.
I ran into a ton of people who were just getting feedback from game sounds because the game doesn't tell you your mic is on.

• Locked thread