Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Apparently I need to search the globe for early Civic strut mounts instead of my original plan of hunting for pirate's treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

leica posted:

Apparently I need to search the globe for early Civic strut mounts instead of my original plan of hunting for pirate's treasure.

Also apparently early Civic carbs, distributors and gas caps. What the poo poo is with this car?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Surely if we can drive enough traffic though this tread we can convince Chinese manufacturers that there is a market for such an item. poo poo man otherwise if you can find what you need in Aus or NZ or even maybe PNG I may be able to help...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Never mind the tower of Babel, we will unite under a common service manual and restore one to perfection entirely with NLA NOS parts, let us make a name for ourselves, lest our conrods be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

For something like that, couldn't you just use your originals and cast replacements out of polyurethane? poo poo, you could even cast it in place with the strut going through the strut tower, as long as you could locate it somewhat properly.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I've seen guys on the GRM forums build much more complicated strut mounts to adapt Mk1 VW parts so you can DIY build some coilovers.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Hell you can get slammed as gently caress Mk1 coilovers for $300 and the strut mounts are $20 a piece if you feel like rigging some setup up.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's a popular 'base' for a lot of homemade coilover setups from what I can tell.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/learn-me-roll-your-own-coilovers/98453/page1/

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

8ender posted:

Ask the wrecker employee cruising around in a cavalier with the entire roof cut off and welding bottles rolling around in the back seat to get them for you. Then sit back and watch every OHSA rule get broken at once as the man commands the twin powers of liquor and redneck and finds a way

This speaks to my soul in ways I didn't think were possible.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my favorite was getting hooned around all the way to the back of the lot for a 3 series wiper motor by some 70 year old dude in a sebring with the airbag deployed and not even cut off, just all flappin around

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I just realized the first Police Academy movie featured a little blue Honda.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Cakefool posted:

Never mind the tower of Babel, we will unite under a common service manual and restore one to perfection entirely with NLA NOS parts, let us make a name for ourselves, lest our conrods be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth.

Excellent idea. Hatchback, or wagon? 49 state or federalized? Hondamatic or manual? EB2 or EB3? And I'm obviously assuming you mean for a 1200, unless you want to then ask those questions for the 1500 as well.

Because here's the distributor options for 74 and 75 alone.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

Excellent idea. Hatchback, or wagon? 49 state or federalized? Hondamatic or manual? EB2 or EB3? And I'm obviously assuming you mean for a 1200, unless you want to then ask those questions for the 1500 as well.

Because here's the distributor options for 74 and 75 alone.

And the Lord said, “Indeed the people are one and they all have one buildsheet, and this is what they begin to do; now nothing that they propose to do will be withheld from them.

Come, let Us go down and there confuse their options, that they may not understand one another’s wiring diagrams.”

So the Lord scattered them abroad from there over the face of all the junkyard, and they ceased building the Honda

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug

Preoptopus posted:

I just realized the first Police Academy movie featured a little blue Honda.

Is that the one Bubba ripped the seat out of so he could fit in?

RIP Bubba and little Honda's seat.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

re: the junkyard car, you guys are thinking the wrong dimension. What you need is a come-along, a pulley, a bunch of cable, and something very heavy to anchor to. Just drag the fucker out of the water... whatever scrapes off was meant to remain behind.

four tons of pull for $50

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 26, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Jonny 290 posted:

my favorite was getting hooned around all the way to the back of the lot for a 3 series wiper motor by some 70 year old dude in a sebring with the airbag deployed and not even cut off, just all flappin around

I like the local lord of the flies yard where my personal parts justy (seriously, the guy rammed it in the woods out back instead of crushing it when the boss told him to, because I still want parts off it) gets last-call service from a toothless junkyard employee driving a wrecked dakota with the drivers door swinging in the breeze, a front cv shaft knocking on deaths door, at 10/10ths. I've seen him drift that thing around a corner and use the back of an old rv to slam the door as he powers out of it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Leperflesh posted:

re: the junkyard car, you guys are thinking the wrong dimension. What you need is a come-along, a pulley, a bunch of cable, and something very heavy to anchor to. Just drag the fucker out of the water... whatever scrapes off was meant to remain behind.

four tons of pull for $50
A hi-lift jack lets you do that too.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

kastein posted:

I like the local lord of the flies yard where my personal parts justy (seriously, the guy rammed it in the woods out back instead of crushing it when the boss told him to, because I still want parts off it) gets last-call service from a toothless junkyard employee driving a wrecked dakota with the drivers door swinging in the breeze, a front cv shaft knocking on deaths door, at 10/10ths. I've seen him drift that thing around a corner and use the back of an old rv to slam the door as he powers out of it.

This sounds like the makings of an excellent YouTube channel!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How about you wait till summer is here and the water is gone? Ill head out to the yard with you and my ryobi sawzall

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

I don't believe you can use the phrase "water is gone" when describing anything about Washington state.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah, do you even get summer in Seattle?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

InitialDave posted:

A hi-lift jack lets you do that too.

You can winch things with a hi-lift jack? I'm having a hard time imagining it, can you link to a demonstration?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I don't know how to embed thing but here's the official video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xldBPnzohtI

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Important questions:

1) Is a 1977 Honda Accord an interference engine?
2) If not, how hard is it to replace the timing belt?
3) How stupid is it to buy a 1977 Accord?

Edit: I re-read the ad and it's an automatic, fuuuck that.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 26, 2016

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
From a little look, it seems like the E series (which was also used in the Accord) was non-interference at least in many of the many, many forms that it took. I'm not a crazy Honda whisperer or anything, though. Judging by what I've seen of 1970's Honda parts availability, I'd say that it's very, very stupid, and you should definitely do it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I was actually looking at a similarly aged Accord. The only two on UK roads popped up for sale last week... One's MINT, the other a bit rougher. The mint one? 850...

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

More than once I've woke up beside a hi-lift with a splitting headache and no memory of the previous five minutes.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Sinestro posted:

From a little look, it seems like the E series (which was also used in the Accord) was non-interference at least in many of the many, many forms that it took. I'm not a crazy Honda whisperer or anything, though. Judging by what I've seen of 1970's Honda parts availability, I'd say that it's very, very stupid, and you should definitely do it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
99 cent t shirt game is strong today.

And a very personal, heart felt gently caress you you piece of poo poo, brand new belt

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

thebigcow posted:

I don't know how to embed thing but here's the official video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xldBPnzohtI

Well I'll be damned. No reason not to get a hi-lift instead of a comealong, it would seem!

(To embed a video, paste the video URL like you did, but also select the "Automatically parse URLs" box in the Options section just below the posting window.)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

99 cent t shirt game is strong today.

And a very personal, heart felt gently caress you you piece of poo poo, brand new belt

I knew the people who own(ed?) poison spider bikes. They actually once had a much cooler logo.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
MY TABLES

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That book of the dead shirt is choice, sweet find. I need to hit up thrift shops more often.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

leica posted:

That book of the dead shirt is choice, sweet find. I need to hit up thrift shops more often.

Seems I missed one of the resizings :v:

So the distributors. Listed as one in stock, new old stock Honda Original Equipment. Ad framed the shot very specifically with a corner of an old box saying Denso Made in Japan. I Googled the part number and found multiple sites all listing that as the distributor I needed so I showed it to Gremlin and my dad as a hey check out this cool deal on NOS parts! Moments later they both messaged me back saying they bought it to secure it, as my taxes were already filed and due around the corner and they didn't want me to miss out. That already seemed strange, but then they both showed up in Honda Genuine Parts boxes, and I opened them up.

Right away there were differences, minor, but noticeable.

I didn't think the factory would have cotter pinned the cap clips on, the missing vaccuum cans I was not worried about because they had at least said that up front.

Now this one had the right casting, but a Datsun part number. I feel like even if 2 manufacturers use an identical part, they aren't going to use the other guys parts code for cross reference ease.

Luckily I happen to have all the possible castings in a convenient analogue format.

Now this fucker I couldn't find anything about online anywhere, I found some charts that claimed they had the car it goes to but I couldn't seem to locate the actual end user of this.

Here's the original ad, and the box with part number.

Turns out Denso wasn't NipponDenso, but Shine which I'm guessing is a rebuilder. Moot point, Hitachi made the distributors anyways and I started looking for any mention of that box number that wasn't being sold by a relistings website (https://www.buyhondashitcheap.com and the like) and I finally found one reference on a car forums post from 2005 asking about 240z distributors.

And I'll cap off this post and make one for today seperate to help break it up. In parting:

And a preview, I swear to loving God Google keep clowning on me and see what happens.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So having successfuly sat on my rear end during every last minute of the nice weather this morning, I decided to finally crack into the Civic just as the rain started coming. Gotta do what you gotta do, I found my carb rebuild kit and I felt like a 2 part paper and razor thin cork gasket should try to stay dry.

If you haven't used this before, make sure that antisieze escape vectors apply, yet anything it touches will be forever altered to have the stickiest bright red boogerhellglue you've ever seen spreading like putty in a man bending over in front of a camera's hands. My gloves glued themselves to the trash bag splatter shield and all 3 were disposed of together.

So far so good.

Float on the right is the one that keeps sinking with the patched crack. Float on the left is the one I pre emotively reinforced around the seam. Also note the float height adjustment tang lol

Around that time you discover you needed to glue the gaskets onto the top piece because the float is wide enough it's going to rip the gasket right in two no way around it. And you see how carefully you can peel off the two together, then manage to install it sticky side on the parts your hands are gonna need to touch to lower it into place and loose on the side you need lined up.

Then the wind kicks the bag shield up, dumps all the water directly into the carb, the accelerator pump piston is knocked free and you don't hear it it the ground at all, the rain decides to stop pussy ing around, and you take solace in the fact there's nobody out right now to watch you throwing a temper tantrum like a 3 year old at the store.

:toot:

On the plus side, the top plate sealed perfectly and the second float put the level dead center of the indicator mark on the sight glass. On the other hand, the linkage took that exact moment to give up on life and age fatigue has caused this piece I only have one of to lose its angle, pop the choke rod free , rotate over and jam, and just cause general mayhem and disarray.

The 90 degree rod and vertical tab going downward there should look more like the second picture. Still looks kind of like a 90 in that angle but it's really more of a 110 to 115 degree angle if looked on straight from the side.

So we start considering our options.

And by pure chance stumble across an ad halfway through Google mocling me with Weber pictures of an ad for a 1975 Datsun Sunny carburetor.

And I thought to myself now wait a drat minute,

And with a buy it now of 85 dollars, I discovered that when you get to the paypal part and go holy poo poo 1 to 2 month shipping from Hong Kong, I can't wait 2 months to get a carb jesus christ, merely hitting back on the browser and buying one that wound up being 5 bucks cheaper and 3 days out in Cali does not in any way get you off the hook for the first guy now sending you a payment request invoice.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Leperflesh posted:

Well I'll be damned. No reason not to get a hi-lift instead of a comealong, it would seem!

(To embed a video, paste the video URL like you did, but also select the "Automatically parse URLs" box in the Options section just below the posting window.)
Yeah, they won't move stuff as far as a come-along without re-rigging, but they'll let you shift much more weight.

But also:

rndmnmbr posted:

More than once I've woke up beside a hi-lift with a splitting headache and no memory of the previous five minutes.
Make drat sure it has engaged on each ratchet, or it'll take a swing at you with the handle, backed up by the full force of whatever load is on it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Oh my god how did I not see the face

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So to recap this weekend, I managed to spend my entire tax return but only paid off half the camaro, because my cat had a sudden appearance of some sort of full body itchy skin disorder, that a full battery of initial tests for info determined whatever it is causing it, she's healthy as an ox and is just going to suffer until we can either find an allergen or cause or a different round of tests discovers the cause. For which, including swapping flea medicine name brands as well to see if perhaps one lost its potency has set me back over $350 and soon to be more.

I woke up with the grand daddy of all plantar warts that suddenly surfaced to alert me we are now playing the Hunt for the Red Socktober. poo poo looked like the same size and thickness of a half dollar coin someone carefully snuck under the ball of my left foot in the hopes of making the April edition of BMW for their "PRANKED!" Article feature. Needless to say, walking on that all day would have driven me nuts so I whipped out my box cutter and ran a quick clearancing with my custom 5 axis Wrist mill machine and called it a day.

Then right around 10 am this morning had that sudden flash of epiphany that the chick who invited me over for movie night because nobody else was home and she was feeling lonely and could use some company to have a nice quiet evening hanging out, perhaps did not mean for me to literally come watch a few movies and crack a couple jokes. When I noticed it was approaching 1am on a work night, I said holy poo poo I need to bounce to head home and she said I didn't need to if I didn't want to, I could stay there. And now that the hindsight instant replay cameras had selected last night's feed for a play by play breakdown looking if perhaps I had missed some sort of subtle signals about anything she might have left dangling, I realised there's a solid chance I replied to thst with saying "yeah, I mean that would be awesome, I'd be down but all day today I've just been slamming my dick into a wall and not getting anywhere at all, so I guess I'll head on home. And she replied wth "Well I mean I'm not going to force you to stay I'm just saying you don't have to drive it if you don't feel like it" and I'm like yep talk to you tomorrow and went home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I don't know what it is with Japanese cars in the 70s and different distributors for particular year or where it was made.

I had an early model KE30 Corolla, while it was made in Australia, had some Japanese parts on it while Toyota Australia were waiting for Nippondenso Australia to get up to speed on their ignition parts for the car.

And for the life of me I could never find a proper distributor cap for my 4AGE Corolla I had. Ran the same cap the whole time I owned it.

• Locked thread