Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

A splash of lukewarm water is the proest way to drink whiskys of any stripe. Cold water and/or ice dulls the nose too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MrChips posted:

dulls the nose too much.

I have no idea what that means but I'll give it a shot on my next glass

e: also? spicy fried chicken and bourbon? Pretty freaking tasty.

As Raylan Givens once said, if that don't cool it down and heat it up at the same time...

Tide fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 27, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tide posted:

I have no idea what that means but I'll give it a shot on my next glass

the cold keeps the more aromatic flavor compounds from evaporating, meaning you can't smell them (which is where 90% of tasting is done, in the nose)

water is good to dilute the alcohol burn but you don't want it too cold, so you can still taste the unique character

coincidentally i just came home and poured myself a small glass of jameson with just a splash of water, open the thread and find this discussion. at least we can all agree on liquor.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

Hey, the company I work for runs moodica.com, and I understand they might start licensing content soon. Would you like me to try to put you in touch with someone?

How does this work? Is it only video content, or are you looking for programmatic/JS kind of things?

e: Don't know how but somehow I got redirected to the stats page (is it new?)

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 27, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-vUeAXjQTw&t=595s

so uh dont store your automotive chemicals near your pool chemicals

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

sharkytm posted:

Yup. Depending on the strength of the alcohol, that's the way it's "meant" to be enjoyed. I just finished a cask strength Laphroaig, 56% ABV. To even taste half of what it offered, you had to water it down. Y'all can drink fire straight, but I like the flavor.

The key with cask strength is to add water in tiny amounts each sip. It will change dramatically.
Ice doesn't have that much control and cold kills some of the flavor.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

literally a fish posted:

I was going to immediately reply "yes please :D" but then I realized I should probably check what kind of licensing the Japanese Meteorological Agency puts on these images (the song is a royalty-free one, so that's already not a problem).

Turns out the images have no licensing restrictions or requirements, as long as I leave that watermark in the bottom left (or otherwise attribute the data to JMA/NICT/Himawari-8)

So yeah, that'd be awesome :3: I'll be able to make a two month long one shortly, too, and with my new software process that produces even more buttery video

Alright cool. On Monday, I'll start asking around the company Slack to see who runs that thing.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How does this work? Is it only video content, or are you looking for programmatic/JS kind of things?

e: Don't know how but somehow I got redirected to the stats page (is it new?)

I think it's just video for now. My company's core competency is streaming video on demand. We just got acquired, so one of the plans is to build a bunch of SVOD sites and see what sticks.

That said, if you've got JS or other programming chops and you're interested, I'll PM you our careers page.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

#14 :whatup:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
My buddy just drove all the way to Iowa to win an argument we had.

Can someone make sense of this for me?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Preoptopus posted:

The guy throwing the signs put the numbers on the wrong sides?

Edit: Or not. Iowa is apparently wacky.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 27, 2016

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Preoptopus posted:

Iowa has corn thus ethanol plants and something something government subsidizing something.

Its cheaper but you'll get less miles per gallon.

Cage fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 27, 2016

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Me and my roommate drank all the Black Label (12 pack for $8) so they just ordered a shut load. Love it. Of course in HS, Black Label had a 12 pack PLUS 3 BONUS CANS for the same price.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Preoptopus posted:

Regular Unleaded in Iowa is ethanol free which means ot is taxed more.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have a whole new appreciation for Five Guys. Went to Red Robin, paid way too much and waited way too long for "gourmet" burgers I could get at McDonalds, AND had to tip the waitress. Place is a joke, never again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We hold gaming events in our store every friday night, of late a lot of younger kids have been showing up and it's been pretty great. Tonight two of them wander out of the store before their dad came to get them and I spent over an hour running around the shopping center looking for them to no avail. They were seen in numerous places over the course of that hour so I know they were running around but I just couldn't catch them.

Stressed me the gently caress out.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

leica posted:

I have a whole new appreciation for Five Guys. Went to Red Robin, paid way too much and waited way too long for "gourmet" burgers I could get at McDonalds, AND had to tip the waitress. Place is a joke, never again.

Red Robins are hit and miss for sure. When the kitchen is run right and they're on their game, they're fantastic. When they're off even a little, it's one of the most overpriced and mediocre burgers you'll ever have. Sad really. I grew up with a good one and there was absolutely nothing like it. Then I moved to Denver (where they originated) and not only are they everywhere, most of them suck. Like it's almost impossible to get hot fries at the Highlands Ranch location for example. No idea why.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

Red Robins are hit and miss for sure. When the kitchen is run right and they're on their game, they're fantastic. When they're off even a little, it's one of the most overpriced and mediocre burgers you'll ever have. Sad really. I grew up with a good one and there was absolutely nothing like it. Then I moved to Denver (where they originated) and not only are they everywhere, most of them suck. Like it's almost impossible to get hot fries at the Highlands Ranch location for example. No idea why.

Yep, we used to go to one in Rochester NY years ago all the time and it was great, I have no idea what the hell happened but it's horrible here. They have these iPad things on every table now and if you even touch it it, it's a loving $2 "entertainment" fee! My bill was over $50 for what equated to three value meals and a happy meal, not including a tip of course.

With a Five Guys around the corner there is absolutely no reason to ever think of going to Red Robin ever again.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Some things are the right thing at the right time. Buffalo trace and some spicy fried chicken. was that thing. And seasin6 of justified on Amazon prime

Pretty good night.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

leica posted:

Yep, we used to go to one in Rochester NY years ago all the time and it was great, I have no idea what the hell happened but it's horrible here.

The one in Henrietta? I went a couple times and it was fine.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Advice needed pls

Deceased estate freebie. Runs. So just what the gently caress do I DO with this thing????? Does anyone know much about quad bikes and where I might get parts if I want to restore?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Advice needed pls

Deceased estate freebie. Runs. So just what the gently caress do I DO with this thing????? Does anyone know much about quad bikes and where I might get parts if I want to restore?

Holy poo poo my dad has one just like that. It's a 1986 that he insisted on dragging all the way from Australia to the US in order to plow the driveway

He also got it for free

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

The one in Henrietta? I went a couple times and it was fine.

Yeah, that was it. Was back in about '09 but it was really good. Lots of different sandwiches and salads, even dinners IIRC.

The ones they're opening here in FL seem to focus just on burgers, seems like a dumb idea to me.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Advice needed pls

drat if you got the trailer too that's a sweet score....Sorry if you knew the deceased :(

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 27, 2016

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

leica posted:

Yeah, that was it. Was back in about '09 but it was really good. Lots of different sandwiches and salads, even dinners IIRC.

The ones they're opening here in FL seem to focus just on burgers, seems like a dumb idea to me.

You weren't at RIT during that period were you? I'd have been finishing up my undergraduate courses at about that time... and driving a beautiful red Hyundai Accent...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Advice needed pls

Restoring farm equipment that isn't at least forty years old is kind of a waste of time, especially with the level of molestation visible there. Take all the superfluous panels, lights etc off it and go hog wild using it as a paddock basher.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

You weren't at RIT during that period were you? I'd have been finishing up my undergraduate courses at about that time... and driving a beautiful red Hyundai Accent...

Haha I wish. I was managing a campground in Angelica about two hours south of Buffalo and Rochester. Driving a green or white XJ :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I love when our customers come in complaining about a shop we deliver to. Even more so when the customer is a bit of a dick and so is the shop owner. Shop did a lovely job replacing the motor in a dudes 300c, so he was buying parts to fix it himself so he wouldn't have to deal with the shop owner again. The dude was also freaking out over break-in stuff until I mentioned I knew where they sourced motors and told him not to worry about it, it was broken in. I didn't feel the need to burden him with the knowledge that it was almost certainly a junkyard motor and possibly had more miles on it than the dead motor.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Me and my roommate drank all the Black Label (12 pack for $8) so they just ordered a shut load. Love it. Of course in HS, Black Label had a 12 pack PLUS 3 BONUS CANS for the same price.

When you said Black Label, i thought you meant this

And my first thought is "he's replacing weed with liver failure" and second was "How the gently caress do you get that stuff for $8?

I cracked the shits with my PC today.... When Windows 7 off an Intel SSD was booting up in over 2 minutes, and Windows 10 in a VM on a Mechanical drive was booting up quicker and running faster.... So i bolted in a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO HD and whacked Windows 10 onto it.

SO MUCH FASTER. Went from 2:10 boots to 35 seconds POST to login screens. Much nicer PC to use and its only got dregs of the festering poo that was Win8 staining the Windows10 experience.

Now i get to reinstall everything

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Restoring farm equipment that isn't at least forty years old is kind of a waste of time, especially with the level of molestation visible there. Take all the superfluous panels, lights etc off it and go hog wild using it as a paddock basher.

Oh, I'm well aware it's a waste of time - it's more a thing to do for shits and giggles if I do it.

Seems to be selectable AWD, five speed, PTO, four wheel drums (no biggie there) and in fairly good condition. Exhaust has broken mounts. I think it's a 250cc. Dont know the first thing about quads but it seems to be built pretty drat tough to say the least.

Character Name
Jun 4, 2008

nm posted:

Regular Unleaded in Iowa is ethanol free which means ot is taxed more.

What's sold as regular unleaded and super unleaded in Iowa are both 87 octane, the super having 10% ethanol and unleaded is straight gas. A few years back the pipeline that most of the gas in Iowa comes from switched from carrying 87 octane gasoline to 85 octane gas. Adding the ethanol to the super unleaded gets it back up to 87 octane. So to get 87 octane straight gas, it has to be trucked in rather than carried most of the way via pipeline, so regular costs more because it costs more to get here. Before they changed the octane in the pipeline gas, super unleaded with ethanol was 89 octane and regular was 87, and they were priced within a few cents of each other. So it's not really taxes that drive the cost difference, but the abundance of ethanol here probably did drive the decision to switch to lower octane gas coming down the pipeline.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Character Name posted:

What's sold as regular unleaded and super unleaded in Iowa are both 87 octane, the super having 10% ethanol and unleaded is straight gas. A few years back the pipeline that most of the gas in Iowa comes from switched from carrying 87 octane gasoline to 85 octane gas. Adding the ethanol to the super unleaded gets it back up to 87 octane. So to get 87 octane straight gas, it has to be trucked in rather than carried most of the way via pipeline, so regular costs more because it costs more to get here. Before they changed the octane in the pipeline gas, super unleaded with ethanol was 89 octane and regular was 87, and they were priced within a few cents of each other. So it's not really taxes that drive the cost difference, but the abundance of ethanol here probably did drive the decision to switch to lower octane gas coming down the pipeline.

87AKI is the best you can get? My turbos weep, WEEP I SAY!

Being full of corn, can you at least get E85 there?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Regular ranges from 85-87, while premium can be anywhere from 90-94. It seems to mostly depend on elevation.

Where I grew up (El Paso TX), regular is 85-86, premium is 90-91. Where I live now (Dallas area), regular is usually 87, with premium being 93.

E85 is easy to find here, I can't speak for Iowa.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

leica posted:

drat if you got the trailer too that's a sweet score....Sorry if you knew the deceased :(

I did acquire a trailer, not as flash as that one but still good. Didnt know him - he was a farmer whom one of my Dad's friends knew. I'm not 100% sure of how we have accquired a bunch of stuff over the last couple of years as said farmer's health declined and now passed away, but yeah just this year I've picked up a trailer, that quad (what are we gonna do with it???), there's a wooden hulled V8 speed boat tucked away as well and a chook chaser.

I'm going to get my boat license at least. Driving a V8 powered wooden hull is too good to pass up but I have no idea where half this stuff is going to be garaged - my WRX is going to Dad for his use so I have some room again.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Using a lathe that you're currently building to finish building the same lathe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCt3LooUVsQ

are you a goddamned wizard

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I did acquire a trailer, not as flash as that one but still good. Didnt know him - he was a farmer whom one of my Dad's friends knew. I'm not 100% sure of how we have accquired a bunch of stuff over the last couple of years as said farmer's health declined and now passed away, but yeah just this year I've picked up a trailer, that quad (what are we gonna do with it???), there's a wooden hulled V8 speed boat tucked away as well and a chook chaser.

I'm going to get my boat license at least. Driving a V8 powered wooden hull is too good to pass up but I have no idea where half this stuff is going to be garaged - my WRX is going to Dad for his use so I have some room again.

Do you have any spare engines to wedge in that quad?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

88h88 posted:

Do you have any spare engines to wedge in that quad?

..... Maaaaaaaybe?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

:unsmigghh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

..... Maaaaaaaybe?

The question has now changed to "would you like to do two engines - one up front, one in the rear - or four engines (one per wheel)"?

:getin:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Trying to sort out camping gear for the forthcoming family holidays and our little 4'x2'6" trailer isn't going to cut it. Buying a bigger trailer is throwing money away, they're either expensive or garbage or both. Why can't we get something like the harbour freight trailer kit here in the UK?

Currently I'm thinking build a bigger body on the current chassis. Or learn to weld.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Advice needed pls

Cakefool posted:

Trying to sort out camping gear for the forthcoming family holidays and our little 4'x2'6" trailer isn't going to cut it. Buying a bigger trailer is throwing money away, they're either expensive or garbage or both. Why can't we get something like the harbour freight trailer kit here in the UK?

Currently I'm thinking build a bigger body on the current chassis. Or learn to weld.
Well, while they seem expensive, they do tend to hold their value well, so a decent used one the size you want will likely have zero net cost to you if you sell it on again later.

Welding your own up is the only "good and cheap" option. If doing that, I'd say you're better to sell the current trailer, and use the money to buy one of "just add metal" kits you can get that have a hitch, suspension units, wheels etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L26kTJjgIG4

• Locked thread