Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you love trade deadline day?
This poll is closed.
Yes 28 41.79%
Yes 39 58.21%
Total: 67 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

fits posted:

finally announced it was for martin gernat and 4th

eh :shrug:

I'm okay with this deal. Oilers needed to improve their bottom 6, trading Gernat doesn't hurt as we have a ton of other LHD prospects, and a 4th's a 4th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Starsfan posted:

The likes of hamhuis and Russel are going to win this team exactly 0 more games in the playoffs than they would have by standing pat. I hate that apparently Nill doesnt have a very good eye for defense, but atleast we kept the damage to one bad trade instead of 2.

But he's a warrior!!!! And he blocks shots!!!!!! :shepface:

We'll see. I don't like it any more than you do but our media is going apeshit over him so maybe there's something there? (or more likely our media is a bunch of old-timey ruff-n-tuff hockey people)

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Kilza posted:

I'm okay with this deal. Oilers needed to improve their bottom 6, trading Gernat doesn't hurt as we have a ton of other LHD prospects, and a 4th's a 4th.

gernat is a bit prospect who wasn't making the oilers and maroon is 27 signed for two more years at $2. seems like a good buy low deal

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
The same media who was salivating for days before the Oduya signing when it leaked out that Dallas was negotiating with him, because that was the guy who would turn everything around on the back end.

The best case scenario is like with Jason Demers where a guy who was widely thought too be a below average / borderline top 4 d-man turned out to be average at his position. Except with Russel the equivalency is a guy who is thought to be just god awful at everything he is required to do to play his position turns out to be able to play 17 minutes a night oon the 3rd pairing without sinking the teams chances of beating anyone decent.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Hamhuis is a significant upgrade to most of Dallas's defense. He would have fit perfectly. I'm not sure exactly what Benning was asking for so it might not have made sense, but Kris Russell is really bad and Dallas probably got rid of a better player, not to mention the futures.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

My girlfriend pointed out a potential silver lining: he can block shots so Eaves doesn't have to/doesn't feel compelled to, and thus won't break himself again! :v:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Starsfan posted:

The same media who was salivating for days before the Oduya signing when it leaked out that Dallas was negotiating with him, because that was the guy who would turn everything around on the back end.

The best case scenario is like with Jason Demers where a guy who was widely thought too be a below average / borderline top 4 d-man turned out to be average at his position. Except with Russel the equivalency is a guy who is thought to be just god awful at everything he is required to do to play his position turns out to be able to play 17 minutes a night oon the 3rd pairing without sinking the teams chances of beating anyone decent.

Sorry, no. Kris Russell is awful.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What a boring as hell trade day.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, I'd be more than content to have overpaid for ham house if it meant we had nothing to do with Russell. God, what a stupid trade.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Mind_Taker posted:

Hamhuis is a significant upgrade to most of Dallas's defense. He would have fit perfectly. I'm not sure exactly what Benning was asking for so it might not have made sense, but Kris Russell is really bad and Dallas probably got rid of a better player, not to mention the futures.

I didnt mean too say that Hamhuis was the same as Russel, but giving up value for either one made no sense. You would but hard pressed to show that adding Hamhuis would put the Stars over teams like Anaheim, LA, Chicago, or St Louis. I dont think Hamhuis would have been a very good fit in Dallas anyway - not with the run and gun style the Stars play where the forwards fly the zone every chance they get and the #1 qualification for a d man is making 90 foot passes at high speed.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Martytoof posted:

What a boring as hell trade day.

We're... not done?

https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/704441533299351552

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
YES THANK YOU FLAMES

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?

Calgary: give us all of your "used to be good" goalies

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Haha, that's the dude who banked the puck off Matt Dumba's head into the net a couple weeks ago.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Should only be one Niklas Backstrom allowed in the NHL.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hand Knit posted:

We're... not done?

Oh dang I thought we were finished.

No idea why.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Pretty happy with the Flames' haul over the last few days. Four more picks, a decent prospect, and whatever they can get out of Jokipakka? Can't complain too much about that.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The ducks are eating 500k a year on Maroon's deal.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm sorry Boston fans for saying this thread isn't for you.

You traded away your 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th on your retooling year for October signed UFAs

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

ThinkTank posted:

:lol:. That is all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

Should only be one Niklas Backstrom allowed in the NHL.

There is. The other one is Nicklas.

(Also he's a faker and his real name is Lars.)

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

JollyPubJerk posted:

I'm sorry Boston fans for saying this thread isn't for you.

You traded away your 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th on your retooling year for October signed UFAs

Well the 2nd is next year, so, uh... yeah.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Because they already traded away this year's for Connolly.

They do have 2 1sts though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MassaShowtime posted:

The ducks are eating 500k a year on Maroon's deal.

I like Maroon. He's not great or anything but he seemed like a decent bottom 6 guy, and about what I'd want for 1.5 million per year on the third or fourth line.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
N: You thought Benning looked bad enough today? https://twitter.com/FarhanLaljiTSN/status/704465116549386241
V: I want to die.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Coyotes traded a bunch of poop for something called Matia Marcantuoni. Sounds like a pasta dish, is it any good?

e: Also, Plotnikov is playing against the Penguins right now. Has to be awkward as gently caress.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Yaya posted:

N: You thought Benning looked bad enough today? https://twitter.com/FarhanLaljiTSN/status/704465116549386241

Honestly, it's looking more and more like Hamhuis wouldn't have waived his NTC anyways so the whole thing is academic at this point.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

darkwolf220 posted:

Coyotes traded a bunch of poop for something called Matia Marcantuoni. Sounds like a pasta dish, is it any good?

e: Also, Plotnikov is playing against the Penguins right now. Has to be awkward as gently caress.

Plots is a good kid and he's good along the boards. I still think there's a player somewhere in there. Hope he does well for the Coyotes.

Marcantuoni is fast as hell but there's nothing else to his game. AHLer at best.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

grack posted:

Honestly, it's looking more and more like Hamhuis wouldn't have waived his NTC anyways so the whole thing is academic at this point.

He confirmed he waived for at least Dallas and Chicago

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
All part of Benning's plan. You take a step back in your results at the trade deadline to take a step forward at the draft.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How long is Backstrom under contract for?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Scorchy posted:

God dammit

Okay, new plan, learn voodoo, make voodoo doll, Benning spends every press conference punching himself in the groin.

grack fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 1, 2016

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Looks like I'll be seeing some more Dustin Jeffrey down here in WBS.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

cenotaph posted:

Looks like I'll be seeing some more Dustin Jeffrey down here in WBS.

There is going to be massive cheer when he gets announced Sunday. I hope that's not all there is to cheer about.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Yaya posted:

hahahaha holy poo poo

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Scorchy posted:

if that's true then god drat

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Yaya posted:

dale tallon may have his issues, but he is a much more comforting & calming & reassuring GM than benning could ever dream of being

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

The Vancouver radio guys were going on today about how Benning had the deal done and that ownership interfered with it at the last second, demanding more and unrealistic things. They also made it sound like the thing went sour due to a spat between the team owners that goes back to when Aquillini bought the Canucks and that Aquaman is still bitter about that lawsuit or whatever.

If it's true then I'm 100% out on this team until it's sold. Benning might be a crap GM but if he has an even worse owner pulling the strings behind the scenes then what's the loving point anymore?

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Number19 posted:

The Vancouver radio guys were going on today about how Benning had the deal done and that ownership interfered with it at the last second, demanding more and unrealistic things. They also made it sound like the thing went sour due to a spat between the team owners that goes back to when Aquillini bought the Canucks and that Aquaman is still bitter about that lawsuit or whatever.

I wonder what owner interferes with more, Aquaman or Mr. Barbados

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Hi guys, I didn't really follow the Habs in the past 40 days or so because they're way too loving depressing, but after I heard that DSP got traded I went full blown Randy_Marsh_internet_session.jpg

• Locked thread