Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Uncle Deadly as a game show host should totally be a webisode thing after the show ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
NO! YOU MADE ME THE FIRST PERSON IN THE WORLD TO LIE ON TWITTER!

Edit: "My mom likes quiet nights in and my dad likes my teacher."

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 24, 2016

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here

Axel Serenity posted:

I would be entirely ok with a show entirely about Pepe, Rizzo, and Gonzo.
This has to happen. They are by far the best part of the show

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo it's Dreama Walker

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Isometric Bacon posted:

How does US rating systems work anyway? Surely key audiences of this show would be watching it online on Hulu or whatever rather than on television. Thats how ive been watching it. (Not American, but i access Hulu through a VPN).

OK, I actually work in TV and deal with this stuff and it gets pretty complicated.

The only numbers that are released publicly are what are called Nielsen ratings.

Nielsen is a relatively antiquated setup where they select a statistically significant sample of households across demographics and ask them to record what they watch on TV every day. (Until very recently this was done in diaries. Yes, really.)

There are 3 numbers that advertisers (and thus, the networks) care about. The first are the live ratings, meaning those who actually watched it as it was being broadcast. No DVR. The second is what's called live+SD, or same-day. So if The Muppets airs at 8:30 but you watched it at 9:30 off your DVR, that counts towards the live+SD number. After that is what's called C3, which is how many people watched the show in a 3-day window from when it aired.

The numbers you see headlined everywhere are usually the live ratings, broken down into total viewers, and the key demographic (adults 18-49, the one most coveted by advertisers.) The networks themselves will usually highlight whatever makes them look best, whether it's their live+SD figures, their C3, whatever. Advertisers usually don't give a poo poo about live+SD or C3 ratings because they know drat well if you've got a DVR you're probably fast-forwarding through the ads. Since TV, and especially network TV like ABC, is primarily ad-supported, then they cater to the advertisers.

Do things like Hulu and web viewings matter? Yes. That's taken into consideration when networks are making cancel/renew decisions. But in all honesty viewer numbers through that stuff are still not nearly as big as people think it is, and the revenue stream from it is a fraction of what is brought in the old-fashioned way.

If The Muppets WERE a breakout success online, then you'd hear ABC blasting that out in press releases every week to try and cover how bad the Nielsen live ratings are. That they've been pretty quiet about it tells me that they aren't seeing anything worth writing home about.

Frankly if I were calling the shots and looking at this show's numbers I'd be reaching for the plug right about now. ABC has a history though of renewing shows whose numbers on paper don't really justify a second season (see: Galavant, Agent Carter), so the show has a chance, albeit a slim one.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Just a heads up, next week they're showing the final two episodes of the season.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Well, this last episode was the least bad of the bunch . Scooter had some good jokes like he usually does, and the game show sketch actually got genuine laughs out of me.

Unfortunately, the romance plot is so obviously shoehorned in and hits all the cliches right on beat. I want to like Pepe, Rizzo, and Gonzo, but they're just "those three guys" without much defining them from one another beyond "Pepe is kind of a playboy, Rizzo is a crooked kid, Gonzo is a burnout". They're the drat lead writers on a comedy show, and there's absolutely nothing to indicate that. And the ending joke just made no god drat sense.

I hate to say it, but this show is withering and killing it is a mercy.

e: Also, if Robin putting the wax in his mouth was a really strange reference to "bite the wax, tadpole", then man that is bizarre but I kind of like it

inthesto fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 24, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

macnbc posted:

ABC has a history though of renewing shows whose numbers on paper don't really justify a second season (see: Galavant, Agent Carter), so the show has a chance, albeit a slim one.

Of note, the man that championed all three of these shows was the president of ABC that was just asked to step down over ABC's awful ratings this year. The only one of the three that actually has a slim chance at renewal is Carter since that has both Disney and good numbers with women behind it.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

macnbc posted:

OK, I actually work in TV and deal with this stuff and it gets pretty complicated....

Thanks for the breakdown, I love reading about this information.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Personally, I appreciated the take the first half of the season had. It was a less cheery take at times (especially with Kermit's soul crushing middle management gig thing going on), but it seemed like a good outgrowth of The Office/Modern Family.

The Muppets are friends and they put on a show and they're just so whacky has been done to death +3 movies. Returning to that so we can see more of the prawn and then toss in the guest stars in minor roles just isn't working with me. Plus getting rid of Denise (along with one of the actual innovations of the show) is such a backslide.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
My personal beef with the show: It's too normal.

The Muppets are supposed to be weird. Like, you look back at the last couple of years (not just this series) and they'll trot out the Mahna Mahna song or whatever but it all has this feel like they're going through the motions without understanding what they mean.

Go back and watch the Muppet Show episode that Mahna Mahna premiered in. Watch it in context. Guess what? There isn't any. It's just dropped in the middle of the episode and makes absolutely no sense whatsoever but is still loving hilarious.

I feel like that's what this show is missing. Everything is playing off of well-worn tropes and sitcom beats. Even the talk show bits are just retreads of things you'd see on Fallon or Kimmel.

I'm not saying that the show needs to be a vaudeville variety show like the 70s series, but there's a certain spark, a willingness to do wild and crazy things, that this show is missing.

Like, if someone were to create The Muppets from scratch today as a new franchise, it wouldn't be on ABC. It'd be on Adult Swim. That's the sort of energy and weirdness that this show needs.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 26, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

inthesto posted:

Well, this last episode was the least bad of the bunch . Scooter had some good jokes like he usually does, and the game show sketch actually got genuine laughs out of me.

Unfortunately, the romance plot is so obviously shoehorned in and hits all the cliches right on beat. I want to like Pepe, Rizzo, and Gonzo, but they're just "those three guys" without much defining them from one another beyond "Pepe is kind of a playboy, Rizzo is a crooked kid, Gonzo is a burnout". They're the drat lead writers on a comedy show, and there's absolutely nothing to indicate that. And the ending joke just made no god drat sense.

I hate to say it, but this show is withering and killing it is a mercy.

e: Also, if Robin putting the wax in his mouth was a really strange reference to "bite the wax, tadpole", then man that is bizarre but I kind of like it

This one was actually the only episode I straight up couldn't watch all the way, I couldn't stand all that groanworthy romance plot poo poo. You know they're just loving itching all over to get Piggy and Kermit back together, and hopefully this show will be mercy killed before they have the chance to do that.

It's also continuing to suffer from the new stable wanting to write in as many obscure Muppets as possible, because Robin, really?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
This week's episode was very good.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Yeah this show isn't good.

I think the rework is supposed to make it more aligned with muppets being crazy but they didn't take it far enough and really the show could definitely make use of being an hour long and getting time to have jokes and plot rather than a half-hearted attempt at both.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

raditts posted:

It's also continuing to suffer from the new stable wanting to write in as many obscure Muppets as possible, because Robin, really?

Robin's appeared in 30 episodes of the original 70 Muppet Show (exactly 25%, over all 5 seasons) , a whole bunch of the movies (including the two most recent ones) and a whole bunch of TV specials and even had his own Playstation game. He's hardly obscure. :colbert:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, the tail episode was loving awesome.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Robin's appeared in 30 episodes of the original 70 Muppet Show (exactly 25%, over all 5 seasons) , a whole bunch of the movies (including the two most recent ones) and a whole bunch of TV specials and even had his own Playstation game. He's hardly obscure. :colbert:

Really? I certainly don't remember seeing him at all in the last two movies.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Robin's kind of lame, but the face he made when eating wax was really funny.

The show's okay, but I think the premise just needed more than MUPPETS TALK SHOW for the series to really be viable. Something to give it a season-long arc, maybe? Like, Miss Piggy walks off the set in the first episode and they spend the rest of the season convincing her to come back/looking for a suitable replacement while the rest of the characters fill time on-air. That would have allowed them to hit all the same beats they already have, but given the show a direction. If they don't get their show back on track, it gets canned. Just like the actual show.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

raditts posted:

I can only remember him from the original movie (in the theater scenes) and Christmas Carol (as Tiny Tim).

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

FilthyImp posted:

Plus getting rid of Denise (along with one of the actual innovations of the show) is such a backslide.

I'm pretty sure Denise was just a publicity stunt to get people talking about and interested in the show, and Kermit and Piggy would have ended up back together, reboot or not.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I liked the most recent episode (though the romance poo poo was a little thick), it felt more like the first part of the season which I enjoyed.

though these could all be much better with more Gloria Estefan.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I find it ironic that this last episode makes it a point to bring up a plot about someone not wanting things to change almost immediately after the show was retooled to force Kermit/Piggy drama back into it.

The first ten episodes of this were pretty great; but besides Pepe and Rizzo, the recent ones are fairly dire. I think the 'reboot' is gonna kill the show.

Maybe we'll get a Pepe and Rizzo spinoff (ie, the best part of the show)? You could bring Gonzo in for the weird chicken jokes I guess...

e: Drunk Pepe was amazing though, and I lost it at the "Breakfast"/"Potential Offspring" gag. Although WTF was up with the chicken randomly having her feathers fall out in the last scene?

Inkspot posted:

Robin's kind of lame, but the face he made when eating wax was really funny.

The show's okay, but I think the premise just needed more than MUPPETS TALK SHOW for the series to really be viable. Something to give it a season-long arc, maybe? Like, Miss Piggy walks off the set in the first episode and they spend the rest of the season convincing her to come back/looking for a suitable replacement while the rest of the characters fill time on-air. That would have allowed them to hit all the same beats they already have, but given the show a direction. If they don't get their show back on track, it gets canned. Just like the actual show.

Robin's wax face really was great for a half-second gag.

I still think they should have stuck with the talk-show paradigm the show started with; have the season arc be that Piggy is out of touch with reality/not as popular as she thinks she is and her viewership is falling, people are turning down appearances on her show, etc, and the crew is trying to find a way to make the show work.

Open season two with the show having been canceled, but the crew having pitched a replacement to the network: A serialized drama, a Muppet X-Files or something. Then the second season is all these iconic muppets trying to act against their natures (Kermit and Piggy are the Mulder/Sculler analogues, maybe Fozzy is the Cigar-Smoking Man, etc).

Third season for some reason the show has been retooled AGAIN, this time into a sitcom. You can have fun mixing up a bunch of tropes and characters (Swedish Chef as the next-door neighbor dispensing 'advice' from behind a fence, a la Home Improvement?).

Basically the show should have been about throwing the Muppets in an increasingly varied series of situations and seeing how whacky things got because it's the Muppets, whacky is part of the package.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 26, 2016

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

WarLocke posted:

Although WTF was up with the chicken randomly having her feathers fall out in the last scene?

It was just a really, really bad joke from front to back. Camilla having hot human friends was already a punchline to the setup from earlier in the episode. For some reason, the writers dragged it out with the line "let's have an ironic pillow fight, like in the movies". What the hell? We don't know enough about these bit characters to be able to buy that line, and the sexy pillow fight is a thing that's been dead for at least a decade. The entire thing reeked of "oh poo poo, we need to cram another joke in here to fill time".

Uncle Deadly and Scooter are the only two redeeming features of the show right now.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

inthesto posted:

Uncle Deadly and Scooter are the only two redeeming features of the show right now.

Uncle Deadly I'll give you, but Scooter I don't find that funny.

Pepe and Rizzo are the best Muppets. :colbert:

Although I never caught the name of the one bed-monster looking Muppet that's always yelling and eating everything (who swallowed the dog in this episode - "He got the ball. He's happy."), something about how simple and silly his 'thing' is always gets a laugh out of me.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WarLocke posted:

Although I never caught the name of the one bed-monster looking Muppet that's always yelling and eating everything (who swallowed the dog in this episode - "He got the ball. He's happy."), something about how simple and silly his 'thing' is always gets a laugh out of me.

Big Mean Carl.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

WarLocke posted:

I still think they should have stuck with the talk-show paradigm the show started with; have the season arc be that Piggy is out of touch with reality/not as popular as she thinks she is and her viewership is falling, people are turning down appearances on her show, etc, and the crew is trying to find a way to make the show work.

This is almost exactly what they did though. And besides, in the first 10 episodes, the talk show "on-air" segments were the worst part. I'll take a somewhat shoe-horned in but funny Fallon-esque sketch over Piggy masking contempt for yet another guest star.

WarLocke posted:

Open season two with the show having been canceled, but the crew having pitched a replacement to the network: A serialized drama, a Muppet X-Files or something. Then the second season is all these iconic muppets trying to act against their natures (Kermit and Piggy are the Mulder/Sculler analogues, maybe Fozzy is the Cigar-Smoking Man, etc).
This is a great idea, but I don't think it holds enough water for a full season. There are only so many jokes you can pull out of silly characters attempting to act serious.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Well, enjoyed those last two episodes, especially the finale. Post re-tooling its lost a fair bit of the sardonic edge, but it still managed to make me laugh outloud a few times.

Fingers crossed for a Season 2.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

raditts posted:

Halfway up the stairs is the stair where I sit. Dude is in the Muppet hall of fame for that alone.

I am glad they still had space for Chip, the IT Guy. I really liked the image of him chewing ice.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Cemetry Gator posted:

Halfway up the stairs is the stair where I sit. Dude is in the Muppet hall of fame for that alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPhuafy0G3I

I like Robin. His character involves a lot of him being sad and not knowing how to handle that sadness so he tries to cover it up by being compulsively cheerful all the time. I can understand why people might not like that because not everyone thinks sad children are funny, but I do.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
As a kid, Robin always had that Scrappy-Doo effect on me. An unwanted side character who is defined only by his Mini-Me relationship to a main character. I assumed most people saw it the same way when I was young. I did want to see him in this, but if I was writing he'd be inattentive teenager. The kind of older kid who couldn't put down his smartphone, which would have been a relatable joke for the older parent crowd and also sort of an acknowledgement that if you didn't like him before when he was a tadpole walking the line between earnest and naive, then it's okay to continue not liking him.

I could see Disney not wanting to mess with his canon characterization though, if only they weren't messing with the canon characterization of every primary character in the Muppets cast right now.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
How have they messsed with them, other than now making them occasionally say tongue-in-cheek jokes for adults?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Well, they broke up the main pair (even if it's just to reunite them in time), made it clear that Gonzo is a middle-aged shell of himself even if he is visually identical, and Piggy seems a lot more emotionally vulnerable than before what with her realizing that her personality drives people away or struggling to subvert pig stereotypes in different episodes. The only long-termer that is consistently the same as they've always been since The Muppet Show is Fozzie. The good part is, as mentioned, that the long term arc of the show seems to be the characters finding their old selves eventually.

Some of the changes to Piggy especially I'm not sure about. They've mostly done an alright job, but I kind of liked the old Frank Oz era of the character better because, aside from Muppet Babies which I try to forget about, she was a strong woman who acted like a television stereotype of a woman only because she was obsessed with the mirage of Hollywood. The high-pitched, gracious, starlet Piggy is who she wants you to think she is. The Piggy that takes no guff from nobody and can karate chop anything dead is who Piggy actually is.

They've cast her now in this sort of middling ground, which works for the plot of the show but I'm not personally wild about.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I'll need this back by Friday! I'm goin' to a meadow!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
NEW VETENARIAN'S HOSPITAL

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Manamana

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Doot doooo dadoodoot!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
That's because no airline serves pre-flight calzones.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think I've finally figured out my take on this show: it's a series of great moments and characters in service of a story I can't bring myself to care about. Any time it's just riffing it's hilarious and charming, but the second they start advancing the plot my eyes glaze over.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So 4-some episodes in to the reboot and Pizz-cha is neutralized as their antagonist? And now w'ere facing a reversal of the situation where Piggy is ambivalent and Kermit is looking to reconnect?

Blah.

I was thinking about the season and I think my favorite episode was the one where Piggy helps Kermit with the present for Denise. It's awkward enough to be funny, grounded with something that could happen with someone like Kermit, and ended on a beautifully executed burn by Piggy. Getting away from that was just a mistake to me.

Not that it matters. Feels like they tried to burn off the rest of the season episodes so that when it's cancelled no one will really remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I love that Gloria Estefan became a cast regular and not just a one off joke

FilthyImp posted:

So 4-some episodes in to the reboot and Pizz-cha is neutralized as their antagonist?

Well it's not as if they need an antagonist any more ...

• Locked thread