Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Namtab posted:

Can't you walk or cycle?

not over water, lad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
what are your feelings on pedalos?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
There is the Tilbury ferry, though.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

XMNN posted:

I think Adam Johnson is getting what he deserves

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Spangly A posted:

not over water, lad

Swim

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC

XMNN posted:

has there ever been a toll that was supposed to pay for the construction costs that got cancelled?

I know the mersey tunnels didn't, and I suspect when they do it for the bridges at runcorn it won't
I'm appalled that they're doing that with the Runcorn bridge. Traffic is awful so a second bridge is badly needed, and building it will provide economic benefits anyway, so why not just build the drat thing? (I'm particularly annoyed because I'm about to move to Runcorn and start commuting across it.)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Refugees? The EU is the real victim of this menace

quote:

Russia and Syria are deliberately using migration as an aggressive strategy towards Europe, the senior Nato commander in Europe has said.

US Gen Philip Breedlove said they were "weaponising" migration to destabilise and undermine the continent.

He also suggested that criminals, extremists and fighters were hiding in the flow of migrants.

Thanks very helpful you gently caress

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Seems plausible.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Pissflaps posted:

Seems plausible.

You know what is also plausible?

Migrant time bombs!! All of them are in fact bombs waiting to go off and they don't even know it! Walking by with their lives and *BOOM*, a massacre of epic proportions. The white people will get scared and panicky, they will look at people who aren't white and look foriegn with the sight of seeing an bomb in front of them.

That's what I would do if I were an evil socio/psychopath with no remorse for humanity or at the least, brits.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

That dopey fat smelly basterd has been the MP of where my parents live for 20 years. Im struggling to think of a point apart from how much I hate the oval office.

Errrmm clearly doent understand technology and voted against same sex marriage that will do

quote:

Whittingdale was among the 175 MPs who voted against the Same-sex Marriage Bill in 2013.[8] In 2014 Whittingdale along with six other Conservative Party MPs voted against the Equal Pay (Transparency) Bill which would require all companies with more than 250 employees to declare the gap in pay between the average male and average female salaries.[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Whittingdale

e: ok he did smell pretty bad when i met him but thats not really fair he might have just had a long day or something

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
at least if xenophobia wins we get to see a massively underskilled Europe tear itself to shreds and lie ruined by the dominance of China, India and Brazil during the great food and antibiotic shortages to come

the moral victory is ours, comrades

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
There absolutely are criminals, extremists and fighters among the migrants. The vast majority of them aren't anything of the sort, but I guarantee they're there. The idea is that saving hundreds of thousands from death in Syria is worth the elevated risk of a few hundred deaths in Europe.

The fun doesn't come from insisting that every single migrant is a saint but from watching anti-refugee people try to explain why they think that isn't a good trade without admitting it's because Europeans are white.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

The fun doesn't come from insisting that every single migrant is a saint but from watching anti-refugee people try to explain why they think that isn't a good trade without admitting it's because Europeans are white.
Well there is another reason, it's because deaths that happen far away are less psychologically troubling and easier to put out of mind than ones closer to home.

I didn't say it was a good reason.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah but instead of the problem being the EU's utter failure to handle the issue in a coordinated way as a union, it's actually all the fault of evil Russia and by letting migrants in we're letting the enemy win

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

His name is Breedlove?

I am living in a fictional universe and I claim my five pounds.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Well sure, every time a nuclear war didn't happen we got moved into a less likely alternative universe.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Guavanaut posted:

Well sure, every time a nuclear war didn't happen we got moved into a less likely alternative universe.

We're all just a Philip K. Dick acid dream I guess.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

JFairfax posted:

if you live within spitting distance of a motorway junction you aint in the goddamn countryside you loving morons

And even if they were, a field is just a lovely lawn that makes somebody money, maybe. They don't even look nice, it's not like they're losing deciduous woodland or anything.

Which is another thing, what do you want to bet these are exactly the same people paving over their front gardens to make room for another lexus, collectively eroding their town's flood resistance?

XMNN posted:

NO gently caress YOU DAD's mum mishears, and gets a case of the vapours at the thought of a bunch of pedalos moving in down the street.

Guavanaut posted:

Well there is another reason, it's because deaths that happen far away are less psychologically troubling and easier to put out of mind than ones closer to home.

I didn't say it was a good reason.

It is a strong reason though. It's the same thing that makes people roll their eyes and tell you to stop being melodramatic when you call IDS a murderer, or point out that death is the most likely outcome of any "send 'em back" policy.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Yeah but instead of the problem being the EU's utter failure to handle the issue in a coordinated way as a union, it's actually all the fault of evil Russia and by letting migrants in we're letting the enemy win
There's a grain of truth to it, though. There's no question that Europe has massively mishandled the refugee crisis, but there's equally no doubt that the longer Europe spends tearing itself apart, the longer Assad and Putin have to get their own house in order. Assad would be happy turning Syria into a wasteland so long as it had a port for Russia and a palace for himself, so while he's probably not bussing people to the border or pushing them onto boats, I doubt he's doing much to stop the people that are.

I don't think that means we should shut the borders, though, because unlike Mr Breedlove I haven't been specifically trained to think of groups of people as less like groups of people and more like those little triangles you move around in Risk.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Renaissance Robot posted:

NO gently caress YOU DAD's mum mishears, and gets a case of the vapours at the thought of a bunch of pedalos moving in down the street.
Get a couple of good headlines in the Sun and we'll have her believing that 25% of Britain is pedalos by the end of next week.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Renaissance Robot posted:

It is a strong reason though. It's the same thing that makes people roll their eyes and tell you to stop being melodramatic when you call IDS a murderer
That is happening closer to home though. I guess that's where we get into geography vs. ideology and that the press have been deliberately making it feel far away.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
http://fortune.com/2016/03/01/uk-investigatory-powers/

Apparently the final draft of the Investigatory Powers Bill is done.

"Data includes any information that is not data.”
“‘Data’ includes data which is not electronic data and any information (whether or not electronic).”

Home Office. :allears:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Kaislioc posted:

http://fortune.com/2016/03/01/uk-investigatory-powers/

Apparently the final draft of the Investigatory Powers Bill is done.

"Data includes any information that is not data.”
“‘Data’ includes data which is not electronic data and any information (whether or not electronic).”

Home Office. :allears:

Ah they're using the physics/astronomy definition of data, i.e. everything that hasn't been sucked into a black hole.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

namesake posted:

Ah they're using the physics/astronomy definition of data, i.e. everything that hasn't been sucked into a black hole.
It's troubling that information beyond an event horizon is currently outside the reach of the intelligence services. Can we allow the existence of such warrant-free singularities?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

namesake posted:

Pretty much their same definition of 'psychoactive' too.
Oh god...is data psychoactive too? :tinfoil:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

It's troubling that information beyond an event horizon is currently outside the reach of the intelligence services. Can we allow the existence of such warrant-free singularities?
:golfclap:

Pesky Splinter posted:

Pretty much their same definition of 'psychoactive' too.
gently caress don't give them ideas. A full ban on manufacturing or distributing any information that has the ability to change a person's mind. :suicide:

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Large group of doctors urge government to ban contact Rugby in schools.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35696238

Maybe not as important as the snoopers charter or brexit, but it's one of those things where I honestly have to sit back and think a moment. I enjoyed Rugby because I was poo poo at football and it provided an alternative way to take part in that social element of school. But on the other hand, it does gently caress kids up and there's no real good reason aside from 'character building' (I prefer to read this as social moulding) bullshit given by coaches and whatnot.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ocrassus posted:

Maybe not as important as the snoopers charter or brexit, but it's one of those things where I honestly have to sit back and think a moment. I enjoyed Rugby because I was poo poo at football and it provided an alternative way to take part in that social element of school. But on the other hand, it does gently caress kids up and there's no real good reason aside from 'character building' (I prefer to read this as social moulding) bullshit given by coaches and whatnot.

loving hell I broke my nose the last time I played rugby and i have to say seriously, harden the gently caress up, you're going to get injuries in any sort of sport and rugby is probably a darn sight safer than american football.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They could probably reach a middle ground with mandatory protective equipment, as long as that didn't have the same effect as in gridiron football where tackling is replaced with head-first charges. Or gloves in boxing where torso hits were replaced with beating around the head.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Ludicro posted:

I can believe it. My girlfriend and I went on a trip to Great Yarmouth last October, and as expected there had been an incident earlier in the day in the crossing area and the backlog was still clearing. Took a good 2 and a half hours to get through the tunnel. Honestly unless its the dead of night if I was travelling anywhere further north above London that was not in Essex or directly above, I'd take the long way around the M25 as it would be faster.

I can believe this too. I suppose its plain old selfishness mixed in with a desire to resist any kind of change at all cost.

To illustrate the point I made earlier, the red overlay is the proposed Junction 10A over an image of what the area is currently like.

As you can see, its really minimal; effectively a roundabout and a single new road.The practical effect this would have of course is that all traffic that doesn't actually need to through J10 would be able to bypass it, due to the way the town has expanded J10 has become much busier over the years. Naturally there was a meeting at the church near where I live to discuss ways to oppose this development. A roundabout and a road is tantamount to concreting over the whole countryside apparently.

Always weird seeing the place I live and work turn up in UKMT, but yeah. There's a few new housing estates around anyway but people will not. stop. whinging about this sort of bollocks. It's amazing anything gets done in Kent at all.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ocrassus posted:

I played rugby in school. Well, I played for the school twice. We got utterly steamrolled both times, and my memory of the first game is pretty much non-existent because I got a big concussion after a hefty tackle (not helped by the fact we barely got any training in so nobody actually showed me how to take a tackle safely), was taken out of the game for about one minute to "catch your breath" & then sent back on. Which is kind of bonkers in hindsight.

JFairfax posted:

loving hell I broke my nose the last time I played rugby and i have to say seriously, harden the gently caress up, you're going to get injuries in any sort of sport and rugby is probably a darn sight safer than american football.

In fairness, American football isn't a massive attraction in British schools. Also, it's not really worrying about broken noses or even broken legs & arms, it's purely a concern about concussion. And it's not as if the discussion is solely around youth rugby: I have vague memories of some chatter about maybe heading a football repeatedly causing micro-concussions and maybe headers should be banned from youth football. Which sounds like the sort of thing that you'd make up to show that it's political correctness gone mad Stew, but I swear it's true.

People take concussions really loving seriously now. Maybe it's an over-reaction but after decades of ignoring them that's probably inevitable. Though I did think Brian Moore made a fair point on Twitter, if you can't teach kids how to tackle safely when they are young then suddenly you're going to have a bunch of fully developed adults learning which has a whole added risk.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

There's a grain of truth to it, though. There's no question that Europe has massively mishandled the refugee crisis, but there's equally no doubt that the longer Europe spends tearing itself apart, the longer Assad and Putin have to get their own house in order. Assad would be happy turning Syria into a wasteland so long as it had a port for Russia and a palace for himself, so while he's probably not bussing people to the border or pushing them onto boats, I doubt he's doing much to stop the people that are.

I don't think that means we should shut the borders, though, because unlike Mr Breedlove I haven't been specifically trained to think of groups of people as less like groups of people and more like those little triangles you move around in Risk.

Well of course the EU's failure to handle the crisis properly benefits its enemies, that's stating the obvious. But using phrases like "weaponising migration", and then talking about all the dangerous people in amongst the people fleeing to the EU for sanctuary - that would be problematic even without the sheer hostility and xenophobia sweeping the EU at the moment. He's literally recasting refugees as weapons attacking Europe, and the EU's failure to work together as being the victim. He can get to gently caress with his 'just sayin'

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

forkboy84 posted:

I played rugby in school. Well, I played for the school twice. We got utterly steamrolled both times, and my memory of the first game is pretty much non-existent because I got a big concussion after a hefty tackle (not helped by the fact we barely got any training in so nobody actually showed me how to take a tackle safely), was taken out of the game for about one minute to "catch your breath" & then sent back on. Which is kind of bonkers in hindsight.

if you tackle properly in rugby your head shouldn't get hit, I agree that being pushed out on a pitch to play for the school team without any practice is bonkers. My secondary school was in the countryside (think hot fuzz) so it was a state one but had plenty of rugby pitches and you started from year 7.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Guavanaut posted:

They could probably reach a middle ground

There already exists a middle ground. It's touch rugby.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
In Ireland you're not allowed to do proper line outs and scrums are non competing until you join the senior cup team level (17+).

All players should have to wear a scrum cap or something though and harsher penalties for intentional high tackles. Banning the sport would suck though, I really enjoyed myself.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Ocrassus posted:

The long term effects of several repeat concussions is pretty horrific though. And there not as simple to detect as previously thought. It's a huge deal in
MMA, boxing and Pro Wrestling right now and has forced several of the top names out after new tests showed extensive brain damage that isn't being allowed to heal but the brain would create new pathways to compensate for the damaged tissue. It's basically why the mortality rate in these professions is so high.

Also it has been known to increase homicidal tendencies, see Chris Benoit.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
The effects of a single concussion (ie the brain damage it causes) can persist for months afterwards and it's now very strongly suspected that repeat concussions raise your risk for CTE, which is a fairly horrible way to die as your brain shrivels away. Given that children's brains are still developing it doesn't seem unreasonable to take even more care with them.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 3, 2016

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I loving loved playing rugby at school because of the violence, not in spite of it. Kids are going to do dangerous poo poo regardless- (I got knocked out twice in fights, never on the field) train the kids better, fund the NHS more. Otherwise more kids are gonna come out of school with straight noses and no experience of the sheer joy of flattening someone you hate into the mud- and that's a bad thing.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Gonzo McFee posted:

Also it has been known to increase homicidal tendencies, see Chris Benoit.

I was always under the impression that that one was a 'roid rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Kids like smoking too, and most of then will never get lung cancer, but I still don't think schools should make it compulsory

• Locked thread