Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Xenoletum posted:

So, from what I'm gathering, we should be slashing the tires of the busses of opposing teams and starting brawls?

Who do I call about picking up a sandwich board.

I'm unsure how you gathered that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

I'm glad we don't get goals

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Dynamo picked up some guy named Collen Warner

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Hungryjack posted:

Dynamo picked up some guy named Collen Warner

we ripped you off :smug:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Xenoletum posted:

So, from what I'm gathering, we should be slashing the tires of the busses of opposing teams and starting brawls?

Who do I call about picking up a sandwich board.

1906 Ultras can probably hook you up.

But really the point is the same. This needs to stop being a training/retirement league where the best players go off to Europe to be have their slots filled with plodders.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Every league in the american continent is like that, you guys just need to embrace it because the MLS will never be a top league like the European ones. Aim at Mexico/Brazil/Argentina quality and leave it at that.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Yea every league but like 3 in the world develop and then sell talent. Get used to it. The real issue with our league is that teams have only have the ability to spend 20 mil on 3 players instead of one million on 20. That would actually remedy the quality problem in a more significant manner and really quickly.

Eelface
Jul 23, 2002

foobardog posted:

1906 Ultras can probably hook you up.

But really the point is the same. This needs to stop being a training/retirement league where the best players go off to Europe to be have their slots filled with plodders.

1906 is no more it's just the San Jose Ultras cmon!!!!

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
i just want a less poo poo garbage league tbh

things like not playing in nfl stadia would super sweet

also i will relish the day when i don't pay real literal money (not that fake loonie poo poo) to watch something called patrick doody kick a ball

idk if this stupid league became popular whether the overall fanbase would be more or less enjoyable, too. it's still a coin toss for me if i'd rather have the average autistic weirdo american soccer fanbase over the average american knuckle dragging sister loving dumb as gently caress football fanbase.

you know, babby steps to make this joke league less of a joke league

-sent frum my new dcu iphone

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Eelface posted:

sorry

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Eelface posted:

Ahh, the Philip Morris strategy.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Fucitol posted:

i just want a less poo poo garbage league tbh

things like not playing in nfl stadia would super sweet

How many teams even play in NFL stadia, though? I think there are a grand total of 3-5 depending on how picky you are about "NFL" or the verb tense of the word "play" - and if the Sounders and Atlanta can actually fill their NFL stadia then more power to them.

I kinda suspect that if the league becomes popular enough to make enough money to pay vastly better players than Patrick Doody to fill domestic roster spots, it'll come with a less enjoyable fanbase. The vast majority of English soccer fans are just as dumb as American football fans, and if a bunch of Ivy League snobs hadn't insisted on being contrarian about their college sports back in the 19th century we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Even given the terrible turf and tarps, I'd much rather play in CenturyLink than some terrible new stadium that will probably be in Bellevue or somewhere like that.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
We'd be lucky if said stadium was as close as Bellevue. It'd be in Tacoma and everyone would hate it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dallan Invictus posted:

How many teams even play in NFL stadia, though? I think there are a grand total of 3-5 depending on how picky you are about "NFL" or the verb tense of the word "play" - and if the Sounders and Atlanta can actually fill their NFL stadia then more power to them.

I kinda suspect that if the league becomes popular enough to make enough money to pay vastly better players than Patrick Doody to fill domestic roster spots, it'll come with a less enjoyable fanbase. The vast majority of English soccer fans are just as dumb as American football fans, and if a bunch of Ivy League snobs hadn't insisted on being contrarian about their college sports back in the 19th century we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

careful

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

Dallan Invictus posted:

i mean it would certainly be nice if orlando nycfc dcu new england seattle atlanta philly and portland were currently residing in better venues to display some dudes kicking some balls. at least san jose moved on from some college campus's set of bleachers surrounding a patch of grass to a more respectable set up. tho you are right in that most of the teams i listed barely cover the "play" aspect of the sport. so there is that.

Dallan Invictus posted:

like i said, coin toss over the current autists or prospective dumb fucks. six of one, i guess.

whypick1 posted:

We'd be lucky if said stadium was as close as Bellevue. It'd be in Tacoma and everyone would hate it.

idgaf if seattle's stadium is in the danged pacific. ffs microsoft's employees playing that dumb loving harry potter thing get better field conditions than your team. lol

-posted from benny olsen's 1980's cell phone

Fucitol fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 3, 2016

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Nostradingus posted:

Is it just me or has it been a really quiet offseason? I can't think of any big moves, other than Old People to LA and I guess Davis to KC?

No see we signed Tim Howard, the league is ours...

Hold me.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?

Nostradingus posted:

Is it just me or has it been a really quiet offseason? I can't think of any big moves, other than Old People to LA and I guess Davis to KC?

Gashi to Colorado. I think. We still have Pablo though so...:doh:

Moktaro posted:

No see we signed Tim Howard, the league is ours...

Hold me.

:sympathy:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Is there any talk about installing grass in CenturyLink? I feel like it's something that would happen if the US were awarded a World Cup, since Seattle would kill to have games up there and there's no way they'd be allowed that with turf. I've always heard it's something that could be done but that it would cost $Texas in that stadium and nobody wants to foot the bill.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Even if Seattle got a World Cup game, natural grass would be a one-time thing.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Our stadium is just fine, gently caress you very much.

There are long range plans to piss off the super exclusive athletic club just south of the stadium by building more stands on their end. And even more long range plans to build more private suites and another level of seating above that above the east stands.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

All the MLS teams crashed out of the CONCACAF CL but does anyone care? Seriously when my team is in it I hope they don't get embarrassed but the tournament happens at such a ridiculous time it's pointless reading anything into it. People (mexicans) pretend like the preseason excuse isn't a valid one when it absolutely is. Add to that there's zero prestige or money and of course the results write themselves. If the tournament was moved to a time when both Mexico and MLS were in season for a bit then I'd actually start to care.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

highme posted:

It's turf.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

still not clear why seattle and portland don't have grass

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

be nice wicka posted:

still not clear why seattle and portland don't have grass

It's because, you see, there is a creek, and of course there's rain, but not like torrential rain, just soggy with mold growing on your car because you biked to work today, and

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Seltzer posted:

All the MLS teams crashed out of the CONCACAF CL but does anyone care? Seriously when my team is in it I hope they don't get embarrassed but the tournament happens at such a ridiculous time it's pointless reading anything into it. People (mexicans) pretend like the preseason excuse isn't a valid one when it absolutely is. Add to that there's zero prestige or money and of course the results write themselves. If the tournament was moved to a time when both Mexico and MLS were in season for a bit then I'd actually start to care.

The offseason is so short that I want to say a winning team that can keep its core together should be able to show up and not be a total disaster. Seattle lost Oba, DC didn't finish strong, but there is no excuse for what LA trotted out there.

Portland doesn't have grass due to a combination of factors that might give way in a few years if the team keeps making money and the right combination of international opportunities come knocking. But the place only holds 22,000 now and expansion space is very limited. So they will probably continue to settle for quality turf, which is not what Seattle has.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

highme posted:

There are long range plans to piss off the super exclusive athletic club just south of the stadium by building more stands on their end. And even more long range plans to build more private suites and another level of seating above that above the east stands.

the MAC is not super exclusive lol

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

porkface posted:

So they will probably continue to settle for quality turf, which is not what Seattle has.

Cool outdated slam bro

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2916529/Seahawks-Sounders-get-new-turf-at-CenturyLink-Field

quote:

It's called Revolution 360 by FieldTurf, which manufactured the surface that was previously used at CenturyLink Field. According to the press release, four other NFL stadiums use FieldTurf: Atlanta's Georgia Dome, Detroit's Ford Field, Indianapolis' Lucas Oil Stadium and New England's Gillette Stadium, which is also home to an MLS team. Portland's Providence Park is the other MLS stadium with FieldTurf.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Speaking of turf: rumors are swirling that Drogba is going to train in Florida for the first month of the season instead of traveling with the team, because 4 of Montreal's first 5 games are on turf.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Epic google copy paste except the Seahawks deliberately play on extremely worn out turf because its faster and its worse for soccer than the Timbers lovely turf

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Oh that's good news.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

African AIDS cum posted:

the MAC is not super exclusive lol

I think he's making fun of the Mariners.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

porkface posted:

The offseason is so short that I want to say a winning team that can keep its core together should be able to show up and not be a total disaster. Seattle lost Oba, DC didn't finish strong, but there is no excuse for what LA trotted out there.

Why is you losing Oba, but basically staying the same 11 from last year justifiable, but LA losing two of it's core leaders, shuffling their entire Back 5, and having 4 new players in the starting 11 not show up until halfway through preseason not ok? We played a good first leg, could've/should've scored a couple. In the second leg, every half chance Santos had went in and they used our new defense's lack of familiarity and communication against us. It happens. Would it happen if MLS had been playing for a couple weeks already? Yeah, we might have lost, but it would have been much closer.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

porkface posted:

Portland doesn't have grass due to a combination of factors that might give way in a few years if the team keeps making money and the right combination of international opportunities come knocking. But the place only holds 22,000 now and expansion space is very limited. So they will probably continue to settle for quality turf, which is not what Seattle has.

This is my issue with how LA played and the typical MLS in CCL excuses.

:downs: MLS is still in preseason!

Like you said, I think offseason is short enough that this isn't as drastic as some people think

:downs: MLS teams can't afford enough good players to compete

Except LA figured out a way to put Keane, Gerrard, Gio, De Jong, Van Damme, Zardez, Rogers, and Kennedy all on the same field and stay "within the cap"

:downs: Mexico away is a hostile environment and it's hard to win there

Agreed, except these are loving proven veterans who have played in the largest rivalries known to the sport. I'm not asking for a dominating performance, but don't lose 4-0. Passing was poor, defense was poor, finishing was poor. The basic soccer skills shown on the field the other night were bad.

Garber's plan to be a top league by 2020 is a joke. We won't even be the top league in the federation.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tank44 posted:

I think he's making fun of the Mariners.

No, the Timbers Army gets super mad about the MAC. It's a nice place to workout, but for some reason they get really upset about people exercising and watching the game.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Tigren posted:

This is my issue with how LA played and the typical MLS in CCL excuses.

:downs: MLS is still in preseason!

Like you said, I think offseason is short enough that this isn't as drastic as some people think

:downs: MLS teams can't afford enough good players to compete

Except LA figured out a way to put Keane, Gerrard, Gio, De Jong, Van Damme, Zardez, Rogers, and Kennedy all on the same field and stay "within the cap"

:downs: Mexico away is a hostile environment and it's hard to win there

Agreed, except these are loving proven veterans who have played in the largest rivalries known to the sport. I'm not asking for a dominating performance, but don't lose 4-0. Passing was poor, defense was poor, finishing was poor. The basic soccer skills shown on the field the other night were bad.

Garber's plan to be a top league by 2020 is a joke. We won't even be the top league in the federation.

I think the preseason argument carries way more weight than the other two arguments.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

SeaTard posted:

No, the Timbers Army gets super mad about the MAC. It's a nice place to workout, but for some reason they get really upset about people exercising and watching the game.

Nothing stopping them from doing simple cardio and body weight routines in their section. 20 burpees for the 20th minute, hop to it.

Also Davy Arnaud retired and all trace of Rev Girls is missing

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Being in preseason is a completely massive disadvantage and the fact that LA had just slotted in De Jong and Van Damme actually makes things more difficult. Those guys have probably been training together for a week. Imagine how well Juventus would fair against Bayern if they just played their knockout tie coming out of preseason. Juve took like 10 games to hit their stride after losing Pirlo, Vidal etc. Roster turnover is big in MLS and not being in season is a massive detriment to any team. I just hope they change the schedule so I can care about the CCL and it helps shut up overly smug mexicans who get to pretend their garbage teams are that much better than they are.

e- also stop trotting out the 2020 line no one in this forum believes it. Will be turklig level by 2040 if we're lucky and we know it.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 3, 2016

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Y'all are selling Garber short: He's predicting MLS will be a top league by 2022. That's two extra years!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Hoover Dam posted:

Nothing stopping them from doing simple cardio and body weight routines in their section. 20 burpees for the 20th minute, hop to it.

Most get winded shuffling 5 feet doing Tetris for 30 seconds.

• Locked thread