Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
https://twitter.com/davpope/status/702693044055748609

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Since I get all my American political info from the Poltoons thread, could someone give me a quick run-down on the whole Hillary email scandal? An American colleague of mine is convinced that it's the reason Hillary didn't become V.P. with Obama, and that it's the reason she'll lose to Trump. Is it that toxic an issue? From a distance it seems to be a huge overreaction and a witch-hunt, but I don't know any of the details.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Afriscipio posted:

Since I get all my American political info from the Poltoons thread, could someone give me a quick run-down on the whole Hillary email scandal? An American colleague of mine is convinced that it's the reason Hillary didn't become V.P. with Obama, and that it's the reason she'll lose to Trump. Is it that toxic an issue? From a distance it seems to be a huge overreaction and a witch-hunt, but I don't know any of the details.

So something she did as SoS is the reason she got SoS instead of VP?

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

duz posted:

So something she did as SoS is the reason she got SoS instead of VP?

I might have misunderstood.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Afriscipio posted:

A hearty lol to this idea. She didn't become VP because it's a useless office mainly used to shore up a candidate's weaknesses, and SoS allowed her to brush up on her foreign policy bona fides. Not to mention the timeline doesn't work.

As for the scandal there's not really enough information to say for certain but chances are they'll uncover some mishandling of information contrary to policy but not illegal and the whole thing will fizzle. Remember that an indictment would have to be signed off on by the Department of Justice, which would certainly keep Obama in the loop and we'd see the whole thing telegraphed way in advance as Clinton pivoted to damage control or, if it was bad enough, to drop out early.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

I usually read First Dog but boy howdy that is a lot of words.

You should definitely not skip this one.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

CuwiKhons posted:

I usually read First Dog but boy howdy that is a lot of words.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The email scandal, in short, is that as Secretary of State she used a privately owned server for emails rather than a government-provided one, with possible security and record-keeping implications.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

The email scandal, in short, is that as Secretary of State she used a privately owned server for emails rather than a government-provided one, with possible security and record-keeping implications.

But is it a campaign-killing issue, like on a scale of Watergate? 'Cause that's what my colleague makes it out to be.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Afriscipio posted:

But is it a campaign-killing issue, like on a scale of Watergate? 'Cause that's what my colleague makes it out to be.

There may have been Top Secret material passing through her server, which for anyone below "top brass" gets you into Leavenworth.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Afriscipio posted:

Condi Rice and Colin Powell also did it, it was never brought up as a reason why they shouldn't run for president.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Afriscipio posted:

The Republicans want it to be, but no. If it was going to kill Hillary's campaign it would have already, via the DNC. No one in the uppermost levels of government wants a top contender for the presidency under a grave, campaign-killing investigation.

The only people this "scandal" is convincing to not vote for Hillary are almost certain to not be voting for her anyway.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Stultus Maximus posted:

There may have been Top Secret material passing through her server, which for anyone below "top brass" gets you into Leavenworth.

It's this. There's also a chance she ordered classification markings removed on classified information, which is again a "go directly to jail" sort of offense.

It's also torpedoed her chance of ever getting votes for anyone who works with the Defense industry. They require people with clearances to take yearly tests on proper handling of classified materials, and one of the most basic factoids is that you never view classified information on Internet-connected computers, let alone email it, ever. There are special computers and even a literal duplicate Internet for that kind of thing.

If she was, in fact, handling classified information on a private email server that was connected to the Internet, that is a very big deal and is a straight ride into court.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Uhhh, 8 tracks were the standard for like twenty years and they're much better quality than cassettes.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
oh for gently caress sake

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Uhhh, weather vanes were the standard for like two hundred years and they're much better quality than windsocks.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Xenoveritas posted:

It's this. There's also a chance she ordered classification markings removed on classified information, which is again a "go directly to jail" sort of offense.

It's also torpedoed her chance of ever getting votes for anyone who works with the Defense industry. They require people with clearances to take yearly tests on proper handling of classified materials, and one of the most basic factoids is that you never view classified information on Internet-connected computers, let alone email it, ever. There are special computers and even a literal duplicate Internet for that kind of thing.

If she was, in fact, handling classified information on a private email server that was connected to the Internet, that is a very big deal and is a straight ride into court.

I'm sure that'll happen any day now

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Sir Tonk posted:

Uhhh, 8 tracks were the standard for like twenty years and they're much better quality than cassettes.

8 tracks can hold fewer songs and higher end cassette tapes (chrome/metal) on higher end players can achieve CD quality sound

seriously though it's not cassette's fault that everyone played all their tapes through blown speakers in their car or on walkmans and boomboxes limping on batteries

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The weirdest part is that it was actually a pretty good question he asked. (It was phrased a little differently in the transcript. :))

Ohman does the best eyes. :allears:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm sure that'll happen any day now

The investigation is expected to conclude and move to the Attorney General's office in May. But it is coming. Whether it targets Hillary or not is an open question.

Keep in mind the stuff she's suspected of doing would be just as illegal on a government email server as a private one. The government does not take screwing around with classified material lightly. Just ask Manning and Snowden.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

prefect posted:

The weirdest part is that it was actually a pretty good question he asked. (It was phrased a little differently in the transcript. :))

Ohman does the best eyes. :allears:

How'd he phrase it?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I love the running joke Bad Reporter has with Ben Carson's eyes

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Who What Now posted:

Huh. They announced that they were stopping nude shoots back in October, But I thought the news was a lot older than that.

I think the first nudeless issue just came out. They also apparently got rid of all their cartoons, so this is like a double-whammy for Horsey.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

xthetenth posted:

How'd he phrase it?

Justice Thomas’s questions came in a minor case on domestic violence convictions and gun rights. He made a series of inquiries about whether misdemeanor convictions can permanently suspend a constitutional right.

The questioning started as the morning’s first argument was winding down and Ilana H. Eisenstein, a lawyer for the federal government, uttered a common concluding phrase. “If there are no further questions,” she said.

But there were some, including almost a dozen from Justice Thomas.

“Ms. Eisenstein, one question,” he started, according to a transcript released by the court. “This is a misdemeanor violation. It suspends a constitutional right. Can you give me another area where a misdemeanor violation suspends a constitutional right?”

More here: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/01/us/politics/supreme-court-clarence-thomas.html

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Afriscipio posted:

Since I get all my American political info from the Poltoons thread, could someone give me a quick run-down on the whole Hillary email scandal? An American colleague of mine is convinced that it's the reason Hillary didn't become V.P. with Obama, and that it's the reason she'll lose to "We need global warming" "Somebody's doing the raping" Donald "I am the only person who immediately walked out of my 'Ali G' interview" Trump. Is it that toxic an issue? From a distance it seems to be a huge overreaction and a witch-hunt, but I don't know any of the details.

The most exciting e-mail in the whole caboodle is one about how John Boehner is a big alcoholic crybaby.

The e-mails thing is somewhere below "Benghazi!!!!" and just above crying pantsuit.

kaschei posted:

I heard he hasn't even denied being the Zodiac killer. What is he hiding?

The question, my friend, is what is he not hiding?

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 4, 2016

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Donald Trump

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I laughed, because I am apparently 12

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

They found OJ's knife? Am I going to see crying ghost of Judge Lance Ito in a kelly on monday?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Xenoveritas posted:

The investigation is expected to conclude and move to the Attorney General's office in May. But it is coming. Whether it targets Hillary or not is an open question.

Keep in mind the stuff she's suspected of doing would be just as illegal on a government email server as a private one. The government does not take screwing around with classified material lightly. Just ask Manning and Snowden.

Yup, any day now

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Krinkle posted:

They found OJ's knife? Am I going to see crying ghost of Judge Lance Ito in a kelly on monday?

It's too bad Bush is out of the race, cause OJ is prime add-on material for the "Bush vs Clinton, we must be stuck in a time loop" jokes we saw so many of a few months ago.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

In light of recent events, does anyone remember that big comic from a while back that was also about Trump's tiny penis?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mr. Fowl posted:

In light of recent events, does anyone remember that big comic from a while back that was also about Trump's tiny penis?

Here are the rest of the panels censored

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Xenoveritas posted:

Note that every 'classified' mail so far contains information that was either labeled classified later on, chronologically, or was, say, labeled classified by the state department but was known by the public - as in, if you email an article from the NY Times that contains a description of the White House layout, and State has decided the White House layout is classified information, you are emailing information that is classified.

I am unsure how illegal that is, given that you are not actually emailing anything marked classified.

Emailing anything that was marked classified and was government sourced, that removes the classified markings, is pretty illegal, though.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/state-department-releases-more-clinton-emails-several-marked-classified/

It appears that this was not actually done, and that the document in question wasn't actually classified, just created on a classified system. 'Turn into a nonpaper' would imply removing classified information, I would think.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

A scathing indictment of evolution. Truly religion is where all the new information is at.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

What is the criticism here? "Natural Selection is an old idea"? Time to do away with all of physics.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Afriscipio posted:

The fact you need it explained to you shows its not a campaign killer. Try to give the average American the specifics and their eyes glaze over.

Watergate is simple - they tampered with the election. Boom, done. Easy to understand. Clinton's scandal - he lied about getting a blowjob. People don't know why it's illegal, but they at least get it. Here? There's a reason why no political cartoonist can actually illustrate it and needs to just keep saying 'emails'.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

pretty good cartoon, all the science has been settled for years im glad he's coming around :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It's almost like he's deliberately ignoring the part where this poo poo doesn't happen overnight.

• Locked thread