Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Amoeba102 posted:

The ALP ha been trialing plain packaging for politicians for a while.

:boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

ewe2 posted:

I'm cool with it cos I gave up smoking but Sinclair Davison (paid consultant for Big Tobacco) has a GRAPH:

I'm not a statistician so I don't know what his regression analysis is about but even I can see that that graph means jack poo poo.

It's really too early to know if plain packaging has had a real impact. It won't really be possible until the people who were 12-16 or so when plain packaging came in are in their 20s and you can compare their smoking rates to the current ones.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I think NSW is worse than QLD politically because we got rid of Campbell Newman pretty quickly and actually paid attention to all the poo poo he was doing. NSW seems to be under some hypersleep and Baird is ticking off every single Conservative wet dream one by one while still being extremely popular. On top of this, the worse QLD has to worry about is one or two Katters whereas NSW has to deal with Shooters and CDP

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Jumpingmanjim posted:

How do you feel about plain packaging?

Ha ha, what's the point if the racks still have the logo (that would be on the box) anyway?

For R Rated games I don't mind it, especially if the back cover has some salacious screenshots on it you don't want a kiddy seeing. As long as you get the proper box when you buy it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I'm fairly sure one of those games is Watch Dogs and I approve of anything to have less people waste their money on that corporate disasterpiece

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

In news that will surprise noone, pensioners are ripping off millenials all round the world

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/07/revealed-30-year-economic-betrayal-dragging-down-generation-y-income

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lid posted:

I'm fairly sure one of those games is Watch Dogs and I approve of anything to have less people waste their money on that corporate disasterpiece

Glad I got it free with my video card, I couldn't even bring myself to finish the bland story.
It was the Bill Shorten of games.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

ewe2 posted:

I'm cool with it cos I gave up smoking but Sinclair Davison (paid consultant for Big Tobacco) has a GRAPH:

I'm not a statistician so I don't know what his regression analysis is about but even I can see that that graph means jack poo poo.

Oh and Quadrant is gurgling over one of Roger Scruton's books, he's another paid tobacco shill but loves to write books about how all lefties are EEEEVILLL and also bad.

What the gently caress does that graph even mean?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Glad I got it free with my video card, I couldn't even bring myself to finish the bland story.
It was the Bill Shorten of games.

:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T4__svBnTw :nws:

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I need to remember to check tags before clicking unlabelled youtubes.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
holy gently caress

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

4edgy8me

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I have the Wii U version I am going to play it and finish it.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Lol if you go to shops to buy things that aren't clothes.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Endman posted:

What the gently caress does that graph even mean?

I think he's trying to argue that bringing in plain packaging made no difference to focus groups asked the question "do you like the packaging" comparing plain packaging and their branding because apparently that's all that matters now, because somehow we can avoid talking about the carcinogenic product in said packaging. I'm wondering whether he's taking a section of the graph ala CC deniers to make it look better, but I cbf checking the data because I'm not a statistics guy.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

To be fair pack attractiveness is the kind of measure people in favour of plain packaging use as well. In the absence of any real data about smoking rates it's all that's left.

e.g. http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/24/Suppl_2/ii42.full

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

AFR screech piece by John Stone, my bolding (gently caress, he's 87, he must keep his phylactery well hidden):

Right wing looney John Stone whined posted:

The Turnbull government has repeated the policy laziness of Tony Abbott and Joe Hockey by mulling tax cuts without spending cuts.

John Howard once said of Kim Beazley that he "lacked the ticker" to succeed. Is the same true of Malcolm Turnbull?

Almost six months after deposing Abbott, who had led the Coalition back from the grave to which Turnbull had earlier consigned it, and then to a smashing victory in 2013, the new government appears becalmed. It is adrift in a sea of overblown rhetoric, unsupported by any achievements worth mentioning.

Before the successful conspiracy against him, Abbott had made four decisions. One, under no circumstances would the Coalition raise the GST. Two, it would not meddle with the basic taxation principle that investment income qualifies for deductibility of costs incurred (so-called "negative gearing"). Three, established superannuation arrangements would remain. And four, he would take income tax cuts to 2016's election.

Neither Abbott nor his lazy Treasurer Hockey mentioned that the fourth undertaking could be achieved only through significant spending cuts. On those, Hockey's 2015-16 budget was virtually silent.

In January 2015 I submitted a memo to a very senior minister, and to three officials who might bring some influence to bear on the fiscal mess confronting us. That memo set out "a possible fiscal path" – the key to which lay "in restoring confidence that this is a government that believes in enterprise". The question is, it said, "how [after many years of confidence-shattering behaviour by successive governments], can confidence be restored?"

GOVERNMENT'S FAINT-HEARTEDNESS

That "fiscal path" comprised four components. First, "all ministers should now be put on notice that there will be no room for new spending proposals, no matter how 'worthy'". Second, existing spending needed to be cut hard. "The problem is not the absence of targets for cutting, but the government's faint-heartedness in approaching that task". Third, any and all tax increases should be firmly ruled out. Finally, as one carrot among these sticks, the government should legislate for a 5 (or preferably 10) percentage point cut in corporate taxation, introduced in five equal yearly stages beginning in 2015-16.

All the fear-mongering – to which Hockey had notably contributed – about alleged risks to the economy of expenditure-cutting "austerity" should be challenged. In truth, "measures of 'austerity' are greatly needed. The more it can be shown that the government is reducing its spending, the more the business community will be encouraged to expand its own."

There would be no point, in the expenditure-cutting task, in proposing measures likely to be impaled on the pikes of a recalcitrant Senate. Thus, if "measures involving legislation are to be announced, they will need to be compelling – and the ground for them much more comprehensively prepared".

It followed that the expenditure review committee needed to work "principally in the annual appropriations area. Even this Senate is not going to fail to pass the appropriation bills". And "where cuts are to be made, there will be as much 'uproar' over a 5 per cent cut as a 50 per cent one", so "the conclusion is obvious".

In thus going through the appropriations line by line, ministers should also keep in mind that "even where legislation would be required to abolish some activity, it should always be possible to cut considerably the [annual appropriation] for that activity". You can't abolish the Human Rights Commission, but you can cut its vote by, say, $10 million.

ADVICE HAD LITTLE EFFECT

Clearly, that advice had little effect. So when, in September 2015, Turnbull spoke eloquently about our needing "a new economic narrative", were there grounds for hoping for a government that would now mend its ways?

Well, no, apparently. After five months of dithering, Turnbull has emulated Abbott's first decision. He will arrive soon at Abbott's second decision. He and Treasurer Scott Morrison are still havering over Abbott's third decision. Both agree with his fourth decision. But as for the spending cuts without which that can't happen responsibly, they are silent.

On usurping the prime ministership Turnbull was endowed, justifiably or not, with plenty of political capital. Rather than expend that capital by taking an axe to what was now his government's wasteful spending he has chosen instead, in John Howard's recent words, to "dissipate it by sitting around and doing nothing".

Let's see, come July, what the electorate thinks of that.

John Stone is a former secretary to the Treasury (1979-1984).

Stone got in as a Nationals Senator in 1987 after annoying everyone as a Treasury Secretary whereupon he gave forth what he thought of asians etc. Tried to move to the Reps after only 3 years and failed miserably hahaha. Fucker sends a memo to a govt and wonders why they screwed it up in a ball.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 8, 2016

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

ewe2 posted:

AFR screech piece by John Stone, my bolding (gently caress, he's 87, he must keep his phylactery well hidden):

The continued existence of the AFR baffles me. You can get better journalism and technical anaylsis from other sources, and don't have to put up with all the shilling for rent-seekers

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

evilbastard posted:

- We need an air defense platform for defending the mighty homeland. Our existing 70 x F/A-18 A/B's and 24 x F/A-18F's will do this job, even though there is no chance of Indonesia some random enemy combatant deciding to re-enact the attacks on Darwin

The classic hornets have about 2-6 years of flying left on the airframe depending on the specific aircraft. They need replacing sooner rather than later.

We could save a poo poo ton of money by buying less 35s and throwing more money to Boeing for super hornets instead or by going for something from Europe that we could build here.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mr Chips posted:

The continued existence of the AFR baffles me. You can get better journalism and technical anaylsis from other sources, and don't have to put up with all the shilling for rent-seekers

It's got good writers (eg Chenowith and Tingle), but for-profit-print-journalism is going to die, yeah.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The worst is Robert Gottliebesen in the Australian: "now here's what my good mate Harry Triguboff told me about the apartment market".

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Mr Chips posted:

Never underestimate the draw of the rusted on. It's far stronger a pull than critically thinking about the world around you.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Australia's airstrike capability exists mainly so that when America bombs some brown people they can say it's OK because other white people are doing it too.

Like that's an oversimplification obviously but RAAF pilots are already flying American drones in Syria. Just a matter of time using Reapers against refugee boats becomes a cool and good policy in the eyes of Australians.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Negligent posted:

Australia's airstrike capability exists mainly so that when America bombs some brown people they can say it's OK because other white people are doing it too.

Like that's an oversimplification obviously but RAAF pilots are already flying American drones in Syria. Just a matter of time using Reapers against refugee boats becomes a cool and good policy in the eyes of Australians.

Like the only reason Billy Hughes was allowed into the league of nations is because he'd say all the racist poo poo USA wouldn't. Surely we've earned a couple of free fighter jets from being the Donald Trump of international relations over the years

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I saw a father and son in Target and the kid who looked about 5, in earshot of me at the counter and therefore the cashier serving me, says "thats the game I want daddy, GTA 5"

and he brings it up to the counter and the cashier says 'this game is R18, I cant sell it to you if its for your son'. the Dad says "oh. well. its for me?' and the cashier just rolls her eyes and says 'ok'

So yeah not sure why we spend any money on this poo poo when parents dont seem to care (until they see their child playing a game with boobs in it then holy smokes someone should ban these games from children!!1)

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
It's cool that auspol is turning into Jane's Defence.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The whole classification system is just legislating morality and is incredibly open to abuse. It should be abolished and replaced with a voluntary, industry led and funded, system that media producers can buy into if they think it will help with marketing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

open24hours posted:

The whole classification system is just legislating morality and is incredibly open to abuse. It should be abolished and replaced with a voluntary, industry led and funded, system that media producers can buy into if they think it will help with marketing.

Yeah. No one seems to give a poo poo about it besides christian lobby groups who would rather the content just be banned anyway, or parents well after they've purchased COD/GTA/<violent/sexual game of the week here>.

as an adult I dont give a poo poo what a game is rated and really any game that relies on violence or sex to sell usually is garbage anyway (ie. Hatred, thrill kill)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

open24hours posted:

Isn't that what America has? And isn't their setup just as insane and arbitrary because it just comes down to the judgement of six old guys and nobody will carry a thing they haven't rated?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Cleretic posted:

Isn't that what America has? And isn't their setup just as insane and arbitrary because it just comes down to the judgement of six old guys and nobody will carry a thing they haven't rated?

It's all voluntary and self-organised so I don't know what you can do about that. Theatres don't have to show movies if they don't want to. Maybe you could appeal against it due to anti-competitive behaviour or something?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

open24hours posted:

I can't tell if you're serious or not. Auspol is buried under so many levels of irony and disingenuous rhetoric that I'm completely unable to interpret anything at face value.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Graic Gabtar posted:

It's cool that auspol is turning into Jane's Defence.
You have to know your enemy. That's how I know (a very little) about economics. It also adds to the punchline when the ADF do something hilarious (like the joint strike fighter).

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Endman posted:

I can't tell if you're serious or not. Auspol is buried under so many levels of irony and disingenuous rhetoric that I'm completely unable to interpret anything at face value.

I cant either and that scares me.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Endman posted:

Do you support book banning?

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
I guess its been long enough since an IWC rereg that everyone forgot the signs.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

open24hours posted:

Do you support book banning?

It depends. Which books?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Box Hill Strangler posted:

I guess its been long enough since an IWC rereg that everyone forgot the signs.

not subtle enough to be iwc imo

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Cleretic posted:

It depends. Which books?

Any book. Should it be possible for a government to ban a book assuming it doesn't depict an actual crime like a snuff book or whatever?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

open24hours posted:

Any book. Should it be possible for a government to ban a book assuming it doesn't depict an actual crime like a snuff book or whatever?

Are you talking about banning OJ's book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I can think of a book the government would like banned.

• Locked thread