Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pretty sure he used an illusion to make it look like he set fire to a chicken. Harry's reaction there and subsequent mistrust of him was necessary for THE PLOT so Dumbledore engineered it, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
My god! Did a Hogwarts professor just suggest a safe and logical approach to learning magic? That can't be right. Surely, instead of a marshmallow, McGonnagall meant a deadly viper, to properly motivate Harry to sustain the spell long-term.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The arbitrary, needlesly elaborate, overtly detailed loving chapters and chapters devoted to transfiguration may not be the worst parts of the book, per-se, but they are surely the most boring.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

It's a complicated subject. D&D and its derivatives have the same problem with shape-changing spells and what they do or don't allow one to do. Pathfinder broke its polymorph spell down into a bunch of separate spells with clearly defined boundaries to help curtail abuse and confusion, for example. That doesn't mean it makes for exciting reading though. I'm sure a good author could have fun with the subject, but Yud.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 18: Dominance Hierarchies
Part One

quote:

Any sufficiently advanced J. K. Rowling is indistinguishable from magic.

"That does sound like the sort of thing I would do, doesn't it?"

It was breakfast time on Friday morning. Harry took another huge bite out of his toast and then tried to remind his brain that scarfing his breakfast wouldn't actually get him into the dungeons any faster. Anyway they had a full hour of study time between breakfast and the start of Potions.

But dungeons! In Hogwarts! Harry's imagination was already sketching the chasms, narrow bridges, torchlit sconces, and patches of glowing moss. Would there be rats? Would there be dragons?

Isn’t Eliezarry supposed to be an avid reader of fantasy stories? Shouldn’t he know that dragons turn up in mountains and caves but never in dungeons? Dungeons and Dragons, yes. Dragons in Dungeons, no.

quote:

"Harry Potter," said a quiet voice from behind him.

Harry looked over his shoulder and found himself beholding Ernie Macmillan, smartly dressed in yellow-trimmed robes and looking a little worried.

"Neville thought I should warn you," Ernie said in a low voice. "I think he's right. Be careful of the Potions Master in our session today. The older Hufflepuffs told us that Professor Snape can be really nasty to people he doesn't like, and he doesn't like most people who aren't Slytherins. If you say anything smart to him it... it could be really bad for you, from what I've heard. Just keep your head down and don't give him any reason to notice you."

There was a pause as Harry processed this, and then he lifted his eyebrows. (Harry wished he could raise just one eyebrow, like Spock, but he'd never been able to manage.) "Thanks," Harry said. "You might've just saved me a lot of trouble."

“Raise just one eyebrow” reminded me of The Rock, which in turn reminded me of the far superior Harry Potter and the Most Electrifying Man.

quote:

Ernie nodded, and turned to go back to the Hufflepuff table.

Harry resumed eating his toast.

It was around four bites afterward that someone said "Pardon me," and Harry turned around to see an older Ravenclaw, looking a little worried -

Some time later, Harry was finishing up his third plate of rashers. (He'd learned to eat heavily at breakfast. He could always eat lightly at lunch if he didn't end up using the Time-Turner.)

I wonder if you could use Time-Turners as a way to indulge in gluttonous or other sybaritic excess without gaining weight e.g. eat as much as you want at a certain time, then go back in time to the same time and not eat, and continue your voyage in space-time from that point. Eliezarry could make a fortune from this if he were, you know, minded to conduct scientific experiments on this usage of a magic tool.

quote:

And there was yet another voice from behind him saying "Harry?"

"Yes," Harry said wearily, "I'll try not to draw Professor Snape's attention -"

"Oh, that's hopeless," said Fred.

"Completely hopeless," said George.

"So we had the house elves bake you a cake," said Fred.

"We're going to put one candle on it for every point you lose for Ravenclaw," said George.

"And have a party for you at the Gryffindor table during lunch," said Fred.

"We hope that'll cheer you up afterward," finished George.

Harry swallowed his last bite of rasher and turned around. "All right," said Harry. "I wasn't going to ask this after Professor Binns, I really wasn't, but if Professor Snape is that awful why hasn't he been fired?"

"Fired?" said Fred.

"You mean, let go?" said George.

"Yes," Harry said. "It's what you do to bad teachers. You fire them. Then you hire a better teacher instead. You don't have unions or tenure here, right?"

Dumbledore sits at the head of the hierarchy at Hogwarts and has been there for decades, and Eliezarry has had recent personal experience of how bad a person Dumbledore is. Why then does Eliezarry still think that “bad teachers” will be fired or even recognised as “bad” teachers in the first place? Shouldn’t he be too smart and/or too cynical to hold such idealistic notions?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

My god! Did a Hogwarts professor just suggest a safe and logical approach to learning magic? That can't be right. Surely, instead of a marshmallow, McGonnagall meant a deadly viper, to properly motivate Harry to sustain the spell long-term.

Big Yud is consistent on "McGonagall accepts no carelessness whatsoever when it comes to transfigutation." Which is pretty consistent with the actual books too I'm pretty sure? There's enough wrong with HPMOR that we don't need to make up things to make fun of.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I still enjoy the bit where Harry encounters Snape for the first time. It's all downhill from there.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

JosephWongKS posted:

I wonder if you could use Time-Turners as a way to indulge in gluttonous or other sybaritic excess without gaining weight e.g. eat as much as you want at a certain time, then go back in time to the same time and not eat, and continue your voyage in space-time from that point. Eliezarry could make a fortune from this if he were, you know, minded to conduct scientific experiments on this usage of a magic tool.

Time-Turners duplicate you for the hours you travel back in time, so you would still have eaten all of the food and your body would still be processing it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Victorkm posted:

Time-Turners duplicate you for the hours you travel back in time, so you would still have eaten all of the food and your body would still be processing it.

I think the deal is more that he would have a much longer perceived time between breakfast and lunch.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

I still enjoy the bit where Harry encounters Snape for the first time. It's all downhill from there.

Brace yourselves, everyone. We're about to go full John Galt.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

inflatablefish posted:

Brace yourselves, everyone. We're about to go full John Galt.

Well we've already almost had the monologues. And there was the rapey poo poo earlier.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I look forward to hearing an eleven year old explain how unions and tenure are awful.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I've heard 40 YO dudes getting paid barely more than minimum wage working three jobs to keep their kids fed tell me about the evils of unions and welfare programs. Hearing anti-union stuff from a kid might be refreshing because I can at least pretend their ignorance comes from lack of experience.

poo poo, when I got hired at Walmart, the first thing they made me do was watch a video about the evils of unions, after which they made it clear that even talking about unions in any capacity while employed by Walmart was grounds for immediate termination. In an at-will employment state, this was not an idle threat.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pvt.Scott posted:

I've heard 40 YO dudes getting paid barely more than minimum wage working three jobs to keep their kids fed tell me about the evils of unions and welfare programs. Hearing anti-union stuff from a kid might be refreshing because I can at least pretend their ignorance comes from lack of experience.

poo poo, when I got hired at Walmart, the first thing they made me do was watch a video about the evils of unions, after which they made it clear that even talking about unions in any capacity while employed by Walmart was grounds for immediate termination. In an at-will employment state, this was not an idle threat.

Did they actually hire Pinkertons to come in and smash up your workspace a little if you talk about such things? As a warning? Because that's some gilded age poo poo.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Did they actually hire Pinkertons to come in and smash up your workspace a little if you talk about such things? As a warning? Because that's some gilded age poo poo.

No, they'd just use it as a pretense to fire you if they didn't like you. I was working for them in Missouri, an at-will employment state.

Missouri doesn't have any labor laws except a few involving minors in the entertainment industry, however they define that, and time and a half for anything past 40 hours. The rest of the labor protections only exist because they are federally mandated. Breaks, vacation, sick days, maximum allowable hours a week and a lot more stuff are entirely optional and between you and the employer as far as the state is concerned. Employers still provide those things currently because workers still expect them, but the longer things stay as economically lovely they are, the more likely those "perks" go out the window. Welcome to Middle American capitalism!

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
From last chapter:

"...accelerated at top speed..."

Excuse me lord physicist and master rationalist Yudkowsky, how can I continue to accelerate if I'm already at top speed? Did you mean achieving maximum acceleration?

Am I missing something here or is he really that bad at what he claims is among his masteries?

Also, writing. Because why not just say "running as fast as he could" is beyond me

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

He was accelerating as fast as possible to his maximum speed, so almost but not quite the speed of light, to reach a sprint or whatever. The fact that the acceleration period is negligible by human standards isn't the point. Also the fact that this is a paradox is explained by wizards.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Two

quote:

Fred and George were frowning in much the same way that hunter-gatherer tribal elders might frown if you tried to tell them about calculus.

Or in much the same way, presumably, that an AI researcher a fanfiction writer might frown if you tried to tell him about wilderness survival techniques and the hunting and dressing of wild game. Stuck-up classist / racist / imperialist prig.

quote:

"I don't know," said Fred after a while. "I never thought about that."

"Me neither," said George.

"Yeah," said Harry, "I get that a lot. See you at lunch, guys, and don't blame me if there aren't any candles on that cake."

Fred and George both laughed, as if Harry had said something funny, and bowed to him and headed back toward Gryffindor.

Harry turned back to the breakfast table and grabbed a cupcake. His stomach already felt full, but he had a feeling this morning might use a lot of calories.

As he ate his cupcake, Harry thought of the worst teacher he'd met so far, Professor Binns of History. Professor Binns was a ghost. From what Hermione had said about ghosts, it didn't seem likely that they were fully self-aware. There were no famous discoveries made by ghosts, or much of any original work, no matter who they'd been in life. Ghosts tended to have trouble remembering the current century. Hermione had said they were like accidental portraits, impressed into the surrounding matter by a burst of psychic energy accompanying a wizard's sudden death.

Harry had run into some stupid teachers during his abortive forays into standard Muggle education - his father had been a lot pickier when it came to selecting grad students as tutors, of course - but History class was the first time he'd encountered a teacher who literally wasn't sentient.

And it showed, too. Harry had given up after five minutes and started reading a textbook. When it became clear that "Professor Binns" wasn't going to object, Harry had also reached into his pouch and gotten earplugs.

Did ghosts not require a salary? Was that it? Or was it literally impossible to fire anyone in Hogwarts even if they died?

Why doesn’t Eliezarry simply attribute it to Dumbledore being a negligent and/or downright malicious headmaster? Eliezarry’s just had a horrifying encounter with Dumbledore a few days ago, after all.

quote:

Now it seemed that Professor Snape was going about being absolutely awful to everyone who wasn't a Slytherin and it hadn't even occurred to anyone to terminate his contract.

Again, Dumbledore is the clearest and simplest answer for all things wrong in the school, and Eliezarry should be well aware of it.

quote:

And the Headmaster had set fire to a chicken.

"Excuse me," came a worried voice from behind him.

"I swear," Harry said without turning around, "this place is almost eight and a half percent as bad as what Dad says about Oxford."

Yup, that soul-scarring experience is still fresh in his mind. So why doesn’t Eliezarry attribute the blame for all the other grievances to Dumbledore, the head of the school?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Ancient man did some pretty complicated math poo poo in his brain without the aid of writing, so I think Yud is making the false assumption that many historians do that people in the past were less intelligent or interested in knowledge than we are now. I would think the elders would have more leisure time and might welcome some mathematics.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Pvt.Scott posted:

Ancient man did some pretty complicated math poo poo in his brain without the aid of writing, so I think Yud is making the false assumption that many historians do that people in the past were less intelligent or interested in knowledge than we are now. I would think the elders would have more leisure time and might welcome some mathematics.

I'd be disappointed in Yud for falling into that trap, except he also applies it to future people looking back at our foolish Eld science so ???????

But in any case, imagine trying to explain to really intelligent people calculus and realise that you'd have to start from scratch, with presumably no aides (i.e. you've gone back to them, not brought them forward to you). I doubt many people would actually be able to explain from first principles how to do calculus, without the structure offered by modern day math.

It's more likely the frown would be on the other foot.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Plus, guys like Yud look at the explanations for the world that older peoples came up with and go 'Oh how stupid' instead of being able to put themselves in those peoples' shoes. Coming up with an explanation for phenomena or learning your way around a complex or dangerous lifestyle at all is still a sign of reasoning and intelligence, even if it turns out that people with 2000 years of hindsight and generations upon generations of people building on doing what you're doing can say you were incorrect. The ancients were just as smart as we were. And just as dumb. Because they were human.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Come on now, I doubt it's possible for anyone to have been as dumb as Big Yud.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
There is some sort of board of governors (and while Eliezarry probably doesn't know the exact structure its also generally not going to be a default assumption that a school is a sovereign entity unaccountable to literally anyone) so in theory even if dumbledore was in the way a significant enough public outcry would have them doing SOMETHING (the exact powers beyond removing the headmaster are unknown) though in practice with Lucius Malfoy on the board that's sure has hell not going to happen over Snape.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Cavelcade posted:

But in any case, imagine trying to explain to really intelligent people calculus and realise that you'd have to start from scratch, with presumably no aides (i.e. you've gone back to them, not brought them forward to you). I doubt many people would actually be able to explain from first principles how to do calculus, without the structure offered by modern day math.
I think you could get further than you might think with certain people. Ancient Egyptian engineers, Hellenic mathematicians, medieval monks, whatever. Calculus would probably seem like kind of a confusing novelty to hunter-gatherers since they wouldn't have much use for it, but those other people would be very interested in whatever you could tell them about the subject and would probably be able to puzzle out whatever gaps you have in your education once they get the gist. A Roman planner who builds aqueducts for a living would definitely be interested in whatever you can tell him about the differentiation of slopes and curves, and while he wouldn't have the pure mathematics set out to prove everything you're saying he could probably grasp the formulas and understand their application.

Likewise I'm pretty sure you could explain a smartphone to Archimedes or Da Vinci. Those guys were probably smart enough to grasp the concept of binary and electricity and miniaturization and programming. You could give at least a third grade explanation that would satisfy the fundamental question "How does it work?" People are capable of understanding something conceptually that they do not fully comprehend intellectually, and people of any age who do math or engineering for a living are probably accustomed to thinking from concepts and ideas to concrete implementations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nakar posted:

A Roman planner who builds aqueducts for a living would definitely be interested in whatever you can tell him about the differentiation of slopes and curves, and while he wouldn't have the pure mathematics set out to prove everything you're saying he could probably grasp the formulas and understand their application.

"A way to finally calculate how many people are stealing water from the aquaducts? gently caress yeah."

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Nakar posted:

I think you could get further than you might think with certain people. Ancient Egyptian engineers, Hellenic mathematicians, medieval monks, whatever. Calculus would probably seem like kind of a confusing novelty to hunter-gatherers since they wouldn't have much use for it, but those other people would be very interested in whatever you could tell them about the subject and would probably be able to puzzle out whatever gaps you have in your education once they get the gist. A Roman planner who builds aqueducts for a living would definitely be interested in whatever you can tell him about the differentiation of slopes and curves, and while he wouldn't have the pure mathematics set out to prove everything you're saying he could probably grasp the formulas and understand their application.

Likewise I'm pretty sure you could explain a smartphone to Archimedes or Da Vinci. Those guys were probably smart enough to grasp the concept of binary and electricity and miniaturization and programming. You could give at least a third grade explanation that would satisfy the fundamental question "How does it work?" People are capable of understanding something conceptually that they do not fully comprehend intellectually, and people of any age who do math or engineering for a living are probably accustomed to thinking from concepts and ideas to concrete implementations.

He specified cavemen which is why I went with that. Note that I don't think it's beyond the cavement to understand it - I just doubt most people could explain it in a meaningful way if they lack all the things we take for granted right now. With people who have a mathematical background, from a little later on in history, you might have a bit more success. It depends on you being willing to integrate into their system of thinking somewhat, and learning their language and such.

Come to think of it, maybe they're frowning because this idiot in front of them keeps using words that they know, but the idiot clearly doesn't actually understand. It'd probably look a lot like what happens when Big Yug talks to people who know the subject matter he's discussing.

The whole thing reminds me a bit of this MItchell and Webb sketch.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Three

quote:

Harry stamped down the stone corridors, looking affronted, annoyed, and infuriated all at once.

"Dungeons!" Harry hissed. "Dungeons! These are not dungeons! This is a basement! A basement! "

Some of the Ravenclaw girls gave him odd looks. The boys were all used to him by now.

It seemed that the level in which the Potions classroom was located was called the "dungeons" for no better reason than that it was below ground and slightly colder than the main castle.

In Hogwarts! In Hogwarts! Harry had been waiting his whole life and now he was still waiting and if there was anywhere on the face of the Earth that had decent dungeons it ought to be Hogwarts! Was Harry going to have to build his own castle if he wanted to see one little bottomless abyss?

Maybe there are deeper dungeon levels that contain more overtly magical features which just aren’t available to him yet because he’s just a first-year student, has he considered that, that entitled little brat?

quote:

A short time later they got to the actual Potions classroom and Harry cheered up considerably.

The Potions classroom had strange preserved creatures floating in huge jars on shelves that covered every centimeter of wall space between the closets. Harry had gotten far enough along in his reading now that he could actually identify some of the creatures, like the Zabriskan Fontema. Albeit the fifty-centimeter spider looked like an Acromantula but it was too small to be one. He'd tried asking Hermione, but she hadn't seemed very interested in looking anywhere near where he was pointing.

“Zabriskan Fontema” is a reference to a creature of the same name in E. E. Smith’s “Lensman” series, if I recall correctly.

quote:

Harry was looking at a large dust ball with eyes and feet when the assassin swept into the room.

That was the first thought that crossed Harry's mind when he saw Professor Severus Snape. There was something quiet and deadly about the way the man stalked between the children's desks. His robes were unkempt, his hair spotted and greasy. There was something about him that seemed reminiscent of Lucius, although the two of them looked nothing remotely alike, and you got the impression that where Lucius would kill you with flawless elegance, this man would simply kill you.

As a former Death Eater, Snape was kind of like an assassin for Voldemort, so the epithet is accurate.

quote:

"Sit down," said Professor Severus Snape. "Now."

Harry and a few other children who had been standing around talking to each other scrambled for desks. Harry had planned on ending up next to Hermione but somehow he found himself sitting down in the nearest empty desk next to Justin Finch-Fletchley (it was a Doubles session, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff) which put him two desks to the left of Hermione.

Severus seated himself behind the teacher's desk, and without the slightest transition or introduction, said, "Hannah Abbott."

"Here," said Hannah in a somewhat trembling voice.

"Susan Bones."

"Present."

And so it went, no one daring to say a word in edgewise, until:

"Ah, yes. Harry Potter. Our new... celebrity."

"The celebrity is present, sir."

Wasn’t Eliezarry warned (multiple times) at the beginning of this chapter that Snape is a nasty fellow and to “keep [his] head down and don’t give [Snape] any reason to notice [him]”? Didn’t Eliezarry promise to “try not to draw Professor Snape’s attention”? How did Eliezarry forget all of this so quickly?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Because if he doesn't speak up, he can't take the piss out of the whole concept of Snape

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012
Okay, so there are a lot of things that should be said about Snape. For example, being one of the "good guys" in the end doesn't excuse everything he did to his students. Snape literally became the thing Neville was most afraid of. He tormented a child until he became more terrifying to that child than the whole host of magical things that could kill him such as dementors and werewolves and death eaters. Not exactly ground breaking, but it's an important thing to say given the Albus Severus nonsense in the epilogue.

I just don't think that this is the arena to say that in. Like, remember how the premise of this story was trying to apply science to magic? Potions would be a really great place to do that. But then I remembered that this is HPMOR, and Yud forgot his own premise long ago in favor of whatever the hell this is. I expect that whatever point he's trying to make will be handled with the usual grace that anything is handled in this story.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Eldataluta posted:

Okay, so there are a lot of things that should be said about Snape. For example, being one of the "good guys" in the end doesn't excuse everything he did to his students. Snape literally became the thing Neville was most afraid of. He tormented a child until he became more terrifying to that child than the whole host of magical things that could kill him such as dementors and werewolves and death eaters. Not exactly ground breaking, but it's an important thing to say given the Albus Severus nonsense in the epilogue.

I just don't think that this is the arena to say that in. Like, remember how the premise of this story was trying to apply science to magic? Potions would be a really great place to do that. But then I remembered that this is HPMOR, and Yud forgot his own premise long ago in favor of whatever the hell this is. I expect that whatever point he's trying to make will be handled with the usual grace that anything is handled in this story.

The premise hasn't been forgotten, it just was never to apply science to magic. It's to apply Yud's Bayesian cargo cult philosophy. "Rationalism" is supposed to suggest scientific validity, but (as we've repeatedly explored in this thread) it's science-flavored nonsense. Secondarily, it's rather obviously a fantasy of Yud's to be able to be this much of an insufferable jerk as a child and get away with it through the mystical power of ~rationality~ that those pesky adults must bow to.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

JosephWongKS posted:

As a former Death Eater, Snape was kind of like an assassin for Voldemort, so the epithet is accurate.

Except that he really wasn't. At all.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Eldataluta posted:

Snape literally became the thing Neville was most afraid of. He tormented a child until he became more terrifying to that child than the whole host of magical things that could kill him such as... death eaters.

As a 13 year old, he was more frightened of Snape than he was of the people who tortured his parents into insanity.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

JosephWongKS posted:

“Zabriskan Fontema” is a reference to a creature of the same name in E. E. Smith’s “Lensman” series, if I recall correctly.
Can confirm, it was basically a sunlight powered wheely thing with pretty much literally no brain whatever. (Telepathic contact with spiders and worms revealed some degree of motivation and mentality in other parts of the series.) It kept moving in a single direction forever on its flat, featureless planetary plain, sort of like a Less Wrong poster.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
You know, you really should read The Sequences Arbital.

My very favourite piece so far is The Rocket Alignment Problem.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

wow this is pretentious garbage.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

cptn_dr posted:

As a 13 year old, he was more frightened of Snape than he was of the people who tortured his parents into insanity.

turned out they were the same people ha ha ha

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

divabot posted:

I got about three sentences in before my eyes kind of glazed over and I began imagining dudes standing on top of rockets hitting themselves in the head with hammers.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

divabot posted:

I somehow made it through that Rocket Alignment Problem. I'm not sure what the point of that was. Was it that fictional rocket engineers are bad at calculating curved trajectories and that MIRI are a bunch of obtuse unhelpful cunts?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

I somehow made it through that Rocket Alignment Problem. I'm not sure what the point of that was. Was it that fictional rocket engineers are bad at calculating curved trajectories and that MIRI are a bunch of obtuse unhelpful cunts?

It's that all of their philosophical musing is actually useful science, because only by understanding Dianetics the Sequences can we understand the true nature of AI and how to create it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

divabot posted:

They're trying to replace Wikipedia with this, yeah? But this is doing something completely different to what wiki is. This is trying to convince people about something (and by something I mean the same thing they're always to convince people of). The entire point of wiki, and its usefulness, is as an information tool. Sure, you can't necessarily trust it blindly but it always has references you can check (and if it doesn't, you know to be extra wary). That's why it won't ever replace wiki. It doesn't even make sense to think of it that way.

Edit: Besides which, rocketry seems like a particularly bizarre choice. Does anyone know why this might actually be considered a good analogy? Is it his usual AI-go-FOOM nonsense? It is, isn't it?

Double edit: Wait, I'm all wrong. This is a site designed to compete with fanfiction.net! Now it all makes sense, he just wants a better place to host methods of rationality!

Cavelcade fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 19, 2016