Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

pokie posted:

Thanks for the recommendation - I will look at what's available here.

I don't have particular wants - I just want a bike that can do highway speeds fine and on which I can learn. I was aiming for the cruiser because I thought it would be a good idea to learn poo poo from my neighbor.

I am 6' or so, 175lb. I am a little concerned about sports bikes having such a sharp knee angle since my knees can hurt if stuck in that position for long periods, e.g. on airplanes.

E: Local craigslist shows stuff like this Ninja 250 for $2200. There is also a new Ninja 300 ABS version for $5k - is the ABS worth it?

How do you guys evaluate ABS anyway?

ABS is 100% worth it and good in every way and has no drawbacks whatsoever until you get to like level 40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

OK, so you guys think it's a good idea to drop 4.5k on say this new Ninja 300 ABS?

I wouldn't say price is not an issue, but it seems like a good way to avoid a nasty high side crash or something.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Ninjettes have no problem hitting and maintaining highway speeds (will go 90mph+ without trouble).

I've heard they don't even need 6th gear.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

pokie posted:

OK, so you guys think it's a good idea to drop 4.5k on say this new Ninja 300 ABS?

I wouldn't say price is not an issue, but it seems like a good way to avoid a nasty high side crash or something.

I'd suggest buying second hand if only to deaden that horrible sinking feeling when you drop your bike for the first time. If your budget stretches to include bikes that have ABS, then yes it is nice to have.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

An alternative to the Ninja 250/Ninja 300 is the Ninja 650L.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

darth cookie posted:

I'd suggest buying second hand if only to deaden that horrible sinking feeling when you drop your bike for the first time. If your budget stretches to include bikes that have ABS, then yes it is nice to have.

There aren't any used ones with ABS cheaper than the new one I linked. I am ok with dropping it. I had my new Challenger rear-ended somewhat badly on a highway a couple years back, so I got those emotions out of the way.

Shimrod posted:

An alternative to the Ninja 250/Ninja 300 is the Ninja 650L.

What factors should influence which one I should get?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

650 is far more roomy, more comfortable. Come with ABS, bit more oomph. Very comfortable bike, will handle highway all day long with no issues. I'd just test ride both if you can.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Sounds good. I will do that. There is a nearby dealership with 300 for $4.3k and 650 for $6.3k, which seems reasonable.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Don't forget to factor in the cost of protective clothing.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

KARMA! posted:

Don't forget to factor in the cost of protective clothing.

Not to worry, I have been riding for a little while, and just upgraded to an armored mesh jacket and the most over priced modular helmet i could find. I might get riding pants later.

Pretty sure i will get ninja 300. Looking at hp and 0-60 times 650 is way faster than my challenger, and this thing got me in trouble when i just got it. Better start a little slower and upgrade as needed.

Thanks for advice, everyone.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

^^^^^ Good choice. A modern 300cc bike will be a lot of fun with plenty of power, especially considering you're upgrading from a 125. The ABS is a super nice feature.

That's always an interesting question. What is the correct amount to factor in for protective clothing?

When I started riding, I bought a $150 helmet and $40 gloves. I wore an old leather jacket I already had (heavy, but not motorcycle-grade), 501 jeans, and old combat boots I'd had for years. Don't remember how much the jacket cost but I got the boots at an Army Surplus store for about $30. Total cost under $250.

I added up the cost of my current ATGATT (helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves) and it's about $1670 MSRP, though I got a bunch of it on sale. That's a little steep for a beginner, but I sure feel more comfortable with more armor.

I think my minimum recommendation would be: a full-face helmet, motorcycle-specific gloves, a motorcycle-specific jacket (textile is fine), and above-the-ankle footwear. Maybe $500 if you don't already have a pair of boots. Where would you draw the line?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 14, 2016

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I think the most important is to get a helmet that fits well and is comfortable because nothing takes the fun out of riding like an uncomfortable helmet.

Good boots are probably second most important because apart from the head they're going to take the brunt of the punishment in a crash, and good boots are the difference between a bruise and a broken ankle.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
I'd include kevlar jeans in that list. Not point getting all that gear and no pants to suit, especially when the knee area is so exposed on a bike.

Mesh jackets are fine, especially if you can only own one, since you can get multi-season ones. They'll protect you NEARLY as well in a crash (as well for impacts, less well for abrasion), so there's no issue there.

Honestly if you're in the mindset that you're going to protect yourself, may as well get everything. I think in a lot of cases you're getting more comfort/style for more money (i.e. expensive helmets made of lighter materials) rather than protection.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I started off with a poo poo sevenzeroseven helmet that I wish I never purchased, a dainese leather jacket, Alpinestars sp1 gauntlets, and Alpinestars SMX 5 or 6 boots. Pants came later. All of my gear is fantastic and still in regular rotation, except that stupid helmet. I totally agree, nothing kills a ride like an uncomfortable lid.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

If you're a chick it's $$$$$$$ because it's basically impossible to find good used gear, so you gotta buy everything brand new.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Barnsy posted:

I'd include kevlar jeans in that list. Not point getting all that gear and no pants to suit, especially when the knee area is so exposed on a bike.

Mesh jackets are fine, especially if you can only own one, since you can get multi-season ones. They'll protect you NEARLY as well in a crash (as well for impacts, less well for abrasion), so there's no issue there.

Honestly if you're in the mindset that you're going to protect yourself, may as well get everything. I think in a lot of cases you're getting more comfort/style for more money (i.e. expensive helmets made of lighter materials) rather than protection.

I've got some draggin' jeans and the bastards are comfortable as poo poo, if a little warm. Definitely don't have to change them when you get wherever you are going.

I also would stress wearing protective jeans, road rash is a hell of a thing - I've got a scar in two places on my body when I fell over onto asphalt while running and I can tell you it hurt real bad. I can't even imagine what would happen at 60k.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

M42 posted:

If you're a chick it's $$$$$$$ because it's basically impossible to find good used gear, so you gotta buy everything brand new.

Honestly, this is the best route to go anyway unless you're buying short-term "I'm just gonna trash this in a weekend" gear.
Otherwise you'll be tempted by cheap lovely used jackets that don't fit quite right. It's only a matter of time before you start justifying questionable 20 year old used helmet purchases.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I started with bang for the buck cheap gear and upgraded as I found features I wanted. I wouldn't blow a ton on cash on your first set of gear as you'll figure out what works for you.

How much ventilation?
Waterproof, and how is it waterproof, inner liner or bonded to outer shell?
Over or inside boot?
Looks? Dainese space lord, Leather daddy or around the world dentist?

I got some made to order tailored textile top bottom combo from a cheap store, -> zero ventilation, crap built in armor, hated pants inside the boots.

Cheapo summer mesh jacket + jeans with kevlar + shorty boots. -> still have this for summer gear but can only use it for like 2-3 weeks each summer.

Wanted a textile over the boot pants with some ventilation. First klim gear, klim dakar pants. love them for summer pants, but very cold with huge mesh areas. not waterproof.

Got me a matching colored RST enduro jacket, ok ventilation, not waterproof. Then lindstrands taal pants which was warm but not waterproof.

Got loving annoyed with the random rain showers last summer and general cold weather and got me a klim badlands set so I could have all the features I wanted in one set, waterproof, over the boot, with good ventilation when needed and durable.

+ uuh 2 normal riding boots, 5+ different pairs of gloves, summer adventure style helmet, many different types of wool underwear etc etc..

For me motorcycle gear is part of the hobby, I enjoy looking for new poo poo.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

pokie posted:

Sounds good. I will do that. There is a nearby dealership with 300 for $4.3k and 650 for $6.3k, which seems reasonable.
Assuming this is their listed price and that both are new models, you still need to account for crate fees, sales tax, documentation, title, and registration.

concise fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 18, 2016

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

abigserve posted:

I've got some draggin' jeans and the bastards are comfortable as poo poo, if a little warm. Definitely don't have to change them when you get wherever you are going.

I also would stress wearing protective jeans, road rash is a hell of a thing - I've got a scar in two places on my body when I fell over onto asphalt while running and I can tell you it hurt real bad. I can't even imagine what would happen at 60k.

Probably see some bone. It's hella rad until it gets infected!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Used or new, I've bought 2 items online and will never do that again. Nothing beats trying things on. Especially if it's a helmet. I now have a medium helmet that's too big and a size large, that's still uncomfortable to wear. But look at the savings :rolleyes:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Looked at a really nice 07 tuono factory yesterday for $4500. Only 10k miles and sounded amazing with an arrow exhaust. Only catch was a salvage/rebuilt title over what the seller claims was some tiny scratches. I really really want the bike, and it looked really nice expect for being dirty. Would I be totally insane to buy this?

Dude wouldn't budge at all in any way on the price. I showed up yesterday with 4100 and he wouldn't do it. So it's 4500 or nothing.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Scratches do not get a bike a salvage title. He's not telling you something.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Scratches + theft will write it off just fine.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
a scratch on the frame will. Looks like the frame is really exposed on that bike too.

Or any pieces which would have to be replaced to restore the bike to pre-crash condition that requires a fuckload of labor to get to. It's typical to total a vehicle at something around 50% of the market value of it. So if the insurance company appraised that bike at only 4-5k, it probably wouldn't take a lot of pieces at OEM cost plus 95/hr labor to total it out.

In most states, the law requires the insurance company to fully repair everything, to avoid screwing people over with halfassed hack jobs or latent defects which didnt show in a surface examination. I've tried haggling with them "oh I don't care about that, its just a scratch" and they wouldnt budge.

However, scratches don't get a bike a salvage title without a written appraisal and quote which identifies every piece which is scratched and how much it would cost so you could always ask to see that.

It does look like it would be difficult to slide one of those and scratch the frame without damaging the radiator as well at the very minimum. The left side looks "safer" than the right.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
It was just some fairing scratches, small dent/scuff in the tank and he said he replaced the brake lever. Frame was perfect and polished.
I can see how the fairings on a weird Italian bike would total it out but I'm still a little skeptical.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Voltage posted:

It was just some fairing scratches, small dent/scuff in the tank and he said he replaced the brake lever. Frame was perfect and polished.
I can see how the fairings on a weird Italian bike would total it out but I'm still a little skeptical.

That tank is probably around a grand alone if you buy a new one from aprilia.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Partial Octopus posted:

That gauge is rad as hell.

Yeah.

Slavvy posted:

ABS is 100% worth it and good in every way and has no drawbacks whatsoever until you get to like level 40.

Yeah.

Still waiting for ABS on the FZ's, though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd want to see the list of damages that totaled the bike.

For gear cost for new riders, my rule of thumb is buy used bikes and spend more on your gear than you do your bike. Usually the bikes are around 500-1000, and then gear is around the same price point. Haven't been able to convince anyone to lead off with the aerostitch yet but they learn after a few incidents.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I got the bike the thread recommended today and drove on it for a few hours, including my first (short) night ride and first experience lane splitting. It's night and day difference compared to the old 125 cc bike. Faster acceleration helps with stability so much.

Obligatory pic.

I will get proper pants and shoes soon.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

pokie posted:

I got the bike the thread recommended today and drove on it for a few hours, including my first (short) night ride and first experience lane splitting. It's night and day difference compared to the old 125 cc bike. Faster acceleration helps with stability so much.

Obligatory pic.

Have you taken it on the freeway yet? It has to feel great being able to break the legal limits finally.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
These threads through here have me considering so many bikes right now, but I have narrowed it down to a few.

Cheap option (but I would need to do suspension adjustments) : SV650N
Middle of the road : Yamaha FZ-09
Top : Triumph Speed/Street Triple (prefer to find it used locally)

I have quite some time to decide, it will be more towards September before I would buy and possibly wait until next year. However, I want to keep all of my options open and take this time in between to really decide as I've owned a lot in the past and my wife will kill me if I start buying/selling again.

I've heard the FZ-09 can suffer a bit from the suspension lacking some adjustments (dampening, rebound, etc), how serious of an issue are these?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

With check in hand and my gear in the bag I'm waiting for a bus to pick me up to go get my new bike.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

mAlfunkti0n posted:

These threads through here have me considering so many bikes right now, but I have narrowed it down to a few.

Cheap option (but I would need to do suspension adjustments) : SV650N
Middle of the road : Yamaha FZ-09
Top : Triumph Speed/Street Triple (prefer to find it used locally)

I have quite some time to decide, it will be more towards September before I would buy and possibly wait until next year. However, I want to keep all of my options open and take this time in between to really decide as I've owned a lot in the past and my wife will kill me if I start buying/selling again.

I've heard the FZ-09 can suffer a bit from the suspension lacking some adjustments (dampening, rebound, etc), how serious of an issue are these?

From what I've read and seen in video reviews the FZ-09 is a lot like the SV in that its a sweet engine stuck with budget basic suspension so they could meet a price point. It can be fixed, but it's not something you would want leave in its stock form.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Coredump posted:

From what I've read and seen in video reviews the FZ-09 is a lot like the SV in that its a sweet engine stuck with budget basic suspension so they could meet a price point. It can be fixed, but it's not something you would want leave in its stock form.

I think for the price the FZ-09 would be in Street/Speed Triple territory (used, of course) which don't seem to need any suspension fixing (except perhaps proper springs).

Is there anything with the Street/Speed triple to watch out for? Any engine problems, etc?

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Z3n posted:

For gear cost for new riders, my rule of thumb is buy used bikes and spend more on your gear than you do your bike. Usually the bikes are around 500-1000, and then gear is around the same price point. Haven't been able to convince anyone to lead off with the aerostitch yet but they learn after a few incidents.

I'm a dumb stupid newbie biker who intends to commute ~15 miles (about 30-40 minutes) into my office (business casual). Is the Aerostitch just the absolute best bet? It looks like they're the best option for slipping on over work clothes, but the price is high. I was considering going with a Joe Rocket suit or similar to see if I enjoyed the 'suit' aspect, but with a hearty endorsement I might be willing to go hog wild with an aerostitch.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Still waiting for ABS on the FZ's, though.

Well, the XSR.

Although, actually, now that I look at their website, the FZ-09 and -07 both come in that awesome gloss-grey-and-fluorescent-Rossi-yellow/green color scheme that the MT-01 comes in in Eurodisney-land. As much as like to choose bikes based on their real, tangible attributes, I have to say that I'd have a hard time resisting the FZ-09 in that color scheme over the XSR even though it has ABS and (some manner of) TC.

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 15, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Is there anything with the Street/Speed triple to watch out for?

Watch out for damage to your retinas

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

pokie posted:

Obligatory pic.

Nice helmet, tell me about your grandkids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Wait is that a Nolan or Schuberth? He's only a granddad if that's a Nolan or Schuberth.