Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

ImpAtom posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of it's a guy claiming to be that and is kind of generalized and not hard numbers.

Popping back in to clarify on this issue. Derringer is absolutely confirmed to be legit, has leaked/teased numerous model kits, and has been part of the staff of numerous GWBC showings in America. A friend of mine's even met him at one.

The quote was:

Note that "amazingly high" is relative to how well Gundam normally does in the US though, so that's still not saying that much.

There's no confirmation on how well HG IBO is doing in Japan, but it's also pretty obvious that the whole thing is doing much worse than what Bandai/Sunrise was expecting. Unlike BF and G-Reco, which pretty much just had kits and the DVD/BDs, there was a huge merchandising push for IBO. There were t-shirts, various knick knacks, entirely new model kit lines, the whole shebang. There was a big push to get Barbatos to be popular even prior to the show even airing, so it was popping up everywhere from NXEDGE to Gundam Extreme VS. It's really obvious IBO was intended to be the next "mainline" Gundam series, akin to 00 or AGE.

So if IBO really wants to be a success, it has to outright smash G-Reco or BF. But all signs are pointing to it doing as well at best. And considering how much more money was put into IBO, well that's not really a good thing.

Audience-reaction wise, all that really comes to mind is this one 2chan thread where people wondered if they should be worried about what IBO was showing to kids. The joke reaction was "well it's not like anyone's watching, anyways". Which is amusing, but not all that indicative.

With that said, it seems really, really obvious at this point they're going for a second season (why else put so much money into it?) so maybe they'll be able to turn things around. Who knows!

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Considering they're actually localizing this over the past 3 Gundam shows, maybe they're really banking on international success like how SEED focused on demographics that were outside the Gundam norm. I only assume this because of how aggressive they were on putting IBO on multiple streaming sites.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

boom boom boom posted:

that'll take awhile to come out, by the time American dvd sales come in, they'll have moved on to Double Unicorn or whatever.

You wanna support IBO, buy five Graze model kits right now

I did buy a Gusion recently. I guess it's time to get onboard the Barbatos train.:getin:

anglachel
May 28, 2012
All the news I am hearing makes me think a second season can (and probably has) be sold to the suits, but the suits meddling in the second season is almost guaranteed. :(

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Here's how I see IBO ending:

Mika manages to defeat Ein, but with one of the Teiwaz girls biting it in the process. As the team celebrates their hard-earned victory and Teiwaz mourns their loss, Atra begins to change: her eyes turn into black, button-like dots, and her gains a permanent smile on her face. She then approaches the room where Orga and the crew area celebrating and shoots Orga in the head, killing him instantly. She then state that Tekkaden is hers and that anyone that dissents will be blown up with bombs that have been strapped on the ship they are on. Mika tries to lunge at her blood-soaked and smiling face with a knife to stop her, but she kneecaps him, then orders Norba to toss Mika overboard. As Mika lays dying on the ground after being chucked off of Tekkaden's ship, he sees their ship floating away, his consciousness fading.

Later, Atra reaches McGillis' nearby secret base, where she hands Tekkaden, from the still-shocked crew (including Kudelia) to the Barbatos, to McGillis, who she approaches with a crudely-drawn running animation. "Well done, Commander Mixta" says, matching Atra's permanent smile with his own smile. "Kudelia will be a perfect pawn for my plan".

We cut to a scene where a Rouei reaches Mika. The Rouei approaches, and the last bit of animation we see is a Teiwaz pilot suit's hand reaching for Mika.

Coming in late 2016: IBO Season 2.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

closeted republican posted:

Here's how I see IBO ending:

Mika manages to defeat Ein, but with one of the Teiwaz girls biting it in the process. As the team celebrates their hard-earned victory and Teiwaz mourns their loss, Atra begins to change: her eyes turn into black, button-like dots, and her gains a permanent smile on her face. She then approaches the room where Orga and the crew area celebrating and shoots Orga in the head, killing him instantly. She then state that Tekkaden is hers and that anyone that dissents will be blown up with bombs that have been strapped on the ship they are on. Mika tries to lunge at her blood-soaked and smiling face with a knife to stop her, but she kneecaps him, then orders Norba to toss Mika overboard. As Mika lays dying on the ground after being chucked off of Tekkaden's ship, he sees their ship floating away, his consciousness fading.

Later, Atra reaches McGillis' nearby secret base, where she hands Tekkaden, from the still-shocked crew (including Kudelia) to the Barbatos, to McGillis, who she approaches with a crudely-drawn running animation. "Well done, Commander Mixta" says, matching Atra's permanent smile with his own smile. "Kudelia will be a perfect pawn for my plan".

We cut to a scene where a Rouei reaches Mika. The Rouei approaches, and the last bit of animation we see is a Teiwaz pilot suit's hand reaching for Mika.

Coming in late 2016: IBO Season 2.

... okay, what's this a reference to?

In other news, looks like Ein is borrowing from Akihiro's style guide for his new look. Seems like much as late-game 00 was all about the bits and fangs, late-game IBO is folding sub-arm o'clock. Looking forward to the S2 version of the Kimaris just exploding outwards into this Lovecraftian mass of limbs when it goes into battle. :v:

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

My general feeling is that I really need to see how things play out before I decide how I feel about it. As it stands I'm not sure how much of my analysis of the themes of the show is intentional and how much of it is not. The latest episode at least gave me some confidence that I'm supposed to find this stuff unnerving but I've seen too many shows which attempt to make something pretty horrifying 'cool' so I just want to know what IBO intends before I really make a judgment. Even 23 episodes in it's a little hard to get a feel for what the writers intend to be cool and what they intend to be creepy.

This is pretty much how I feel, I can even see the Merribit scene being interpreted as 'WEAK WILLED woman patronizes IRON BLOODED kids who have earned through battle the right to witness the revenge'. At the end of the day I don't think there is much of a strong theme here and I'm not expecting much for the ending, I think they just wanted the opposite of the typical limp wristed protagonist for this show, and in implementing that they had to pay some lip service to how traditionally amoral his actions are, giving us some shadow of a theme, while the main thrust is just to depict a power fantasy. They know nobody watches Gundam for its anti-war message and nobody is watching IBO as a treatise on child soldiers, we just want to watch giant robots/Mika do visceral things and at the end be told 'oh yeah all that stuff was bad' to satisfy moral obligations.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Xy Hapu posted:

This is pretty much how I feel, I can even see the Merribit scene being interpreted as 'WEAK WILLED woman patronizes IRON BLOODED kids who have earned through battle the right to witness the revenge'. At the end of the day I don't think there is much of a strong theme here and I'm not expecting much for the ending, I think they just wanted the opposite of the typical limp wristed protagonist for this show, and in implementing that they had to pay some lip service to how traditionally amoral his actions are, giving us some shadow of a theme, while the main thrust is just to depict a power fantasy. They know nobody watches Gundam for its anti-war message and nobody is watching IBO as a treatise on child soldiers, we just want to watch giant robots/Mika do visceral things and at the end be told 'oh yeah all that stuff was bad' to satisfy moral obligations.

That's a rather pessimistic interpretation of that scene. I felt that it pretty much went out of its way to show how messed up Mikazuki's assault was, right down to several people pointing out how brutal his attack was. Merribit's reaction was pretty consistent with the end of the previous episode where she commented how messed up revenge-fueled motivation is. Even the engineer agreed with her. Mikazuki's meeting with Orga was downright creepy, complete with Orga having a look of fear on his face like he seriously was worried that Mika was going to hurt him. The series has consistently showed the visceral nature of Mikazuki's fighting style along with closeups on the blood-splattered cockpits. I really don't think we're all supposed to take that in as COOL and BADASS.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ziddar posted:

That's a rather pessimistic interpretation of that scene. I felt that it pretty much went out of its way to show how messed up Mikazuki's assault was, right down to several people pointing out how brutal his attack was. Merribit's reaction was pretty consistent with the end of the previous episode where she commented how messed up revenge-fueled motivation is. Even the engineer agreed with her. Mikazuki's meeting with Orga was downright creepy, complete with Orga having a look of fear on his face like he seriously was worried that Mika was going to hurt him. The series has consistently showed the visceral nature of Mikazuki's fighting style along with closeups on the blood-splattered cockpits. I really don't think we're all supposed to take that in as COOL and BADASS.

Also, they've very explicitly put the alternative interpretation (Tekkadan as heroic child-martyrs fighting and dying for a noble cause) into the mouth of the slimy dickbag who serves as the main villain of the show. Like, there's literally an evil plan going on to cast them as that. Couple that with how aggressively unglamourised death has been so far (seriously, I don't think there's been a single one that wasn't messy, painful, and humiliating - even Fumitan's relatively clean heroic sacrifice got undercut by Mika's 'that's not Fumitan any more'), and I really don't think that this story's going to endorse the 'live fast, die young, and leave a good-looking corpse' lifestyle.

Another thing to note is that Tekkadan is actually referencing a nasty little piece of real-world history - the Tekketsu Kinnotai, the Iron-Blooded Imperial Corps, a brigade of several hundred Japanese middle-schoolers who were drafted to fight in the Battle of Okinawa near the end of World War II and suffered appalling casualties. In other words, a bunch of little kids sent out to die by cynical adults, which is something this show has roundly condemned so far.

One thing I did think about - there is still some small chance of a happy ending here. We've been increasingly shown that Tekkadan's particular brand of violence is not a long-term solution to their problems, and only Kudelia can save them - see also, the end of the Dort arc. Having her save them from a life of violence directly, pulling some batshit insane stunt to peacefully de-escalate both sides (because Gaelio and Ein are victims too) during the Edmonton brawl, would be a genuinely cool thematic cap-off to the series. They've protected her all this time, and taught her about the world, and now it's her turn to protect them from that world and from themselves. Plus; if it's a grand enough gesture and saves enough lives (because mobile suit brawl in capital city = nopenopenope), it'd give her all the leverage she needs to make some dramatic, sweeping changes to better the lives of the solar system's oppressed (starting with Mars, presumably). Then we'd just need to wrap up with McGillis and Nobliss getting quietly iced (or loudly in Macky 's case, because we haven't properly seen what the Grimgerde can do yet), and some footage of everyone's newfound prosperity on Mars, and we've got a pretty serviceable finale that could probably be wrapped up with a pretty fast turnaround.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Ziddar posted:

Oh I agree they make an effort to show it's hosed up, but it's still presented on a very real level in a COOL and BADASS way as well, not to endorse what Mika is doing but just for the sake of power fantasy, and let's face it, most of us like to see it and it adds to our enjoyment even though we understand that it in and of itself is not a good thing. They pay lip service to how revenge is bad, but that doesn't change the fact that we all still get off on revenge and the writers know this and have already capitalized on this many times, same as most other shows, so it's hard to think the writers are being completely honest when they try to depict Mika's actions as messed up.

I don't think what I'm saying is very controversial and if it sounds like it I'm probably just wording it wrong, Death Note and Lelouche and others do the same thing, and Gundam itself is pretty anti-war but it also makes war look cool for the sake of the viewership's enjoyment, the only question is whether IBO is actually trying to say something about child soldiers and the fact that Mika is in a badass mobile suit is just a concession to financial success, or if the whole child soldier thing is just an edgy backdrop for the series that makes the protagonist more palatable.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think you're doing a lot of projecting here.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Xy Hapu posted:

Oh I agree they make an effort to show it's hosed up, but it's still presented on a very real level in a COOL and BADASS way as well, not to endorse what Mika is doing but just for the sake of power fantasy, and let's face it, most of us like to see it and it adds to our enjoyment even though we understand that it in and of itself is not a good thing. They pay lip service to how revenge is bad, but that doesn't change the fact that we all still get off on revenge and the writers know this and have already capitalized on this many times, same as most other shows, so it's hard to think the writers are being completely honest when they try to depict Mika's actions as messed up.

I dunno dude. I liked Carta a lot, I didn't want to see Mika get revenge by killing her or her, let's be honest, totally harmless subordinates.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Darth Walrus posted:

One thing I did think about - there is still some small chance of a happy ending here. We've been increasingly shown that Tekkadan's particular brand of violence is not a long-term solution to their problems, and only Kudelia can save them - see also, the end of the Dort arc. Having her save them from a life of violence directly, pulling some batshit insane stunt to peacefully de-escalate both sides (because Gaelio and Ein are victims too) during the Edmonton brawl, would be a genuinely cool thematic cap-off to the series. They've protected her all this time, and taught her about the world, and now it's her turn to protect them from that world and from themselves. Plus; if it's a grand enough gesture and saves enough lives (because mobile suit brawl in capital city = nopenopenope), it'd give her all the leverage she needs to make some dramatic, sweeping changes to better the lives of the solar system's oppressed (starting with Mars, presumably). Then we'd just need to wrap up with McGillis and Nobliss getting quietly iced (or loudly in Macky 's case, because we haven't properly seen what the Grimgerde can do yet), and some footage of everyone's newfound prosperity on Mars, and we've got a pretty serviceable finale that could probably be wrapped up with a pretty fast turnaround.

I dunno about this, since there's like two episodes left. There is absolutely no plausible way that Ein will back down in the time we have remaining. He was completely and wholly dedicated to the prospect of killing a shitload of kids for revenge even before his desire for revenge robbed him of his humanity; there's absolutely nothing that Kudelia could say that could sway him from his path now that he's a killer robot and have it actually make sense. As long as Ein is wholly on board with vengeance, Gaelio will be too, especially since Gaelio is now dealing with the baggage of watching Carta die horribly. There's nothing that's going to resolve this conflict short of either side dying or being rendered completely unable to fight; if Tekkadan loses then most of them die, if Gaelio dies then Tekkadan is on Gjallarhorn's Eternal poo poo List for killing two scions of the Seven Stars, and if Ein dies, Gaelio is going to be even more committed to the permanent cycle of revenge.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Another thing to note is that Tekkadan is actually referencing a nasty little piece of real-world history - the Tekketsu Kinnotai, the Iron-Blooded Imperial Corps, a brigade of several hundred Japanese middle-schoolers who were drafted to fight in the Battle of Okinawa near the end of World War II and suffered appalling casualties. In other words, a bunch of little kids sent out to die by cynical adults, which is something this show has roundly condemned so far.

Oh wow, I had no idea Tekkadan's name was actually a reference to something. That's interesting and loving horrifying.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Eej posted:

I think you're doing a lot of projecting here.

Oh come on, your avatar is a power fantasy machine bristling with guns the sole purpose of which is to kill other human beings.

boom boom boom posted:

I dunno dude. I liked Carta a lot, I didn't want to see Mika get revenge by killing her or her, let's be honest, totally harmless subordinates.

I didn't care about the revenge itself in this instance either since it didn't really feel like there was any malice behind Biscuit's death, but didn't you at least get a kick out of the spectacle of the thing? Or did you really just feel bad/horrified the whole way through? If so you are a better human than I.

I just find it hard to imagine that the show creators spent all that animation time and giant robot choreography just for the purpose of showing that Mika is messed up, especially since the message is diluted a bit when both main combatants are inside said giant impersonal robots.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Xy Hapu posted:

Oh come on, your avatar is a power fantasy machine bristling with guns the sole purpose of which is to kill other human beings.

I didn't care about the revenge itself in this instance either since it didn't really feel like there was any malice behind Biscuit's death, but didn't you at least get a kick out of the spectacle of the thing? Or did you really just feel bad/horrified the whole way through? If so you are a better human than I.

I just find it hard to imagine that the show creators spent all that animation time and giant robot choreography just for the purpose of showing that Mika is messed up, especially since the message is diluted a bit when both main combatants are inside said giant impersonal robots.

Actually my avatar is an inside joke from when I misidentified a huge Strike Rouge decal on a wall in a club as Heavyarms and I most decidedly am not a fan of SEED.

Anyway the reason why people watch Gundam, or rather, the reason why Gundam is still relevant, is that it has always had the message that war is terrible and also that children will often get dragged into the wars that adults create. Zeta Gundam, for example, had a lot of concessions in terms of action scenes and rapid rotation of mobile suits for merchandising purposes but the protagonist is driven by a noble(r) purpose. The ending is grim as hell and even if the fights are kickin rad you still walk out of it knowing that all that violence is lovely.

If you're referring specifically to the last combat scene, it is a very well animated slaughter and yes you are supposed to think that everything is messed up while also thinking it looks good. Your opinion could be divided on whether rejecting a duel offer by attacking them immediately is either kinda lovely or the smart thing to do, you might find it kinda funny that the dudes are dumb enough to stand outside of their suits and get caught out in the open but then the blood splatters start happening and you're supposed to realize this is not a Good Thing. Merribit is the voice of the writer being really unsubtle about what is going on here.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

While it's true enough that there's no such thing as an anti-war war movie, as it were, it's clear this is supposed to look cool and disturbing. Gundam's a fundamentally anti-war franchise that makes bank on robot toy soldier violence, they've been trying to eat their cake and have it for decades. How well they manage is up to the viewer but judging by fan reaction I would personally consider the anti-war message to be the less successful side of the Gundam coin.

Compared to the bulk of the other Gundam series, though, violence in IBO makes for a more uncomfortable watch, Mika's recent rampage included. Neither Merribit's reaction nor that of the Tekkadan kids were accidents. It's also pretty clear which perspective the writer sympathizes with. I can't think of another Gundam series off the top of my head where a protagonist's bloodlust inspires horror among his close allies. Or where it was so obvious that the protagonist was also meant to inspire horror among the more thoughtful portion of the audience.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Xy Hapu posted:

The scene in question features literally everyone except the younger Tekkadan kids and Makanai reacting with open disgust and disbelief at what Mika was doing. Orga starts the scene in disbelief at Mika before slipping his poker face back on because he has to play the leader and act like he's in control of the situation. Lafter, a noted combat veteran who takes active joy in fighting people with mobile suits, looks vaguely nauseous and calls out "Gross" while Mikazuki stomps a disabled opponent's cockpit into paste. Merribit, a woman who has spent her entire tenure in the series being the calm voice of wisdom and reason, tries to shield the kids from what is happening and is completely ignored. We're then treated to an extended sequence of Mikazuki systematically and methodically ripping an enemy mobile suit to pieces far beyond the point where it's capable of defending itself while its pilot sobs and cries about how she wanted a fair fight and how she doesn't want to die, followed by getting to watch that pilot choke out her last words to her childhood friend while he struggles to not burst into tears himself.

I actually cannot possibly understand how someone could watch the scene in question and not immediately get "wow, this is pretty messed up" vibes from it, regardless of how well-animated or choreographed it is. Do you think Scarface is a movie about how drugs are awesome because Tony Montana got rich off them for a bit before they destroyed his life and killed him?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Actually if my memory of movie posters in college dorm rooms is correct, yes!

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Eej posted:

Actually my avatar is an inside joke from when I misidentified a huge Strike Rouge decal on a wall in a club as Heavyarms and I most decidedly am not a fan of SEED.

Anyway the reason why people watch Gundam, or rather, the reason why Gundam is still relevant, is that it has always had the message that war is terrible and also that children will often get dragged into the wars that adults create. Zeta Gundam, for example, had a lot of concessions in terms of action scenes and rapid rotation of mobile suits for merchandising purposes but the protagonist is driven by a noble(r) purpose. The ending is grim as hell and even if the fights are kickin rad you still walk out of it knowing that all that violence is lovely.

If you're referring specifically to the last combat scene, it is a very well animated slaughter and yes you are supposed to think that everything is messed up while also thinking it looks good. Your opinion could be divided on whether rejecting a duel offer by attacking them immediately is either kinda lovely or the smart thing to do, you might find it kinda funny that the dudes are dumb enough to stand outside of their suits and get caught out in the open but then the blood splatters start happening and you're supposed to realize this is not a Good Thing. Merribit is the voice of the writer being really unsubtle about what is going on here.

Ah, that's my bad then about the avatar, it was a low blow on my part anyway. I agree with most of what you're saying, like I said I don't think it's particularly contentious to say a contradiction exists between sending a message and making something watchable. I just don't think IBO is committed enough to a message to sacrifice too much in the latter department, and it sends a strange mixed signal. Yes on one hand Mika's brutality in the Carta duel is made clear, on the other it is framed by triumphant music and revenge for a likable character, on one hand Merribit is flatly stating this is not cool, on the other hand she is an 'outsider' adult telling kids what to do and being stoically ignored as they stand in solidarity with the protagonist (when has the adult figure ever been 'right' vs kids in pretty much anything, and why would, say, a kid who is watching this identify more with Merribit than the orphans?). On one hand Mika is scary and enjoys killing and You Don't Want to be Mika, on the other hand in all other aspects he is a giant Gary Stu complete with mini harem, wisdom-filled one-line put-downs, ace piloting ability, a gundam, loyalty, caring of his friends, quaint peaceful after-war dream, and on and on while the people he fights are largely ridiculous villains. If they really do want to be unsubtle about revenge being bad (the one thing I disagree with you on) how are we supposed to interpret the fact that the orphans forgave hitlerstache instead of taking revenge and he ended up trying to gently caress them over? Or the other comedy villains that got their comeuppance throughout the show? We have Ein as a counterpoint but again, why the inconsistency? If an inexperienced kid were watching this I would feel like there would only be a 50/50 chance he would take away the 'right' message from it, and not because of subtlety or difficulty of the subject matter, just the way it's presented. Sure it's easy for us to figure it out, since based on experience and expectations the message has to be the socially acceptable one and we obviously come into the show with that bias built-in, but I doubt it's easy to work out for someone without a lot of that conditioning.

I think this is a result of the writers more or less just throwing stuff up that seems cool/dramatic/funny/whatever (like the whole Akihiro's brother story) instead of working off a strong central theme, consequently missing the beat often or delivering something ambiguous and kind of meandering along plot-wise. Sure we are drawn to assuming it is deeper than that because it has the veneer of brutal reality and child soldiers and some nuanced character moments, but I don't think that's panned out at all so far and I doubt there's anything it can do this late (unless there is a S2) to pull things together to a good thematic conclusion.

Kanos posted:

The scene in question features literally everyone except the younger Tekkadan kids and Makanai reacting with open disgust and disbelief at what Mika was doing. Orga starts the scene in disbelief at Mika before slipping his poker face back on because he has to play the leader and act like he's in control of the situation. Lafter, a noted combat veteran who takes active joy in fighting people with mobile suits, looks vaguely nauseous and calls out "Gross" while Mikazuki stomps a disabled opponent's cockpit into paste. Merribit, a woman who has spent her entire tenure in the series being the calm voice of wisdom and reason, tries to shield the kids from what is happening and is completely ignored. We're then treated to an extended sequence of Mikazuki systematically and methodically ripping an enemy mobile suit to pieces far beyond the point where it's capable of defending itself while its pilot sobs and cries about how she wanted a fair fight and how she doesn't want to die, followed by getting to watch that pilot choke out her last words to her childhood friend while he struggles to not burst into tears himself.

I actually cannot possibly understand how someone could watch the scene in question and not immediately get "wow, this is pretty messed up" vibes from it, regardless of how well-animated or choreographed it is. Do you think Scarface is a movie about how drugs are awesome because Tony Montana got rich off them for a bit before they destroyed his life and killed him?

Orga barely reacts and strongly reaffirms Mika's action a scene later, not because he has to 'play the leader' but because of the understanding he and Mika came to in the previous episode which he is directly referring to. 'No' 'Ew gross' 'Brutal' are hardly damning condemnations, yes it's gross and brutal, no, nobody cares enough to even try to get Orga to stop him at any point, which as shown in the same sequence he can easily do. Mika squashed said opponent as a direct reaction to him trying to destroy the rails, no I don't think he would have let him live either way but why do you think the writers interjected a justification for him to squash the cockpit? The kids' refusal of Merribit is framed as a moment of solidarity that has practically become a cliche, maybe they are intentionally subverting the cliche (why would they do this and only change the context, when it confuses the issue since the cliche has a definite interpretation?) or maybe they have fallen prey to it, IBO uses and subverts cliches in equal measure so I don't know. Yes Carta sobs and cries about her fair fight bullshit and honor all the while attacking Mika, obviously he has the upper hand the entire time but she is not exactly a limbless torso getting beaten on and the only point at which it's 'far beyond the point where it's capable of defending itself' is the same point at which he is about to land the finishing blow, before that she had been mobile and fighting and evading and was armed. And there is triumphant background music playing all the while.

So yes, this does have messed up vibes (did I at any point say it didn't, or did I only say there was more to it than that? Hint, it's the latter and I've been going out of my way to say so), no it's not as extreme as your overblown and half-remembered narration suggests, and yes I think there is room here for someone to see it and think, well that's definitely messed up, but it was kind of neat as well and it subverts a lot of stuff I'd normally expect in this type of show. Next time you find yourself jumping out of your shorts in your eagerness to put the smackdown on someone whose posts you didn't even comprehend by terribly transcribing the scene in question and then adding nothing else to the discussion except a lovely insult, please reconsider.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Xy Hapu posted:

Orga barely reacts and strongly reaffirms Mika's action a scene later, not because he has to 'play the leader' but because of the understanding he and Mika came to in the previous episode which he is directly referring to. 'No' 'Ew gross' 'Brutal' are hardly damning condemnations, yes it's gross and brutal, no, nobody cares enough to even try to get Orga to stop him at any point, which as shown in the same sequence he can easily do. Mika squashed said opponent as a direct reaction to him trying to destroy the rails, no I don't think he would have let him live either way but why do you think the writers interjected a justification for him to squash the cockpit? The kids' refusal of Merribit is framed as a moment of solidarity that has practically become a cliche, maybe they are intentionally subverting the cliche (why would they do this and only change the context, when it confuses the issue since the cliche has a definite interpretation?) or maybe they have fallen prey to it, IBO uses and subverts cliches in equal measure so I don't know. Yes Carta sobs and cries about her fair fight bullshit and honor all the while attacking Mika, obviously he has the upper hand the entire time but she is not exactly a limbless torso getting beaten on and the only point at which it's 'far beyond the point where it's capable of defending itself' is the same point at which he is about to land the finishing blow, before that she had been mobile and fighting and evading and was armed. And there is triumphant background music playing all the while.

So yes, this does have messed up vibes (did I at any point say it didn't, or did I only say there was more to it than that? Hint, it's the latter and I've been going out of my way to say so), no it's not as extreme as your overblown and half-remembered narration suggests, and yes I think there is room here for someone to see it and think, well that's definitely messed up, but it was kind of neat as well and it subverts a lot of stuff I'd normally expect in this type of show. Next time you find yourself jumping out of your shorts in your eagerness to put the smackdown on someone whose posts you didn't even comprehend by terribly transcribing the scene in question and then adding nothing else to the discussion except a lovely insult, please reconsider.

What the hell is this response for?

Orga's immediate reaction is "Mika, you..." in an incredulous tone of voice before his expression immediately hardens. He can't suddenly go "WHOA MIKA COOL IT OFF AND SETTLE DOWN" without completely undermining his position after winding Tekkadan up in the name of vengeance already, and he knows this, so he just goes with the flow and makes it seem like all is according to plan. Mika stomps the guy's arm into the ground to stop him from grabbing the rails and then, after preventing that from happening, smashes the now defenseless guy's cockpit into paste in a fit of pique. At no point is Carta presented as remotely a threat to him; he effortlessly evades precisely two frantic attacks that she makes for the entire fight while he systematically deconstructs her in an almost surgical way, casually slicing and bashing pieces of her suit off one at a time while she frantically tries to defend herself and fall back. She never successfully comes remotely close to landing a single damaging hit on Mikazuki and Mikazuki could have easily killed her at basically any point like he killed her subordinates.

I rewatched the scene in full before making the post(as I tend to before making analysis posts to make sure that I have the order of events in mind), so don't accuse me of "overblown and half-remembered narration" when you don't even remember what happened yourself. You're getting really hostile and insulting for no real reason and it's kind of baffling when I never insulted you.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 20, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Weeeeeeeelp

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Weeeeeeeelp

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

All the kids are dying and i'm still getting mixed messages about the whole thing.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Spent the whole series thinking Tekkadan tended to "win" way too easily, then suddenly ep. 24...

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Well, that's one way to sell Einbot as a terrifying enemy. Jesus christ.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

All the kids are dying and i'm still getting mixed messages about the whole thing.
We aren't done yet, and I don't know about you, but I'm getting real bad vibes from Makanai.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's hosed up in a way that's making me want to watch more.... What's wrong with me?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

rudatron posted:

We aren't done yet, and I don't know about you, but I'm getting real bad vibes from Makanai.

He has been incredibly callous and uncaring about human lives in basically all of his little asides, so I'm with you on that. He has pretty much no obligation to follow up on his end of the deal if he comes to power except for the goodness of his heart because Tekkadan's worth to him is spent and Kudelia won't have bargaining leverage anymore.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I just saw Gary Stu and instantly thought you're a moron with no worth in arguments.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Oh, Makanai is definitely going to pay his debts. No doubt about it, they Gjallarhorn are the power mad maniacs that strapped a quadraplegic into a war machine, and sent it into a neutral zone. Not to mention they have been flagrantly interfering with internal affairs, colluding with (other) corrupt politicians, and violating sovereignty. Gjallarhorn totally overstepped their bounds as peacekeepers, and they are going to pay on the world stage. And what do you know, you have the one man who resisted Gjallarhorn, vote [O] Makanai for Prime Minister of Arbrau, so he can free us from Gjallarhorn oppression!

The problem is, there is nothing that Makanai can pay that can make up for all the bloodshed that Tekkadan have endured. Tekkadan will get a hefty bonus, but Kudelia isn't getting poo poo besides token concessions to Mars, and no lack of economic exploitation, which defeats the purpose of why Orga placed his bets on Kudelia, and why Tekkadan placed their bets on Orga.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Also RIP my waifu.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

"Gjallerhorn isn't supposed to be interfering in Arbrau Internal Politics!" *is clearly blocking a candidate from Prime Minister from attending the conference*

Also I guess having Ein rampage around the city is basically McGillis' perfect scenario for loving Gjallerhorn's reputation.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I wasn't a fan of the timeskip in the opening, but there was very little point in them showing three days of pointless stalemated fighting. I do wish they'd just spent a minute or two doing a montage of those three days so it felt less disjointed.

Good episode aside from that.

Phobophilia posted:

The problem is, there is nothing that Makanai can pay that can make up for all the bloodshed that Tekkadan have endured. Tekkadan will get a hefty bonus, but Kudelia isn't getting poo poo besides token concessions to Mars, and no lack of economic exploitation, which defeats the purpose of why Orga placed his bets on Kudelia, and why Tekkadan placed their bets on Orga.

The prime minister of Arbrau has the power to declare Chryse's independence, which has been Kudelia's concrete political goal from the start. A self-governing Chryse will be able to do full-scale exploitation of half-metal (instead of the current state, where its production is regulated), which is what they can use to generate wealth and what Barriston is after.

Of course, given the show isn't very idealistic, I fully expect that granting Chryse full independence will take months if not years, and obviously won't solve the poverty situation for decades.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

That was a really good and tense episode. I was not prepared for Ein's new suit/body to be a Psycho Graze.

RIP 75% of Tekkadan. This all is basically perfect for McGillis no matter who wins.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's kind of funny despite all the deaths and everything, when I saw the Ein's graze in action I thought "drat this thing is cool, I'll have to pick up the model kit when it comes out."

Gundam in a nutshell folks :v:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Jesus -gently caress-. I agree that the timeskip at the beginning was kinda weird, but the rest of the episode made up for that, all things considered.

I'm seconding everyone who's getting cold feet about Makanai, because he does not seem like he's exactly a good fit for Tekkadan's group, and seems to have been incredibly nonchalant about how much of Tekkadan is just straight up dying.

I'm wondering if McGillis knew that Ein's own revenge fantasy would mean he eventually would break off the chain or not. It would explain why he pushed Gaelio to do it for him in the first place, and it looks like he knew he was going to have to betray Gaelio the whole time, though it's nice to see where exactly he stands.

There's no way that the final episode doesn't talk about how loving psychotic and insane Ein Graze is. People on Earth already don't have a good opinion of A-V and Ein's fusion with his suit probably won't be seen as anything other as horrifying. Compounded with Gjallarhorn's brazen interference of politics, it's clear Gjallarhorn's been set up to take a nasty fall here.

I think we all know Shino was going to get plastered the second Ein showed on the field but god drat did I not expect just pistoning through the cockpit. :gonk: RIP Shino, RIP Lafter, RIP Azee.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monathin posted:

Jesus -gently caress-. I agree that the timeskip at the beginning was kinda weird, but the rest of the episode made up for that, all things considered.

I'm seconding everyone who's getting cold feet about Makanai, because he does not seem like he's exactly a good fit for Tekkadan's group, and seems to have been incredibly nonchalant about how much of Tekkadan is just straight up dying.

I'm wondering if McGillis knew that Ein's own revenge fantasy would mean he eventually would break off the chain or not. It would explain why he pushed Gaelio to do it for him in the first place, and it looks like he knew he was going to have to betray Gaelio the whole time, though it's nice to see where exactly he stands.

There's no way that the final episode doesn't talk about how loving psychotic and insane Ein Graze is. People on Earth already don't have a good opinion of A-V and Ein's fusion with his suit probably won't be seen as anything other as horrifying. Compounded with Gjallarhorn's brazen interference of politics, it's clear Gjallarhorn's been set up to take a nasty fall here.

I think we all know Shino was going to get plastered the second Ein showed on the field but god drat did I not expect just pistoning through the cockpit. :gonk: RIP Shino, RIP Lafter, RIP Azee.

Ein headshotted the Ryusei-Go, injuring Norba with the shrapnel and impact. He got interrupted before going for the cockpit in the chest. Big guy's still alive. Azee's totally dead. Lafter, I'm not sure about. There was a cutaway, which means either injured but not killed by a glancing hit or 'Jesus Christ nobody wants to see what that foot-drill does to a person'.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Darth Walrus posted:

Ein headshotted the Ryusei-Go, injuring Norba with the shrapnel and impact. He got interrupted before going for the cockpit in the chest. Big guy's still alive. Azee's totally dead. Lafter, I'm not sure about. There was a cutaway, which means either injured but not killed by a glancing hit or 'Jesus Christ nobody wants to see what that foot-drill does to a person'.

That's actually a good point. But drat if it wasn't horrifying all the same. Kind of hoping Shino pulls through, if only because he immediately looks like thee most expendable of the Tekkadan mobile suit pilots, so him surviving would be a bit of a nice blessing.

I'm pretty sure Lafter's dead, though. Foot-drill straight to the cockpit is probably not something you walk away from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Well, that was a good episode.

I feel pretty bad for Merribit, though...

• Locked thread