Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Your Computer posted:

vvv good catch, I had actually forgotten about him because he sucks vvv

He is the only place you can get the bellowing dragoncrest ring, though, and if you're doing a sorcery build he's pretty useful for extra copies of all the various spells up until you can free logan and pick up soul spear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

TimNeilson posted:

By the time you can get it later you don't have any real use for it, because it's sold by Domnhall after he moves out of the depths, and I don't think the trigger for that is until after you defeat quelaag, so you've already had the chance to get the new londo ruins key, which I think is the "last" door you can use it on.

I feel like Domnhall selling the key is so you can start ng+ by going in whatever direction you want.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

I just have to vent; I found out that the guys behind Extra Credits who make interesting videos about game development, narrative, social issues in games etc. also have a sort of Let's Play channel... and they have an ongoing series on one of the guys' first playthrough of Dark Souls! Very exited, I started up the first video and not minutes into it the guy who has played the game previously and is "the expert" says flat out to the new guy that "Melee is probably the worst way to play". Then he makes him pick the Master Key as a starting gift.

How can you be so wrong, internet person. How can you be so wrong?? :negative:

I was excited at first when I saw they were doing it, but after I saw the videos, I couldn't keep watching, because his mindset is very much set in the most optimised way to play the game and he seems to think any bit of challenge as a bad design.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Mordaedil posted:

I was excited at first when I saw they were doing it, but after I saw the videos, I couldn't keep watching, because his mindset is very much set in the most optimised way to play the game and he seems to think any bit of challenge as a bad design.

Which guy? Cause the one playing doesn't seem to think that (or at least doesn't by now, I don't remember the beginning too well though), and the other guy leaves after... I think after Quelaag? The LP becomes much better at that point.

Telum fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 18, 2016

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I guess I should give it a watch? It was just a bit rough to watch that early on, with that other guy.

He has pretty good insights on games in general, but he's a bit carefree with Dark Souls.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
At what point am I 'locked' into a build? obviously i can switch whenever but going to 20 in all stats would probably be a terrible strategy.

So if I've sank 25 points into str should I just keep going str on that character? It's a level 25ish cleric with a little end/vit as well.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
if its pve then it doesent matter. builds only matter for pvp. going str/faith is fine if you like that style.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Nevvy Z posted:

At what point am I 'locked' into a build? obviously i can switch whenever but going to 20 in all stats would probably be a terrible strategy.

So if I've sank 25 points into str should I just keep going str on that character? It's a level 25ish cleric with a little end/vit as well.

As far as STR and DEX goes, in Dks2 you only need the bare minimum to meet the stat requirements for the weapons you want to use.

I'd definitely focus on defensive stats first and possibly magic related stats if that's your thing.

EDIT: Wrong game, sorry

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 18, 2016

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Nevvy Z posted:

Just see it as an incentive to try out the Artorias weapons. :v:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

honestly anyone who tries to be a backseat gamer when their friend is playing their first Dark Souls run should be stoned and/or hung to be quite honest in my humble opinion

my buddy watched me play a little of my first run and (because he's a good friend who realizes the importance of players learning for themselves) kept his mouth shut and only talked about things I already knew, or gave only the most cryptic of hints even when I caved and begged for advice

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mordaedil posted:

I guess I should give it a watch? It was just a bit rough to watch that early on, with that other guy.

He has pretty good insights on games in general, but he's a bit carefree with Dark Souls.

I skipped ahead and it seems there are 25 episodes with the backseater. It's really grating to me because while he has some interesting game dev insight and design stuff to talk about with Dark Souls, he also blurts out a lot of really wrong info. Like the Miracle Resonance rings being a weird bug :(

e: and it's stuff that wouldn't be a problem if he wasn't actively backseating. I remember thinking "is this like a glitch? Is that my targeting reticule?" the first time I encountered those things too, but then I saw more and gradually made my own opinion of what they might be. If someone just tells you "this is how things are", you're losing one of the most interesting parts of playing a Souls game for the first time.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Those things by the way, are tiny indicators that your divine miracles get a tiny buff if you cast any when you see them.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I remember I first played the game on PC when that whole "all synergy rings are in a specific spot in darkroot forest" bug was going on and I thought it had something to do with the gate that's right next to it. I spent at least a good half hour running around trying to figure out how to open the gate because I completely forgot about the key belonging to andre

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I remember watching someone who didn't know you had to buy a talisman to perform miracles, so he couldn't figure out how to cast heal.
Every time he would find one of those circles, of course his heal would get a big white circle over it as well.
It drove him insane.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Whoever thought putting a summon sign actually inside a boss fight of a boss that can instantly kill you was either:

A.)Not thinking about how annoying and unfun this is (it flies in the face of the "tough but fair" feel of the rest of the game)
or
B.)A complete and utter rear end in a top hat because he thought it'd be funny.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I found Sif to be absolutely useless in that fight too

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think Sif is supposed to be more of an easter egg than an actual help. He doesn't do much against Manus, but he looks cute. And in the end, isn't that what's really important?

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Eh he can buy you some safe time to heal or reapply buffs or w/e

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah for a player who hasn't gotten manus's timing down, a reprieve from the seemingly unending onslaught is pretty dang good

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

He doesn't do much against Manus, but he looks cute. And in the end, isn't that what's really important?

:petdog: :shittydog:

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Regy Rusty posted:

Not for your first playthrough it isn't!

I picked the Tiny Being's ring as my first gift because I thought it would work like the Adjudicator's shield in demon souls :allears:

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
Manus monkey rage was the best thing ever.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
It's a little bit of "sif is useless, barely does damage and almost never survives the fight, also he's a hidden secret behind a fake wall"

and a little bit of

Foolster41 posted:

B.)A complete and utter rear end in a top hat because he thought it'd be funny.

but the funniest thing is the people putting messages exactly over his summoning sign spot.

Basically summoning Sif and keeping him alive to the end of the fight is Manus' optional challenge and i've only done it once. Kind of like cutting off Kalameet's tail to get the worst ring ever, except more rewarding.

Edit: Right, my bad :) Tail gets you http://darksouls.wikidot.com/obsidian-greatsword which i've never used personally.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 19, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the ring isn't the tailcut item, you just get it for killing kalameet. you actually get another dragon weapon if you somehow get that tail

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Tollymain posted:

the ring isn't the tailcut item, you just get it for killing kalameet. you actually get another dragon weapon if you somehow get that tail

Yeah, you get the extremely underwhelming Obsidian Greatsword :geno: At least it's better than most of the Dragon weapons.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 19, 2016

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The Obsidian Greatsword has low stat requirements and does a lot of damage for a non-scaling weapon, it's pretty good.

The problem is that it's the reward for one of the hardest things to do in the game, so, like, it's your best weapon for an extremely specific build that would have trouble for the entire game up to that point and there's basically no game left.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ng+ :v:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The real purpose of OGS is to bust out the baller 2H attack in PVP.

I think it can also be buffed, so you can cast invisible weapon on it?

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

death .cab for qt posted:

I think it can also be buffed, so you can cast invisible weapon on it?

Yep! It's the only dragon weapon that can be buffed.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

How does one handle the giant coffin filled with 6 or 7 giant skeletons in the Tomb of the Giants? I can kill them with two swings of my sword, but I just can't deal with all of them before one of them gets a hit in, and then it's over. The angle of the higher ground makes it impossible to hit them with pyromancy from above.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Do alluring skulls work on them? That or kite them around by running on the ledge.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Ariong posted:

How does one handle the giant coffin filled with 6 or 7 giant skeletons in the Tomb of the Giants? I can kill them with two swings of my sword, but I just can't deal with all of them before one of them gets a hit in, and then it's over. The angle of the higher ground makes it impossible to hit them with pyromancy from above.

You can hit them with pyromancys from the ledge, but it requires a lot of camera fiddling and waiting for them to be in the right position. Once you kill a few though you can fairly safely pull one at a time to fight normally.

Edit: plunging attacks also work

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I ended up losing my bloodstain, so I just went on a suicide run to get the items.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The problem is that it's the reward for one of the hardest things to do in the game, so, like, it's your best weapon for an extremely specific build that would have trouble for the entire game up to that point and there's basically no game left.

It's also super annoying because by the time you get it the boss isn't even hard and you're just trying to bait out tail slams. I'm glad they got rid of tail cuts, they kinda ruin the experience of defeating a boss.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

GodFish posted:

You can hit them with pyromancys from the ledge, but it requires a lot of camera fiddling and waiting for them to be in the right position. Once you kill a few though you can fairly safely pull one at a time to fight normally.

Edit: plunging attacks also work

On my clubman run, I did a plunging attack with a +11 great club and killed 4 at the same time due to the huge hitbox :getin:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Ariong posted:

Only reason to care about that room is if you have faith. Basically spam wrath of god.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

There are a few things that work. Pyromancy, Wrath of the Gods, Hidden Body, the Ring of Fog, tons of Poise and bleeding resistance, plunging attacks with a heavy melee weapon, or just plain suiciding to get the ember.

It's definitely one of the hardest rooms if you're doing a melee-only run, but then it's also completely optional. If you don't need Divine +10 weapons, the only reason to do it is for bragging rights.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!
Spoilers: you don't need a +10 divine weapon, there are better options for pretty much any build.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It was nice not having to deal with skeletons during the Nito fight though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The silver knight spear does the job just fine against Nito's skeletons but requires 22 dex so that may suck for pure STR characters.

• Locked thread