Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Cerv posted:

The Home Office have actually listened to the ACMD for once and poppers have been saved.
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/03/2...paign=PNTwitter

Happy days

The home office were told bluntly by the ACMD that poppers were not psychoactive and a ban would not be enforceable under legislation. This is being spun as them "changing their mind".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
For those who missed "Nicky Morgan vs The Graph of gently caress You Got Mine"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC_Yhggk62o

In which Nicky Morgan tries to pretend she cannot comprehend what the graph possibly means.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Spangly A posted:

The home office were told bluntly by the ACMD that poppers were not psychoactive and a ban would not be enforceable under legislation. This is being spun as them "changing their mind".

After the home office previously said the act was written to specifically include poppers.
Would've been interesting to see which way the courts eventually interpreted the badly written nonsense.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Cerv posted:

After the home office previously said the act was written to specifically include poppers.
Would've been interesting to see which way the courts eventually interpreted the badly written nonsense.

I would absolutely love to watch the ACMD take the governments legislation to the loving cleaners in a courtroom but sadly they and everyone else is outright banned from writing about how stupid the government is anymore.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

The Home Office have actually listened to the ACMD for once and poppers have been saved.
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/03/2...paign=PNTwitter

Happy days
Well, it's good that the one that anyone can make in a kitchen with no chemistry training isn't getting banned.

However "I understand that the Council has now advanced its understanding of the psychoactivity of the alkyl nitrites group under the Act and concluded that only substances that directly stimulate or depress the central nervous system are psychoactive under the Act." is the biggest bunch of :psyduck: since "‘Data’ includes data which is not electronic data and any information (whether or not electronic)." (which was only a few weeks aro, but this government likes legislation with a high rate of :psyduck:).

So poppers dilate the blood vessels, which causes an indirect psychoactive effect? What's a direct effect? Something that directly acts on a receptor only? What about prodrugs and other indirect mechanisms? Heroin is only a prodrug for delivering morphine.

Or if you're going to look at it another way, that they're still going to be as broad as possible on psychoactive substances, does that mean that bromide salts are banned? Those do directly depress the central nervous system if you eat them, however they don't if you're using them for photography (excluding any aesthetic meandering about the psychoactivity of art). Now the obvious and sensible solution is to allow them to be sold legally for photography but not for human consumption, but this entire act was supposed to get rid of the "Plant Food - Not For Human Consumption ;)" loophole, so what does that now mean? Bromide salts are banned? Solvents are banned?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Guavanaut posted:

Well, it's good that the one that anyone can make in a kitchen with no chemistry training isn't getting banned.

However "I understand that the Council has now advanced its understanding of the psychoactivity of the alkyl nitrites group under the Act and concluded that only substances that directly stimulate or depress the central nervous system are psychoactive under the Act." is the biggest bunch of :psyduck: since "‘Data’ includes data which is not electronic data and any information (whether or not electronic)." (which was only a few weeks aro, but this government likes legislation with a high rate of :psyduck:).

So poppers dilate the blood vessels, which causes an indirect psychoactive effect? What's a direct effect? Something that directly acts on a receptor only? What about prodrugs and other indirect mechanisms? Heroin is only a prodrug for delivering morphine.

Or if you're going to look at it another way, that they're still going to be as broad as possible on psychoactive substances, does that mean that bromide salts are banned? Those do directly depress the central nervous system if you eat them, however they don't if you're using them for photography (excluding any aesthetic meandering about the psychoactivity of art). Now the obvious and sensible solution is to allow them to be sold legally for photography but not for human consumption, but this entire act was supposed to get rid of the "Plant Food - Not For Human Consumption ;)" loophole, so what does that now mean? Bromide salts are banned? Solvents are banned?

Haha look at you trying to make sense of garbage.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

future thoughts for Labour: politicise the ACMD, promise to write some legislation that actually makes sense.

I don't even mean good legislation like decrim or regulation, just something that will actually survive a courtroom. Bring back Nutt too.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
it means that the reason almost nobody else has tried a blanket ban on legal highs is that it was always obvious that any law you could write would end up being a complete mess, requiring some really dodgy interpretations to function

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Spangly A posted:

future thoughts for Labour: politicise the ACMD, promise to write some legislation that actually makes sense.

I don't even mean good legislation like decrim or regulation, just something that will actually survive a courtroom. Bring back Nutt too.

Aww, the cheerful naivety of someone who thinks any legislation written anywhere in the western world in the last 50 years has been written by people who understand the subject being legislated and not by disinterested civil servants being shouted at by politicians to write something that sort of matches the promise they just pulled directly out of their arse to keep the papers quiet.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Drug policy has always been about banning things because they are psychoactive, not because they are bad for you, which is insane by any standard and I can't even think of the conservative political ideological reason for it.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Aren't these regulations supposed to come into force in April?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Boing posted:

Drug policy has always been about banning things because they are psychoactive, not because they are bad for you, which is insane by any standard and I can't even think of the conservative political ideological reason for it.

"Puritanism is the haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy"

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Boing posted:

it's not conservative, it's reactionary. I don't understand this. It must be banned.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Boing posted:

Mostly that poors and ethnic minorities do them.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Guavanaut posted:

However "I understand that the Council has now advanced its understanding of the psychoactivity of the alkyl nitrites group under the Act and concluded that only substances that directly stimulate or depress the central nervous system are psychoactive under the Act."
I guess this means the smell of delicious, delicious curry is banned, cos that acts pretty directly on my CNS by stimulating olfactory receptors, which set off a neuronal cascade in my brain that ends up with me wanting to eat a delicious, delicious curry.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

XMNN posted:

Mostly that poors and ethnic minorities do them.

also this, the Heroin scare was one of the most absurdly hypocritical things that's evolved in recent history. We can't have those Chinese and blues musicians laying around on heroin, we should instead create a black market and infect with world with addiction.

*swigs opium*

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I've underestimated how damaging this would be to Osborne, I'm starting to think he'll be gone soon. The papers have decided they can get him out so they're all after him now. I don't even think it's inherently a political stance from them, just that the narrative is rolling now and they smell blood.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Hoops posted:

I've underestimated how damaging this would be to Osborne, I'm starting to think he'll be gone soon. The papers have decided they can get him out so they're all after him now. I don't even think it's inherently a political stance from them, just that the narrative is rolling now and they smell blood.

I think the issue for the Tory leadership is that their flagship propaganda outlets, like the Telegraph and the Mail, back Brexit. So they are far more willing to print article that damage the leadership than they would otherwise be.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not if you look at what anti-EU campaigners are actually after it's not. It's never been about freedom of movement (of people or of capital), these are things that are massively advantageous to the upper classes because they keep wages and taxes locked in a race to the bottom. What it's about is the removal of whatever restrictions there may be on these Glorious Captains Of Industry. You know, things like not forcing your staff to work 90 hours a week for 30 hours pay, or preventing your factory from spewing arsenic into the air and water, or any of the other millions of pettyfogging little annoyances that they think up in Barmy Brussels to keep the poor benighted job-creators down.

yeah I know this I just mean imagine how the millions of non-rich brexit supporters would react to being screwed over so openly

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Sadly, this Belgium bombing is going to be a gift from the gods for the Tories. The news will be full of it for weeks, it gives urgency to the investigative powers bill, and after a sober period of reflection, the out boys will be jumping up and down about immigrants.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Trickjaw posted:

Sadly, this Belgium bombing is going to be a gift from the gods for the Tories. The news will be full of it for weeks, it gives urgency to the investigative powers bill, and after a sober period of reflection, the out boys will be jumping up and down about immigrants.

immigrants really means muslims these days, doesn't it?

I mean you're right, but it's not as if radical jihadists are getting on ferries at Zeebuirg to attack us

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

BBC posted:

Conservative MP James Cartlidge intervenes to question John McDonnell's "fitness for office".

"On a day of a terrorist attack" he asks Mr McDonnell to "withdraw his previous support for terrorist organisations that have attacked this country".

John McDonnell replies that "to bring that into the debate at this time at a politcial point at this stage is unacceptable" and points out he has criticised the terrorist attacks in Belgium.

Speaker John Bercow is forced to intervene to say "attempts to shout the shadow chancellor down" were "unacceptable".

The debate is getting a bit nasty

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

"Puritanism is the haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy"

Joke's on them, I'm a stoic so I'm always happy, even when I'm not. Suck it shitlords!

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Jose posted:

McConnell really should not have held back there, that was a loving disgraceful remark and unparliamentary language was called for.

He should have told the nasty little rat to get hosed.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Bercow gets some praise as speaker but the fact he let that question remain is ridiculous. He just compared a member of the opposition to a suicide bomber while the news streams images of bodies everywhere.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Phoon posted:

yeah I know this I just mean imagine how the millions of non-rich brexit supporters would react to being screwed over so openly
Glorious communist revolution? :getin:

Rejection of UKIP followed by a Corbynist landslide?

Nah it'll probably end up being something terrible.

Jose posted:

The only moral terrorist sympathizers are our terrorist sympathizers.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Spangly A posted:

immigrants really means muslims these days, doesn't it?

Not sure there's a real difference other than they're different code words for "not white".

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Kassad posted:

Not sure there's a real difference other than they're different code words for "not white".

Can slim it down even closer to "not the right kind of white". Cuz they really don't like eastern Europeans either.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Trickjaw posted:

Somewhat less helpful for the Tories that are supporting staying in Europe, like the Prime Minister, for example.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://t.co/Y97JUh62cU
Welsh polling:

REMAIN 43 (+6)
LEAVE 38 (-7)

CON 22 (=)
LAB 34 (=)
LIB 5 (=)
UKIP 15(-3)
PC 21 (+2)

CON 22 (=)
LAB 31 (=)
LIB 5 (+1)
UKIP 14 (-4)
GRN 4 (+1)
PC 22 (+3)

That'd mean the loss of Labour's majority in the Assembly. Fieldwork was done before Osborne's budget, so public opinion may have shifted against the Tories since.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 22, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

Welsh polling:

REMAIN 43 (+6)
LEAVE 38 (-7)

CON 22 (=)
LAB 34 (=)
LIB 5 (=)
UKIP 15(-3)
PC 21 (+2)

CON 22 (=)
LAB 31 (=)
LIB 5 (+1)
UKIP 14 (-4)
GRN 4 (+1)
PC 22 (+3)

That'd mean the loss of Labour's majority in the Assembly. Fieldwork was done before Osborne's budget, so public opinion may have shifted against the Tories since.

Wow, I know Wales likes the EU, but that's a real big surge in support since whenever they last ran a poll.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Darth Walrus posted:

Wow, I know Wales likes the EU, but that's a real big surge in support since whenever they last ran a poll.
The last poll was an outlier with Leave having a comfortable lead.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

LemonDrizzle posted:

Welsh polling:

REMAIN 43 (+6)
LEAVE 38 (-7)

CON 22 (=)
LAB 34 (=)
LIB 5 (=)
UKIP 15(-3)
PC 21 (+2)

CON 22 (=)
LAB 31 (=)
LIB 5 (+1)
UKIP 14 (-4)
GRN 4 (+1)
PC 22 (+3)

Sort of inevitable with the rise of UKIP in the last 5 years. Still, Labour working with PC would be likely, as happened in 2007 when Labour only managed 26 AMs

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Boing posted:

The only moral pleasure is the pleasure gained from the purchase of a consumer product, bought with the meagre scratchings earned from a zero-hours contract. Pleasure must be portioned up and dispensed only after acceptable levels of despair and suffering have been endured. This is known as 'striving'.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the hottest of takes from katie hopkins
https://twitter.com/KTHopkins/status/712236185482092544

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

You would be the sort of idiot who gives her the attention she wants.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

gently caress off

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

and corbyn's weakass response

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/712202239713083392

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

It is unsurprising you would follow that oval office. I'm glad she knows the origin of who ever the bombers were, the rest of the world doesn't.

E: actually, rather than engaging with you, gently caress off oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

shrike82 posted:

and corbyn's weakass response

What would a strong response sound like?

• Locked thread