Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
gently caress democracy. Establish a khanate, demand reasonable tribute, and come back and crush face if they get uppity again. If we're as awesome as we think we are, it will work out fine.

##vote
1. A

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
The main argument for democracy as far as I'm concerned is to make the populace like us so they don't react poorly to being expected to obey our whims and fund our ongoing adventuring. We want them to be able to take care of their own issues in a way that doesn't compromise any of that or take a significant amount of our time and attention.

This is a case where what's good for the city is good for us. We want them to prosper, because if they're prospering they can afford to give us enough tribute that we can afford to fire witchfire shells all day long, operate more automatons, grow our crew, engage in magical weapons R&D, and so forth.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 23, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Yeah, we can't afford being Cool And Flashy Evil if we go down the road of Kill Maim Burn Everything For No Reason Evil and then run out of funds because of it.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Ralith posted:

The main argument for democracy as far as I'm concerned is to make the populace like us so they don't react poorly to being expected to obey our whims and fund our ongoing adventuring. We want them to be able to take care of their own issues in a way that doesn't compromise any of that or take a significant amount of our time and attention.

This is a case where what's good for the city is good for us. We want them to prosper, because if they're prospering they can afford to give us enough tribute that we can afford to fire witchfire shells all day long, operate more automatons, grow our crew, engage in magical weapons R&D, and so forth.

Sure. But the goonmind doesn't manage stuff well long term. So it's better to play the role of marauder and count on being cool enough that people want to join us and give us stuff so we'll protect them.

Basically be Ghengis not Caesar. We don't care what they're doing as long as the cash flows and the roads are ours.

It's not the optimal profit but it's more entertaining and more sustainable.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Not Alex posted:

Sure. But the goonmind doesn't manage stuff well long term. So it's better to play the role of marauder and count on being cool enough that people want to join us and give us stuff so we'll protect them.

Basically be Ghengis not Caesar. We don't care what they're doing as long as the cash flows and the roads are ours.

It's not the optimal profit but it's more entertaining and more sustainable.

Right, I think basically nobody wants to manage stuff directly. As far as I'm concerned, let Crik and Sketter set up whatever they think is most sustainable while still being profitable and move on.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I don't want to spend a lot of time ruling this city because I fear it would interfere with the fact that WE HAVE A GIANT BADASS ROBOT AND SHOULD BE DOING ADVENTURES
I say teach them to fend for themselves, leave them a couple of their mechs, load ourselves with loot, and be on our way.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

After carefully crafting a constitution for Anabasian self rule, you return to the Rumbler to find his legs have rusted through and he is no longer capable of movement...

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

You resolve to rebuild a defensive force here in Anabas.
Tomorrow you'll leave a few soldiers to get that off the ground while the rest of you ride the Rumbler over to visit Uchuam. The best position to be in when dealing with future threats is directly in front of it with a huge fuckoff cannon pointed directly at its face.

WOW! That sure is a lot of words that do Not have to do with blowing things up in a giant robot.
You are definitely better at conquering cities than running them. That's what you have Sketter for. Normally it kind of begins and ends with that but you'll be sure to tell him all of this really boring sounding poo poo. He'll probably jizz his jerkin over it.

For tonight at least you have more important things to do like

"PICKING AN OUTFIIIIT," Zaphidor sings, as the wheels on the clothing rack raise a disharmonious screech under his armored bulk. "Girl child do you have anything that isn't black or red."
"Uh maybe some underwear," you say. "And PJs."

The Tyrant Argus XVI's harem chambers were cleared of slave girls after his death. In their place is row upon row of armoires, racks, and clotheslines containing the second best thing about being a warlord besides the crushing-enemies-lamentation-of-the-women stuff.
Which is, of course, villainous outfits. Most of which are admittedly, in your case. black and red.

"Look I know what I like," you say.
"You have to come correct for this dinner engagement tonight." Zaphidor starts plucking things from their hangers and tossing them into Anastasi's arms. "You been on a dry spell, Vic."
"There was the Zestal Diplomat," Anastasi says. "Two months ago."
"I'm saying dry spell," Zaphidor says. "THAT guy was maybe a glass of water. THIS guy is a mothafuckin' oasis."
"It's not just about bagging a cute boy, Zaph," you say. "He's a Void-Mage. If we can pry Pi Xui off him and get him as a full-time crewman there's all sorts of fun poo poo we could use him for."
"We? You gonna share?"
"You're a eunuch, Zaphidor."
"Eunuchs can still appreciate art, Boo," Zaphidor says. "And he got earrings. Maybe I'm in the game. SO what kind of look you thinking for with this little dinner tete a tete?"

1 You say:

A I want to be serving some Badass Spiky-Shoulder Conquerer Realness. Like make sure he knows he's dining with the Iron loving Mantis.
B Something cutey casual. Like letting my hair down kind of thing.
C Formal and diplomatic. This is not a candlelit romance, this is a business-slash-recruitment dinner.
D Full-on femme fatale Maneater chic. Let's wow him.
E The nicest, fanciest, most bedazzled thing I own. I'm the Queen and the Rumbler's my castle kinda deal.
F Y'know what I'm just going in what I was already wearing. Why make a big deal out of it?

(note for write-ins I will also accept GIS or handdrawn pics)

LordVonEarlDuke fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 24, 2016

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

:stwoon:

Perfect reaction to all that boring stuff.

##vote
1. D
this is for sure the look we should be rocking

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
##vote
1. D

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
##vote
1. D
because A/C/F don't convey the romantic aspect of our interest, B doesn't reflect our assertive personality, and E is tasteless.

Also so far he's rolled with our punches pretty great and I want to see how he reacts.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Another vote for jawdropping hotness.

##vote
1. D

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
E, He's got to take the good with the bad. And the Bad is our Good :getin:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Slaan posted:

E, He's got to take the good with the bad. And the Bad is our Good :getin:
So you want to show up covered in glitter? I don't get it.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

##vote
1. D

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

FUN FACT about this CYOA's cast of characters, BTW:
I actually modeled Victoire's advisors / retinue after different poster types I've encountered GMing this sort of group vote thing in the past.

Zaphidor is the uncomplicated Id poster who says funny poo poo and just wants to have a good time with it.
Crik is the kind of poster who writes big, wild, out-there write-in plans.
Anastasi is the murderhobo sociopath who suggests violence for everything.
Sketter is the micromanaging, bureaucratic Citybuilder type.

If you guys want to really roll up your sleeves and turn Talos into Victoire-ia 2 (ho ho) I'll try and go with it; I'm just Not Good at that sort of thing and tend not to read it, either, so I don't have much experience there.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

If you guys want to really roll up your sleeves and turn Talos into Victoire-ia 2 (ho ho) I'll try and go with it; I'm just Not Good at that sort of thing and tend not to read it, either, so I don't have much experience there.

Just ignore them. We killed off our last simcity building protagonist and some people are still jonesing.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
i want the D

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Here's how I picture the poli-sperg going down from now on.

We'll pm, pastebin, or google doc LordVonEarlDuke with some ideas. He'll nod his head up and down like he read it, but he'll just ignore it unless something like that is needed for a plot point.

Win-win for everyone. We get our poli-sperg on. The thread is spared poli-sperg. And LordVonEarlDuke has something he can use in a pinch.

Let's be honest here, I'm probably the only one who'll go to the trouble. But maybe, just maybe, someone else here'll do that too.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

##vote
D - Unless he's trying to play us, we've already got him flustered. Go all in and have him eating out of our hand.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

the_steve posted:

##vote
D - Unless he's trying to play us, we've already got him flustered. Go all in and have him eating out of our hand.

Hand? Doing it wrong, boo.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
##vote
1. D

I'd try to find a picture, but then I'd have to pick one.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Personally I think something like this http://i.imgur.com/eyQXQrF.jpg is sexy without being too in your face about it, plus adding some gold to our wardrobe after taking over a golden city just makes sense. But definitely show some cleavage.

Just a thought.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

hollylolly posted:

Personally I think something like this http://i.imgur.com/eyQXQrF.jpg is sexy without being too in your face about it, plus adding some gold to our wardrobe after taking over a golden city just makes sense. But definitely show some cleavage.

Just a thought.

:love: it.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Maybe something like this (not the shoes, just the dress, I assume we have better-looking shoes), but with shiny black jewellery? Some collar or choker type obsidian or black onyx thing?

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Okay, I was going to vote B for the contrast with our personality but holly and waci's pics are too pretty to ignore.

##vote
1. D

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

yo synthesizing those 2 images into one outfit is kind of a bitch to do, it turns out.
what about something like this?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Eyepatch needs some red to fully accessorize. We gotta have a collection of fashionable eyepatches right?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Looks cool! I'm partial to the midriff baring (bareing?? ffs somehow I can't spell anymore) sari look, but it was just a suggestion. ;)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
As long as those stilettos are capable of punching through breastbone I like it.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Eyepatch needs some red to fully accessorize. We gotta have a collection of fashionable eyepatches right?

:agreed:

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

"The Void-Mage, milady." Ire stands at rod-straight attention.
His ganger roughly pushes Volter forward into the dining room.
"Oof." Volter rubs his arm. "Hi."

"Thank you, Ire," You say. "And.... Jocasta's under there, right?"
Jocasta nods.
"At ease, guys. I think I can handle him from here."

"Ma'am." Ire taps his foot once and his underling immediately and noisily vacates. "We will be directly outside," he says. "Speak and we will return."
"I hope you don't listen too close," you call after him.

"Never been strip searched on my way to dinner," Volter says.
"Well you've never had dinner with the Iron Mantis," you say.

You turn back to the lowlit table with a swish of silk and hair (giving him just a sliver of a panoramic) and sit in an overstuffed, wine-red chair. "Won't you have a seat, Mr. Kepral."

"Volter's fine." Volter does so. "If I'd known you'd be looking this good I'da borrowed a shirt."
"If you had I might have had you thrown out," you say.
"So," Volter says. "Will the Iron Mantis do or can I call you Victoire?"

1 You say:
A The Iron Mantis will indeed do.
B Victoire's fine.
C My friends call me Vic.

2 And then you (picking all that apply)
A start pouring a steady but bottomless amount of wine out for him to lubricate the evening
B Conduct yourself professionally and formally.
C Conduct yourself so as to maximize your chances of breaking that dry spell Zaphidor mentioned.
D Conduct yourself personably and casually. To make a new friend (just a friend, thank you)
E Find out more about him. What's being a Void-Mage like, anyway?
F Find out more about him. What's being a half-Shaytan like, anyway?
G Find out more about him. What's being a hot guy like, anyway?
H Ask him about his buddy Pi Xui.
I Set about trying to find a way to recruit Volter out from under Pi Xui.

LordVonEarlDuke fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 25, 2016

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

closeup on the eyepatch design for yall who demanded it:

It's a mantis-ized motif of the Rumbler's face

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
##vote
1. B
Let's show interest but not get TOO familiar until he earns it.
2. A, E, F, G, H, I, C I have no objection to this scene going on for ages of exposition and character development :allears:

Ralith fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 25, 2016

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Congrats, we now have our very own dating sim with giant robots.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

##vote
1. B
2. A, C, E, F, G

:allears:

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

##vote
1. B
2. A, E, I

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
##vote
1. B

Question, is the eyepatch cosmetic, covering up a magic relic, or do we have a permanent eye injury?

Edit: Hmm, I thought I fixed this three hours ago. I guess not.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
##vote
1. B
2. B, A, I, C, G

If anime has taught me anything it's that we probably have a special eye or some other magical artifact under there. So I expect it's actually just an injury.

• Locked thread