Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

mehall posted:

Phoneposting so can't pull excerpts, but Piers Morgan thinks he has the moral highground (specifically even saying "Shame on you, Mr. President")

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3508029/PIERS-MORGAN-Twinkle-toes-Obama-demon-tango-comes-reading-public-mood-s-tone-deaf.html

In the wake of terrorist incidents it's important that we have barely-relevant and remote political leaders drop everything in order to return home and make Powerful Statements that, I assume, invite terrorists to come on, square up and have a go if you think you're hard enough. It's important that these political leaders remind us that we're fighting these people we're already fighting because otherwise we might forget they're trying to kill us in the aftermath of them killing a bunch of us. If these attacks are allowed to go unanswered by generalised and empty political platitudes the terrorists (and of course, Piers Morgan) win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

LemonDrizzle posted:

There's a lot about Lansbury that should be disowned (e: and was aggressively and unequivocally disowned by Attlee). Advocating total national disarmament in the 1930s was basically the equivalent of saying "hey, let's all cut our own throats!"

He only became leader because MacDonald decided to lead a coalition made up of Conservatives mainly. The '31 election was a disaster, Labour lost 225 seats as they split into 2, with group around Ramsey MacDonald & the main party lead by a man who ended up losing his seat. George Lansbury ended up leader, it'd never have happened if Labour hadn't fractured over the National Government, but he was regarded as having helped keep Labour alive & motivated after that electoral disaster.

I'm certainly not damning him. George Lansbury was a good man & a man of conviction. Yes, he was on the wrong side of history. Still something admirable about pacifists. Especially so soon after the Great War had scarred a generation. And he resigned the leadership of the party rather than compromise those beliefs or opposing the will of the party. He was wrong to not stand against fascism, realising that the only way to deal with thugs is by facing up to them, and he was wrong to think that dealing with the BUF in his local constituency of Poplar was to avoid confrontation, but there was still much to admire. Far too few men of conviction have lead the Labour Party in recent years.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Far too few men of conviction have lead the Labour Party in recent years.
Tony Blair needs a conviction.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Semprini posted:

Tony Blair needs a conviction.

I get the joke, but Blair was a man of conviction. That was a good part of the problem.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tony Blair believed that God told him to kill brown people. Why did he not get the help that he needed?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Guavanaut posted:

Tony Blair believed that God told him to kill brown people. Why did he not get the help that he needed?

i don't know what you're complaining about he got loads of help killing brown people

Testro
May 2, 2009
The kidnap story has echoes of Brat Camp, which was shown about a decade ago on C4.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

What a scummy excuse for a paper

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Acaila posted:

What a scummy excuse for a paper

What a scummy excuse for reading the thread!!!!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
There's also some scum under that thumbnail.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Is no one else intrigued by

'I've
blo
bra'?

But yeah loving hell the Sun.

Edit: Nicky Morgan blaming low teacher recruitment on teachers being too negative about their profession :psyduck:

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 26, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kegluneq posted:

'I've
blo
bra'?
I've gone and
blown my
brains out

It's a light-hearted fluff piece about a Sun journalist who painted their brains over the ceiling after reading their own creative output, then the Sun allowed them to keep on writing afterwards.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Kegluneq posted:

Is no one else intrigued by

'I've
blo
bra'?

But yeah loving hell the Sun.

Edit: Nicky Morgan blaming low teacher recruitment on teachers being too negative about their profession :psyduck:

Kind of up there with Jeremy oval office's investigation of low doctor morale specifically not looking at the unilateral imposition of a new contract, high working hours, or low pay (i think?)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Kegluneq posted:

geez if people just stopped being unhappy then we'd have a much better time in this country

my new government policy is to pay people to stand in public thoroughfares and yell at everyone to smile all the time

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Oberleutnant posted:

Kind of up there with Jeremy oval office's investigation of low doctor morale specifically not looking at the unilateral imposition of a new contract, high working hours, or low pay (i think?)

According to the beeb she got booed and shouted at at the NASUWT conference.

The Tories are past and future masters of appearing to say and do meaningful things that actually are total bollocks, but there's really very few major outlets currently willing or able to call them on it.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

According to the beeb she got booed and shouted at at the NASUWT conference.

Her mistake was allowing herself to get anywhere near the people who her policy effects. She should take some notes from Jeremy Hunt, if she's allowed to know where his secret bunker is.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Teachers in England seem to already be getting totally shafted. I mean they've got lots to complain about in Scotland, but I actually can't understand why anyone would want to be a teacher in England anymore.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

Yeah, the new 'review' specifically states that it doesn't cover anything to do with pay and working conditions. :psyduck:

Thankfully the doctors who were supposed to be doing the review have basically said 'gently caress off, this is a farce'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Acaila posted:

Teachers in England seem to already be getting totally shafted. I mean they've got lots to complain about in Scotland, but I actually can't understand why anyone would want to be a teacher in England anymore.
Their desire to help kids break out of the cycle of being shat on outweighs the poo poo that they themselves will receive.

That's the only reason I can think of. That or they actually believed the advertising campaigns. I wouldn't trust any job that has to advertise itself on bus stops though.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

jabby posted:

Thankfully the doctors who were supposed to be doing the review have basically said 'gently caress off, this is a farce'.

If they hadn't, I'd have expected them to come back with "the only negative effects on morale are coming from those things you told us not to talk about".

To which I'd anticipate a reply of "our changes are good because we say so, and this inquiry found no other reason for morale to be low, therefore there is no morale problem :pseudo:"

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

serious gaylord posted:

You remember the 1 in 5 muslims are jihad sympathisers Sun headline? Ipso have actually upheld the complaint.

https://www.ipso.co.uk/IPSO/rulings/IPSOrulings-detail.html?id=331

This is quite possibly the worst part of the IPSO's code of conduct:

quote:

The Committee did not consider any complaints raised under the terms of Clause 12 (Discrimination), as these complaints did not raise a potential breach of the Code against any particular individual.

So basically the Sun telling people to take up arms against the Muslim population would be almost certainly illegal but not unethical.

Press regulation, everyone! :suicide:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Angepain posted:

geez if people just stopped being unhappy then we'd have a much better time in this country

my new government policy is to pay people to stand in public thoroughfares and yell at everyone to smile all the time

It's a decent idea, but as a representative of the Conservative Party I'd just like to ask if there's any way we could outsource it. Because the free market is much more efficient & is infallible.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Kegluneq posted:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/713709040929345536

Christ, Imagine having the nerve to turn up in front of a room full of teachers and say that?

"Stop complaining about the ways we're destroying your profession because otherwise nobody will want to be a teacher anymore"

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I honestly feel a bit sorry for Nicky Morgan. Given how often she's on QT/other politics shows it's so obvious she's just the poor sod junior minister they send out to take the abuse for them. She is clearly out of her depth and has a perpetual look of panic on her face. You should have seen her expression when Dimbleby called her out while she was delivering a clearly scripted on message point, pure 'schoolkid who hasn't done her homework being asked to explain something to the class'

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

I honestly feel a bit sorry for Nicky Morgan. Given how often she's on QT/other politics shows it's so obvious she's just the poor sod junior minister they send out to take the abuse for them. She is clearly out of her depth and has a perpetual look of panic on her face. You should have seen her expression when Dimbleby called her out while she was delivering a clearly scripted on message point, pure 'schoolkid who hasn't done her homework being asked to explain something to the class'

Feeling sorry for a tory? that's a paddlin'.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That's probably why they're sending her out, thinking she'll get some sympathy

'Out of her depth' pretty much describes all the ideas guys that make up the Tory cabinet though

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
You know what's a good de-stress? Not being part of something everyone hates.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

Christ, Imagine having the nerve to turn up in front of a room full of teachers and say that?

"Stop complaining about the ways we're destroying your profession because otherwise nobody will want to be a teacher anymore"

I've never quite understood the mentality that says 'big government is bad, but being patronising and haughty to people just because they disagree with government policy is good'

Like does she not realise she comes off as a serious Umbridge in that clip

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

And a reminder from yesterday (thanks to whoever the original poster was) that Corbyn got a standing ovation from the National Union of Teachers http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35891011

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is bad for Corbyn.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

And a reminder from yesterday (thanks to whoever the original poster was) that Corbyn got a standing ovation from the National Union of Teachers http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35891011

brutal

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

J_RBG posted:

I've never quite understood the mentality that says 'big government is bad, but being patronising and haughty to people just because they disagree with government policy is good'

Like does she not realise she comes off as a serious Umbridge in that clip

They're all philosopher kings and don't like being challenged on their infallible wisdom by their subjects

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

baka kaba posted:

They're all philosopher kings and don't like being challenged on their infallible wisdom by their subjects

Plato was a piece of poo poo for someone who was that clever anyway so I wouldn't put much stock in his thoughts on government.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Gonzo McFee posted:

She's basically smirking the whole way through.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

There's a lot about Lansbury that should be disowned (e: and was aggressively and unequivocally disowned by Attlee). Advocating total national disarmament in the 1930s was basically the equivalent of saying "hey, let's all cut our own throats!"

Advocating it in 1931 is a whole other kettle of fish than 1938, though. It certainly wouldn't have been my position back then, even pre-Hitler, but it's not quite as dumb a position as later history makes it look. Kind of like advocating unilateral nuclear disarmament today perhaps :can:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Gonzo McFee posted:

Was this deceptively edited or was the only thing she used to 'proof' that things are better that 6 year olds are slightly better at reading than 3 years ago?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Tesseraction posted:

Unions are bad therefore being applauded by unions is bad.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

Was this deceptively edited or was the only thing she used to 'proof' that things are better that 6 year olds are slightly better at reading than 3 years ago?
Well of course they are, 3 year olds aren't very good at reading. :downsrim:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
^^ fuk u

happyhippy posted:

3 year-olds are pretty poo poo at reading so it's not really a surprise.

(Yes I know that's not the claim but it's the sort of poo poo that politicians love to pull with stats)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Not sure about that bit, but she said 'on the way to' reading slightly better. They're not even better yet!

• Locked thread