Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

RandomPauI posted:

I'd also like to plug Rifftrax "Shake Hands with Danger" and that one with the Canadian kids who keep almost dying in a construction yard until they actually almost die.
Don't forget "One Got Fat". :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

RandomPauI posted:

I'd also like to plug Rifftrax "Shake Hands with Danger" and that one with the Canadian kids who keep almost dying in a construction yard until they actually almost die.

It's not MST3K, but Guru Larry does a pretty great job presenting Apaches, a PSA about the most dangerous farm in the British empire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3JjyoEhCuo

He used to have another one about The Finishing Line, but it was deleted for some reason

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jesus Christ, British PSAs were loving horrifying.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Jesus Christ, British PSAs were loving horrifying.

you better believe it.

Tenuous link to MST3K via Donald Pleasence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb00H6mCTM8

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
Tommy calls many men "dad".

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Jackey Jones (of "Manos" fame) did an interview with Cracked today:

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2150-5-things-i-learned-as-child-star-worst-movie-ever.html

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
At a pal's house in the States for Easter, and we watched Doctor Strangelove last night (her for the first time -- how do you get to be 50 and have never seen this??) and me for the first time in a while; holy cow I'd forgot how many riffs were based on lines from this film.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

This is a great read. I always love the stories behind bad movies.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

RandomPauI posted:

I believe that's titled Danger Keep Out, and it's pretty great. One of my first Rifftrax shorts.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Powered Descent posted:

Counterpoint. According to the mst3k wiki:

"A notable edit was made during a scene where one of the characters appears out of nowhere on a couch. This was actually a edit made by the editors of MST3K for either time or pacing reasons. The movie itself does not contain this edit."

There's no source listed for that, though, and I'm not about to track down the original film to check.

http://mst3k.wikia.com/wiki/Girl_in_Gold_Boots

Also, I don't think this is true. I've seen a non-MST3K version of the film and I remember that being in there as well. vOv

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It has come to my attention that I have utterly failed my nephews (my sister's sons) by not introducing them to the wonder that is MST3K. These boys are now ten and twelve years old.

So I ask you, thread, what are the best experiments to introduce kids of this age to the wonderful world of MST3K?

My first instinct is to show them the terrible movies I knew and loved in the 90s. Particularly the Joel episodes, for the backstory. Cave Dwellers, The Amazing Colossal Man. Maybe Mitchell for continuity. Then some wonderful Mike episodes like Prince of Space or Space Mutiny.

My biggest fear here is that the Bob Packwood jokes will just go right past them and they'll say, in effect, "meh". MST, with its silly puppet robots, sits in that weird intersection between childish and adult humor, and I don't want to accidentally hit them with college humor in middle school, or the other way around.

But I don't know a drat thing about kids. I just want my nephews to laugh at Tom and Crow with me. Help me, MST thread. You're my only hope.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

It has come to my attention that I have utterly failed my nephews (my sister's sons) by not introducing them to the wonder that is MST3K. These boys are now ten and twelve years old.

So I ask you, thread, what are the best experiments to introduce kids of this age to the wonderful world of MST3K?

My first instinct is to show them the terrible movies I knew and loved in the 90s. Particularly the Joel episodes, for the backstory. Cave Dwellers, The Amazing Colossal Man. Maybe Mitchell for continuity. Then some wonderful Mike episodes like Prince of Space or Space Mutiny.

My biggest fear here is that the Bob Packwood jokes will just go right past them and they'll say, in effect, "meh". MST, with its silly puppet robots, sits in that weird intersection between childish and adult humor, and I don't want to accidentally hit them with college humor in middle school, or the other way around.

But I don't know a drat thing about kids. I just want my nephews to laugh at Tom and Crow with me. Help me, MST thread. You're my only hope.

My first two episodes were Boggy Creek 2 and Merlin's Shop. I saw them when I was 12. I think it helped to have more modern humor and such bizarre movies.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Angel's Revenge or Mitchell. The movies themselves move at a brisk pace to keep the kids from getting bored and, in the case of Revenge, is already goofy as it.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

Angel's Revenge or Mitchell. The movies themselves move at a brisk pace to keep the kids from getting bored and, in the case of Revenge, is already goofy as it.

I know I would have wanted to see Angel's Revenge when I was 10 or 12. Riffed or not.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Powered Descent posted:

Some of the jokes go over everyone's head. Don't worry about it. Despite the occasional mention of Truman Capote or Otis Nixon, the vast majority of riffs are pretty universal.

As for which episodes to start with, my first (and still one of my favorites) was Time of the Apes. I'm not sure how old these kids are, but when I was watching the show first-run during my high school years, I couldn't get enough of the Sandy Frank films. You can't go wrong with Mitchell or Space Mutiny, of course.

The only ones I'd avoid for now are films that aren't very watchable. Things like The Starfighters and Monster A-Go-Go have decent riffs, but the movies themselves drag so much that watching them is a bit of a chore.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

The Ape of Naples posted:

I know I would have wanted to see Angel's Revenge when I was 10 or 12. Riffed or not.

Remember when everyone had this poster... but it was only one of them... and it was Farrah Fawcett!

holttho
May 21, 2007

Definitely pick something in full color (no 70s 'color' of brown and white, looking at you, San Francisco International!); black and white is an unbelievable turn-off for younger generations, and it's only getting worse. They'll have a lack of visual stimuli compared to the movies they see today and say it's boring regardless of content and just tune out.

Mostly pick something that would be appealing to kids sans-riffs, or at least something that resembles movies they would like to see. No dramas or anything like that. Giant Spider Invasion, Boggy Creek, or Diabolik would be solid picks. Also, seconding Angels Revenge. A little 70's T&A exploitation film is good for anyone; and it's a strong bonus that it's simply a good episode.

As for the show in general, whenever I introduce new people to MST3k, I completely skip all the intro and host segments regardless of season. If you don't already love the characters, they are a bit hard to swallow as they are campy to the extreme. Don't let your nostalgia skew your vision of how awful some of the host segments are. Get them to like the meat of the show before you give them the Brussels sprouts. Maybe it is different with kids that age, but those are my two bits.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Pumaman. that's gotta go down well with kids.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mace Bacon posted:

Pumaman. that's gotta go down well with kids.

See if they get the come joke.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Powered Descent posted:

I got into MST3K at around the same age, I really liked the last series the one that was airing at the time. I'd say maybe go at from a genre angle, I really liked the SF films they did but found some of the drama's and mystery episodes a bit of a drag.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I would say that Squirm wouldn't be a bad place to start, it's a bad movie, but not totally unbearable. Plus it starts with A Case of Spring Fever!

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Incredible Melting Man?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Godzilla and Gamera films are great if they're into monster movies

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Volume XXXVI titles announced:

-Stranded in Space
-City Limits
-The Incredible Melting Man
-Riding with Death

holttho
May 21, 2007

Lucky guy, 'bout to find out I'm Ben Murphy. :smug:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Some great ideas from everyone, but this one...

Gann Jerrod posted:

Plus it starts with A Case of Spring Fever!

...got me thinking that the Shorts collection might be a fantastic place to start. Straight to the riffing and a rapid-fire assortment of topics, from Home Ec to the Chicken of Tomorrow.

And I even own a copy! ...on VHS. Wonder if I have a VCR in the attic somewhere...

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

Some great ideas from everyone, but this one...

...got me thinking that the Shorts collection might be a fantastic place to start. Straight to the riffing and a rapid-fire assortment of topics, from Home Ec to the Chicken of Tomorrow.

And I even own a copy! ...on VHS. Wonder if I have a VCR in the attic somewhere...

Please throw in the short Uncle Jim's Dairy Farm, which precedes Bloodlust.

"MY JAM HANDY!"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

holttho posted:

Lucky guy, 'bout to find out I'm Ben Murphy. :smug:

And Abby, what a gal!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Powered Descent posted:

My daughter loving loves Revenge of the Creature. She first saw it when she was five, and two years later still laughs her rear end off at it.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

CaptainYesterday posted:

HADJKA!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Ape of Naples posted:

Incredible Melting Man?

The strangest thing is that I remember watching the show way before this episode, but this is the first episode I remember clearly.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

And Abby, what a gal!

Is she in heaven?

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Start with shorts, virtually all of them are beyond hilarious.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
This man is wearing a push-up bra, now he is pleasing!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The Time Dissolver posted:

Start with shorts, virtually all of them are beyond hilarious.

Not Commander Cody. They're dull as sin, even compared to the rest of Season 1.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

CaptainYesterday posted:

-Stranded in Space
-City Limits
-Riding with Death

This will leave them with about 22 eps left. Several of which (like the Godzilla movies) will be extremely unlikely to see a release.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
And bootleg DVDs of the Godzilla vs. Megalon episode are plentiful and easy to find. Or so I've heard.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Hijinks Ensue posted:

And bootleg DVDs of the Godzilla vs. Megalon episode are plentiful and easy to find. Or so I've heard.

That's why I always buy the sets as soon as they are available.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Confession: when I was a youngin, I thought what's her face that gets thundersquishy was so hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Hogama posted:

This man is wearing a push-up bra, now he is pleasing!

Sash! posted:

Confession: when I was a youngin, I thought what's her face that gets thundersquishy was so hot.

Plenty of lip and tongue action! :heysexy:

• Locked thread