Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
Chris Hemsworth on the other hand....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

quote:

Essendon (80) v Biggest Joke in the League (67)

Nice try Richmond but Melbourne see your ‘losing to Collingwood’ and raise it.

Can you believe the Demons lost to the Bombers? Of course you can. In fact, how did any of us not believe that, even for a second?

How bad were the Demons? Well Channel Nine called them the ‘Devils’ after this loss. Major news organisations don’t even know or care who Melbourne are. And why would they?

Essendon as a club are a lot of things but they’ve got pride. When the world is closing in on them they march on the ‘G and defeat a side despite half their seniors not being able to play.

You can argue their problems are self inflicted (they are) but so are Melbourne’s. At least the Bombers say ‘screw that we’re going to fight’. Melbourne’s players said ‘gee, this is all a bit hard’.

The thing I admire about the Bombers is they fight. They fight even when they sometimes shouldn’t but it does mean they never give up. It sort of the point of a footy team.

They really should have won by more too if Joe Daniher could kick straight. It wasn’t a fluke either, don’t buy the Melbourne excuses, which we’ll look at in a moment. Essendon just worked harder, wanted it more and played better.

That’s the beauty of footy. You have 22 all having a go and you’ll challenge anyone. If you’re lucky enough to be playing Melbourne you’ll win too.

Paul Roos offered three excuses after the loss, lets look at them:

Players were ‘tired’

So I just checked and it’s round two. ROUND TWO. No, not round 22.

Apparently these ‘athletes’ are too tired to beat a team who had 11 senior players suspended this year.

If only we had a highly paid senior coach who’d been there a few years to get the right fitness levels into them. How the media pack didn’t burst out laughing when he said this is beyond me. Beyond.

I must have also missed the bit where Essendon got a bye week in round one too and were fresh as a daisy.

Chose the wrong side

Sorry?

Roos said they chose the wrong side, conveniently throwing Angus Brayshaw under the bus while doing so.

Considering Melbourne currently have two senior coaches, I would have thought this could have been handled by someone.

Melbourne lacked ‘respect’ for Essendon

Why would the Demons disrespect anyone? They haven’t won two games in a row since 2011. They are the laughing stock of the league and have been for a decade. They don’t even respect themselves.

Paul Roos, ladies and gentlemen, worth every million.

It makes you wonder why Demons fans continue to spend our hard inherited on this club.

Titus O'Reilly just being straight up savage

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
The best part is that they actually aren't some irrelevant cellar dweller club off the field. They had an average turnout of nearly 37k back in 2010, and all they had to do to encourage that response was win 8 games. They are a well supported well loved club with deep community roots, not the bad news bears at Carrara circa 1992.

The sorrow is deep and widespread.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Testekill posted:

Honestly I thought that was pretty mild given what was served up, probably largely due to it being so utterly predictable.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Who is Titus O'Reily? I started seeing his stuff pop up over the last 12-24 months but I have no idea who he is or what his job actually is besides being a consistently amusing observer of football.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Is GWS the current holder of Winners Cup? Who's holding the Loser's Cup?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm trying to find a youtube of Mumford conducting a crash test on Duncan, but I cannot find one. The AFL channel doesn't have a highlights package for that game, and the GWS channel hasn't uploaded anything since preseason

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

I'm trying to find a youtube of Mumford conducting a crash test on Duncan, but I cannot find one. The AFL channel doesn't have a highlights package for that game, and the GWS channel hasn't uploaded anything since preseason

Triple M Footy had it on their Twitter feed I think

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

hiddenmovement posted:

The best part is that they actually aren't some irrelevant cellar dweller club off the field. They had an average turnout of nearly 37k back in 2010, and all they had to do to encourage that response was win 8 games. They are a well supported well loved club with deep community roots, not the bad news bears at Carrara circa 1992.

The sorrow is deep and widespread.

It's still a bit of an overreaction I imo, Essendon are less affected by this than people think.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Hard to argue with the criticism of Hogan based on this years form. His body language was pretty poor at times last year but he got a pass because he was competing, out working his opponent, and keeping on going when the ball hit the ground.

Don't want him to turn into the old Jack Riewoldt.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

gay picnic defence posted:

It's still a bit of an overreaction I imo, Essendon are less affected by this than people think.

They sure looked like garbage against the Suns. And that's not even taking the difference between the Suns and the Dees into account. Essendon looked lost all on their own.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Volkerball posted:

They sure looked like garbage against the Suns. And that's not even taking the difference between the Suns and the Dees into account. Essendon looked lost all on their own.

I didn't see that game, but the Suns are pretty good from the looks of things. They certainly have the talent available.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

The Deadly Hume posted:

I wrote some stuff about the weekend. No heavy data analysis in this one, promise.
http://graft.grudnuk.com/outer/2016/04/2016-r02-review/

Replacement Dons to win the flag, Worsfold to then be dumped to make way for Hird's triumphant return

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

lol Carey is the only person who talks sense in the Talking Footy panel

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Periphery posted:

Cry me a river. Jesus christ.

Btw are you avoiding bigfooty saints forum for any reason or just sick of the poo poo?

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

cmndstab posted:

Who is Titus O'Reily? I started seeing his stuff pop up over the last 12-24 months but I have no idea who he is or what his job actually is besides being a consistently amusing observer of football.
No you're pretty much bang on. He's leveraged a witty Twitter account into a Herald Sun column, a podcast on the Greenfield Post and now apparently something on 7.

snaeksikn posted:

lol Carey is the only person who talks sense in the Talking Footy panel
I genuinely forget that show exists

Solemn Sloth posted:

Triple M Footy had it on their Twitter feed I think
Yeah, a gif but they have it:
https://twitter.com/triplemfooty/status/716513345436692481

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Nutsngum posted:

Btw are you avoiding bigfooty saints forum for any reason or just sick of the poo poo?

Sick of the poo poo and need the time for other things.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

gay picnic defence posted:

I didn't see that game, but the Suns are pretty good from the looks of things. They certainly have the talent available.

I would agree, but like I said, essendon made a lot of unforced errors. It was so bad that I was getting deja vu because the game felt exactly like an old suns game. Back when they used to get absolutely throttled by any team worth a poo poo, except we were on the right side of it. I could certainly see an argument for the bombers not having played together, so they were bound to get off to a rough start to the year as they got their feet under them, but they looked every bit the wooden spoon front runner in round 1. It'll be interesting to see how good they actually are as the season goes on.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 4, 2016

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

They're still right in the race for the spoon; Essendon wins over Melbourne tell you as little about how Essendon are going as Melbourne wins over Essendon. I'm happy that Carlton, Essendon and Brisbane are at least going to put up a bit of a fight on their way down to the cellar, the worst thing is when you're a fan of a team that has basically lost every game by quarter time.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

hiddenmovement posted:

They are a well supported well loved club with deep community roots, not the bad news bears at Carrara circa 1992.
At least the Brisbane Bears "bear" mascot found himself a new job.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

cmndstab posted:

He used to be a sports commentator on Triple R Community radio for years

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

2006 - Melbourne lose to eventual wooden spooners Carlton
2007 - Melbourne lose to eventual wooden spooners Richmond
2008 - Melbourne are the wooden spooners
2009 - Melbourne are the wooden spooners
2010 - Melbourne lose to eventual wooden spooners West Coast
2011 - Melbourne manage to beat first year team Gold Coast
2012 - Melbourne manage to beat first year team GWS
2013 - Melbourne lose to eventual wooden spooners GWS (their only win for the season)
2014 - Melbourne lose to eventual wooden spooners St Kilda
2015 - Melbourne lose to eventual wooden spooners Carlton

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

2006 - Melbourne lose to eventual wooden spooners Carlton
2007 - Melbourne lose to eventual wooden spooners Richmond
2008 - Melbourne are the wooden spooners
2009 - Melbourne are the wooden spooners
2010 - Melbourne lose to eventual wooden spooners West Coast
2011 - Melbourne manage to beat first year team Gold Coast
2012 - Melbourne manage to beat first year team GWS
2013 - Melbourne lose to eventual wooden spooners GWS (their only win for the season)
2014 - Melbourne lose to eventual wooden spooners St Kilda
2015 - Melbourne lose to eventual wooden spooners Carlton

All it's gonna take now is a loss to Carlton and Brisbane to make the race interesting.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Schlesische posted:

All it's gonna take now is a loss to Carlton and Brisbane to make the race interesting.

I haven't given up on us getting the wooden spoon and pick 19 yet

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Testekill posted:

Calling it like it is, really.

Volkerball posted:

Someone up the thread said that Essendon are going to get severely exposed when playing real "finals" caliber teams. Well, they played one in round 1 and sure as gently caress didn't play one in round 2.

Solemn Sloth posted:

I haven't given up on us getting the wooden spoon and pick 19 yet
This is going to be a difficult year for me and my liver.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Memento posted:

This is going to be a difficult year for me and my liver.

At least the suns fan will be happy

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Alright so I've watched my second game which was the Crows vs Port Adelaide Power. I unfortunately was treated to another big blowout. I've got some more questions but I'll just ask a few now. Why didn't Port Adelaide wear their away jerseys? That poo poo was kind of frustrating to watch when the camera zoomed out as both jerseys were fairly dark. Also why don't they have the players names on the Jerseys? That's also really frustrating. There's like a 1,000 people on the pitch and I'm trying to figure out who certain people are to no avail. It doesn't help that when the players do get mentioned I sometimes have no idea what they're saying through the accent. The small aboriginal (?) forward for the crows was very good but I never got his name.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Seltzer posted:

Alright so I've watched my second game which was the Crows vs Port Adelaide Power. I unfortunately was treated to another big blowout. I've got some more questions but I'll just ask a few now. Why didn't Port Adelaide wear their away jerseys? That poo poo was kind of frustrating to watch when the camera zoomed out as both jerseys were fairly dark. Also why don't they have the players names on the Jerseys? That's also really frustrating. There's like a 1,000 people on the pitch and I'm trying to figure out who certain people are to no avail. It doesn't help that when the players do get mentioned I sometimes have no idea what they're saying through the accent. The small aboriginal (?) forward for the crows was very good but I never got his name.

The AFLs jumper policy is bizarre and has no real consistency to it whatsoever.

They don't have player names on the jumpers because a bunch of big whiney idiots complain that it's not traditional.

Eddie Betts, you'll get to know him a lot.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

They don't have player names on the jumpers because a bunch of big whiney idiots complain that it's not traditional.

This makes me angry. It's like when people were against goal line tech in soccer even after it had been demonstrated to be completely accurate. The arguments basically were "people should sometimes get screwed out of goals because it's part of the drama and things have always been that way"

Not having names on guernseys is a great way to put off new fans.

e- It's probably hurting jersey sales too, so stupid all around.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 5, 2016

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
EDDIE BETTTTTTS

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

the names on jersey's was trialled for a round e: in 2014 but was only a one off thing. this thread even got in a big dumb argument about whether names should be on there or not.

traditionally speaking in big australian sports names just arent on jerseys, which goes for afl, nrl, and rugby union (cricket one day and t20 kits are the only real exception to that), so when people talk about bringing it in it fans can get a bit parochial and it becomes about the americanisation of our game vs basic convenience. some clubs have been around for 150+ years with the same uniform, so people get fiercely protective of how it looks, despite stupid clash strips getting introduced and replaced every year plus sponsors logos etc. its a touchy subject at best.

snaeksikn fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 5, 2016

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

snaeksikn posted:

the names on jersey's was trialled for a round last year but was only a one off thing. this thread even got in a big dumb argument about whether names should be on there or not.

traditionally speaking in big australian sports names just arent on jerseys, which goes for afl, nrl, and rugby union (cricket one day and t20 kits are the only real exception to that), so when people talk about bringing it in it fans can get a bit parochial and it becomes about the americanisation of our game vs basic convenience. some clubs have been around for 150+ years with the same uniform, so people get fiercely protective of how it looks, despite stupid clash strips getting introduced and replaced every year plus sponsors logos etc. its a touchy subject at best.

I would also like to see Hoskin-Elliot and Kolodjashnij fit on the back of a jumper and still be legible.

Im all for names being on the backs. Makes things so much easier for fans.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Frogmanv2 posted:

I would also like to see Hoskin-Elliot and Kolodjashnij fit on the back of a jumper and still be legible.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Frogmanv2 posted:

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Frogmanv2 posted:

The way to get around both this and the americanization argument is to just put nicknames on the jumper. 'Kolo' 'Gazza' etc.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
when they trialled the names on the jerseys i think it was tom hawkins had his jumper ripped so many times they ran out of HAWKINS jumpers and he had to wear a different one

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Eddie Betts, you'll get to know him a lot.

Case in point, 2013 AFL Grand Final between Hawthorn and Fremantle. Freo had to wear their away jersey because Purple clashes with Gold (see also: Yellow) and Brown some how.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
There is literally no good argument for there not being names on the guernseys. It should have happened years ago.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm struggling to see what's "American" about names on jerseys. I think every sport I've watched at a high level has players with names on jerseys. I have some new sports channel that airs all types of awful stuff like Russian hockey and Chinese basketball and they have names on their jerseys. It's not an American thing... it's a common sense thing, especially when there are about 60 players on a pitch. Maybe names on Jerseys did start here but who cares, good ideas are meant to be adopted.

It's funny because AFL, out of all the weird sports and leagues I've watched, on the face of it seems the most "American" to me. The team names, hard hitting action, no promotion/relegation, the frequent display of stats all game etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Australian football clubs are some of the oldest in the world. So you lot copied us tyvm

• Locked thread