Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

How do you rate the east now given all of these injuries? Is it time to make the Penguins favorites? Because I think they are the best team.

1. Penguins - destroying teams and while maybe their shooting percentage is a tad high, they have been the best possession team in the NHL since Johnston was canned.
2. Capitals - maybe easing up a bit. Possession numbers are pretty good but not nearly as good as the Penguins. Shooting % has been in the toilet recently.
3. Panthers - they have an easy path to the ECF, probably starting with the Islanders or Rangers.
4. Lightning - everyone is injured, otherwise they would be favorites in the Atlantic.
5. Flyers - playing pretty well and relatively healthy. Still don't think they will beat the Capitals (their likely opponent), but as you know every Caps series is close so Philly could easily win
6. Rangers - injured and old D, Lundqvist could still steal a series or two if they get the WC1.
7. Islanders - ehh, they don't really impress me.
8. Bruins/Red Wings - neither team really wants to make the playoffs.

God I hope the Penguins are upset in the first round, they scare the poo poo out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rangers first and the rest nowhere.

Because they're all going to blow it and/or are bad. The Rangers are also bad but that hasn't stopped them from going deep recently.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
tavares' little pass to hickey on the OT winner last night was loving badass

it's cool that kreider and stepan have been hot lately and salvaged mostly garbage seasons but now brassard is quiet. also nash has never really come back from his injury and wasn't doing much before it

imagine if this whole team was actually playing to the best of their abilities at all times

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How has Noah Hanifin been so far?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

a false posted:

it's cool that kreider and stepan have been hot lately and salvaged mostly garbage seasons but now brassard is quiet. also nash has never really come back from his injury and wasn't doing much before it

imagine if this whole team was actually playing to the best of their abilities at all times

Miller has also been Real Good and Zucc has had a pretty great close to the season too.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Cats win ECF

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

If I had to purely rank the playoff teams today I'd go with:

1) Washington Capitals - I pegged them winning it all in the predictions thread and I'm not changing my mind. They've been such a good team, that a drop off a bit still means they're kicking rear end. They remind of of the 2010/11 Canucks in terms of just plain being bad rear end the whole season.
2) LA Kings - My other pre-season prediction finalist, they're a playoff crushing machine
3) Pittsburgh Penguins - They got scary good in the second half and are getting Malkin back. Probably will be the bookie's fave, but I'm not on board totally
4) Chicago Blackhawks - 3stanleycups.jpg
5) Anaheim Ducks - Also had a great second half but no stability in net
6) Dallas Stars - No goalie
7) Tampa Bay Lighting - Good second half, no goal scoring for some reason
8) San Jose Sharks - I see another conference finals collapse in their future.
9) St. Louis Blues - No hope of ever making it past the second round
10) NY Rangers - Never count an AV team out, but they're looking tired and beatable these days
11) Nashville Predators - No weaknesses, but no real strengths. Rinne regaining his consistency would push them into contender status though.
12) NY Islanders - Not there yet
13) Florida Panthers - I mean we all want Jags to win, but yeah not happening
14) Minnesota Wild - Bland and haha Dubnyk
15) Philadelphia Flyers - A great story and I could see them upsetting in the first round, but they are still a wobbly tire of a team
16) Boston/Detroit - Whoever makes it loses in 6. Good for them.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 6, 2016

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the cats have a very good road into the ECF so let's hope that all of the penguins drop dead on the spot before that happens so we can see a luongo jagr stanley cup finals

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Florida is a bad team in a bad division that had a whole lot of luck.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

and the 3 teams on their side of the bracket are all also bad lucky teams. go cats

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But all less bad than Florida.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

It won't be pretty for the Panthers if their top line is game-planned against effectively. Who else can score?

Meanwhile most other playoff teams are at least two or three scoring lines deep.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

and the 3 teams on their side of the bracket are all also bad lucky teams. go cats

They're barely better than the version of themselves that won their division in 2011/12. They are going to be a huge letdown and the Islanders are going to stomp all over their soggy, bog water corpse.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Aphrodite posted:

The Panthers are good now because they added a bunch of dudes at the deadline specifically to improve the possession play of their depth.

Since the trade deadline, at 5v5:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

They're barely better than the version of themselves that won their division in 2011/12. They are going to be a huge letdown and the Islanders are going to stomp all over their soggy, bog water corpse.

I wouldn't go that far because the Islanders have huge question marks throughout their lineup too, and their coach is literally Fred Flintstone.

The Panthers' path is really easy compared to the Capitals and Penguins, that being said I'd be shocked if they beat the winner of the Metro bracket.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Aphrodite posted:

But all less bad than Florida.

Florida has edged the Isles in their season series, and was only just edged by the Rags in theirs. I think they've got a good chance in the first round.

They also destroyed Tampa, are even with Detroit, and edged Philly. I think they'll do okay

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Hand Knit posted:

The Panthers are good now because they added a bunch of dudes at the deadline specifically to improve the possession play of their depth.

one of these things is quite noticeably not like the others

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
here are the strongest playoff teams, in my personal ranking:

1) new york rangers - i like them the most
2) new york islanders - i like them the second most
3-15) who cares
16) pittsburgh penguins - i really hate them!!!!!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

ThinkTank posted:

Isles are looking pretty thin right now. If they end up winning A series, I will be extremely pleased. I don't see the Isles going far this year, but playoff experience for young guys is a good thing for next year.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm more optimistic about the Blues chances this year than I think I've been since the 2000 season. weeeeeee

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

a false posted:

Good job to Detroit for posting nearly the same goal differential as the Leafs.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I posted this question a while ago but I want to double check.

I'm going to Europe (Amsterdam, Prague, and Budapest) during part of the first and second round of the playoffs and I want to be able to watch the games in the middle of the night there if I choose to.

What's the best way of doing this? Will NHL.tv show the games since I am out of the US/Canada? Officially they list broadcast partners that show the games in the countries I am visiting but I've heard the games aren't actually blacked out in practice. Anyone know if this is true?

Is there any better option? I know NHL.tv sucks but it seems like the best option.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I think the first round in the east is going to look like:

Was over Phi/Bos/Det (whichever)

Cats over Isles, less confident about the cats over the Rags though so I hope the rags match up against the pens

Pens over Rags/Isles

Bos/Det over Tampa with their injuries

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

and to add more after-deadline stats,

the panthers have made some pretty significant changes to their roster that have led to major on-ice improvements and they do in fact Rule and most of these other suck rear end teams Drool. the only east team outplaying them are the Pens who are ridiculous right now. losing Trocheck late really sucked but the team actually has a reasonable amount of depth to deal with that loss right now. as long as Purcell and Hudler can keep Tiny Rocco afloat on the third line until he comes back, they'll be fine

e: wait nvm their PDO is 102.2, they're lucky and lovely, i retract it all.

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 6, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

Yeah, 'a little bit better than Boston and Toronto' is about where I'd place them.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

a false posted:

Yeah, what the gently caress is up with Winnipeg?

Im trying to think of the funniest way for the East to play out and it mostly involves Pittsburgh curb stomping teams en route to the ECF to face a tired, beat up Florida only to be swept and the ensuing PAS meltdown.

Either that or Philly making it to the SCF only to get blown up by <insert west team here, yes even Minnesota>

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

If I had to purely rank the playoff teams today I'd go with:

16) Boston/Detroit - Whoever makes it loses in 6. Good for them.

I disagree with this because while both Detroit and Boston are Not Very Good Right Now, the playoff spot they're battling for is most likely 3rd in the Atlantic, not a wild card.Tampa Bay is good, but with all their injuries they're a very beatable team right now. Panthers and Islanders are probably going to be the other two teams in that section of the bracket, and they are also not particularly scary. Philly, with the way they're playing now, could probably clean up on this side of the bracket if they get the wild card 1 spot. It's not that implausible for Boston or Detroit to go all the way to the ECF, because of how trash the Atlantic is.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 6, 2016

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The Senators have parted ways with Capital Tickets, the team-owned ticket reseller that ably handled ticket sales not only at the venue but also some other places around town, like the Centrepointe Theatre, because all the cool kids are with ticketmaster and this realignment will facilitate blah blah glorp lick slobber gulp

:mad: So much for having a reasonable way to buy tickets without stupidly high fees.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I disagree with this because while both Detroit and Boston are Not Very Good Right Now, the playoff spot they're battling for is most likely 3rd in the Atlantic, not a wild card.Tampa Bay is good, but with all their injuries they're a very beatable team right now. Panthers and Islanders are probably going to be the other two teams in that section of the bracket, and they are also not particularly scary. It's not that implausible for Boston or Detroit to go all the way to the ECF, because of how trash the Atlantic is.

it's actually very implausible because they are both trash teams that will get beaten handily in a 7 game series by the syracuse crunch let alone the tampa bay lightning

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

I posted this question a while ago but I want to double check.

I'm going to Europe (Amsterdam, Prague, and Budapest) during part of the first and second round of the playoffs and I want to be able to watch the games in the middle of the night there if I choose to.

What's the best way of doing this? Will NHL.tv show the games since I am out of the US/Canada? Officially they list broadcast partners that show the games in the countries I am visiting but I've heard the games aren't actually blacked out in practice. Anyone know if this is true?

Is there any better option? I know NHL.tv sucks but it seems like the best option.

I go to the NHL streams subreddit and look for someone streaming over youtube.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
please everyone do not forget that marc-andre fleury in the playoffs

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

a false posted:

he's concussed and matt murray is starting, the east is hosed

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Dandy Kaiser posted:

it's actually very implausible because they are both trash teams that will get beaten handily in a 7 game series by the syracuse crunch let alone the tampa bay lightning

well, maybe for Detroit, but for whatever reason Boston almost always beats the Lightning. It's one of those weird situations where one team seems to have the other's number. There was a streak where the Bruins literally did not lose to Tampa for three years, and this isn't when Tampa was bad, this was between like 2012-2015. I'd feel pretty confident about a Boston-Tampa match up as a B's fan, especially with all of Tampa's injuries.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

a false posted:

MAF has a 0.934 SV% in his last 18 playoff games. Even if we go back to 2013 it's still a 0.921. Also it might be moot because depending on the hotness of MAF's brain, we could see playoffs Murray. Blossoming-but-still-unknown future star goalie getting his first shot to make a name for himself in the biggest way possible??? That's a narrative just BEGGING for some classic playoff heroics

Do we know when Halak and Hamonic come back? I would love to play the Isles in the 1st round if those two are out of the picture. But I won't be too upset if we draw the rangers. Feels like the got over a mental hump by lighting them up pretty consistently this year. That said, I'll never count out playoffs Hank, so I'd prefer to see the Isles...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

a false posted:

Took Stepan a long time to really get back going after the broken ribs. Brassard is always a bit streaky, he'll pop back up soon.

Nash has made some good moves and stuff charging to the net but he's still unlucky and I wouldn't rely on him to do much.

Yeah if everyone magically played well at the same time they'd be a real tough team to beat but that hasn't happened at all this season.

Mind_Taker posted:

How do you rate the east now given all of these injuries? Is it time to make the Penguins favorites? Because I think they are the best team.

1. Penguins - destroying teams and while maybe their shooting percentage is a tad high, they have been the best possession team in the NHL since Johnston was canned.
2. Capitals - maybe easing up a bit. Possession numbers are pretty good but not nearly as good as the Penguins. Shooting % has been in the toilet recently.
3. Panthers - they have an easy path to the ECF, probably starting with the Islanders or Rangers.
4. Lightning - everyone is injured, otherwise they would be favorites in the Atlantic.
5. Flyers - playing pretty well and relatively healthy. Still don't think they will beat the Capitals (their likely opponent), but as you know every Caps series is close so Philly could easily win
6. Rangers - injured and old D, Lundqvist could still steal a series or two if they get the WC1.
7. Islanders - ehh, they don't really impress me.
8. Bruins/Red Wings - neither team really wants to make the playoffs.

God I hope the Penguins are upset in the first round, they scare the poo poo out of me.

I think the Pens and Caps are clearly the top teams in the east at this moment and then I'd say everyone else other than the Bruins/Red Wings are probably more or less in the same boat.

Not really sold on the Panthers but as discussed their deadline moves may have them doing better than I thought. Lightning could win a round but not likely to do more than that. Flyers are a bit of a wild card since they've been playing so well but matching up against the Caps could see them out early, not sure they have the overall depth to make a long run even if they did get out of the first.

Islanders...eh, something weird about them this year, don't really have the same fire they had in previous years and feel like they're good but not good enough.

Rangers, unless Staal suddenly returns to pre-injury version and Girardi returns to how he played under Tom Renney, are probably not likely to win more than a round if that. Interested to see if Brady Skjei gets much playing time in the playoffs with McDonagh injured, and what's going on with Girardi. The defense is just too iffy this year, but to some extent you never know what they'll pull out of their hats. Still entirely possible for them to drop below the Islanders and play Florida in the 1st round which is a matchup I'm OK with (better than the Pens right now).

e: It doesn't actually make any logical sense but the Caps have had like no major injuries this year which makes me think/hope/wonder if they're going to have the unlucky bug strike and end up with some significant injuries in the playoffs and end up flaming out.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aye Doc posted:

he's concussed and matt murray is starting, the east is hosed

unless the Pens rush the Mafster back and then we get concussed playoff Maf. He's been fine the past two playoffs anyways so I'm not too worried about that.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The Penguins D still seems kinda lame outside of Letang but their offense has made up for it

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

MAF has a 0.934 SV% in his last 18 playoff games. Even if we go back to 2013 it's still a 0.921. Also it might be moot because depending on the hotness of MAF's brain, we could see playoffs Murray. Blossoming-but-still-unknown future star goalie getting his first shot to make a name for himself in the biggest way possible??? That's a narrative just BEGGING for some classic playoff heroics

Do we know when Halak and Hamonic come back? I would love to play the Isles in the 1st round if those two are out of the picture. But I won't be too upset if we draw the rangers. Feels like the got over a mental hump by lighting them up pretty consistently this year. That said, I'll never count out playoffs Hank, so I'd prefer to see the Isles...

Halak is out for probably 3 more weeks and everyone is super vague talking about Hamonic but it sounds like he could be back for game 1

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

I have to say this is all lining up nicely for another kings stanley cup win and an insanely boring finals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

onemillionzombies posted:

I have to say this is all lining up nicely for another kings stanley cup win and an insanely boring finals.

This is the most likely scenario, the NHL is poo poo

• Locked thread