Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

i am the bird posted:

Bold prediction: the Red Wings will play a hockey game tonight and will win said hockey game by a score of at least one more goal than the opposing team of orange bullies.

God willing, I hope they do it in regulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

We will have to agree to disagree, then, opposing sports team fan who may be an otherwise okay human creature.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

GuavaMoment posted:

I agree, just check the scores when you wake up. That in itself can be an experience. I was on a boat in the Baltic for a day and didn't know who won game 7 of the 2013 Boston/Toronto series. When I got to Helsinki I did have to check outside every coffee shop I saw to see if it had public wifi. Found one and saw Boston won 5-4, no surprise there. Then I saw it was in OT. "Good on Toronto for making it close" I said. Later that day I went back to that coffee shop for lunch ( figured I owed them one), then I thought might as well pull up the boxscore and :stare:

I was working the day this happened and remember looking and seeing Toronto up 4-1. When I checked the final score a couple hours later I couldn't stop laughing, I'm very sad I missed that game :(

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
that game was awesome and I still enjoy watching the videos of Toronto fans' reactions to it

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
didnt that gdt get goldmined

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I was in a real lovely bar as overflow because every other place around was rammed. A bunch of dorks came in for the third period and ordered a round of victory shots after the 4-1 goal which was mildly aggravating because I knew what was coming.

Boston was a cup finalist that year, and if the Leafs had advanced Nonis and Carlyle might still be here, so I've made peace with the result.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I dunno why, but i don't want to see the bruins not in the playoffs this year.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
detroit keeping the streak with increasingly bad first round exits would be amusing. and the flyers and isles are cooler than boston so :shrug:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

that game was awesome and I still enjoy watching the videos of Toronto fans' reactions to it

same and i hate the bruins

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I literally turned that game on with 11 minutes to go and went "eh might as well watch the Bruins get eliminated" and holy hell that ending was even better.

And I say that as someone who hates the Bruins more than almost any other hockey team.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Flyers are a bunch of rear end grabbing headshotters.

The Bruins have not grabbed even one rear end and usually only target the knees.

The Islanders are from Long Island.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

The Flyers are a bunch of rear end grabbing headshotters.

The Bruins have not grabbed even one rear end and usually only target the knees.

The Islanders are from Long Island.

Yeah, but the Bruins are from Boston.

Agreed on the first point though.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Bobo has an interesting article today where he polls 21 people (head coaches, general managers and hall of famers) on a couple of the individual awards. He pointed out that the Norris trophy has never gone to a guy that missed the playoffs, which I didn't know.

Doughty wins in a landslide with 18 votes. Karlsson received two votes, Letang one, no votes for Brent Burns. This is really going to happen, isn't it?

This is infuriating:

quote:

One GM who voted for Doughty did acknowledge he's a little bit conflicted by his own support. 

“Like a lot of people, I believe [Doughty] is due to win his first Norris Trophy, and I do believe that," he said. "But I am wondering about the timing now. Look at Karlsson's season; look at the numbers he's putting up. It's incredible, really. I do sense there's this sentiment to make sure [Doughty] finally gets recognition, but I am kind of wondering if, given what Karlsson has done, this may be exactly the wrong time to give it."

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Minnesota is poo poo but I weirdly believe that they could surprise the 1st round team they play and actually win in 6 or 7.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Go Hawks and Sharks in the West. Go Cats/meteor in the East

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

gently caress the Hawks, Kings and Bruins and that's pretty much it for me.

Go Cats and Caps

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Wait I changed my mind go Caps as well in the east

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

fits posted:

didnt that gdt get goldmined

I thought so but I'm having an impossible time finding it. I remember reading it over a while back and it still held up to it's greatness.

edit: nevermind here it is you'll need archives.

.Spec fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 6, 2016

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Flyers are cool, and good

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Burns is the best defenceman in the league and hockey managers are dumb

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I don't think I ended up goldmining it because I think there wasn't all that much in the thread itself.

Also I was watching online and chatting with a friend and when Kadri scored I said "holy poo poo, they're actually going to do it" so I claim at least partial responsibility for the loss.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Hand Knit posted:

I don't think I ended up goldmining it because I think there wasn't all that much in the thread itself.

This is true with the one exception being Zyla's forced positivity posting in light of the comeback.

I think you can distill the entire thread to those 3 pages.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Archives work though: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549229

It starts on page 38.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549229&pagenumber=37&perpage=40#post415426734

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think my favorite part though are the 2 or 3 people trying to talk about the Rangers/Caps game during it.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

sedative posted:

Bobo has an interesting article today where he polls 21 people (head coaches, general managers and hall of famers) on a couple of the individual awards. He pointed out that the Norris trophy has never gone to a guy that missed the playoffs, which I didn't know.

Doughty wins in a landslide with 18 votes. Karlsson received two votes, Letang one, no votes for Brent Burns. This is really going to happen, isn't it?

This is infuriating:
It's only been the last 2 years where non-playoff guys got any inroads at all. Before Doughty last year and Weber the year before you had to go back to the 60's to find a Norris nominee on a non-playoff team. Horton in 67/68 and Orr in 66/67 were nominated, and both not really coming anywhere close to winning.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/717850126639874050

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well that settles who the worst is.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Well that settles who the worst is.

lol if you didn't already know this

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Hand Knit posted:

Also I was watching online and chatting with a friend and when Kadri scored I said "holy poo poo, they're actually going to do it" so I claim at least partial responsibility for the loss.

I was sitting next to my GF, and with around 10 minutes left to go, I think I said, "oh, I think this is really going to happen."

So yeah, I am also partially responsible for the loss. It's my fault for believing in something other than the sweet embrace of death.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

whatis posted:

lol if you didn't already know this

I always thought the Detroit, St. Louis, LA, or Corey Perry were the worst.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

I was sitting next to my GF, and with around 10 minutes left to go, I think I said, "oh, I think this is really going to happen."

Hand Knit posted:

Basically, the one time the Leafs gave Leafs fans hope was the one time that hope destroyed the Leafs chances. Kinda like a feedback loop.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I won the 50/50 raffle at that game so it was pretty rad

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.

Mind_Taker posted:

You're a bad fan.

I'm not going to let hockey ruin my vacation, I just want the option if I feel up to it

The answer to your question is no, blackouts shouldn't impact you.

I usually just watch the condensed version in the morning when I'm travelling, but to each their own. If you want to wake up in the middle of the night to watch the game don't let anyone dissuade you.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The Cauldron had a fun article about the greatest moot points in sports history. Basically huge plays, baskets, etc that were amazing at the time but ultimately overshadowed later in the game, sometimes immediately afterwards because that team ultimately lost. No hockey made the list...but anyone got any good ones?

https://thecauldron.si.com/moot-points-d28489d60eb8#.vvjzisdgi

The First one that came to my mind was definitely the Zach Parise tying goal in the 2010 Winter Olympics Gold Medal game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz9tH0z7U3k

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I lost my poo poo at that Parise goal though, that was a really great game

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jordan Eberle against the US in the wjc gold medal game. 2 goals in less than 3 minutes to tie the game and force OT. Didn't matter because lol Canadian goaltending.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Leafs-Habs April 7, 2007. Game 82. Entering the game, Montreal was 8th and Toronto was 9th. The game was emblematic of that era, with a largely very good Leafs team trying to outrace Andrew Raycroft's terrible goaltending. The Leafs pulled ahead 6-5 early in the 3rd and held on for dear life and the win.

Then the next day the Devils half-assed the shootout and NYI stole 8th behind Wade loving Dubeliewicz.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
remember when JFJ traded Tuukka Rask for Andrew Raycroft that season? because that was really cool of him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

remember when JFJ traded Tuukka Rask for Andrew Raycroft that season? because that was really cool of him

Why wait and see what you have with two goaltenders, when you just know Justin Pogge is the future, and you can trade for a goalie who put up one of the worst seasons in recent memory?

• Locked thread