Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm going to be watching
Bakemonogatari
Patlabor
Both!
Neither
View Results

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also, it wasn't clear from watching - Does Araragi know enough Engrish to know what "I love you" as an english loan-phrase means? Or will that be revealed in time?

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I will say, given what we learned about her in Episode 2, it says a lot about how hard Hitagi's fallen for Araragi that she was willing to make herself so vulnerable in front of him. Does a lot to make her likable despite how abrasive and neurotic she can be at other points.

Also, it wasn't clear from watching - Does Araragi know enough Engrish to know what "I love you" as an english loan-phrase means? Or will that be revealed in time?

I think basically everyone in Japan knows that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yes he knows? Yes it'll be revealed? Or Yes I'm giving you a Computer Scientist's answer?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Droyer posted:

yeah

think about how many random languages you know i love you in, then realize basic english is taught in Japanese schools

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Droyer posted:

I figured, just askin'. I know Japanese isn't a world language like English is, but it's not like I knew what 'Aishiteru' or 'Daisuki' meant when I was in high school.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I figured, just askin'. I know Japanese isn't a world language like English is, but it's not like I knew what 'Aishiteru' or 'Daisuki' meant when I was in high school.

hmm...your power level was low

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Just guessing but I bet the word love is one of the more common English words for just being written on random poo poo in Japan.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm not a spoilerphobe, and even have a habit of reading up on stuff I haven't seen/read yet, but it's cool to still be surprised by something I thought I was fairly well spoiled on. Had no idea that Mayoi was a ghost.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Spiritus Nox posted:

Wait.

Hanekawa saw her. She spoke directly to her, didn't she?

I'm glad a bunch of you guys caught onto this the first time. It's an example of proper foreshadowing, and not the only example to look out for.

I assume that it would have been a lot less noticeable while watching the show as it aired, since you would have had a week gap between episodes.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Motto posted:

I'm not a spoilerphobe, and even have a habit of reading up on stuff I haven't seen/read yet, but it's cool to still be surprised by something I thought I was fairly well spoiled on. Had no idea that Mayoi was a ghost.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Haha I saw that av a lot and never made the connection with Mayoi...

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Also appropriate considering Shark's current state of affairs.

Not to get off topic, I remember that the weight problem with Senjougahara was also a homophobe pun: "weight" and "to think" can be read the same, and we have already covered how she regained her memories, her past, her weight.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

Haha I saw that av a lot and never made the connection with Mayoi...

Ahahaha

AAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

AHAHAHAHA-*dies, becomes ghost*

oohoohoohoo

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Julias posted:

I remember that the weight problem with Senjougahara was also a homophobe pun: "weight" and "to think" can be read the same, and we have already covered how she regained her memories, her past, her weight.

I think you mean "homophone" but yeah, her missing weight represented her missing emotions/memories regarding her mother, the attempted rape, and her family getting all messed up. To quote the bakemono wiki,

quote:

Take note that the Japanese word omoi can both mean "weight" (重い) and "feelings" (思い).

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kylra posted:

It might sound extra odd to me because there's no way I'd talk to even the nicest seeming guy like that, alone, face to face in real life, and without probing a bunch of other things first to make sure he wouldn't do things I don't want.

The way they interact just makes me a little uncomfortable because it's a bit of a danger situation for me in real life. Nothing I can't get past, but it lingers in the back of my thoughts the whole time, and I'm not gonna pretend that doesn't exist.

It's not being played for laughs or even for the undoubtedly sexy, so I don't really have a major artistic issue with it though. Their whole body language for those moments is kind of unnerving and unnatural, which helps play up the seriousness.

Yeah. I like that too, and am enjoying that quite a bit so far.

Wait. If I have no problem with that scene and think that her spite is awesome to behold, must there be something wrong with me - from your perspective?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Grouchio posted:

Wait. If I have no problem with that scene and think that her spite is awesome to behold, must there be something wrong with me - from your perspective?
I don't know about something wrong with you per se. But it does probably mean you're a fairly typical man that doesn't have to deal with that kind of stuff. It just put me quite on edge and felt very tense to me not knowing what Araragi was going to do or if he was going to snap and do something bad the whole time. She has some school supplies. He has vampire rapid healing and is pretty horny and seemingly quite fallible control over it.

I dunno if it's really spiteful when she comes out saying "I LOVE YOU" though.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Keep in mind too that I am coming into this with basically no idea what kind of protagonist Araragi is supposed to be. The sum total of my -monogatari knowledge prior to this week was basically having seen the Nise toothbrush scene and some people talking about how Araragi is a pervert.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Oh, and that there's a girl with a giant backpack that everyone likes for some reason.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Looks like everyone was right for a change. Good job, everyone!

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Jostiband posted:

Looks like everyone was right for a change. Good job, everyone!
I dunno. Seems like it was a little too easy...

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Uh oh
Did I miss any hidden fangs, dark auras, or prophecies of certain doom? :ohdear:

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Jostiband posted:

Uh oh
Did I miss any hidden fangs, dark auras, or prophecies of certain doom? :ohdear:
People being in some sort of agreement on the internet? Seems against the natural order.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Well, poo poo, you're right.
Bad end confirmed. :(

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm only on episode 4, but were there supposed to be EDs for the past few episodes? I think I got screwed by ordered chapters again...

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 7, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

I'm only on episode 4, but were there supposed to be EDs for the past few episodes? I think I got screwed by ordered chapters again...

Every episode has an ed. Episode 5 is important.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Namtab posted:

Every episode has an ed. Episode 5 is important.

gently caress! Well good thing I'm not caught up yet then.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

I really like how every arc has its own OP.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

I really like how every arc has its own OP.

It's a really cool detail (and caught me hilariously off-guard the first time I saw episode 3 and here was what-the-hell-is-this-crazy-OP instead of Staple Stable). And all the Monogatari Series' OPs are drat good songs, too.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

gently caress! Well good thing I'm not caught up yet then.

The ED for bakemonogatari is really good, in multiple ways. Everyone should see it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If I remember right the ED for Bakemono got a huge overhaul on the Blu-rays as well to make it even better.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

im hype for patlabor

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Yeah, should be a lot of fun.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I'm hype for anime!

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

All I know about Patlabor is that it involves robots and that Droyer likes it.

I am coming into these so blind.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Kylra posted:

All I know about Patlabor is that it involves robots and that Droyer likes it.

I am coming into these so blind.

:eng101: It is also an anime and has a cool OP

Dunno if I should spoilertag those :ohdear:

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Jostiband posted:

It's ruined and I don't want to watch it now.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I'm glad all the dates are ones where I don't have work. Excited for tomorrow, I haven't seen a robot show in ages.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Wait, gently caress! Isn't it tonight?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm caught up! I probably would've seen the ED on episode 5 with my old files anyway, since it plays over the ep itself, haha.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh hey, I saw littleorv's av in the preview.

Blhue posted:

Ah yes the honoka arc

I can't believe orv became famous after dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jostiband posted:

I posted the OP on page 2 so I think we're good.

https://a.pomf.cat/mybuix.webm

• Locked thread