Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'But I failed.... Miserably'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
You somehow still have to check Weskers desk 50 times for a lovely photoshop of Rebecca in RE2 VR. Just slamming one drawer open and closed forever.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Siege really makes me appreciate how hard it is for the average zombie / J'avo in the RE6 World. The average player-controlled monster takes like 5 seconds to attack (enough for your target to hold committee meetings, discuss the situation, and consider all possible alternatives to maximize evasion opportunities), is made of tissue paper, and can be countered.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I hope RE2make does the MGSV thing and have a mode with PSX models for all of the character.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
After the costumes in RE6, it seems like a safe bet. Personally I hope they retain the fact that nobody ever listens to Leon. I hope they don't make him super-badass right off the bat.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Anonymous Robot posted:

I love RE6, and can forgive its sins. RE2 brought to RE6 spec/engine would be a dream come true for me.

Yeah, this. I can't for the life of me understand why people would want exact remakes of the first games when the gameplay is pure trash. Bring the cool areas, monsters and all around insanity to something that's fun to play instead.

fe: also co-op. Because that's what made 5-6 the best games and people will cry endlessly about it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I dunno if RE2 needs co-op, but it 100% percent needs to ability to slide kick zombies and suplex lickers right onto their dumb idiot heads. RE6 owns.

Plus, that way when they finally get around to remaking RE3 in 5+ years, I'll finally have a chance at a game where I can Stone Cold Stunner the Nemesis.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

As long as they don't go with the garbage retconned version of RE2's story from Darkside Chronicles, i'll be happy.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Licker tries to tongue whip you.

*Counter*

Sidestep, grab the tongue, and cut it off. Leon cranes his head and scoffs "Amateurs."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What happened in the Darkside Chronicles version of RE2? I dunno if I ever played that.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
QTE hallway full of lickers that Leon needs to backflip through.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

What happened in the Darkside Chronicles version of RE2? I dunno if I ever played that.

It's largely the same except Leon and Claire never split up as an excuse for the co-op mechanics and Claire gets all catty with Ada. It's Code Veronica which has the most significant overhaul in Darkside Chronicles, mostly by skipping most of Chris's story, making Steve significantly less obnoxious and making Alfred more psychopathic as he makes Claire and Steve run around a lethal obstacle course he built and forces his workers through because he thought it'd be fun.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also Anette Birkin is significantly less nutso than the original.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Umbrella chronicles really cut up RE3 too.

If the RE2 remake is gonna be third person action I would love it to have coop. If it's gonna be REmake style then I want it to have the same sort of cool split between Leon and Claire's story the original did.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I think there's something to say for combining Leon and Claire's sides into one co-op campaign and then adding sliding kicks, shooting from their backs, suplexing and head stabbing. I'm playing through RE6 again with a friend right now and the gameplay is just so good. Once you get the hang of its intricacies you can do some wild poo poo. It's a shame a lot of areas don't let you play that way. Mine carts, i'm talking to you :argh:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
There's only two things I don't want in a new Resident Evil 2.

1. Leon can't be some super crazy bad rear end yet. He turns into super crazy baddass Leon after he survives Racoon City and becomes best friends with the President.
2. Leave the co-op out. The coolest part of RE2 was that you could play disc 1 or 2 and they'd be fine on their own, but to get the full story you'd have to play through twice. Then the choices you made in the 1st playthrough affected the 2nd.

I think adding co-op in 5 completely ruined the survival horror aspect of Resident Evil. There's just no sense of tension or anything if your buddy always has your back. Not to say that it's not fun, but if I wanted to play Resident Evil 5 or 6, I'd play them. Not Resident Evil 2. I guess I'd be OK with an optional online mode where it was co-op.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I think RE4 removed/ruined the survival horror aspect well before RE5 did.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I feel like there would probably be kind of a backlash if they did anything but a straight REmake type of deal

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mogomra posted:

There's only two things I don't want in a new Resident Evil 2.

1. Leon can't be some super crazy bad rear end yet. He turns into super crazy baddass Leon after he survives Racoon City and becomes best friends with the President.
2. Leave the co-op out. The coolest part of RE2 was that you could play disc 1 or 2 and they'd be fine on their own, but to get the full story you'd have to play through twice. Then the choices you made in the 1st playthrough affected the 2nd.

I think adding co-op in 5 completely ruined the survival horror aspect of Resident Evil. There's just no sense of tension or anything if your buddy always has your back. Not to say that it's not fun, but if I wanted to play Resident Evil 5 or 6, I'd play them. Not Resident Evil 2. I guess I'd be OK with an optional online mode where it was co-op.

I'd imagine the co-op in the RE2 remake would be similar to Revelations 2. Instead of Leon and Claire co-op, you have Leon and Ada co-op and then Claire and Sherry co-op.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I feel like there would probably be kind of a backlash if they did anything but a straight REmake type of deal

Probably? There will definitely be a huge backlash if it isn't like REmake.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Golden Goat posted:

Probably? There will definitely be a huge backlash if it isn't like REmake.

There will be backlash no matter what they do.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
First I'd like to have some tangible proof the game is going to exist other than a lot of "Yeah it's going to happen" without so much as a leaked screenshot.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Lunethex posted:

First I'd like to have some tangible proof the game is going to exist other than a lot of "Yeah it's going to happen" without so much as a leaked screenshot.

Haha, please don't jinx it.

Golden Goat posted:

Yeah, you're probably right. I remember playing through RE4 the first time, and not realizing this. I was trying to play the first encounter at the village smart, and it just didn't work that well.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'd imagine the co-op in the RE2 remake would be similar to Revelations 2. Instead of Leon and Claire co-op, you have Leon and Ada co-op and then Claire and Sherry co-op.

As long as they actually make it online this time. Capcom, please, I don't mind playing as someone who only has a crowbar, even online.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I have to admit I'm completely uninterested by the idea of co-op at all in Resident Evil, I just want to jump in a game and play without having to worry about potentially babysitting lovely AI or finding someone who isn't garbage to play with online.

I'm probably the only one who feels that way, but I really haven't enjoyed the trend in recent games towards co-op at all (Outbreak excluded).

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Far as I'm concerned Resident Evil is best in the industry at co-op and as someone who has a few friends that are down to play on the regular I cherish that experience. I'm not a person who feels any sense of fright from games, so the horror angle means very little to me as anything but a cool aesthetic.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

They should just remove the AI player completely if you're doing singleplayer.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I thought the reason most people were excited for the RE2 remake was because they wanted it to be like REmake, not the post-4 titles.

If there's one game in the old series that'd fit fine with the modern RE gameplay it would be 3. That one was pretty combat heavy compared to the earlier titles and it'd benefit a lot from what RE4 brought to the franchise.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Golden Goat posted:

They should just remove the AI player completely if you're doing singleplayer.

This would be ideal but then you'd have to rebalance the game for single player and it's Capcom and :effort:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

This would be ideal but then you'd have to rebalance the game for single player and it's Capcom and :effort:

Don't? Just center it around single player in the first place.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Part of why the co-op is fun is that the game is designed around it. If you don't do that it'll be tedious at best. You can see this with the shoehorned-in co-op in Ada's missions in RE6.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Golden Goat posted:

Honestly it kind of started with RE3 being almost more of an action game than survival horror.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Awesome Welles posted:

I have to admit I'm completely uninterested by the idea of co-op at all in Resident Evil, I just want to jump in a game and play without having to worry about potentially babysitting lovely AI or finding someone who isn't garbage to play with online.

I'm probably the only one who feels that way, but I really haven't enjoyed the trend in recent games towards co-op at all (Outbreak excluded).

I too have no friends

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Golden Goat posted:

Then you'd have to rebalance it for co-op....

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Then you'd have to rebalance it for co-op....

Again, dont. Just have it add in player 2 and everything else acts the same as it would with single player.

ImpAtom posted:

Part of why the co-op is fun is that the game is designed around it. If you don't do that it'll be tedious at best. You can see this with the shoehorned-in co-op in Ada's missions in RE6.

It's more directed at removing the AI for single player. I'm not saying this is a perfect solution for it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Golden Goat posted:

Again, dont. Just have it add in player 2 and everything else acts the same as it would with single player.

It's more directed at removing the AI for single player. I'm not saying this is a perfect solution for it.

I can hear the 'Capcom phones in worthless co-op mode' reviews right now.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I can hear the 'Capcom phones in worthless co-op mode' reviews right now.

Stash them along side the "Capcom's shat all over my childhood love for RE2" complaints.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Jia posted:

I too have no friends

There are plenty of games I enjoy playing in co-op modes and have no issues finding people to play with.

I just have no desire to do so in a Resident Evil game and none of the main games past 4 have been particularly interesting to me.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Raxivace posted:

Honestly it kind of started with RE3 being almost more of an action game than survival horror.

And continued with those hilariously awful slow-motion Steve cutscenes and action heavy section(s? It's been a while) in Code Veronica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

GUI posted:

And continued with those hilariously awful slow-motion Steve cutscenes and action heavy section(s? It's been a while) in Code Veronica.

Code Veronica encouraged you to conserve ammo again compared to RE3, at least for the first half of the game. It did have sections where it encouraged you to go all out with action though like the short segment where you play as Steve.