Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Best Giraffe posted:

Just throwing this out there, if anyone has anything bad to say about The Princess Bride you can say it to my face and I will smash yours in a fit of violent rage. Thank you and good night.

prepare... to die :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Girls of a certain age love this film along with Labyrinth, so if you wanna get with them, get with these.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
gently caress labyrinth that movie sucks rear end eat poo poo eat rear end with jelly gently caress labyrinth Jennifer Conley is an ugly bitch

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

gently caress labyrinth that movie sucks rear end eat poo poo eat rear end with jelly gently caress labyrinth Jennifer Conley is an ugly bitch

tell us how you really feel tho

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Labyrinth is crap though he's not wrong

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The Man Who fell to Earth is good. Hairless Bowie is weird though.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

thathonkey posted:

Labyrinth is crap though he's not wrong

Ya true

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
4 greatest movies in no order

The Princess Bride
Tremors
Big Trouble in Little China
Clue

Nothing ironic those are the four greatest movies in no order.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Best Giraffe posted:

Just throwing this out there, if anyone has anything bad to say about The Princess Bride you can say it to my face and I will smash yours in a fit of violent rage. Thank you and good night.

I would but there is nothing wrong with the movie. Except maybe Fred Savage, but I don't count his scenes as part of the movie.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Soul Reaver posted:

This lady needs to do some weights or something, goddamn.

Also, Princess Bride is a good kids film but in my curmudgeonly old age it's too 'light' for me.

It's the kind of film that were symptomatic of the downfall of the fantasy genre in Hollywood in the late 80s. Before The Princess Bride, we had a number of 'serious' fantasy films that were created with an actual budget and considerable craft (Conan the Barbarian, The Never Ending Story, The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth, to name a few better-known ones).

Princess Bride however was part of the new wave "nudge-nudge, wink-wink", "we shouldn't take this too seriously as it's a fantasy film" type films, which is what basically anything but the most z-grade fantasy film became for over a decade afterwards. It's only as recently as Lord of the Rings that there's been a resurgence in big-budget fantasy films coming from Hollywood.

It's a good-natured film and I can tell the cast had a great time making it, but personally the story didn't really capture my imagination or move me in the way some of the other films above did.

Princess bride is first and foremost a comedy. It's like saying Robin Hood Men In Tights is responsible for the downfall of fantasy movies in Hollywood. Princess bride was never meant to be taken seriously. The book is even more clear about that. The book is straight up comedy.

Also just realizing how Cary Elwes' career was essentially all period pieces up until Saw.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

AA is for Quitters posted:

Westley got old and fat and wound up in a no budget horror movie chopping off his foot tho.

Robin got old too but not fat and now she's just a super hot milf. See: The Congress. "I look like a cross between Cinderella on heroin and an egyptian queen on a bad hair day." Yes please.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
The only thing in the movie I don't care for is the synthesized score. The synth horns just sound really bad. It kind of ruins an exciting scene when it sounds like someone is playing a cheap Casio keyboard in the background.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Supreme Allah posted:

The Princess Bride
Tremors
Clue

You are at least half correct. And really super correct when it comes to big trouble in little china.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Supreme Allah posted:

The Princess Bride
Tremors
Clue

poo poo
piss
rear end poo poo
butt piss

actual best movies:

armageddon
corki romano
police 2
rambo

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

poo poo
piss
rear end poo poo
butt piss

actual best movies:

armageddon
corki romano
police 2
rambo

I'm not seeing big trouble in little china there, hoss. Disqualified.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
I liked the book too. It's got this gimmick where the author keeps butting in to talk about how the Full Version (the one by S. Morgenstern) was different. There's no full version, though. It's just a shtick he's doing. It sounds dumb but it's pretty funny.

The movie is good and the book is good.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Unguided posted:

I would but there is nothing wrong with the movie. Except maybe Fred Savage, but I don't count his scenes as part of the movie.

Fred Savage sadly did not inherit his charisma from his father Randy

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I like to troll people by saying "Unbelievable!" and pretend I'm quoting Wallace Shawn.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Ive only seen the remake with fran fine

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

AA is for Quitters posted:

Princess bride is first and foremost a comedy. It's like saying Robin Hood Men In Tights is responsible for the downfall of fantasy movies in Hollywood. Princess bride was never meant to be taken seriously. The book is even more clear about that. The book is straight up comedy.

Also just realizing how Cary Elwes' career was essentially all period pieces up until Saw.

I'm not trying to 'blame' the film for causing the downfall of fantasy films - just that it was symptomatic of this. The apparent need for Hollywood to inject comedy and modern anachronisms into every fantasy film for over a decade is precisely what I'm getting at.

Princess Bride was only the start of that particular downhill slide though, and it's still a feel-good film and competently made. For those interested in where the slide eventually ended up, see the "Dungeons and Dragons" movie.
Do not see the "Dungeons and Dragons" movie

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 11, 2016

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
its alright i guess

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
best part is when cary throws the rat guy off him you can see the actor quickly pull the rat head that had slipped up back down before they keep fighting

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The best part is the whole movie

naem
May 29, 2011

Volume posted:

The best part is the whole movie

sketch_nimrod
Apr 1, 2010
great flick!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I'm glad we can all set aside our differences and come to an agreement on this matter

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Supreme Allah posted:

The Princess Bride
Tremors
Clue

You are a prophet for sure. Own all 4. Can watch any one of them any time.
:hfive:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Soul Reaver posted:

This lady needs to do some weights or something, goddamn.

Also, Princess Bride is a good kids film but in my curmudgeonly old age it's too 'light' for me.

It's the kind of film that were symptomatic of the downfall of the fantasy genre in Hollywood in the late 80s. Before The Princess Bride, we had a number of 'serious' fantasy films that were created with an actual budget and considerable craft (Conan the Barbarian, The Never Ending Story, The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth, to name a few better-known ones).

Princess Bride however was part of the new wave "nudge-nudge, wink-wink", "we shouldn't take this too seriously as it's a fantasy film" type films, which is what basically anything but the most z-grade fantasy film became for over a decade afterwards. It's only as recently as Lord of the Rings that there's been a resurgence in big-budget fantasy films coming from Hollywood.

It's a good-natured film and I can tell the cast had a great time making it, but personally the story didn't really capture my imagination or move me in the way some of the other films above did.

Didn't Dragonheart come out post Princess Bride? If I recall, that was a "serious" fantasy film with a big budget for its time. Ladyhawke also came out after Princess Bride and it is a classic.

Also Princess Bride was great, sorry you have some kind of brain disability that prevents you from experiencing joy.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

GI_Clutch posted:

The only thing in the movie I don't care for is the synthesized score. The synth horns just sound really bad. It kind of ruins an exciting scene when it sounds like someone is playing a cheap Casio keyboard in the background.

It was the 80's you'll have to forgive them for that one

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I liked the book too. It's got this gimmick where the author keeps butting in to talk about how the Full Version (the one by S. Morgenstern) was different. There's no full version, though. It's just a shtick he's doing. It sounds dumb but it's pretty funny.

The movie is good and the book is good.

I actually sought out this book as a kid. I wanted to read the bizarre bits that were cut. :(

Also Fezzik is so much better in the book.

E: the music was Mark Knopfler from dire straights.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Applewhite posted:

Didn't Dragonheart come out post Princess Bride? If I recall, that was a "serious" fantasy film with a big budget for its time. Ladyhawke also came out after Princess Bride and it is a classic.

Also Princess Bride was great, sorry you have some kind of brain disability that prevents you from experiencing joy.

Ladyhawke, Princess Bride, Dragonheart (long after)
For the poster disgruntled by the modern music in Princess Bride, you'll need to mute Ladyhawke if you watch it.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

did u guys ever see howard the duck?

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

holy gently caress doc you are treading on some DANGEROUS loving GROUND here!!!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Best Giraffe posted:

holy gently caress doc you are treading on some DANGEROUS loving GROUND here!!!

I'm sorry but I've got some very perverse and Alt theories!!!!!!!!!!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like to point out that the princess bride is not a children's movie. It's a family movie. It can be enjoyed across generations.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Womens aged 22-38 will ALWAYS put out after you watch this movie with them

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
my wife loves this movie and i couldnt give less shits about it.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Booblord Zagats posted:

Womens aged 22-38 will ALWAYS put out after you watch this movie with them

if they dont then theyre not worth it

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JiveHonky posted:

my wife loves this movie and i couldnt give less shits about it.

Pretty sure that's grounds for your wife to file for divorce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Best Giraffe posted:

if they dont then theyre not worth it

If they don't then you're seriously unfuckable, at least in their eyes.

• Locked thread