Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

The most loved people in football:

Bob Murphy
Lenny Hayes
Luke Hodge

One of these things is not like the other

I think there are so many Collingwood fans that you have to Lenny off and add Pendles or Swan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

There is at least one security guard who would not put Swan on that list.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Solemn Sloth posted:

So after Max King has been unable to get on the park for years, now Mitch King has done an ACL.

I think I said at the time we should have avoided drafting more players named M.King
Mitch did one at 16 as well. No good.

Spedman posted:

Morabito is playing his first game back after his 3rd knee reco for Peel on the weekend

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/video/2016-04-12/moras-love-for-footy-nine-news
Played on the weekend

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Well thumbs down to the Freo media person who posted this recently on Facebook.

Either way, Mora played a game and didn't snap in half, I'm happy.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

On the other hand after being 1-2 weeks away for 4 weeks, Bennell is going to miss the next 8-10, so I had to trade my pick 23 in for the might of Shaun Grigg

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
i have a feeling freo will miss the finals and it will be everyones fault but ross lyon's

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

snaeksikn posted:

i have a feeling freo will miss the finals and it will be everyones fault but ross lyon's

When in doubt, blame Victoria.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I found Richie Vandenberg interesting on open mike tonight.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I think it would be interesting to see a poll on who club members think is the most universally popular player at their club

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

realbez posted:

I found Richie Vandenberg interesting on open mike tonight.

Unrelated, but I saw your avatar on a poster on the wall of the protagonist of Limitless the other night.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Chairchucker posted:

Unrelated, but I saw your avatar on a poster on the wall of the protagonist of Limitless the other night.

It's art from the band Baroness.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

snaeksikn posted:

Will it be time for Ross to abandon ship and turn up at Brisbane/Collingwood/Richmond at the end of the year somehow?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

monolithburger posted:

When in doubt, blame Victoria.

We're not loving Eagles supporters

I have a feeling we're gonna have a strong backend of the season and finish 8/9/10th. And we've got Lyon til the end of 2020, for better or worse.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Spedman posted:

And we've got Lyon til the end of 2020, for better or worse.

Since when have contracts ever got in the way of sacking coaches?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Absolutely, but he's going to have to have a couple of bad seasons before the knives come out.

But to his credit he's opening acknowledged where the game plan has fallen down this season, and that its a fault with the coaching more than the rubbish skills of the players.

Ross Lyon posted:

I know we will look at entries, at the end of the day they had 33 from the attacking mid and getting it off us before we could get to the centre. There was a lot that went into the mix; we certainly think we have worked hard over the summer to give them some method to get through there. That involves some abilities to hit some targets, good decision making, go to a contest, switch the ball.

It’s a bit of a common theme. We spoke as a group afterwards and put on to the table that at the end of the day as coaches we take responsibility because somewhere we thought we delivered a program that under pressure our players would be able to execute.

Typically in my tenure at the Dockers we feel we have been able to do that, regardless of what people think.

The facts are indisputable; under pressure our players know what they need to do. At the minute the program hasn’t delivered to make them instinctive to the level they need to. We need to keep working on that. It will be a simple review; we will not go to contests and defence. We are just going to look at how we can get the ball out of the D50 and defensive-mid without turning it over.

That’s where it starts and finishes. That’s all the review will be. In that review, why are those players not hitting targets, going short when they should go long, switching when they should. That’s the issue.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

gay picnic defence posted:

Since when have contracts ever got in the way of sacking coaches?

Isn't there a cap on how much the footy dept can spend these days and if it's over you're basically paying a luxury tax into the equalization fund?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

pkid posted:

Isn't there a cap on how much the footy dept can spend these days and if it's over you're basically paying a luxury tax into the equalization fund?

There's a very low cap on the maximum luxury tax payable though so the only clubs it effects are mid-sized clubs. Cheap clubs pay no luxury tax, mid-range clubs pay luxury tax on their whole excess spend, top clubs pay about the same total amount of luxury tax as the mid-range clubs and then spend what they want on top with no extra tax imposed

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Is he contracted until 2020 or until the end of the 2020 season? Either way that's a big long contract to have to pay out.

EDIT: Which really begs the question why in fucks name would you put a coach, any coach, on a 5 year contract?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Bumped into Josh Kennedy down at the local iga. Dude is massive.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Frogmanv2 posted:

Which one?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Eagles forward Josh Kennedy.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

hiddenmovement posted:

Is he contracted until 2020 or until the end of the 2020 season? Either way that's a big long contract to have to pay out.

EDIT: Which really begs the question why in fucks name would you put a coach, any coach, on a 5 year contract?

End of 2020 I think, all with the intent of showing stability, and keeping Fyfe who loves Ross.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

hiddenmovement posted:

Doubling down on your double down?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Frogmanv2 posted:

Luke Hodge and Jarryd Roughead were outside Southbank this morning spruiking ticket sales for a raffle. Luke Hodge didn't seem that tall, but I suppose he was standing next to Roughead, who is huge (but has shamefully small calves).

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Memento posted:

Luke Hodge and Jarryd Roughead were outside Southbank this morning spruiking ticket sales for a raffle. Luke Hodge didn't seem that tall, but I suppose he was standing next to Roughead, who is huge (but has shamefully small calves).

I'm glad you're safe

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Disgraced sports scientist Stephen Dank claims he supplied former Gold Coast Suns star Nathan Bock with the prohibited peptide CJC-1295.

The revelation comes just a week after Bock was cleared of doping by the Australian Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) and allowed to continue coaching NEAFL team Southport Sharks.

Dank refused to be interviewed by the ABC, but confirmed he is on the public record saying that he had provided the peptide to Bock in 2010. Dank had told News Corp he bought the drug at a Sydney compounding pharmacy in December 2010 and took it to the Gold Coast on a plane in a cooler bag packed with dry ice.

He said he then gave the CJC-1295 to then Suns fitness boss Dean Robinson, who taught Bock how to self-administer it.

Dank's confession came as ASADA insisted on Tuesday it was unable to establish whether the drug Bock used was actually CJC-1295.

ASADA announced it had found that numerous inconsistencies in witness evidence were unable to be resolved by corroborating evidence, leading to the authority clearing Bock of doping.

Robinson and Dank worked for the Suns in late 2010 when Bock, the start-up club's star signing, was being treated for an Achilles injury.

The pair then reunited at Essendon in late 2011 and played key roles in establishing the Bombers pharmacologically experimental drugs program.

An ASADA spokesperson on Tuesday said: "To prove that an athlete has used a prohibited substance, it must be able to prove the substance used by that athlete."

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

snaeksikn posted:

Dank had told News Corp he bought the drug at a Sydney compounding pharmacy in December 2010 and took it to the Gold Coast on a plane in a cooler bag packed with dry ice.

How the gently caress do you get dry ice on a plane?

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Robinson and Dank

I wish these two would gently caress off or actually get some kind of "bringing the game into disrepute" charges put to them. Seriously, who do they think they are?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Cloud the Cat posted:

Robinson and Dank

I wish these two would gently caress off or actually get some kind of "bringing the game into disrepute" charges put to them. Seriously, who do they think they are?

It's nice to see them getting some attention for a change.

Dunno how ASADA decided Bock was free to go after Dank admitted to giving him banned drugs, when all they had on Essendon was a lot of circumstantial evidence that needed a reduced burden of proof in order to secure a conviction.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

So Essendon players were found guilty but Dank insists he didn't give them anything illegal (but won't swear to it) and Bock is found not guilty and Dank insists he did give him something illegal.

What an enormous oval office that bloke is.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

pkid posted:

So Essendon players were found guilty but Dank insists he didn't give them anything illegal (but won't swear to it) and Bock is found not guilty and Dank insists he did give him something illegal.

What an enormous oval office that bloke is.

At least he's lost every defamation case he's gone after

Re-watch his interview with Mike Sheehan if you ever forget how much of an absolute knob he is

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Spedman posted:

How the gently caress do you get dry ice on a plane?

With your hands, in a cooler bag. There's no problem with it and it's done all the time. I sat next to a dude carrying a chemo drug for a patient in Perth last time I flew over there that was perishable and needed to be kept cold. They mix it up at the Alfred and then fly it all over the country.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

snaeksikn posted:

At least he's lost every defamation case he's gone after

Re-watch his interview with Mike Sheehan if you ever forget how much of an absolute knob he is

It really speaks to the desire to win in these clubs that someone who is so obviously a shitheel from the outside is welcomed into clubs because there is a chance he might get them a flag.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

snaeksikn posted:

An ASADA spokesperson on Tuesday said: "To prove that an athlete has used a prohibited substance, it must be able to prove the substance used by that athlete."

Wait, what? Wasnt one of the issues that there was never any proof about what the Essendon players took?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
The burden of proof required in the WADA court case was lower than "definitely took it".

To prove they definitely took it requires evidence making that clear, but they didn't need to prove that they definitely took the drugs. Just that they probably did by some measure.

I know that seems like bullshit, but that's why clubs are required to keep extensive records and a paper trail about everything, so that there can be no dispute about what was or wasn't taken. Except for when clubs somehow "lose" all the records.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Memento posted:

With your hands, in a cooler bag. There's no problem with it and it's done all the time. I sat next to a dude carrying a chemo drug for a patient in Perth last time I flew over there that was perishable and needed to be kept cold. They mix it up at the Alfred and then fly it all over the country.

That sounds like a legit reason, and a good reason.

However, we're talking about Dank giving dodgy drugs to footballers, I assume you'd have to get some kind of clearance from the airport/authorities to get it on the plane. (Very much a forrest for the trees side chat).

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

ASADA has revived its inquiry into Nathan Bock and Gold Coast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjedLeVGcfE

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Wouldn't surprise me if Dank was just loving with ASADA now purely because he can and because he's a shitheel.

Whatever happened to the courts compelling him to give evidence when called upon or a fine would continue to be racked up, did that ever go anywhere?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I totes gave a guy at the Suns a banned substance

Also I'm going after the Suns for wrongful dismissal because I did nothing wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

a hawks player is involved in a police investigation regarding a nightclub assault. surprisingly, its brad hill

• Locked thread