Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So I caught the first episode of Maiyoga (Or The Lost Village as they have it on Crunchyroll) and it's not bad. A nice introduction to the situation, though it made me laugh when the first episode ended on a dramatic look at a bus! Driving forward! :rolleyes:. Other than that, it seemed decent enough so far. Going to have to catch episode two later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Lord Koth posted:

Problem is, unless they're somehow getting more than 12 episodes, that's unlikely. If they don't go for an anime-original ending I can see them getting through chapter 17, but no further. But yes, post-chapter 17 is pretty fun - not to say it's not decent before then as well. One nice thing I did appreciate was the mangaka setting it in stone that they're the actual final couple in chapter 15. Especially with the love triangle-type stuff popping up at the moment, it's nice to have actual proof, as opposed to endless waffling.

Yeah, maybe I need to reread the pre-17 stuff, maybe I'm being a bit rough on it. My worry is that they'll rush through a lot of stuff to get to here.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lord Koth posted:

Problem is, unless they're somehow getting more than 12 episodes, that's unlikely. If they don't go for an anime-original ending I can see them getting through chapter 17, but no further. But yes, post-chapter 17 is pretty fun - not to say it's not decent before then as well. One nice thing I did appreciate was the mangaka setting it in stone that they're the actual final couple in chapter 15. Especially with the love triangle-type stuff popping up at the moment, it's nice to have actual proof, as opposed to endless waffling.

I did hear that Twin Star Exorcists got 50 episodes. If that's wrong, well, blame Davincie.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I have no problem with people reacting to the show itself, it's the fact that every time Imaishi is brought up people are always tripping over themselves to call him a perv or whatever and it gets old really fast

I tease, I get popping monocles every page of a thread is annoying, there's just something a bit "doth protest to much"-y about how strictly some try to seperate any mention of this, that or the other Imaishi thing from all the others that's sorta funny to me. It IS still an Imaishi thing, at the end of the day, albeit a pretty reigned in one.

Anybody else watching Ajin?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

I did hear that Twin Star Exorcists got 50 episodes. If that's wrong, well, blame Davincie.

Yeah, I've seen that number thrown around too, though unless they start drastically slowing down the pace that seems way too many considering the currently available material. Just have to wait and see.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

i did say it was a rumor....

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

50 episodes is too long for any show.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

chumbler posted:

Chihayafuru would like a word with you. :colbert:

My Hero Academia is fun so far. The first two episodes felt like a long introduction before we get to the meat of the series, but I'm looking forward to the next one (I haven't read the manga).

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Is there even enough material for 50 episodes without going into Naruto filler territory?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Mentat Radnor posted:

Chihayafuru would like a word with you. :colbert:

My Hero Academia is fun so far. The first two episodes felt like a long introduction before we get to the meat of the series, but I'm looking forward to the next one (I haven't read the manga).

Chihayafuru was two distinct seasons so it doesn't count as much imo. in the same sense you can just break up a 50 episode series into arcs, as long as the story supports that (some shows don't)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Hunter x hunter was really good for all 130 or so episodes

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

like Gundams are not really conducive to being broken up, so their 40+ episode runs are rightfully daunting to a lot of people

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Is there even enough material for 50 episodes without going into Naruto filler territory?

There are currently only 29 chapters, and the first two episodes have both covered an entire chapter sooooo.... You could add a few more chapters to that total if they really do make 50 episodes due to the passage of time, but they'd have to start drastically slowing down the pacing. Since they're ~50 page chapters they probably could do this without unduly dragging things out, but it's very much up in the air.

Admittedly I'm personally of the opinion it will likely only get twelve episodes, either ending with anime-original or Chapter 17, but it's not impossible they could do a 50 episode series.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

dogsicle posted:

Chihayafuru was two distinct seasons so it doesn't count as much imo. in the same sense you can just break up a 50 episode series into arcs, as long as the story supports that (some shows don't)

True enough, although Chihayafuru being broken up like that didn't stop me from marathoning all 52 episodes in a week and immediately wishing for more.

I would agree that 50 is too long if the studio has to stretch source material with filler in order to get there.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

I need at least 315.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Phobophilia posted:

Gintama

edit; ah my bad then

VVV

Compendium fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 14, 2016

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Think Phobophilia is asking for Twin Star Exorcists specifically.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
2nd episode of Bungo Stray Dogs was pretty silly but I'm really looking forward to the next episode. I don't think I'm ever going to get tired of watching Dazai mess with Kunikida lol.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Strange Quark posted:

Think Phobophilia is asking for Twin Star Exorcists specifically.

Chumbler wasn't, though, saying that 50 was too many for any show.

Shows of which I've watched >50 episodes:
Bleach (Gave up somewhere around 120)
Monster (all 76)
Code Geass: Lelouch (All 52)
Hayate no Gotoku (52 + extra series)
Gintama (I'm at about 155 or so?)
Hikaru no Go (All 80 something)
Hunter x Hunter (All 130 something)
Negima!? and Mahou Sensei Negima (26 each, doesn't count though due to overlap, probably)

Of them, the only one that I strongly regret is Bleach.

EDIT: That's 10 days of wasted time across all of them, so by regret I really mean in terms of "this is all filler, why am I wasting my time".

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 14, 2016

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I enjoyed gintama and rurouni kenshin. Watched dragonball and digimon in elementary school, don't think I'd enjoy them now

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I was going to say that Gintama changes things up enough that the episode count is not a problem. Then I remembered a few of the arcs are such a slog that I stopped watching for months before picking it back up. I think I stalled out somewhere in the 170s and have not gotten back to it yet. I can only take so many Dragon Quest parodies and 'serious' arcs. Stick to the one-off gag episodes.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I made kind of a half-rear end thread for Bungo Stray Dogs
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772228

There is so much fantastic art for the whole franchise it was kinda overwhelming looking for content so I just went minimal for the time being but I'll probably edit it when I have more energy for it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

grrarg posted:

I was going to say that Gintama changes things up enough that the episode count is not a problem. Then I remembered a few of the arcs are such a slog that I stopped watching for months before picking it back up. I think I stalled out somewhere in the 170s and have not gotten back to it yet. I can only take so many Dragon Quest parodies and 'serious' arcs. Stick to the one-off gag episodes.

The longest arc is 8 episodes, barring the most recent arc which is 9. It's very speedy for a shonen. Compare it to Hunter x Hunter, which is relatively quick too, and that has usually ~20 episodes for the meaty arcs.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 14, 2016

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Okay, I know I said I liked the first episode of Twin Star, but man the second is total garbage. Like, I'm fine with bad shows. This was worse than Hundred or Asterisk. The main character is just a loving black hole of personality.

Someone mentioned a time skip. Does that happen like, immediately?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_nxmgxnU8Lt1uhuxef.mp4

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

kater posted:

Okay, I know I said I liked the first episode of Twin Star, but man the second is total garbage. Like, I'm fine with bad shows. This was worse than Hundred or Asterisk. The main character is just a loving black hole of personality.

Someone mentioned a time skip. Does that happen like, immediately?

No.

Although if they keep up the pace that they set in ep 1 they may get to it halfway through the series?

It seems like the consensus is a resounding 'meh' for the series, I say just read it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I am not going to watch Twin Star Exorcists due to the manga giving me a profound feeling of "Eh."

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Pootybutt posted:

Anybody else watching Ajin?

Yeah. The subs I'm watching are up to episode 12 and I have no idea how (or if) they're going to wrap anything up satisfactorily in one episode, but it's been a good watch.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hello, I am the Motoko Kusanagi. I am played by the Scarlett Johansson.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

:yikes:

Everything about that looks absolutely loving terrible. :(

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

3D pigs gently caress off!

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i hope they keep the weird boat lesbians scene from the original manga in the movie

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

She looks like Arise Motoko, but the plot is based on the first season of SAC.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
You know, it really bothers me that Hollywood can't be assed to get Asian leads for these kinds of films.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I thought what I'd do was, I'd adapt an anime into a generic blockbuster.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I just threw up in my mouth a little.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Anne Happy is not really catching me. Next week will have to be a major improvement.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Kabaneri episode 2 has been delayed due to the earthquake.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

nielsm posted:

Anne Happy is not really catching me. Next week will have to be a major improvement.

its okay, but yeah. if anything else aired early enough that i could watch it while getting ready for work thursdays, i'd probably drop it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I dropped Anne Happy, because there is so much else I'm watching. It's on my backlog now.

• Locked thread