Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
The GT-Air has the weirdest aerodynamics of any helmet I've ever owned. Up to 80mph it's absolutely perfect - quiet, smooth, no lifting or buffeting (even with a camera on one side and a Sena on the other). At 80.1mph it goes completely to poo poo, alternating between lifting and smacking my head side to side like I'm the opponent in Punch-Out. 90 is impossible to cope with for anything more than a couple of minutes, but then over 100 it smooths back out (although with truly monstrous drag).

All this is on a naked bike, so it's possible that you'll have different results with a fairing. Even taking into account the above it's still the best lid I've ever owned by a long way, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I've been looking at the caberg duke as a next helmet, because despite being a bit fat (one shell size) it fixes most of the issues I have with my current helmet. The currently available graphics are thoroughly meh, so I hit up their website to see if any new ones are in the pipeline.

Turns out there is (a fairly jazzy black and white design subtitled "gravity", though nowhere is selling it yet), but gently caress that because what's this halfway down the list of available colours:

:swoon:

Of course, nobody sells or ever has sold this colour. It exists solely on the manufacturer website as a massive cocktease, apparently :suicide:

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

What's good for cleaning white textile? My white jacket is starting to go black.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Regular laundry detergent should be fine, maybe a dab of vanish for tough oil spots (get a second opinion on that one, I'm not 100% what's in the stuff. If it's no good then a little bit of dish soap should do for tough stains).

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

tngffl posted:

RF-1200 or a GT-Air? Which should I buy?
If you're actually going to use the internal visor, the GT Air is a great Shoei and it has the smoothest internal visor mechanism of any helmet (even other "premium" helmets like Schuberth). With the GT Air, you'll lose the SNELL rating because no helmet with an internal visor will pass (which Arai claims is why they use their external Pro Shade system instead). It's also a bit (~1.7oz) heavier than the RF1200 due to the added mechanism.

It mainly comes down to which feature you value more: sun visor or SNELL. You can't go wrong either way.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Schroeder91 posted:

What's good for cleaning white textile? My white jacket is starting to go black.

The guy at moto liberty said to use abrasive hand cleaner like gojo (rub into the textile part) and run it through the washer, but I've never tried it because you know ... :effort:

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Yeah I've always just removed the armor/padding and thrown it in the washing machine. It's supposed to protect you from pavement, surely it can survive a washing machine gentle cycle.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I also remove padding and throw my textiles in the washing machine. They've lasted like 5 years now.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Bbbut the waterproof.. :cry:

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Hey -Inu-, could you compare the rev'it Tornado pants that are on clearance right now with the new Airwaves? I'm looking for a replacement for my current Airwaves which are pretty disgusting after a few years of daily commuting. I probably wouldn't use the liners in the Tornados, so how would they compare just as over pants? Also, is there anything comparable to the old Airwaves from any other brands I should consider?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

KARMA! posted:

If it's proper waterproof a wash won't hurt it. Nikwax before the dryer.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

-Inu- posted:

For the brands you can get dealer pricing on, T-GP Pro Air (I loving despise A/S naming convention) or Anthem 2 will be your best bet. Mostly comes down to your build and which will fit you best.

If you're willing to stray from those brands, I think the Dai Airframe is the best venting mesh jacket on the market. If you look at the pics you'll see what I mean.

With that said, above a certain temp/speed, you're actually cooler by not having ventilation. But I haven't taken thermo in years and it's a big ordeal where you have to factor in ambient temp/speed/humidity/sweat evaporation. Probably some good articles on it online.

edit: Would anyone be interested in a list of summer gear that I like the most this year? I can do a low/mid/high budget if there's interest.

Thanks! You are a saint among goons. I was looking at the pro air, but it shows discontinued/no refunds so unfortunately I can't buy it to try on and return it. The shop I work for mostly does maintenance so we don't have a merchandise area or anything. I'm on the stocky/chubby end of the spectrum so I imagine the A* will be tight in the wrong places and too loose in the other wrong places since I'd probably order an XL. That Airframe does look great, but they lean towards the leaner side, don't they? Is there anything in the perf'd leather area that works well in the heat or are textiles the best bet?

As far as the hot weather and venting thing goes, it's touch and go. We usually have super low humidity when it's over 100 but depending on how rigorous they are with watering the golf courses it can get a little muggy. We also try to avoid the middle of the day and plan our trips for the early morning and get back and night once it has cooled off back down to the low 100s...

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Koruthaiolos posted:

Hey -Inu-, could you compare the rev'it Tornado pants that are on clearance right now with the new Airwaves? I'm looking for a replacement for my current Airwaves which are pretty disgusting after a few years of daily commuting. I probably wouldn't use the liners in the Tornados, so how would they compare just as over pants? Also, is there anything comparable to the old Airwaves from any other brands I should consider?
They're pretty similar if you ignore the liners in the Tornadoes. The Airwaves have a little more mesh than the Tornadoes, but the mesh on the Tornadoes has a looser weave so the ventilation would be about the same. The Tornadoes are a true overpant in that they have a full length zipper on the inside leg, if that means anything to you. You'll want to drop down 1 size, as the Tornadoes run a tad large, but if you can find a closeout pair in your size I think you'd be happy with them. If you won't be using the liners and don't care about the full length zipper, there's really no difference between the two. If Rev'it fits you well, there's not really any reason to look at other brands. Nothing mindblowing offered by other manufacturers.

El Jebus posted:

Thanks! You are a saint among goons. I was looking at the pro air, but it shows discontinued/no refunds so unfortunately I can't buy it to try on and return it. The shop I work for mostly does maintenance so we don't have a merchandise area or anything. I'm on the stocky/chubby end of the spectrum so I imagine the A* will be tight in the wrong places and too loose in the other wrong places since I'd probably order an XL. That Airframe does look great, but they lean towards the leaner side, don't they? Is there anything in the perf'd leather area that works well in the heat or are textiles the best bet?

As far as the hot weather and venting thing goes, it's touch and go. We usually have super low humidity when it's over 100 but depending on how rigorous they are with watering the golf courses it can get a little muggy. We also try to avoid the middle of the day and plan our trips for the early morning and get back and night once it has cooled off back down to the low 100s...
Yeah, the Airframe is going to fit quite slim. If you're not going to be sitting in traffic and will be in lower humidity, perf leather can work. But if it's high humidity and/or you're sitting in traffic, you will literally die. If there are any gear places near you that sell a piece you're interested in, you can always swing by and try some stuff on to get an idea for fit.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Dainese sizing utterly baffles me. Bought a 52 jacket and it was tight across the chest, so swapped it for a 54 which is fine around the chest but a tiny bit tight around the gut. Also the 52 trousers are actually a tiny bit loose around the gut. A good reminder I've still got 10 or so kilos of winter weight to burn off, though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You're probably just not shaped like a tall, skinny, cigarette-smoking Italian. I find that Dainese stuff fits me very well and true to size.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

KARMA! posted:

quote:

Los Angeles gets an average 14.93 inches of rain a year.

Even when it's raining I'm usually to lazy to swap out my mesh jacket.

clutchpuck posted:

If it's proper waterproof a wash won't hurt it. Nikwax before the dryer.
I 100% would not advise putting it through a dryer though, it's gonna air dry in no time anyways there's not much point.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

You're probably just not shaped like a tall, skinny, cigarette-smoking Italian. I find that Dainese stuff fits me very well and true to size.

Nice humblebrag there bro

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

Nice humblebrag there bro

I dunno if that's something I'd brag about, personally.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, I didn't really see it that way either. But I guess you might interpret it as bragging if you're a short, dumpy, fast-food-eating American. :smug:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

It also fits if you look like a Russian Eminem with a pot "problem".

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sage you might be skinny but you sure aren't tall, every Dainese jacket I've tried is far too short in both the sleeves and torso so I end up looking like I'm wearing a leather tank top.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's because they're made to be worn with gauntlet gloves and high-waisted riding pants.

This is a normal fit, per Dainese's own website

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Well there's my problem, I'm not black

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Thats more Swarthy than Black

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Pretty sure that's just what Dainese thinks Sicilians look like.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Beach Bum posted:

I dunno if that's something I'd brag about, personally.
I'll brag about it unremittingly because Ben Spies' GP suit fits me perfectly :smug:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
As it turns out the jacket does actually fit well even though I'm certainly not a skinny Italian, my body type is pretty standard British "I eat lard more often than I see the sun". It's just longer than I thought it was so I had it bunched up a bit at the waist when I first did the zip up.,

The sleeves are definitely short though but that's fine by me because I do have a fairly large chest and shoulders for my height so normally I have to buy jackets a few sizes too big and so the elbow armour doesn't always fit well. Dainese stuff generally fits me better than most brands because of this.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
How much stock should one put into Sharp's star ratings?

Lots of really well reviewed helmets get only 3 stars, and ones that nobody really looks at get 5. They also only show how well the helmets do at the "higher than ECE speed" drop.

Also, dunno if this is going to irritate the hivemind, but what are the thoughts of modular helmets for use going to and from work in a hot urban area, never breaking 45? The motorcycle cops here wear the same one I do (and ride with it flipped up, wtf) and it got 3 stars on Sharp.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't think about Sharp ratings much. Sharp does somewhat more comprehensive testing than the ECE or Snell, but actual statistical studies of motorcycle crashes have only demonstrated that any helmet is better than no helmet, and any full-face helmet is better than any other style of helmet. The specific strengths and weaknesses of a given design are wiped out by the different circumstances inherent to every accident. No helmet can protect against every type of impact, either; ECE and Snell, for instance, target two different types of crashes (ECE is more protective for low-speed stuff, Snell is better at higher speeds) and generally aren't compatible with one another.

I say look at the brands that the professional riders wear, and get one of those.

Oh, and don't buy helmets that are only rated DOT, because DOT doesn't actually require testing -- just a statement from the manufacturer saying "we think this would pass if it were tested." Get something with ECE or Snell or that has a 5-star Sharp, whatever you prefer -- they're all as good as one another.

I don't wear a modular helmet so I dunno about those. I've heard that in the locked down position they're very nearly as strong as a full-face, so as long as you keep the face down while you're riding I don't think you have any reason to feel unsafe.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Space Whale posted:

How much stock should one put into Sharp's star ratings?

Lots of really well reviewed helmets get only 3 stars, and ones that nobody really looks at get 5. They also only show how well the helmets do at the "higher than ECE speed" drop.

Also, dunno if this is going to irritate the hivemind, but what are the thoughts of modular helmets for use going to and from work in a hot urban area, never breaking 45? The motorcycle cops here wear the same one I do (and ride with it flipped up, wtf) and it got 3 stars on Sharp.

For a Modular the AGV Numo does well on Sharp: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/agv-numo

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Had small 80km test drive with my Schuberth E1. Soooo quiet. No need for ear plugs up to 60Km/h speeds. I'll try to change to lighter ear plugs as the ones I used with my old HJC Rpha-10 is almost making it too quiet.

The adjustable front spoiler thingy is pretty stable in the wind, but got a little vibration if I set it to certain heights combined with setting the windscreen on the bike

Mounted my sena 20s + added gopro mount+ tether. The fabric in the helmet was so smooth that the velcro on the speakers didn't have any grip, I had to use some of the supplied velcro stickers.

I'm not too happy about the placement of my go pro mount, as I didn't want it to be on the flip up front part of the helmet, but that made it hard getting the vertical angle correct without a pretty long arm. I'll see how more shaky it is, though the garmin virb xe got good auto stabilization of the image.

Anyone with a gopro and a flip up helmet with it mounted on the front here? i'm just unsure if the added weight might mess with keeping it in locked up position.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
3-star SHARP is more-or-less equivalent to ACU Gold Star, which is the minimum requirement for use on race tracks in the UK (so the tea-drinking counterpart of the Snell certification). I say more-or-less because ACU (and I think Snell) refuse to certify any modular helmet or one with an internal sun visor. 3-star should be pretty much the minimum you're willing to accept, IMO.

Anything above that doesn't hurt of course but don't be scared to sacrifice a star or two for other features that you want/need and of course for fit - even the best helmet will be far less safe than a cheap one if it's too tight or falls off your head.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

Sagebrush posted:

I don't wear a modular helmet so I dunno about those. I've heard that in the locked down position they're very nearly as strong as a full-face, so as long as you keep the face down while you're riding I don't think you have any reason to feel unsafe.

Also you won't look like a complete tool while riding.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Outside Dawg posted:

For a Modular the AGV Numo does well on Sharp: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/agv-numo

I just got this helmet and I really love it. Louder than my scorpion modular but not that noticeable with earplugs in. The front can be locked in either position in addition to the clasp that keeps it down so you don't worry about head movement sliding the front down if you want to ride with it open. I normally just keep it closed to prevent bees. It vents really well.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I don't understand why people get a modular and ride with the chin bar up. Just get a 3/4 and be done with it. The majority of them aren't designed to be ridden with the chin up above, like, ~10mph anyway.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

3-star SHARP is more-or-less equivalent to ACU Gold Star, which is the minimum requirement for use on race tracks in the UK (so the tea-drinking counterpart of the Snell certification). I say more-or-less because ACU (and I think Snell) refuse to certify any modular helmet or one with an internal sun visor. 3-star should be pretty much the minimum you're willing to accept, IMO.

Anything above that doesn't hurt of course but don't be scared to sacrifice a star or two for other features that you want/need and of course for fit - even the best helmet will be far less safe than a cheap one if it's too tight or falls off your head.

Woo, details!

How likely are you to have a front, left/right side, back, or crown impact, anyway? I notice per sharp a lot of helmets suck at the side impacts - at least as far as the one they show, which is the one harder than ECE.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Just get a straw / hydration bladder and go regular full face V :) V

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Space Whale posted:

Woo, details!

How likely are you to have a front, left/right side, back, or crown impact, anyway? I notice per sharp a lot of helmets suck at the side impacts - at least as far as the one they show, which is the one harder than ECE.

Not very:

The general forehead/face/chin region is the most likely to get splattered at around 65% altogether. Back of the head totals 30%, the last 5% is spread over the crown and sides. (no I don't know the source, of the image or the data. Sorry.) This is why you get a chin bar, and ride with it down if it's capable of flipping up.

Well, that and the gruesome x-ray images of what you'll look like if you don't.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 21, 2016

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Space Whale posted:

Woo, details!

RR beat me to the image...

Fairly likely. However it's one of the thicker parts of the skull, and the brain is much more tolerant of side-to-side impact than it is to back-and-forth or (especially) rotational shock, so side impact is less critical than front or back impact, which is why even helmets with a "poor" rating for side impact can still get a 3-star rating (SHARP weight the damage areas).

To give you a specific idea of what I was talking about in being willing to sacrifice absolute safety for other features, I'll take you through how I picked my current helmet.

I commute, and live in the UK where winter sun is an absolute bitch in the mornings and evenings are pitch-black by 4 o'clock, and so for me an internal sun-visor was an absolute necessity. There are very few helmets with an internal visor and a 5-star rating (the mechanism for the visor takes up some space in the side, so they do less well in side-impact tests. Previously I'd owned a 4-star AGV Skyline and went to a Shark S800, also 4 stars because my head changed shape enough to make the AGV unsafe and really uncomfortable. However the Shark is a really loving cheap helmet - which is fine, because it costs so little, but it's noisier than war, has the aerodynamics of a brick (buffeting bad enough to cause neck spasms at 80mps) and is just not a pleasant place to be.

So I splashed out on a Shoei GT-Air - only 3 stars and almost triple the price but seriously worth every penny. It's so much quieter that earplugs are entirely optional unless I'm doing long motorway runs, while still allowing me to hear traffic around me at urban speeds, the aeros are smooth as silk until you hit 80, and the venting is ruthlessly efficient - enough so that having the top vent open at any decent speed in anything other than the height of summer is enough to give you an ice-cream headache.

As brilliant as it is though I'd never have touched it if it didn't also fit me perfectly, and I can't emphasise that enough. Get a helmet that fits, then work everything else out from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I got a modular helmet because I wear glasses, and it's much easier to keep them on when I put on a modular helmet.

That's pretty much it. It blows my mind that people are riding at speed with the helmet up. Like, that's not the point, you loving mooks. Why would you do that? I might lift mine at a gas station or something, but if I'm moving, it's locked down.