Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

that dude rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

We still have Wendy & Lisa right?

Right?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kilmers Elbow posted:

We still have Wendy & Lisa right?

Right?

Wendy?

Yes Lisa

Is the water warm enough?

Yes Lisa

Shall we begin the funeral?

Yes Lisa

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Puppy Galaxy posted:

ill never understand why goons get so mad about this.

yeah why can't you guys just let worthless social media attention whores use someone's death for retweets in peace? geez, goons amirite

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

that dude rules

"NJ-based singer-songwriter Don Ryan. Gypsy folk rock with a psychedelic touch."

just lol

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

i have no idea how people are getting this upset over loving prince of all ppl. bowie didnt even draw this reaction

Probably because Prince was better than Bowie.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Killed by collapsing sugar walls. What a way to go

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

kiimo posted:

Probably because Prince was better than Bowie.

You showed your hand too early with this one, bud

I mean, lol if you're honest

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Internaut! posted:

yeah why can't you guys just let worthless social media attention whores use someone's death for retweets in peace? geez, goons amirite

i guess my assumption is people who are bummed prince is dead and have posted about it, liked his music. but then again i dont see the world through a lense where everyone is an adversary

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
charlie murphy could whoop his rear end at basketball ball now

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

What is the etiquette for waiting after a celebrity death before we all start digging up old reports and calling him a statutory rapist?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Decebal posted:

Prince was better at playing, but Bowie was a better songwriter.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
died of aids in a paisley park, just like my uncle jimmy.
pouring out a bottle of frosty jacks for the big man

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
cream, shaboogy, bop :sigh:

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Tsaedje posted:

Anyone point out that a skinny man died of a big disease with a little name?

:wow:

It would be even weirder if it happened in France.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
Who cares about Prince, Richard Lyons of Negativland just died. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1vYGi7Hiro

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Crash_N_Burn posted:

Killed by collapsing sugar walls. What a way to go

It was either that or pussy control

Malinois
Jun 13, 2003

Vastarien posted:

Who cares about Prince, Richard Lyons of Negativland just died. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1vYGi7Hiro

lmao he was 57

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Wolf Blitzer is an adorable kind of retard, like Forest Gump.

Malinois
Jun 13, 2003

that was pretty crass, sorry for his loss

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Decebal posted:

I am being quite honest. Perhaps you haven't really thought about it, you may be less aghast.

#1 Hits

Prince: 5
Bowie: 2

Top 100 hits

Prince: 40
Bowie: 20 or 22 depending on what I'm seeing

Instruments played

Prince: 27
Bowie: 13

Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Artists:

Prince: #27
Bowie: #39

When Purple Rain came out everybody claimed that either Prince or Michael Jackson was the biggest star in the world, something nobody ever said about Bowie.

Eric Clapton was once asked how it feels to be the best guitar player that ever lived: "I don't know ask Prince"

The artist David Bowie is most often compared to is most likely Alice Cooper. The artist Prince is most often compared to is Mozart.

Bowie was very influential, but then again so was Prince, albeit in a different way. It was rather unfortunate fashion that everyone in the early 80s was wearing, but then again so was Stardust. If I were to compare them like artists I'd say Bowie was most like Andy Warhol. Technicality wasn't as important as the scene he created around him. But if I was to compare Prince to an artist, I'd say he's more like Frank Gehry, technically proficient as he is influential, just with less scene.

So why do people put Bowie ahead of Prince? In my opinion it's relatability. It certainly isn't song structure, accomplishments or technical prowess.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
The Artist Formerly Known As Alive

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The Artist Formerly Known As Alive

Excellent joke, can't believe nobody thought of it.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

kiimo are you going to cry yourself to sleep tonight? Because it seems like you might, mate

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

kiimo posted:

Excellent joke, can't believe nobody thought of it.

Yeah, probably because it isn't 1995 anymore.

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
in other news, caro is alive

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

kiimo posted:

So why do people put Bowie ahead of Prince? In my opinion it's relatability. It certainly isn't song structure, accomplishments or technical prowess.

I read you, Bowie is more relatable than... those people, you know who I mean. Dogwhistle heard, loud and clear

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

kiimo posted:

I am being quite honest. Perhaps you haven't really thought about it, you may be less aghast.

#1 Hits

Prince: 5
Bowie: 2

Top 100 hits

Prince: 40
Bowie: 20 or 22 depending on what I'm seeing

Instruments played

Prince: 27
Bowie: 13

Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Artists:

Prince: #27
Bowie: #39

When Purple Rain came out everybody claimed that either Prince or Michael Jackson was the biggest star in the world, something nobody ever said about Bowie.

Eric Clapton was once asked how it feels to be the best guitar player that ever lived: "I don't know ask Prince"

The artist David Bowie is most often compared to is most likely Alice Cooper. The artist Prince is most often compared to is Mozart.

Bowie was very influential, but then again so was Prince, albeit in a different way. It was rather unfortunate fashion that everyone in the early 80s was wearing, but then again so was Stardust. If I were to compare them like artists I'd say Bowie was most like Andy Warhol. Technicality wasn't as important as the scene he created around him. But if I was to compare Prince to an artist, I'd say he's more like Frank Gehry, technically proficient as he is influential, just with less scene.

Using chart placement for singles is the dumbest possible metric for judging artists, by your logic, the Eagles are better than both of them.

Also, Rolling Stone doesn't know rear end from elbows.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Using chart placement for singles is the dumbest possible metric for judging artists, by your logic, the Eagles are better than both of them.

Also, Rolling Stone doesn't know rear end from elbows.

By your logic, 5 people = 1 person

Instead of spending your time and effort propping up the ridiculous notion that bowie was better or more influential than prince, spend your time learning to appreciate prince's early albums

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Can we give up Charlie Sheen and get Prince or Bowie back?

Please.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Drunk Nerds posted:

By your logic, 5 people = 1 person

Instead of spending your time and effort propping up the ridiculous notion that bowie was better or more influential than prince, spend your time learning to appreciate prince's early albums

I like Prince fine and absolutely recognize his influence, I just think kiimo used piss poor logic to make his point

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

All metrics boil down to opinion. "I think Prince is better" is not really a quantifiable argument so I use the only means we have.

Drunk Nerds posted:

I read you, Bowie is more relatable than... those people, you know who I mean. Dogwhistle heard, loud and clear

For this forum, I'd say absolutely Bowie is more relatable to the navel-gazing white autists that make up the majority of goons.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

kiimo are you going to cry yourself to sleep tonight? Because it seems like you might, mate

The last word on my glistening lips, salty with tears, will be "good night, sweet Prince".

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I like Prince fine and absolutely recognize his influence, I just think kiimo used piss poor logic to make his point

Fair enough. Did you use logic to make your counterpoint and I missed it? I kinda skipped a few pages itt

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Drunk Nerds posted:

Fair enough. Did you use logic to make your counterpoint and I missed it? I kinda skipped a few pages itt

Basically what I was saying is that using people's ability to chart on Billboard is a poor way to judge their influence. To wit, The Eagles Greatest Hits is I think either #3 or #4 all time in sales, but it doesn't make the Eagles a great band, it just means they make pleasant rock that the masses enjoy. And that's fine. But it sure as poo poo doesn't make them better than Led Zeppelin, just like Prince outselling Bowie doesn't make him better. Now if you want to argue the quality of their discographies, that's somehting to measure them by.

And also, taking a magazine (RS) that is completely and utterly irrelevant when it comes to music coverage as a metric to prove an artist is better than another seems silly to me.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 21, 2016

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Anyway didn't mean to start a whole debate, work is just slow.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Never listened to much of his music, mainly just heard he was a lunatic and kind of a litigious rear end in a top hat.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

kiimo posted:

All metrics boil down to opinion. "I think Prince is better" is not really a quantifiable argument so I use the only means we have.

For this forum, I'd say absolutely Bowie is more relatable to the navel-gazing white autists that make up the majority of goons.

The last word on my glistening lips, salty with tears, will be "good night, sweet Prince".

thsi is white guilt in action

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Prince wasn't as influential as Bowie, even though he was a better musician. Prince was one of a kind while Bowie had tons of imitators.

I have great respect for both of them, but it's not really worth arguing who was "better".

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm open to counter-arguments. The only thing I take exception to is someone acting like there's no argument to be made in Prince's defense over David Bowie, an artist I've always liked but never had any songs that I'd call masterpieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's only April.
What the hell is going on with 2016?

• Locked thread