Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

kcroy posted:

Wait. what? Where Rickon at?!!

In addition to what bobjr said, it seems likely that Rickon is "the gift" that Ramsay will receive in Episode 3, according to the Episode 3 synopsis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is the Rickon getting wracked rumor true? that seem to be very different from what GRRM had in mind for him. Sansa becoming the Queen of the North seem to be way too obviously a conclusion for the audiences, which goes against GRRM style of writing. I always thought Sansa would take over King's Landing.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If you stick to the timeline Rickon is supposed to be 5 years old, so it would be totally fine to make him the heir to Winterfell and just have Sansa actually doing everything because he's five. That would actually be pretty fitting for what she has learned about politics; there is no need to be the face of power if you can wield it indirectly. But that's kind of screwed up for the show because they've had to have more relative time pass due to people aging and stuff, so that option is less open.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

whatever7 posted:

Is the Rickon getting wracked rumor true? that seem to be very different from what GRRM had in mind for him.

shaggy-dog story
phrase of shaggy

a long, rambling story or joke, typically one that is amusing only because it is absurdly inconsequential or pointless.

Rickon's dire wolf's name is Shaggydog

Norm Macdonald spoiling GOT finale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE6QzDrT_x8

Love Crime fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 28, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Professor Shark posted:

drat killing off Rickon would be dumb as hell, I'm hoping the direction the books are going will mean that at the end of the series, Rickon will be a messed up King of the North of old, basically an illiterate, psychopathic Wildling

I don't see why it should go that way. He's a very minor character. Him becoming King in the North carries no emotional weight for me. I would just shrug.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Love Crime posted:

shaggy-dog story
phrase of shaggy

a long, rambling story or joke, typically one that is amusing only because it is absurdly inconsequential or pointless.

Rickon's dire wolf's name is Shaggydog

Norm Macdonald spoiling GOT finale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE6QzDrT_x8

All part of GRRM's disinformation campaign.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It really seems to me that GRRM just made one too many Stark kids. Fiveish (counting Jon Snow) was already a lot to try to give important plotlines to.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

It really seems to me that GRRM just made one too many Stark kids.

It's always nice to have a spare hanging around in case you lose a couple to betrayal/political hostage taking/cult of faceless assassins/talking tree men.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I think Jon is just as likely to be the feral, savage King by the end of the series. We know that when skinchangers die their consciousness remains within their wolf, and that Jojen warned Bran not to warg into Summer for too long because he'd start to have trouble discerning between himself and the direwolf. Since Jon is presumably going to be stuck in Ghost for a while until someone manages to revive him, he'll probably be pretty wolf-ish by the time he comes back. Long story short, Jon is going to hump someone's leg by the end of the series.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Beeez posted:

Long story short, Jon is going to hump someone's leg by the end of the series.
I presume that with the lack of sex ed at Winterfell, this already happened at the start of his relationship with Ygritte.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

the lannisters send their regards is a better sounding line when spoken.

I like Roose saying the Jamie line better though because it reflects Roose's extremely dry and twisted sense of humor.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's a joke either way.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I know that I've talked to people who think Jaime set it up even with the line changed.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Anyhow. Episode 4 seems to be interesting. Apparently the title is 'Book of the Stranger'. It's also much longer than 1-3 and filming spoilers assign a big Dany scene to it. I think that, since the show likes its Jon/Dany parallels, we have a candidate for when Jon gets resurrected.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Love Crime posted:

You don't even need to go that far, it's like they've never heard of Dexter or True Blood. I refuse to believe there were anything but hatewatchers for its last 3-4 seasons.

From the writer's strike onward all my love for :lost: was corrupted to bitter resentment and eventually hatred. The moment I found out Locke wasn't Locke anymore was the moment I lost my faith in television. Of course I kept watching, just to see how angry I should've been.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Love Crime posted:

You don't even need to go that far, it's like they've never heard of Dexter or True Blood. I refuse to believe there were anything but hatewatchers for its last 3-4 seasons.

I hatewatched The Walking Dead for 3 seasons.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

MrSlam posted:

From the writer's strike onward all my love for :lost: was corrupted to bitter resentment and eventually hatred. The moment I found out Locke wasn't Locke anymore was the moment I lost my faith in television. Of course I kept watching, just to see how angry I should've been.

Same, but I actually wanted to see how they were going to wrap everything in the end. And then in the end I hated it even more and hated myself for watching it

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

It really seems to me that GRRM just made one too many Stark kids. Fiveish (counting Jon Snow) was already a lot to try to give important plotlines to.

Rickon always seemed more of a plot device used for Davos to potentially win over Manderly. I don't think he even says anything in the books, and had maybe two lines in the show (which the actor actually delivered surprisingly well).

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

lezard_valeth posted:

I guess it was a continuity error? Because he was his squire on season 3 (and that was the whole of Loras plot on season 3 lol), and next season he is the pimp master.

The guy was always an agent working for Littlefinger. Assuming he has a limited number of clever, capable agents, it makes sense that one week the dude is just chilling, running the whore house while Littlefinger is out of town, and then next week he's sent to the castle to pose as an assistant for knights practicing in the yard, where he eye fucks Loras to get in bed with him. It's not like he just happened to moonlight in the castle, and but pure luck end up in a position where he can be useful against a noble that Littlefinger decided to screw over.

The evidence against Loras wasn't the best, but that was hardly important. Several characters have said Loras and Renley were the worst kept secret in court, everyone knew what was going on. It's like saying the tax fraud evidence against Capone wasn't sufficient to warrant his sentence.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Lycus posted:

I don't see why it should go that way. He's a very minor character. Him becoming King in the North carries no emotional weight for me. I would just shrug.

I'm guessing there will be some sort of Rickon sighting soon because Sansa has to pass The Last Hearth, where Bran sent his brother and Osha, on her way to The Wall. It seems crazy not to use that. The Umbers are also the only house on the show who were loyal to the Starks and weren't at the Red Wedding and didn't get decimated during the war or by Boltons or Greyjoys. They haven't been on the show since S2, though, so who knows.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

meristem posted:

Rickon dying is kinda necessary for Sansa to take power all for herself, so I'm all for it. Altering the line of succession would be, of course, preferable, but I don't really see that happening in the current political climate of the North.

I, too, root for the death of young children in the name of gender equality in a pretend fantasy setting.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

One thing that's always bugged me is how everyone in King's Landing (and now Mereen) is a spy but we never see things from their perspective. We don't see the spy networks because it gives Littlefinger and Varys this atmosphere of immense power, but I think it's really because it's cumbersome to write.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Ironborn still hold some castles in the North the show, right? Roose sent Theon's penis to his dad demanding that the Greyjoys leave the North which prompted his sister to attempt that terrible rescue mission but Balon didn't leave?

So that would mean it's not just a question of Sansa and/or Rickon vs. the Boltons? Even more justification for getting the gently caress out of Dorne as fast as possible on the show.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

tadashi posted:

I'm guessing there will be some sort of Rickon sighting soon because Sansa has to pass The Last Hearth, where Bran sent his brother and Osha, on her way to The Wall. It seems crazy not to use that. The Umbers are also the only house on the show who were loyal to the Starks and weren't at the Red Wedding and didn't get decimated during the war or by Boltons or Greyjoys. They haven't been on the show since S2, though, so who knows.

I think Smalljon was cast.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I really doubt Rickon will have any big relevance to the story in either books or show

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

tadashi posted:

The Ironborn still hold some castles in the North the show, right? Roose sent Theon's penis to his dad demanding that the Greyjoys leave the North which prompted his sister to attempt that terrible rescue mission but Balon didn't leave?

So that would mean it's not just a question of Sansa and/or Rickon vs. the Boltons? Even more justification for getting the gently caress out of Dorne as fast as possible on the show.

After that, we saw Bolton's take back Moat Cailin, by far the most important thing that they held. The Ironborn attacked the north because their armies were elsewhere, and Bolton has since moved his entire force back into the north, I doubt the Ironborn have more than a handful of holdouts left, if that.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

tadashi posted:

I think some eagle eyes spotted an Umber banner among Ramsay's army in the trailer.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

The guy was always an agent working for Littlefinger. Assuming he has a limited number of clever, capable agents, it makes sense that one week the dude is just chilling, running the whore house while Littlefinger is out of town, and then next week he's sent to the castle to pose as an assistant for knights practicing in the yard, where he eye fucks Loras to get in bed with him. It's not like he just happened to moonlight in the castle, and but pure luck end up in a position where he can be useful against a noble that Littlefinger decided to screw over.

The evidence against Loras wasn't the best, but that was hardly important. Several characters have said Loras and Renley were the worst kept secret in court, everyone knew what was going on. It's like saying the tax fraud evidence against Capone wasn't sufficient to warrant his sentence.

Yeah, the whole point of Loras/Margaery being imprisoned is that it's a kangaroo court, the Faith don't really care about evidence if it means they can bring the major houses under their thumb.

tadashi posted:

We're supposed to see the Karstarks and Umbers soon, plus the episode description for E3 includes "Ramsay receives a gift". Hmmmm.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Lycus posted:

I think some eagle eyes spotted an Umber banner among Ramsay's army in the trailer.

Thanks for the head's up. I saw a lot of buzzfeed-y type rundowns before the season but I guess the actual Buzzfeed has the most robust one.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/make-no-mistake-the-dead-are-coming?utm_term=.bu29rLENpg#.wk26zGMdOJ

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Lycus posted:

You know, GRRM/Westeros could really use a flock of giant eagles.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

I, too, root for the death of young children in the name of gender equality in a pretend fantasy setting.

lol this post

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Narmi posted:

Rickon always seemed more of a plot device used for Davos to potentially win over Manderly. I don't think he even says anything in the books, and had maybe two lines in the show (which the actor actually delivered surprisingly well).

I thought it was pretty horrible in the books at least how hosed up he becomes by being abandoned with Bran in Winterfell when everyone else go south. This little kid reverting to nature, running around with his wolf in the catacombs, that was good writing imo.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!

counterfeitsaint posted:

what

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!
:allears: I, too, believe, that this is cool and good, that if you seriously believe that: Pee Pee Poo Poo Doo Doo

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

counterfeitsaint posted:

Funny as it may be, this seems to be the angle the show is going for this season, what with that EW interview about the powerful women in Westeros.

Throw the Dorne patricide plot into the mix and I'm starting to suspect Tumblr wrote this season

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 29, 2016

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

In It For The Tank posted:

In addition to what bobjr said, it seems likely that Rickon is "the gift" that Ramsay will receive in Episode 3, according to the Episode 3 synopsis.

huh that is sort of sad, but makes sense. Sounds like this is the season of pruning plot lines. D&D were probably like:

D&D: So George, tell us again what happens with Rickon? We reread our notes and they didn't make sense.
GRRM: Well, remember in Robin Hood at the end when King Richard shows up?
D&D: Right - good to have the old king back!
GRRM: Well, Rickon has been off training in martial ways with some cannibals, raises an Army, and returns to conquer Westeros
D&D: Oh ok, is there any set up, or does he just roll in all Deus Ex
GRRM: (Chuckling ) no set up at all! and to top if off, everyone has frozen to death during the long winter!
D&D: ...
GRRM: I know right! It is a bit of an inside joke amongst some writer friends and I. Wouldn't it be great to create all these wonderful heroes and conflicts and then just have them die from the cold. So the last POV is all Rickon training up like Rocky, and then he and his army arrive and everyone is dead. It's a ShaggyDog story, right? I mean I even named his dog..
D&D: yeah ok. we get it. dick.
GRRM: But i mean seriously, did anyone actually think the world could survive like 10 years of winter? How ridiculous is that, of course they all died!
D&D: ( notes to self: We are killing that little poo poo, throw him to the loving Boltons )

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I'm sorry but there's only one kind of hypothetical conversation allowed in this thread:

quote:

"We had an assistant named Dave Hill," said Benioff and Weiss. "One day last summer he walked into our office and said, 'You know that kid (Rickon) whose family gets massacred by the Freys? The one who runs to Last Hearth to hide from the Boltons that are nearby?' 'Yeah?' 'Well,' said Dave, 'Doesn't it make sense that he's get captured by Ramsay and held hostage to keep the northern lords in check? What else is he going to do?' 'You're right,' we said, 'That does does make sense.' 'And what if during the Battle of Winterfell, Ramsay murders him in front of Jon so that Sansa can be Queen in the North?' This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show."

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 29, 2016

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
"We had an assistant named Dave Hill," said Benioff and Weiss. "One day last summer he walked into our office and said, 'You know that guy (Dave Hill) who does the lore videos and brings you coffee? The one who runs to David and Dan to tell them Olly should kill Ygritte?' 'Yeah?' 'Well,' said Dave, 'doesn't it make sense that he'd stay on the show and become a writer? What else is he going to do?' 'You're right,' we said. 'That does make sense.' 'And what if during season 5, he's the one who ends up taking all the blame?' This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show."

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

kcroy posted:

huh that is sort of sad, but makes sense. Sounds like this is the season of pruning plot lines. D&D were probably like:

D&D: So George, tell us again what happens with Rickon? We reread our notes and they didn't make sense.
GRRM: Well, remember in Robin Hood at the end when King Richard shows up?
D&D: Right - good to have the old king back!
GRRM: Well, Rickon has been off training in martial ways with some cannibals, raises an Army, and returns to conquer Westeros

D&D: But Rickon is still 4 years old, you fat idiot.

Ague Proof posted:

"We had an assistant named Dave Hill," said Benioff and Weiss. "One day last summer he walked into our office and said, 'You know that guy (Dave Hill) who does the lore videos and brings you coffee? The one who runs to David and Dan to tell them Olly should kill Ygritte?' 'Yeah?' 'Well,' said Dave, 'doesn't it make sense that he'd stay on the show and become a writer? What else is he going to do?' 'You're right,' we said. 'That does make sense.' 'And what if during season 5, he's the one who ends up taking all the blame?' This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show."

LMAO. Laughed a long time at this.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

It's the Bran scene in the official episode 2 teaser video. He has a vision of Winterfell. It's Benjen and Ned sparring/fighting when they were children. A girl comes into the scene. It's Lyanna Stark. She says to Benjen "Who are you going to fight with when Ned leaves?"
Bran tells BR that he sees his family. The scene continues. Benjen answers "I don't know who I'll fight with. Maybe that kid?" He points to a tall fat kid. It's Hodor, but his name is WILLAS. Yep not Walder.
Lyanna says "You can't fight with him. He's not noble." Willas sees talking about him and wants to join but he can't. Someone who looks like his mother tells him that he's not going to fight. You're not going to be a fighter. (?) Benjen says "You're huge. You should be a fighter/rider."
BR interrupts the scene and calls him back. If he stays any longer it could be dangerous. "If you stay for too long you can die/drown."
Bran comes out of the vision. Bran says "If I wasn't drowning/dying then I was... Home." The episode is called Home.
Meera is outside. Bran calls her and tells to enter. BR says that it's dangerous to stay outside too long. Meera is unconvinced.
A cotf goes to her "You need to come inside. You need to help Bran."
Meera says "Why should I come inside? To watch him dream and have visions?" She feels useless.
Back under the tree Bran sees Hodor. "I saw you talk Hodor.. What happened to you? What happened?" And to shock the world....
Hodor responds with "Hodor."
The scene goes to Castle Black. It's Thorne breaking into the room. Davos says his I've never been a fighter line from the trailer and that's it.

first scene of ep2

• Locked thread