Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Microwaves Mom posted:

Does that mean we'll see ghostbusters first?

Yeah, GB is July 15 and SS is Aug 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah, GB is July 15 and SS is Aug 5.

ahahahahahaha
Both are being put out by Sony aren't they?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Microwaves Mom posted:

ahahahahahaha
Both are being put out by Sony aren't they?

Suicide Squad is WB, GB is Columbia/Sony

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i saw the first xmen movie and it was okay so ive never seen another since and it all looks really dumb/a great way to take money from sad nerds s

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Superhero stories are just the modern take on the Heroic Epic and we are finally rising above of the 20th century's depressing idea that bleak realism is the only truly acceptable form of fiction, imo.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Suicide Squad is WB, GB is Columbia/Sony

oh well at least it wont be a massive faillure for one studio.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Does robo-Thor blow a hole in that other guys chest and Punisher mercilessly gun down surrendering villains like in the comic?

(Which is also cool+good)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
No, clone robot-brain retard-Thor is not in this film

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

maxhush posted:

Does robo-Thor blow a hole in that other guys chest and Punisher mercilessly gun down surrendering villains like in the comic?

(Which is also cool+good)

Na, Punisher is in the Daredevil series on netflix tho, he owns

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Flesh Forge posted:

No, clone robot-brain retard-Thor is not in this film

comic books once again confirmed as the superior medium

.....for children, that is!!!!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

notZaar posted:

OK well I wasn't comparing them movie to movie, that wouldn't be fair. But how hard is it to find good action choreographers and decent camera operators? Why does every fight scene need to consist of 3 second takes glued together by 12 layers of GCI?

The second captain america has sweet cinematography for most of the movie imo

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Aesop Poprock posted:

The second captain america has sweet cinematography for most of the movie imo

The fight scenes and settings are extremely boring though. Unless you really like grey office buildings.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

That's like the definition of propaganda.

Idiot

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Blue Train posted:

was age of uiltron the one with the raccoon and in the climax the white guy tries to look tough by saying something something something, BITCH? if so it was trash

that's the second best comic book movie

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

that's the second best comic book movie

that's a shame

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Dredd was a drat good action movie based on a comic book, and it's a shame that they didn't even make their money back on it.

edit: oh wow, they had a smaller budget than deadpool. I totally thought this was a $100million movie.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 1, 2016

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like super hero movies

naem
May 29, 2011

The_Rob posted:

The fight scenes and settings are extremely boring though. Unless you really like grey office buildings.

The fight scene in the elevator where friends all turn on him and he has one hand tied behind his back as he fights his way out of the building facing bigger and bigger threats cumulates in him punching out a fighter jet to death while ramping a motorcycle, it is the single best fight scene in any movie, ever. It's pure super hero.

I went into winter soldier expecting nothing and was just completely blown away

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Airborne Viking posted:

Dredd was a drat good action movie based on a comic book, and it's a shame that they didn't even make their money back on it.

edit: oh wow, they had a smaller budget than deadpool. I totally thought this was a $100million movie.

The 1995 Stallone Judge Dredd film had a budget of $90 million, maybe you were thinking of that one??? :v:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

naem posted:

cumulates in him punching out a fighter jet to death while ramping a motorcycle, it is the single best fight scene in any movie, ever

jumping the shark is not only desirable but also the best scene ever :coal:

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I heard they're petitioning Netflix to do a Dredd sequel.

Worse things have happened, and if it gets made it might turn out to be good

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blue Train posted:

Maybe you're confusing it with the Die Hard 4 scene where Bruce Willis punches a helicopter with a car?

naem
May 29, 2011

Blue Train posted:

The thing is it was GOOD lol

They did all the work to demonstrate how badass the black uniform guys were, showed cap's confusion because they were his friends, gosh this elevator is getting pretty crowded, and then nonstop action escalation and a perfect payoff

Cap's not that super either, he just has a +1 to all his stats- so they really demonstrated a threat to him and he's got just enough mojo to escape. You felt that danger the whole time. People jumped up and cheered in the theater which I've never seen

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

naem posted:

The fight scene in the elevator where friends all turn on him and he has one hand tied behind his back as he fights his way out of the building facing bigger and bigger threats cumulates in him punching out a fighter jet to death while ramping a motorcycle, it is the single best fight scene in any movie, ever. It's pure super hero.

I went into winter soldier expecting nothing and was just completely blown away

Winter Soldier owned since it didn't have any CGI aliens or other otherworldly threats. It just lots of great good old fashioned beat down scenes.

naem
May 29, 2011

etalian posted:

Winter Soldier owned since it didn't have any CGI aliens or other otherworldly threats. It just lots of great good old fashioned beat down scenes.

The opening scene where cartoon man and the commando guys are jumping out of a plane and he doesn't use a parachute really set the mood, then they're clearing a ship of bad guys and he's doing flips and bonking people because he's captain +1 strength/dexterity- it's just so satisfying to watch

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

naem posted:

The opening scene where cartoon man and the commando guys are jumping out of a plane and he doesn't use a parachute really set the mood, then they're clearing a ship of bad guys and he's doing flips and bonking people because he's captain +1 strength/dexterity- it's just so satisfying to watch

People mentioned the elevator fight scene, it rocks because there's so much tension going into the scene and Captain America realizes that it's a ambush.

Was also good film since it at least mixed things up from the standard super villain trying to destroy the world, it was more about what happens when trusted institutions get corrupted.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
the agents of shield tie in was a neat idea, but I don't watch agents of shield. how did it turn out for the show?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Airborne Viking posted:

the agents of shield tie in was a neat idea, but I don't watch agents of shield. how did it turn out for the show?

I couldn't get into it since it had the repetitive monster of the week format and all the smug young genius characters that Joss Whedon likes to overuse.

Supposedly gets better for later seasons

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
So wait in iron man 2 Tony is all "gently caress you government dad you can't have my toy suit" then in age of ultron Tony builds a robot that tries to extinct humanity. In the first avengers movie we find out that the reason why aliens are even attacking is because the U.S. government is making alien super weapons and in Cap 2 the government is pretty much taken over.

So uh....... Why is anyone listening to Stark or the Government they're like the main instigators of all the problems the world faces idgi

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Na'at posted:

So wait in iron man 2 Tony is all "gently caress you government dad you can't have my toy suit" then in age of ultron Tony builds a robot that tries to extinct humanity. In the first avengers movie we find out that the reason why aliens are even attacking is because the U.S. government is making alien super weapons and in Cap 2 the government is pretty much taken over.

So uh....... Why is anyone listening to Stark or the Government they're like the main instigators of all the problems the world faces idgi

They blamed it all on the Nazis/Hydra/the late Senator Garry Shandling

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

etalian posted:

I couldn't get into it since it had the repetitive monster of the week format and all the smug young genius characters that Joss Whedon likes to overuse.

Confirming that AoS gets better in later seasons and it picked up SIGNIFICANTLY in the latter part of that season. I liked some of the "monster of the week" stuff but having a fixed, main enemy like HYDRA helped that show a lot.

I hate that so many people gave up on it early because there have been some genuinely amazing performances / episodes but it was really slow to start.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

etalian posted:

The show gets a lot better at the very minute they tie into Winter Soldier. Apparently they had to write around that big event, never naming /introducing Hydra. At the same time, despite an overall blandness in the first batch of episodes, there is a ton of stuff that builds off of those initial character traits in a way that makes sense.

Agents of Shield is a good show. It doesn't compare with Daredevil or Jessica Jones, because those shows are self-contained and don't have to sweat about the next movie.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Shinjobi posted:

The show gets a lot better at the very minute they tie into Winter Soldier. Apparently they had to write around that big event, never naming /introducing Hydra. At the same time, despite an overall blandness in the first batch of episodes, there is a ton of stuff that builds off of those initial character traits in a way that makes sense.

Agents of Shield is a good show. It doesn't compare with Daredevil or Jessica Jones, because those shows are self-contained and don't have to sweat about the next movie.
I like the show mostly because the cast is really likable and have great chemistry together

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
America worshipping a blue eyed blonde Ubermensch. Hitler won.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
hydra did nothing wrong

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

I like the show mostly because the cast is really likable and have great chemistry together

:agreed:

If you had told me after episode one that Jemma
Simmons would be the most dynamic and interesting character on that show I would legit have had difficulty telling you who that was, but here we are.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

hydra did nothing wrong

I agree with this post unironically and am double posting without shame because cut off one head and two shall take its place, Hail HYDRA

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

jfc

• Locked thread