Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I just read that Shadow of the Beast releases this month, that's cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7ozYyRKn1E&t=52s

Palpek fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Been playing Dark Souls 2 before I spend money on 3.

Man its not nearly as good as 1,3, or even Demons.
Like, it feels like I imagine a knockoff version of Dark Souls would be like if they weren't garbage like lords of the fallen.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Did you play 3 or not, I'm confused.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Given the specific phrasing "spend money" I assume they played during one of the betas, or at a friend's house, or via Crimes

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

calm down, sherlock, the detective. hahah

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Problem Sleuth posted:

hey what is your guys' recommendation for a game that's fun to play when I'm tired and don't want to think too much?
As dumb as it is, I used to play the infinite modes on games like Bejeweled, Chuzzle or Dynomite when I didn't want to think of anything and also didn't want to react fast. Something about just exploding jewels/furballs/eggs boringly can be soothing for a while. I guess Peggle scratches that itch too. I don't much do any of that anymore since I got a tablet but it used to be a way to unwind.

The various 'cookie clicker' type 'games' like Adventure Capitalist also sometimes satisfy when you really want to see numbers go up but not much else. Though all of this usually just ends up being background for bullshitting in chat or watching YouTube or something.

If you're not so tired you can't aim and shoot then any old FPS you have set on the easiest setting might work. Same goes for Bethesda type games from say Fallout 3 onward since on the easiest end of the slider you can more or less wander around killing with impunity.

Or if you want to just gently caress around but see stuff that's familiar but also unknown, whatever the current Doom engine replacement is usually has a bunch of servers in co-op mode just playing random rear end levels. I forget which one is the good one anymore, I remember Skulltag and Zandronum and Zdoom and they may be all old and busted by now. There was also a program that tried to do the Quakeworld thing which I bookmarked but never got around to trying.

Oh and if you picked it up at one point Chime is a good relax game, if you're not trying to actually do well at it. Or anything like Dyad where you can be more tripping out watching the colors than trying to beat it

These of course can all be lovely suggestions depending on your personal preference, but what do you want from an effort post about low effort games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Palpek posted:

I just read that Shadow of the Beast releases this month, that's cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7ozYyRKn1E&t=52s

I want this to be good because I have fond memories of the original, even though it sucked, and I like the art style.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Been playing Dark Souls 2 before I spend money on 3.

Man its not nearly as good as 1,3, or even Demons.
Like, it feels like I imagine a knockoff version of Dark Souls would be like if they weren't garbage like lords of the fallen.

i enjoyed 2 more than 1, but that's just one poor man's opinion

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Looper posted:

i enjoyed 2 more than 1, but that's just one man's poor opinion

Seriously though they're all good games.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I hope everybody has a wonderful day today. bad things might happen, tough times ahead, sad feelings and bad vibes, but I promise, push through it, things will always get better

have a good day :)

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

oddium posted:

calm down, sherlock, the detective. hahah

don't dox my video game habits

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Sakurazuka posted:

I want this to be good because I have fond memories of the original, even though it sucked, and I like the art style.
I like the idea of controlling an alien against other aliens instead of human vs aliens. I liked that about Oddworld too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

No, there is over an hour of cutscenes in a game that takes 2-3 hours to beat on average.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvQMQAmX8OI

OH I thought you meant shovel knight. Nevermind, I've never played duck tales

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Looper posted:

i enjoyed 2 more than 1, but that's just one poor man's opinion

ds2 is one of those games where half the stuff is really cool and interesting and half the stuff is really stupid, so you walk out of it with a strong opinion that you either really liked it or really hated it

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've played over a hundred hours of ds2, and biggest reason I think it's not as good as 1 or 3 is the areas. Every time I play ds2, I find myself always being like "Oh this area's lame" at like every area. Earthen peak, iron fortress, gutter, dragon shrine, huntsman's copse... Of course this is just personal taste, but feeling like I just want to get past a bunch of areas makes the game less enjoyable.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Its weird cause I'm only halfway through DS3 and all the areas so far feel a little dull up to Smouldering Lake

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

StashAugustine posted:

Its weird cause I'm only halfway through DS3 and all the areas so far feel a little dull up to Smouldering Lake

Yeah, I guess it just a matter of personal taste. I really liked Castle Lothric. Which I'm pretty sure is accessible before smouldering lake. The Dungeon of Irythill is a cool area, even though I hated being in it because the sound design was stomach churning. I also liked undead settlement. Cathedral of the Deep was okay. I liked it more than most ds2 areas because of its shortcut based hub design. I'm a real sucker for that type of thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DS3 was so grey all the way through, the actual levels looked cool but the lack of colour palette made everything seem samey after a while.
I think Ithiryll was the only place with colour and that just replaced grey with blue.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What kinda stuff is really stupid in dark souls 2?

All I've seen from it made it seem like a good game, levels not flowing together as well as dark souls 1's but other than that it seemed fine?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Cathedral was pretty cool and probably my favorite level so far but visually it's Anor Londo But Blue. Haven't been to Castle Lothric or Irythill yet

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

DS3 was so grey all the way through, the actual levels looked cool but the lack of colour palette made everything seem samey after a while.
I think Ithiryll was the only place with colour and that just replaced grey with blue.

Huh, I actually thought ds3 had a great color palette. I kind of know what you mean though, somehow.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can see what they were going for, everything looks like ash or dying ember orange, but it doesn't make it look any more interesting.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
disclaimer: I've only ever seen people streaming dark souls 2

no-man's wharf seemed kinda disappointing since I thought you were gonna spend more time going through ship graveyards and stuff but instead the area looked more like filler and padding

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FirstAidKite posted:

All I've seen from it made it seem like a good game, levels not flowing together as well as dark souls 1's but other than that it seemed fine?

The durability bug. Soul Memory. Splitting the community with SotFS (and making people rebuy the game for a patch).

It's a great game, but those are some of the issues I remember.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I thought scholar of the first sin was a greatest hits version that included all the dlc

what was the durability bug? what was the problem with soul memory?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

There's too much of everything (areas, stats, weapons, armor and especially bosses) so it's missing the refinement of the short and sweet designs in DS1/BB.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

I thought scholar of the first sin was a greatest hits version that included all the dlc

what was the durability bug? what was the problem with soul memory?

Durability bug got patched so it's a moot point. But soul memory was the way they tried to stop low level invasions, where every soul you ever collected, whether spent or not, would affect how you were placed into the online pools. It was kind of a brokenly annoying system, since there was no repeat use invasion item, so you would have to grind for them, unintentionally forcing you out of the invasion range where you'd be competitive.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The durability bug has been patched now at least but it took it getting released on the current consoles after it had been in the PC version for like a year lol.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Holy poo poo I love Crypt of the Necrodancer.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They also "fixed" that too by letting you opt out of it, strangely enough.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Holy poo poo I love Crypt of the Necrodancer.

It's good but it's too hard for me and I'll never see beyond the second zone. :(

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I liked the small bit of necrodancer i played and i will return to it some day

til then, maybe i will play titan quest with the new patches!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FirstAidKite posted:

It is, but it isn't compatible with the release version.

quote:

hat was the durability bug?
The higher your frame rate, the faster your weapons degrade. FROM are bad at PC games, and this was how they implemented it in DS2.

quote:

what was the problem with soul memory?
It was meant to make PvP fairer (since you could exploit the SL based matchmaking in DS1), but it made made legit matchmaking worse. Hard to say it was an improvement.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Now if only From would fix the Poise issue in DS3.

FirstAidKite posted:

til then, maybe i will play titan quest with the new patches!

I didn't know there was a new patch for that. If you haven't yet you should check out Grim Dawn their newer Diablo-esque game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ahundredbux posted:

don't dox my video game habits

we're dealing with a real psycho alright. a psycho mantis that is. [gamers in the crowd hoot and holler]

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Don't you think it's a little weird that we have an entire subforum now to discuss Star Citizen, and there are people with literally thousands of posts about everything related to this unreleased game, including weirdly personal speculation about the private lives of the developers? And that many of them spend hours out of every day poring over the internet for every little bit of information they can find instead of say, playing video games or reading a book or something? I dunno, I'm sure they're just cool dudes who are definitely not severely mentally ill or depressed in any way.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It's not a place to discuss Star Citizen as much as shitpost constantly though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Necrodancer is too hard for me but you can beat it with a character that ignores rhythm if you want

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't need any special subforum to shitpost constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's cool that it's still a good roguelike even without the rhythm elements.

• Locked thread