Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dead Goon posted:

It has probably been asked before, but what is NOC?

Independents?
No Overall Control.

It can also be Number of Children, which is apt for some councils.

e: 1948 - Natural Gas and Rail are nationalized, as is the British Mandate of Palestine in a more different way.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Because a lot of the issues with poor performing schools can be laid at the feet of the LEA's so you would be throwing good money after bad and it's more difficult to fix the LEA's from the national level than it is to just cut them out of the process. An awful lot of councils are hide bound, bureaucratic messes that are run like petty fiefdoms or ideological regimes that just don't have the people in the places that can actually do any good. I used to work in a council that was in the top 20% of councils and if that shitshow was one of the better ones the bad ones would be like The Office but worse.

...in which case merely taking the problem schools out of a chronically broken LEA's control is a half-baked measure.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

LemonDrizzle posted:

No Overall Control.

Guavanaut posted:

No Overall Control.

It can also be Number of Children, which is apt for some councils.

Oh, okay. Simple as that, thanks.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Kegluneq posted:

Generous Jeremy and Nice Nicky, ex nihilo, decide to grant undeserving doctors and teachers respect beyond what they are entitled to. This was all David's clever plan all along you see, and therefore TIBFJC.

UKMT May 2016: DCFADP, TIBFJC

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Sadiq Khan saying generic poo poo like that isn't really a cause for concern.

It's when he actually does something that goes against common sense is what I'm more concerned about.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Hoops posted:

Remember at the start when people disagreed with Corbyn, he just went "yeah, it's fine, people can have their own opinion, I want an inclusive party where people aren't told what to think". And that it would be a very democratic party that isn't entirely dominated by the leader.

It feels like that message has been dropped in the last few months. It may be that that is the party he's still intends to have, but if that explanation isn't being pitched publically anymore then it's made it easier to paint these disagreements as a civil war. By dropping it he's allowed the old mindset to remain that him having rebels in the party is a sign of weakness as a leader.

Thing is so much of this stuff isn't done in good faith or a spirit of respectful debate, it's done in a deliberate attempt to undermine the leader. I think the anti-semitism thing in particular illustrates this - Corbyn responded quickly and seriously to Ken's idiotic ramblings, but it was still an issue for weeks, fed by the Labour right. If they'd acted in good faith, and were genuinely concerned about antisemitism, they would have praised Corbyn's actions rather than griping about them as a lot of them did. A lot of MPs also seemed to suddenly discover that antisemitism was an issue after Corbyn was elected, and I don't think it's unreasonable to see that as an indication of bad faith. A leader who tolerates the kind of shenanigans we've seen simply is a weak leader. Not that he has a great deal of choice, of course - his position in the PLP isn't such that he can effectively deal with a lot of this (hence a lot of the people who made his life difficult over Syria are still in place).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Extreme0 posted:

Sadiq Khan saying generic poo poo like that isn't really a cause for concern.

It's when he actually does something that goes against common sense is what I'm more concerned about.

khan deciding to take on a case against the met while being london mayor would be really funny

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

OvineYeast posted:

Thing is so much of this stuff isn't done in good faith or a spirit of respectful debate, it's done in a deliberate attempt to undermine the leader. I think the anti-semitism thing in particular illustrates this - Corbyn responded quickly and seriously to Ken's idiotic ramblings, but it was still an issue for weeks, fed by the Labour right. If they'd acted in good faith, and were genuinely concerned about antisemitism, they would have praised Corbyn's actions rather than griping about them as a lot of them did. A lot of MPs also seemed to suddenly discover that antisemitism was an issue after Corbyn was elected, and I don't think it's unreasonable to see that as an indication of bad faith. A leader who tolerates the kind of shenanigans we've seen simply is a weak leader. Not that he has a great deal of choice, of course - his position in the PLP isn't such that he can effectively deal with a lot of this (hence a lot of the people who made his life difficult over Syria are still in place).

The PLP are right though. Blairites have done an amazing job in stretching to all voters and showcasing that what they say and do works.

Oh...

Jose posted:

khan deciding to take on a case against the met while being london mayor would be really funny

"MUSLIM DARES TO UNDERMINE OUR POLICE"

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Clive Lewis on Daily Politics today saying 'after the elections sky hasn't fallen in and Sadiq was basically right that it's nice to appeal to lots of people'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03tj0k4

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Labour are absolutely crushing Bristol city council, gaining seven seats and overall control with a few left to declare. They also missed out on a conservative seat by ONE vote.

This means Labour finish the elections controlling the same number of councils, and losing at most 16 seats.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Disaster as failing Corbyn fails to make gains at elections

etc etc

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

OvineYeast posted:

A leader who tolerates the kind of shenanigans we've seen simply is a weak leader. Not that he has a great deal of choice, of course - his position in the PLP isn't such that he can effectively deal with a lot of this (hence a lot of the people who made his life difficult over Syria are still in place).

Note that even if he wasn't tolerant of this kind of thing he'd still catch poo poo for it, see the months immediately following his election when you could see journos warming up their purge/Stalin analogies in expectation of an ideological house cleaning that never materialised.

Although given that, yeah, I'd probably prefer if he had somehow managed to ship the whole of the PLP to Siberia.

Extreme0 posted:

The PLP are right though. Blairites have done an amazing job in stretching the truth and being all things to all people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJAUBy9HkKI

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the reshuffle that did come was about as mild as it possibly could've been and involved giving the boot to people who were apparently leaking stuff from ongoing shadow cabinet meetings to the press, and even then it promoted a fairly big media backlash

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Peter Kosminsky just called out the Tories and made a speech on how the BBC and Channel 4 should be protected from them.

Huge audience appluse as well.

haakman
May 5, 2011

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Some academy chains might invest some cash in the schools but that is not a given as some chains seem to be in it for how large a salary they can pay the staff of the chain (like a certain chain in Norfolk)

Rhymes-ish with Lollapalooza?

The stories I could tell about that particular person - what's it called when you bang your way to the top?

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

Extreme0 posted:

Peter Kosminsky just called out the Tories and made a speech on how the BBC and Channel 4 should be protected from them.

Huge audience appluse as well.

Will make no difference, people are always saying that and the Tories will do whatever they want with them.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Alan BStard posted:

Will make no difference, people are always saying that and the Tories will do whatever they want with them.

Of course it won't. But hey more disapproval voiced on National Televsion on a Award Ceremony viewed across the world, the better.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Likewise the writer from "Don't Take My Baby" used his speech to say that government attacks on Disability Living Allowance were unacceptable and must be stopped ASAP to huge applause.

Also Geoffrey Tambor giving a speech praising Transparent for its contributions to helping people realise being transgender is acceptable and courageous to come out as being what makes it so inspiring to work on.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Likewise the writer from "Don't Take My Baby" used his speech to say that government attacks on Disability Living Allowance were unacceptable and must be stopped ASAP to huge applause.

Also Geoffrey Tambor giving a speech praising Transparent for its contributions to helping people realise being transgender is acceptable and courageous to come out as being what makes it so inspiring to work on.

Liberal Luvvies Attack Austerity

The story will just be a moral outrage piece about how actors think they can use celeb status to push their views on people.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 8, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

HIGNFY also won and Ian Hislop used it for a Bully Pulpit.

Hot drat if the BAFTAs are usually this "gently caress you Tories" I might sign right up to this poo poo.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Tesseraction posted:

Hot drat if the BAFTAs are usually this "gently caress you Tories" I might sign right up to this poo poo.

so that'll be the BAFTAS about to be made illegal then

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
It's sometimes easy to forget that a huge amount of showbiz is unionised.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
From the front page of tomorrow's FT:

Between this and the suggestion that if we vote to Leave we could be just like Serbia or Albania, I'm starting to think that Gove is a secret Remainer who has infiltrated the Leave campaign in order to discredit it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Seems unlikely as that would require the ability to put the needs of something greater before his own petty ambitions, and we're talking about Gove here.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I like George Galloway's idea where we leave and then send George Galloway to Iran.

e: tbh it's mostly the second bit but I'm not sure if we can just do the second bit or not.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 8, 2016

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Cerebral Bore posted:

Seems unlikely as that would require the ability to put the needs of something greater before his own petty ambitions, and we're talking about Gove here.

I'm pretty sure that Gove is completely sincere when he talks about his belief that Britain would be better off outside the EU, I'm still at a loss to understand why he thinks what he does though. He's certainly not done much of a job explaining himself to the public thus far.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure that Gove wants Britain to leave the EU because he thinks that it'll give him a shot at becoming PM.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'm pretty sure that Gove is completely sincere when he talks about his belief that Britain would be better off outside the EU, I'm still at a loss to understand why he thinks what he does though. He's certainly not done much of a job explaining himself to the public thus far.

Because Britain is Great. He had a whole syllabus based around it

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Cerebral Bore posted:

I'm pretty sure that Gove wants Britain to leave the EU because he thinks that it'll give him a shot at becoming PM.

That's the only reason Boris is on that side, but going by his work at Education Gove is just delusional.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's the only reason Boris is on that side, but going by his work at Education Gove is just delusional.

Well, I don't think anybody has accused Gove of being smart.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellMP/status/729348214177009664

Looks like someone is getting a bit sick of ignoring the snipes from Blairites.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

LemonDrizzle posted:

From the front page of tomorrow's FT:

Between this and the suggestion that if we vote to Leave we could be just like Serbia or Albania, I'm starting to think that Gove is a secret Remainer who has infiltrated the Leave campaign in order to discredit it.

Would require believing Gove to be competent, which I've never seen any evidence for.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Puntification posted:

Would require believing Gove to be competent, which I've never seen any evidence for.

As I recall, hasn't his time as Justice Secretary chiefly consisted of rolling back all of Chris Grayling's terrible, terrible ideas? I mean, there's the whole 'British Bill of Rights' white elephant, but I don't think anyone's taking that seriously or investing much in the way of resources in it.

Speaking of, has anyone bothered examining his proposed prison reforms?

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
^^^ yeah beat

Puntification posted:

He's actually doing alright as justice secretary, has won support after undoing the damage done by his predecessor Chris Grayling. It's hard to believe he's the same bumbling idiot who made such a hash of education, really.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

How to succeed as Justice Secretary in one day

"Yo, everything Grayling did? Put it back how it was. Peace out"

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellMP/status/729348214177009664

Looks like someone is getting a bit sick of ignoring the snipes from Blairites.

https://twitter.com/CarolineFlintMP/status/729392602026512384

"Hold on" apparently means something completely different to "hang on".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well it kind of does, you hold on to a dog, you hang on to a ledge.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Blairites should be held.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

EvilGenius posted:

^^^ yeah beat

He's actually doing alright as justice secretary, has won support after undoing the damage done by his predecessor Chris Grayling. It's hard to believe he's the same bumbling idiot who made such a hash of education, really.

A lot of Tory supporters are in the legal profession I feel like it wasn't his insightful leadership that precipitated those decisions. But then that might be the fact a poo poo load of friends and family members are in teaching speaking.

Guavanaut posted:

Blairites should be held.

under water until dead? I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/CarolineFlintMP/status/729392602026512384

"Hold on" apparently means something completely different to "hang on".

I'm pretty sure it's the words before that he takes exception to being rewritten.

What he said: "We will hold on"

What she quoted: "We are looking to hang on"

One is a defiant claim in the face of dire predictions, the other is announcing your only intention is to try to cling on to your existing seats. It's admittedly a petty thing to cause a twitter spat about, but McDonnell is clearly getting tired of every single thing he can possibly say being wrong. He obviously threw himself into the election and they achieved a good result, now he has to deal with his MPs saying in the face of predicted Armageddon he deliberately set the bar too low? gently caress that.

• Locked thread