Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

lezard_valeth posted:

Two episodes in a row without Sand Snakes can be counted as a win, though next episode is Iron Island Plot, so preemptively setting my expectations very low.

Euron and Yarasha are pretty cool characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Her name is Yarashion and you will not call her different.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Euron fingerbangs Yara upon meeting her.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Which character has the most characters fused together to cut down story, like are they turning Ellaria Sand into basically the Arianne role now?

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

nooneofconsequence posted:

Didn't they make Yara also a lesbian for this season or was a teaser I watched wrong and I'm confusing it with my dreams

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

nooneofconsequence posted:

First the "Seastone Chair" was changed to "Salt Throne" and now D&D have renamed the finger dance.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

First the "Seastone Chair" was changed to "Salt Throne" and now D&D have renamed the finger dance.

I like to believe it became the Salt Throne entirely to make ironic amounts of people being salty over it.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

lezard_valeth posted:

Two episodes in a row without Sand Snakes can be counted as a win, though next episode is Iron Island Plot, so preemptively setting my expectations very low.

Although it points out that Ellaria and the Snakes are ruling Dorne, which is retarded

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I can't want for Bernie Sanders Pope Francis The High Sparrow to drag out Sandor for the fight and we get Cleganebowl. And with Tommen on board for the sept trial, we all know this is so happening.

I just want the Hound to knock the Mountain's head off, the helmet flies off, and the head lands at Cersei's feet and reveals it's Joffrey's purpled head. The show's Nightmare Fuel segment in TV Tropes has been pretty quite lately

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

This needs to be on every page.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Ague Proof posted:

Euron will show Yara his squeaky hinge.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

The Unnamed One posted:

Although it points out that Ellaria and the Snakes are ruling Dorne, which is retarded

I hate how they fused Arianne Martell with Ellaria Sand

What, by the end of this show, is a bastard going to be on every throne?

Then again Gurm really hates nobility and religion so Jon saying "he saw nothing" seemed like what Gurm will make him say about dying so him putting bastards on the thrones of everything makes sense to what Gurm would want.

I pretty much am on the "none of the prophecies are true, people are just full of poo poo and self-fulfill them" train

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Book-Jon should remember his second life as Ghost. He's not a warg on the show.

There are too many prophecies where the people predicting/observing them have nothing to do with what's going to happen for all of them to be bullshit.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I like to believe it became the Salt Throne entirely to make ironic amounts of people being salty over it.

I hope so.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 9, 2016

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

I hope so.

It's also a better name, Seastone Chair sounds really stupid, Salt Throne has better parallels to the Iron Throne.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zVxTeflon posted:

None of them poo poo/pissed themselves immersion ruined

I was hoping they would get the sword. seeing olly and thorne go they way of slyt.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Didn't they make Yara also a lesbian for this season or was a teaser I watched wrong and I'm confusing it with my dreams

No I remember her kissing a girl in one of the trailers too. HBO demanded it, I'm sure.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

C-SPAN Caller posted:

It's also a better name, Seastone Chair sounds really stupid,

Cause finger dance doesn't sound really stupid either!

While reading I assumed it was an intentional lorecraft thing that the Iron Born sucked at naming stuff.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

Cause finger dance doesn't sound really stupid either!

While reading I assumed it was an intentional lorecraft thing that the Iron Born sucked at naming stuff.

I don't know, Pyke is a pretty cool name for their capital, and Greyjoy is a cool name along with all the older house names.

I think Gurm just thought of a dumb name and ran with it.

Also at least Gurm doesn't make his characters say "swive" because man I hate that word a lot.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

WampaLord posted:

No I remember her kissing a girl in one of the trailers too. HBO demanded it, I'm sure.

I'm glad we remember what really matters. And who cares, show Yara is way better than book Asha.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I was hoping they would get the sword. seeing olly and thorne go they way of slyt.

If a Stark beheads someone early on in the season, they'll be betrayed and killed by the end. See: Ned, Robb and Jon himself. He's learned pattern recognition.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I really wanted to see him die in a really nasty way, and the only other character I wanted to see die in said fashion in the show was Joffrey.

It baffles me that the show can make really hateable little shits, but the adult villains are all camp narm.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 9, 2016

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

This episode just kind of...existed. I checked the time during the end hanging scene and legitimately expected it to be only like half over but nope roll credits.

RIP Thorne. He was the best, his actor was the best, and he had the best speech of the whole show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XAk2hpuAQI

Also the Olly hate is weird.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 9, 2016

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

I really wanted to see him die in a really nasty way, and the only other character I wanted to see die in said fashion in the show was Joffrey.

It baffles me that the show can make really hateable little shits, but the adult villains are all camp narm.

I think Anakin from Star Wars ruined us

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

WampaLord posted:

It's better than the books. This replaces her bizarre rape roleplay with Qarl the maid.
Don't forget Dany (the gently caress, GRRM?) and Cersei's "myrish swamp."

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I think Anakin from Star Wars ruined us

He also ruined dual-wielding, but GoT made that the best part of the Tower of Joy.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Morrow posted:

He also ruined dual-wielding, but GoT made that the best part of the Tower of Joy.

You have no idea how excited and happy I was when I saw him draw two swords.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't think there's been any real surprises yet, outside of the really dumb Dorne stuff. I mean, its not too hard to figure out where the plot is going in many cases. Everyone pretty much predicted that Jon dying and coming back would be used to get out of his vows.

I did like how brutal the hanging was. Normally the idea is to break the neck so they die quick, but this was via strangulation, which is just cruel. But gently caress Thorne and Olle.

I can't help but think that the Little Birds are playing Qyburn. I really doubt that Varys would rely on gifts to get information from them. It's also weird that Robert Strong's identity is pretty much an open secret.

Though god drat cock tease Tower of Joy. I love the fight. Dayne felt like a legit threat, but Ned didn't get chumped, was able to hold out against him for long enough so that Reed was able to backstab Dayne. I always figured it was something as simple as the Kings Guard igoring Reed because he wasn't a threat, but then he was able to use that to his advantage and strike. None of this "he warg'd into Dayne and caused him to lose the fight!" crap that was so touted around.

I am not sure what's going on with the Umbers though. Until they brought out shaggydog's head, I figured that it still could be a trap for Ramsey, but they wouldn't kill the Direwolf if they were still on the Stark side. Though it could be fake.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

WampaLord posted:

:lol:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is it too late to for D&D to pull a fantastic troll and cast Hayden Christensen as some character who shows up and is really important at the eleventh hour? Like he's Darkstar or Donnie Tagaryan or whatever the gently caress?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I am not sure what's going on with the Umbers though. Until they brought out shaggydog's head, I figured that it still could be a trap for Ramsey, but they wouldn't kill the Direwolf if they were still on the Stark side. Though it could be fake.

It seems really risky bringing the actual Rickon into Ramsay's house of horrors. How do you know he just doesn't stab him as soon as introductions are over?

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Toilet Mouth posted:

Is it too late to for D&D to pull a fantastic troll and cast Hayden Christensen as some character who shows up and is really important at the eleventh hour? Like he's Darkstar or Donnie Tagaryan or whatever the gently caress?

I don't know can Hayden Christensen do a fake british accent?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The only stories of the Tower of Joy we get in the book are either...

1. Spoken narrative and thus likely unreliable
2. Ned's fever dreams which could also be pretty hosed up

The show provides the only unbiased depiction of the Tower of Joy, so we now know that Arthur "The Sword" Dayne is actually a two sword kinda guy, and also that Oswell Whent never existed

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I think what I like the most is when Jon is revealed to be Rhaegar's son, it'll be another nail in Alister Thorne's coffin in the show.

If you don't know, Thorne was a targ loyalist. So all this time he's been a oval office to his lord's son, thinking he was Ned Stark's bastard. I wonder how things will end up in the books where its pretty different..?

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The only stories of the Tower of Joy we get in the book are either...

1. Spoken narrative and thus likely unreliable
2. Ned's fever dreams which could also be pretty hosed up

The show provides the only unbiased depiction of the Tower of Joy, so we now know that Arthur "The Sword" Dayne is actually a two sword kinda guy, and also that Oswell Whent never existed

Maybe before the fight Oswell Whent fused with Arthur Dayne DBZ style.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I think what I like the most is when Jon is revealed to be Rhaegar's son, it'll be another nail in Alister Thorne's coffin in the show.

If you don't know, Thorne was a targ loyalist. So all this time he's been a oval office to his lord's son, thinking he was Ned Stark's bastard. I wonder how things will end up in the books where its pretty different..?

Who knows but I think that irony is best for the readers to enjoy than the characters to enjoy, anyways.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

i wish they would stick to a plot an episode instead of jumping around. rip the lovely band aid off and then let us enjoy the worthwhile stuff undistracted.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Maybe before the fight Oswell Whent fused with Arthur Dayne DBZ style.

This is the canon explanation.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

In It For The Tank posted:

This is the canon explanation.

The combined entity "Ser Alfred Hunrith."

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I did like how brutal the hanging was. Normally the idea is to break the neck so they die quick, but this was via strangulation, which is just cruel. But gently caress Thorne and Olle.

Wasnt there a very obvious neck-breaking sound or did I just imagine that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

TheRat posted:

Wasnt there a very obvious neck-breaking sound or did I just imagine that?

The subtitles said "gurgling noises" or something of the sort so it was definitely not a clean break (for some of them at least)

• Locked thread