Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

lezard_valeth posted:

Everyone in the room previously knowing Cersei is an idiot suddenly get hit by the Idiot Ball themselves and decide her plan is ok and can't even see through her blatant "do you want your son back" manipulation.

It isn't that they don't see through Cersei's manipulation, it's that they also want to punish the Faith. Margery is Olenna's favorite person and protege, and Loras is the heir to House Tyrell. The Faith is planning to publicly humiliate and disgrace them, and that's only the extent of it if they aren't found guilty of perjury and sodomy. The only unbelievable thing to me is that it took her as long as it did to agree to reclaiming them by force.

It's honestly kind of ridiculous that the Faith Militant is presented as such a real threat to the crown. They should have knights templar or something at least, not a bunch of monks with nailbats and the vaguely defined support of the people (despite the fact that they smashed up all the brothels and taverns and imprisoned Margery, who was previously depicted as a sincere champion of the poor).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

drunken officeparty posted:

Sophie Turner is a terrible actress. Emilia Clarke too. I'm actually honestly goon-rage angry that they even are famous because of how bad they are.

Why is Misandei even involved in anything at all. She was the Unsullied masters secretary, and now she just kind of hangs around important people.

RIP Natalia Tena

It's also really dumb that Dothraki have a city at all. Their whole schtick is they are nomadic barbarians. Except I guess they have a complex legal system and culture uniting the 10 different hordes of nomadic barbarians because??

also their floors are made of highly flammable stone

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Between the quality of the show and the spoilers coming out days early, I've stopped watching the show and am only consuming random scenes, mainly Jon's. What a catastrofuck this has become.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The real spoilers stopped. We're back to 4chan/Reddit fanfiction.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I liked the part where Sansa and Jon reunited and Sansa scooped him up and cradled his tiny body in her arms.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
If this season doesn't end with Bronn walking up to Ramsay and stabbing him in the gut after he says, "There's one cure for being a oval office," then I'm out.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I was kind of surprised to see Jorah throw sand, isn't that like the stereotypically unchivalrous move? It's kind of silly but that did a really effective job of setting the stakes and selling me on an otherwise pretty straightforward action scene.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I was kind of surprised to see Jorah throw sand, isn't that like the stereotypically unchivalrous move? It's kind of silly but that did a really effective job of setting the stakes and selling me on an otherwise pretty straightforward action scene.

Why would jorah care about chivalry, he was exiled for slavery.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014
I'm glad they eventually worked their way around to providing some context to Littlefinger's actions. Rather than sit on Alayne Stone for the winter, might as well "accidentally" let her get claimed by the Boltons to provoke a war immediately.

It doesn't really make sense that the Vale knights would leave their impenetrable and well-supplied mountain fortress on the eve of Winter but okay sure.

lezard_valeth posted:

Rewatching the episode right now. I completely forgot about Littlefinger's scene.

A few other people have already pointed this out but wow maybe you should watch this scene a third, fourth, and fifth time. Or maybe stop watching entirely.

Apoplexy posted:

Between the quality of the show and the spoilers coming out days early, I've stopped watching the show and am only consuming random scenes, mainly Jon's. What a catastrofuck this has become.

I regret to inform you that this episode was good. Also the spoilers were wrong so you should probably stop putting so much stock in 4chan.

Tellah fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 16, 2016

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Tellah posted:

I'm glad they eventually worked their way around to providing some context to Littlefinger's actions. Rather than sit on Alayne Stone for the winter, might as well "accidentally" let her get claimed by the Boltons to provoke a war immediately.

It doesn't really make sense that the Vale knights would leave their impenetrable and well-supplied mountain fortress on the eve of Winter but okay sure.

A few other people have already pointed this out but wow maybe you should watch this scene a third, fourth, and fifth time. Or maybe stop watching entirely.

I regret to inform you that this episode was good. Also the spoilers were wrong so you should probably stop putting so much stock in 4chan.

LF got Robin to commit by making him feel like a badass for coming up with the idea "himself", doesn't matter what the knights think. It was a pretty great scene.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

ruddiger posted:

I liked the part where Sansa and Jon reunited and Sansa scooped him up and cradled his tiny body in her arms.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
JORAH THE SHACKLEFORD! POCKET SAND! SHA-SHA-SHA! Just to get that out of the way. Yeah, I didn't realize the spoilers posted weren't 100% accurate this time. No kicking of the chair, no Edd pulling a Roose Bolton in announcing Jon's death only to take it back, et cetera. Although it was sure right on a buncha points!

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Abner Assington posted:

If this season doesn't end with Bronn walking up to Ramsay and stabbing him in the gut after he says, "There's one cure for being a oval office," then I'm out.

what even happened to Bronn. where is he

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It's honestly kind of ridiculous that the Faith Militant is presented as such a real threat to the crown. They should have knights templar or something at least, not a bunch of monks with nailbats and the vaguely defined support of the people (despite the fact that they smashed up all the brothels and taverns and imprisoned Margery, who was previously depicted as a sincere champion of the poor).

yeah it's kind of weird. especially because in the books (sorry) the faith does have noble zealot knights with armor and poo poo along with the ragged poor zealot fighters.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

FourLeaf posted:

what even happened to Bronn. where is he

He's not really got a place in the Lannister storyline right now. Maybe he's joined Gendry's trireme? (boy does that kid have a big crew of rowers now!)

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

I said it before, I'll say it again - Bronn's show storyline right now is the closest anything is to the books. He's just chilling with Lollys Stokeworth.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

NutritiousSnack posted:

If it was an extra, that wouldn't be surprising, considering they get a different script.

Extras don't even get that. A stand in extra gets photocopied sheets of the scenes they are specifically in, regular extras get nothing.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

I said it before, I'll say it again - Bronn's show storyline right now is the closest anything is to the books. He's just chilling with Lollys Stokeworth.

Jaime's going to pull him out of retirement for One Last Mission.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It's also really dumb that Dothraki have a city at all. Their whole schtick is they are nomadic barbarians. Except I guess they have a complex legal system and culture uniting the 10 different hordes of nomadic barbarians because??

In the book, wasnt it just like a field where they dumped all of their loot?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Snake? SNAAAAAAAAAAKES

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
This was a pretty solid episode aside from King's Landing and Yara being so unlikable. Sansa and Jon reuniting was really nice to see. That's more than GRRM ever gave us.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

I thought Jaime gave Lollys a new husband last season.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
It looks like all the odd-numbered episodes this season will be bad while the even-numbered will be good.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Shneak posted:

It looks like all the odd-numbered episodes this season will be bad while the even-numbered will be good.

Yeah but this was episode 4 so I don't follow

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This is exactly the kind of spectacle and biblical gravitas I like from Daenny's story line.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Pretty much. A biblical miracle is the only way to explain how those braziers turned those stones into charcoal and nobody in the roam even tried to stop Dany from knocking over more.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

LegalPad posted:

Pretty much. A biblical miracle is the only way to explain how those braziers turned those stones into charcoal and nobody in the roam even tried to stop Dany from knocking over more.

Fire burns dude. You're instinct is to stay away from fire, not go closer to it, and Dan is in the middle of it all. Its a shock to even grab the brazier. Also they clearly poured some sort of highly flammable alcohol on the stones with the help of the other Khaleesi; there's logic to this if you just think for literally two seconds.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ah yes, every American is quite familiar with the Emancipation In About a Decade Just Stay Patient Proclamation.

Lincoln was fine with letting Slavery die from being strangled to death gradually by blocking the admittance of additional slave states; so Tyrion would be similar to pre-Civil War Abe, or Candidate Abe if you will; however War Tyrion is far less forgiving and very much Tywin's son so I can see the parallels to how Abe's position changed by the necessity of ending the war by any means.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

FogHelmut posted:

In the book, wasnt it just like a field where they dumped all of their loot?

No it's a weird city where they drag the monuments of conquered people and have massive amounts of slaves building mansions 24/7 with the aim of ensuring all dothraki have their own mansion when the apocalypse comes so they can wait it out in luxury. It also doubles as a capital, trading center, and religious monastery in the meantime. Not sure why people are weirded out by them having a city. All their real life counterparts did. Pretty massive ones too.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
It's great to have KellyC doing stuff again. I just kind of tune out whenever Ramsay or Cersei scenes pop up this season though.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

I regret comparing this season to bad Showtime. It's been several episodes now they've done the daytime cable schtick of having unrelated characters go through identical emotional beats because it's "this week's theme." :suicide:

Call me if they cobble together another Hardhome

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I know it's a fictional show but, uh, dude:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulaanbaatar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomadic_empire

e: For further edification, Vaes Dothrak is literally based off of Ulaanbaatar, right down to how the city is laid out and the ovoo (or widow's shrine for the Dothraki) being isolated from the city proper. It mirrors how the city used to look before the 20th Century.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 16, 2016

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So is Jorah gonna cut his arm off or is he just gonna kinda let that linger like a dumbass.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I guess it looks like they're skipping the Dany shits everywhere arc?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Bell_ posted:

I guess it looks like they're skipping the Dany shits everywhere arc?

Technically every Dany scene is her making GBS threads everywhere in one way or another

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

It's made pretty explicit by the end of Dance with Dragons.

I liked Dany taking the khals by surprise, but it was a pretty poo poo episode otherwise. Nothing majorly wrong, but it never got past mediocre.

Daenny have visions doesn't really imply she's crazy in a setting with magic and gods when for all you know it's Bran talking to her. She seems no crazier then any other of the historical conquerors, she seems a lot like what I would imagine a female Suleiman the Magnificent to be.

While Aerys probably was crazy we also don't know how much of his actions were influenced by Pycelle and Varys; but I think its safe to say that Daenarys hasn't gone to that level yet and does have good advisors now that she has Tyrion to balance out the team. Daenarys still has empathy and compassion as an individual for other individuals I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to believe she's on the "Crazy" side of the coin when greatness has always had a little crazy to go with it; it's a feature. You can't accomplish great things without it.

On another related note, I really like Show Daario. Book Daario is kind of just a narrative device to show the dangers and uncontrollability and unpredictability of "War" and so on and is a silly bad boy crush for a teenager; show Daario is generally interesting to watch and seems to be a reversal of the book version of the Jaime-Loras relation.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man, It was so great to actually see a moment of happiness on the show for the heroes for once. And I seriously though the Pink Letter would never make it on the show.

I love Sansa and her "No gently caress the Boltons. Kill them all" attitude. Also, I'm hoping that Littlefinger is going to completely overplay his hand and end up getting Frey'd in some way (i'd prefer pied, but hung from a random tree would be acceptable), because if Sansa and Jon are joined by Davos, Brienne, Melissandre and Thormund, Baelish's honied words are not going to do him any good. Plus Sansa can just say "Oh yea, he tossed Lysa out the moondoor to usurp her position, and forced me to lie to all of you" and get the Vale on her side too. Suddenly she has an army of Wildlings, Northmen and Valesmen to take on Ramsey and his 20 good men.

I just want this season to involve a lot of heroes actually winning for a change. If next season is the final one, then kill Ramsey and other villains that are irredeemable, and have an uneasy alliance between the North, the Lannisters and the Tyrells against the Faith and the Walkers.

The biggest surprise is that Emilia Clarke is willing to do topless scenes again, though that could have been cgi, which makes me very, very sad.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Entering this thread is a bit like entering an alternate dimension. I thought this episode was drat good and the 7 people I watched with agreed, I enter this thread and people are like "LOL loving HORRIBLE GARBAGE I DON'T EVEN WATCH THIS SHOW ANY MORE I JUST POST ABOUT IT :smug:"

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

an skeleton posted:

Entering this thread is a bit like entering an alternate dimension. I thought this episode was drat good and the 7 people I watched with agreed, I enter this thread and people are like "LOL loving HORRIBLE GARBAGE I DON'T EVEN WATCH THIS SHOW ANY MORE I JUST POST ABOUT IT :smug:"

This episode is aside from the moment of where Osha got stabbed, generally back to season 3 levels of good for me. Last episode was trending there but here it's Good.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If anyone is in a room with Ramsey they're probably going to get stabbed, and Osha was dead from the moment she appeared because she's the expendable one.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
I liked the episode but I don't understand why that fire spread so quickly.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Everything, and I mean everything was flammable. Plus the pile of old nitrate filmstock hidden in the tent.

I cannot be the only one who thought of Inglorous Basterds with that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

The mental image of it just fizzing out after she tips it over is kinda funny.

• Locked thread