Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SirDan3k posted:

Another version has the guardians loving with kryptionain DNA so that they'd get sick and die if they left Krypton because they were previously a race of space faring conquerors using the power of yellow suns to enslave trillions and Jor El fixed Superman DNA so that he'd survive the trip.

In yet another version, the Eradicator bound all Kryptonians to Krypton so they could never leave alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I've been catching up on Supergirl, I was pretty lukewarm at the start of it but I think I'm somewhat enjoying it now. I watched the Flash crossover last night, and it was a lot of fun. The gag where Cat tells the gang that they look like the racially diverse cast of a CW show made me laugh (although now it's truer than they probably would have known at the time). I think it's definitely the best of all the Marvel/DC shows right now, although that's not too difficult.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

I was pretty lukewarm at the start of it but I think I'm somewhat enjoying it now.

I just don't understand this attitude. Like, surely there's something to watch that won't waste your time as much as something you only somewhat enjoy after viewing a large number of episodes?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

feedmyleg posted:

I just don't understand this attitude. Like, surely there's something to watch that won't waste your time as much as something you only somewhat enjoy after viewing a large number of episodes?

Some shows take a while to get good.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Some shows take a while to get good.

Some shows numb you with their mediocrity so you think a slight uptick is "good TV".

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Pretty much. There's plenty of shows that I love which had pretty poor opening episodes, or even seasons. It took Star Trek: TNG about 3 seasons to get properly good (there were some really good episodes in the first 2 seasons, though). I'm willing to give a bit of time for writers (and even actors) to find their feet.

SHIELD I dropped after about 8 or 10 episodes, but after Winter Soldier came out I went back and caught up on it to see what effect it had on the series. The writing did improve somewhat in that season, and the 2nd season was a lot better overall, although the 3rd has been a bit crappy.

I didn't think Supergirl was bad as such, I just wasn't crazy about it. The characters have grown on me a little bit though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Star Trek never gets good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

You know besides being one of the most influential tv shows ever created.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

consequently, I loving love Star Trek and recently started SG-1 since I've never seen it and I'm way more into it than I thought I would be. They're very upfront about the Star Trek influence and it was easy to get into even though I haven't seen the movie since I was a kid.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobkatt013 posted:

Influence and quality are two different things, you know that, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

We're fighting now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Will it be badly choreographed?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sighhhhh

Let me get on my rubber lizard suit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Will it be badly choreographed?

Our budget is this bag of doritos and all the change in my couch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

As someone who mostly enjoys Star Trek, it's honestly way more bad than good.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

As someone who mostly enjoys Star Trek, it's honestly way more bad than good.
Only if you include the bad spin-offs, which nobody in their right mind should.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Influence and quality are two different things, you know that, right?

Yeah but the original series is still really really good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

Half or more of the movies the movies, Voyager, Enterprise, the first two seasons of TNG and DS9, and a not-insignificant numbers of episodes of TOS, TNG, and DS9 are skippable at best. That's not even getting into the troves of terrible official fanfiction that no one should actually read.

EDIT: "Star Trek is good unless you count the bad parts!"

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 16, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Half or more of the movies the movies, Voyager, Enterprise, the first two seasons of TNG and DS9, and a not-insignificant numbers of episodes of TOS, TNG, and DS9 are skippable at best. That's not even getting into the troves of terrible official fanfiction that no one should actually read.
If we're including the VHS game, the good to bad ratio increases dramatically.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

The bad spinoffs include:

Star Trek: The Next Generation
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Star Trek: Enterprise
Every movie but Khan and ST09

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lemme just say of The Expanse since the topic of Star Trek has come around...

DrProsek posted:

The show takes place in a Sci-fi future where Earth and Mars are galactic superpowers who have colonized the asteroid belt/minor planets around them.

twistedmentat posted:

The posters I saw showed someone in a space suit floating in space and the caption "We've gone to far!" made it sound like it was about an space exploration that goes wrong because they went to a part of space that mad them go mad. Space Madness!

First off, calling them galactic superpowers is a minsomer. It's very much not galactic-scale -- one of my favorite parts about The Expanse is that the universe is about as close to real physics as we've seen in a sci-fi show. There's no FTL travel, and just getting from Earth to Mars can take like a month of sitting around. Accelerating at a decent clip needs everyone to be in a crash couch and sudden maneuvers lead to broken bones and stuff. Growing up in space means to a ton of developmental problems with bone structure, incidence of cancer is high, and life is terrible when you have to worry about paying for water and air.

In some ways the Expanse is the opposite of Star Trek, when it comes to hopefulness and optimism about the human condition. There's no real exploration since we have no way to get out of the solar system. People call the Expanse a sci fi Game of Thrones and I think the comparison does hold some weight -- there are no tits or incest in the Expanse, but in general if GoT is about how even in a fantasy world with magic human beings will still be horrible pieces of poo poo to each other, The Expanse is that in space. We've colonized another planet and spread out into the solar system, but none of that fundamentally changed the fact that most people in power are greedy assholes with self interest in mind.

It's a good show, but it does start slow. I think every episode is a little better than the last one all the way up to the finale. Give it one or two even if the first doesn't grab you.

Note: I also have read the first few books and some of the above does change but spoilers and it'll be like 4 seasons before most that stuff anyway. General points still stand.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

feedmyleg posted:

Star Trek: The Next Generation
Star Trek: Enterprise
Every movie but Khan and ST09

Wait, so you think Voyager of all things was the good Star Trek?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

feedmyleg posted:

I'm of the mind that there are virtually no TV shows that are really great all the way through. Some start bad and get better, some start good and get worse. So you might as well never watch anything at all if you expect every episode to hook you in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sefer posted:

Wait, so you think Voyager of all things was the good Star Trek?

He probably forgot about it, which is really the best approach to Voyager.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

EDIT: "Star Trek is good unless you count the bad parts!"

Endless Mike posted:

He probably forgot about it, which is really the best approach to Voyager.

:colbert:

But seriously TNG and DS9 were both excellent, with some low points (I don't even like writing off the first 2 seasons of them because there is some really good stuff in there).

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I will loving fight you

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Less than a week until Preacher premiers.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I like most of TOS / TNG and DS9 until it tried to be Babylon 5. I can't believe there hasn't been a Trek show for 11 years. I look forward to the new one next year.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
Anyone want to take bets on who dies during tomorrow's Agents of Shield season finale? My best friend thinks it'll be Fitz or Simmons since the show seems to actively abhor them being happy; I personally am hoping Lincoln counts as a "member of the team" so that he can go be boring somewhere else.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

wyntyr posted:

Anyone want to take bets on who dies during tomorrow's Agents of Shield season finale? My best friend thinks it'll be Fitz or Simmons since the show seems to actively abhor them being happy; I personally am hoping Lincoln counts as a "member of the team" so that he can go be boring somewhere else.

My cynical hunch is soldier "suddenly got a name, speaking role and rocket launcher" from the Kree episode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hopefully Daisy.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wait the Kree are in Agents of Shield now?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

They have been since season one as Kree blood was used as part of the process of bringing Coulson back to life.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Since awhile now.

Yo-yo is your goner, book it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Is Agents of SHIELD actually good or is it what I suspect, it fumbling to and flailing at better-known Marvel storylines and concepts? Like, would watching it be a series of cool deep cuts to MU stuff that would never show up in the MCU proper or is it a bunch of also-rans pretending to be important? I ask because the Agents of SHIELD comic feels really fake and weird and kind of almost like fanfiction despite being 616 canon and I'm wondering if the tv show has that same sort of weird unreality to it as well.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Good is such a relative term that if you go in expecting to hate it, you're gonna hate it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If people say it's good, I'll give it a shot approaching with an open mind, but the early extreme negativity (and how everyone insisted it "got good after Winter Soldier") combined with what I've anecdotally seen doesn't exactly inspire confidence. On the other hand, though, I really love stuff like the Kree (and the Inhumans) so I'd be interested in a TV show that deals with that as a concept.

Basically my question is is it good or good because it's the only MCU TV show that deals with larger-scale threats and ideas?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

If people say it's good, I'll give it a shot approaching with an open mind, but the early extreme negativity (and how everyone insisted it "got good after Winter Soldier") combined with what I've anecdotally seen doesn't exactly inspire confidence. On the other hand, though, I really love stuff like the Kree (and the Inhumans) so I'd be interested in a TV show that deals with that as a concept.

Basically my question is is it good or good because it's the only MCU TV show that deals with larger-scale threats and ideas?

There's a few enjoyable bits but it's no better or worse than Flash or Arrow at this point.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

*shrug* I like it. As far as what the seasons are like, some spoilers for general flow:
Season 1: kinda bland macguffin-of-the-week stuff first half until the mid-season Hydra reveal, then it's the Main Team salvaging what they can as the rest of Shield falls apart, scrambling to keep previous-episode macguffins out of Hydra's hands, and fighting cyborg supersoldiers.
Season 2: Shield is now "dead", running in the shadows to clean up Hydra remnants. The Main Team comes into conflict with more survivors of the schism who formed their own Shield. Artifacts Hydra is pursuing lead the team to a hidden colony of Inhumans, the leader of whom is Skye's mother and has her own motives to she keep her people safe.
Season 3: Terrigen is out in the wild, Shield is back in a "working for the President but secretly" fashion, and they're trying to find people who turn into Inhumans and help them before they hurt anyone or bad guys capture them. The Secret Warriors are assembled, and everyone tries to stop an ancient Inhuman who's going to kill everyone he can't brainwash.

I mean, it's not fine art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Toxxupation posted:

I think the show is legit good, albeit not as good this season as it was in the second season and latter portion of the first season. If you finish season 1 and don't like it, the following seasons won't change your mind.

That said, let me tell what it doesn't have: it doesn't have characters making decisions that are anywhere near as bad as the decisions the characters (and writers :v) on Flash or Arrow or Legends make. When the characters have some emotional problem, they actually hash it out, and when someone has a secret, they keep appropriate people in the loop instead of keeping it a secret from everyone until it all comes to a boil. That alone makes it really refreshing.