Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Good god Lync is terrible. My favorite is the bug on OSX where attempting to send OR receive a file blanks out your conversation and you have to reload the app to get it back. Or how history is flat-out broken. Or where it can't handle reconnecting. It's awful.

I'm using Sky now instead which is its own blend of bad, but it's at least better than the official client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
Everybody at my company in every team had Lync set up on their computer. I've yet to encounter a single team that actually uses Lync - most teams just use Skype.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

sunaurus posted:

Everybody at my company in every team had Lync set up on their computer. I've yet to encounter a single team that actually uses Lync - most teams just use Skype.

Lync is "Skype For Business" now though

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
At least you weren't on Jabber. I think my last place literally paid Cisco millions of dollars to disable persistent chatrooms and I think the company actively cracked down on running chatbots for even official purposes. It was loving agony trying to get an idea of what's going on when the first person started a group chat because you couldn't even change the room title either. So during major outages I'd have to get invited to a chat and after 100+ names and the previous info scrolls by I'd see a title / subject of "Group Conversation with Jacob..." and the guy's not even there anymore. I think something like 40%+ of all messages were basically "can someone tell me what's going on?" messages.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

At least you weren't on Jabber. I think my last place literally paid Cisco millions of dollars to disable persistent chatrooms and I think the company actively cracked down on running chatbots for even official purposes. It was loving agony trying to get an idea of what's going on when the first person started a group chat because you couldn't even change the room title either. So during major outages I'd have to get invited to a chat and after 100+ names and the previous info scrolls by I'd see a title / subject of "Group Conversation with Jacob..." and the guy's not even there anymore. I think something like 40%+ of all messages were basically "can someone tell me what's going on?" messages.

Jabber is a wonderful protocol with some poo poo servers and clients. We were running the erlang jabberd at work for a while and it wasn't terrible, but we also used Campfire for some reason for group chats?

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

revmoo posted:

Good god Lync is terrible. My favorite is the bug on OSX where attempting to send OR receive a file blanks out your conversation and you have to reload the app to get it back. Or how history is flat-out broken. Or where it can't handle reconnecting. It's awful.

I'm using Sky now instead which is its own blend of bad, but it's at least better than the official client.

I think my favorite feature is where after 10 minutes it blanks the chat window and "archives" your conversation to Exchange where you have to then go into Outlook and find your chat in the conversation history folder to read previous messages because that's more convenient than just scrolling up I guess.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I had good success with internal Openfire Jabber servers at past jobs :unsmith: ... But this was also like 10 years ago when "imitating AOL Instant Messenger" was all you asked of your chat tool. The world has moved on.

Current job uses HipChat, which has weekly multi-hour outages during prime business hours. For a good time, subscribe to their status page email updates. We chose it over Slack because we're already all-in on the Atlassian stack anyway. But it's buggy garbage that I'd have a hard time recommending to anyone. I think I actually prefer the application to Slack; it's basically IRC with some nice tweaks for 2016. But holy poo poo is it unstable and buggy.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 14, 2016

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Do you guys who're using the lovely chat clients not have corporate gmail? I know multi-chat / Hangouts / whatever it's called isn't amazing but it does work and is frustration free for the most part.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We use Lync at work and we're not allowed to use Gmail or other Google products to communicate because "it's insecure", so instead we rely on Outlook and lovely Skype. :downs:

This company has a lot of awful policies, and I've only scratched the surface, but thankfully I don't have to deal with most of them as a developer.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Docjowles posted:

I had good success with internal Openfire Jabber servers at past jobs :unsmith: ... But this was also like 10 years ago when "imitating AOL Instant Messenger" was all you asked of your chat tool. The world has moved on.

Current job uses HipChat, which has weekly multi-hour outages during prime business hours. For a good time, subscribe to their status page email updates. We chose it over Slack because we're already all-in on the Atlassian stack anyway. But it's buggy garbage that I'd have a hard time recommending to anyone. I think I actually prefer the application to Slack; it's basically IRC with some nice tweaks for 2016. But holy poo poo is it unstable and buggy.

You know you can run hipchat local right?

We were actually in the beta, beta ended, server kept working lol. It still works even though we aren't paying. Stopped using it though regardless. I kind of miss it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

revmoo posted:

We were actually in the beta, beta ended, server kept working lol. It still works even though we aren't paying. Stopped using it though regardless. I kind of miss it.

Yeah I know. We'll probably bite the bullet and set up our own server eventually because the amount of downtime they have is absurd. But in theory it's nice to not have yet another service we have to manage and just let ~*~the cloud~*~ do it. The on-prem version is also like double the cost of cloud and we have several hundred users so it's not peanuts.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 14, 2016

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Slack is the best solution I have found so far for business chat.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Docjowles posted:

Yeah I know. We'll probably bite the bullet and set up our own server eventually because the amount of downtime they have is absurd. But in theory it's nice to not have yet another service we have to manage and just let ~*~the cloud~*~ do it. The on-prem version is also like double the cost of cloud and we have several hundred users so it's not peanuts.

I haven't noticed any HipChat downtime, but I connect via Pidgin so maybe the webapp breaks more often?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
We have an ssl-enabled IRC server and have a bouncer set up for people to retain history when not connected.

It's handy for us since there's less impedance when new hires need to hang around on the IRC channel for a FOSS project when they need help or are working on it.

Given the number of FOSS old-hands, the general attitude towards slack is generally dismissive, which gets reinforced whenever we have to deal with an organisation that is using slack badly.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

revmoo posted:

We were in the beta and continued to run an on-prem Hipchat server up until about a month ago. We went with Hipchat at the time because Slack didn't have compliance retention we needed (Hipchat barely did). Hipchat updated their client a few months ago and it's a buggy piece of poo poo that crashes literally dozens of times per day, and Slack now has a plus plan that has everything we need for compliance. We switched, and part of me was utterly satisfied explaining to the Hipchat sales rep why we weren't renewing. We use and love Confluence and JIRA, and Slack integrates with them just as well as Hipchat did, if not better.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Erwin posted:

We were in the beta and continued to run an on-prem Hipchat server up until about a month ago. We went with Hipchat at the time because Slack didn't have compliance retention we needed (Hipchat barely did). Hipchat updated their client a few months ago and it's a buggy piece of poo poo that crashes literally dozens of times per day, and Slack now has a plus plan that has everything we need for compliance. We switched, and part of me was utterly satisfied explaining to the Hipchat sales rep why we weren't renewing. We use and love Confluence and JIRA, and Slack integrates with them just as well as Hipchat did, if not better.

That's where we are now. Hipchat for compliance but the effort to swap to Slack hasn't been eclipsed yet by the pain of hip chats outages.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Hipchat sales rep

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
My work has Slack, but we haven't pushed the button for making it "official" or paying for it, because we 1) want its login to use our Exchange LDAP, and 2) more importantly, we want to self-host it, because something something client information something something.

Some people in the company are wanting to move us to Cisco Spark because we have such a great relationship with Cisco according to them, though given how little I've heard about the product, I'm immensely skeptical that it's any good.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Storysmith posted:

Jabber is a wonderful protocol with some poo poo servers and clients. We were running the erlang jabberd at work for a while and it wasn't terrible, but we also used Campfire for some reason for group chats?
I wasn't talking about Jabber the protocol, I really was meaning Jabber the product http://www.cisco.com/web/products/voice/jabber.html

The reason I know that the company was crazy and stupid even for enterprise is that every single thing that Cisco puts as features on the page were things that the company explicitly disabled. Lync integration? Nope, works with your Cisco phones? Nope (we didn't even use Cisco for their VoIP stuff whatsoever though and had a strange mix of Avaya and Cisco + old Nortel crap). Almost every integration was disabled except for Outlook and Exchange GAL (might have just been AD really). It really didn't work well if you logged into the IM client from multiple clients either. I'd start receiving messages in a at-most-once kind of delivery system where all initial conversations were sent to all devices, but after that point I couldn't resume the conversation if I had to move back to another device because I couldn't tell wtf I was talking about or if I missed some messages while switching devices.

I talked to security before (there was tons of unauthorized use of Slack even including SVPs and executives, it was getting pretty serious how much unauthorized software was running because people hated everything approved with a passion) and the company went somewhat the other direction on compliance of communications years ago - they wanted to avoid having any record of any IM conversation possible, so anything that could log conversations that wasn't certified by a vendor that there was no form of centralized logging was banned. IRC bots could record conversations in theory, so they wanted them banned unless certified through legal that the bots cannot record anything. I had never heard of anything like this form of plausible deniability approach to compliance at a Fortune 10, but I hesitate to think anyone but these weirdos could get away with such willful ignorance to avoid having to provide more info in a subpoena situation.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

necrobobsledder posted:

I had never heard of anything like this form of plausible deniability approach to compliance at a Fortune 10
I can tell you that when I worked at Time Warner, they retained emails for exactly 30 days.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Anyone else here use ChatWork? It's run by a Japanese company (and I work for a Japanese company, so natch), but the UI switches to English, too.

We've been running all of our in-house and client communication through it for about five years now. Everyone mentions Slack, and I've been interested in alternatives to ChatWork. I know Slack has channels and apparently hashtags as well, but can you reply to individual messages to make a thread? That's how it works with ChatWork: Person A posts a message with a "TO:" mention at Person B. Then, Person B hits "Reply" when writing back, and doing a mouse-over on the "RE:" mark at the top of the message shows a pop-up with part of the original message and a button to jump to it, even from a different channel, plus it counts as a mention so Person A still gets notified. You can even put "message links" in the body of the message that show the same pop-up for any other message, like "I finished making the changes to the system Bob asked for: <LINK HERE>".

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Axiem posted:

My work has Slack, but we haven't pushed the button for making it "official" or paying for it, because we 1) want its login to use our Exchange LDAP, and 2) more importantly, we want to self-host it, because something something client information something something.

Some people in the company are wanting to move us to Cisco Spark because we have such a great relationship with Cisco according to them, though given how little I've heard about the product, I'm immensely skeptical that it's any good.

Just use Mattermost. Free and supports ldap.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I wanted to set up some chat system for my side of the organization, but I knew that would be herding cats a few years ago. I tried to experiment with moving discussions onto an internal NNTP server, but it never caught on. They apparently have an IRC server, but it's for coordination between internal teams and external developers and customers, and it was heavily controlled. So I just gave up. But I looked into Slack to see the deal. Some people wanted to get it supported by IT without, you know, any of the security policies or anything else IT would have to do. So somebody is doing a pilot with Rocket.Chat. Can somebody contrast it with Slack? It seems good enough for us to do general, archived chat. We have stuff for just about everything else.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Oh my god if this guy comes to me with one more "I copy-pasted this code from <another project / SO / a five-year-old blog post> and it doesn't work for some reason" or "I tried this thing and the app crashed. FULL STOP", I'm gonna pop him one. Why do we let him code for crying out loud. It took me three consecutive code reviews to finally get him to stop leaving huge patches of code commented-out when he committed :bang:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

We have shifted our stand ups to discussing video games with very little work talk.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I'm using HipChat at my new place and I've had zero problems with it, plus it's got neat integrations with other Atlassian stuff (or so it seems, maybe it's just cleverly contrived). Not that we use it much anyways, we're set up in a bullpen style environment so we just go talk to people if we need to :v:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ChickenWing posted:

I'm using HipChat at my new place and I've had zero problems with it, plus it's got neat integrations with other Atlassian stuff (or so it seems, maybe it's just cleverly contrived). Not that we use it much anyways, we're set up in a bullpen style environment so we just go talk to people if we need to :v:

Regarding the bullpen: I'm curious as to how well that arrangement can be done. How loud does it get? Are there any marketing/support people with you (or really anyone with a desk phone, that's my normal metric for "will this person be a constant source of disruption for me?) or is it just devs in the bullpen? Is there a cultural understanding that discourages full-volume conversations? Alternatively, are there enough quiet spaces in you can escape to when you?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

Regarding the bullpen: I'm curious as to how well that arrangement can be done. How loud does it get? Are there any marketing/support people with you (or really anyone with a desk phone, that's my normal metric for "will this person be a constant source of disruption for me?) or is it just devs in the bullpen? Is there a cultural understanding that discourages full-volume conversations? Alternatively, are there enough quiet spaces in you can escape to when you?

It's a bullpen surrounded by small offices with a wraparound hallway that attaches to the kitchen and a handful of conference rooms. Depending on what's going on there tends to be a constant murmur of conversation. There's about 30-40 people in here at any given time - mostly devs, some BAs, some admin staff. No desk phones. Nobody's cross-office hollering - occasionally you'll have a conversation with someone not-adjacent for you, but for most elongated conversations you'll usually go to the person's desk, or find a meeting room if entirely necessary.

If you're the kind of person who loses concentration if anyone talks near you, you'd definitely need headphones. Personally, sometimes I like them when I'm in a groove and want to tune everything out, but for the most part I find it's helpful to be in tune with the discussions surrounding me, as I sit near my team and can often learn important stuff or provide input to other conversations. At my previous job, I was listening to music from the time I got in to the time I left because everything was isolated and I never needed to talk to anyone. The atmosphere is more social and tight-knit here, so after a couple days I just found it easier to keep the headphones off.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

We somehow manage to use Lync and HipChat simultaneously.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

We used skype at my last place but then we hired some ops guy who refused to communicate over anything but HipChat and so I had to use both programs because my manager refused to switch from skype. And then they used me to message eachother

The ops dude was terrible and he got hired at apple a few months in thank god

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ChickenWing posted:

If you're the kind of person who loses concentration if anyone talks near you, you'd definitely need headphones.

I am, for some definitions of "talk." Some people can hold conversations in the adjacent cube and I don't notice (I do use headphones but I keep those quiet too). Some people talk like they're in an auditorium without a mic, no matter the context, and it's THOSE people I want to strangle.

It sounds to me like I could live with such an arrangement, as long as there were an understanding that people don't try to talk to the back of the room.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

I am, for some definitions of "talk." Some people can hold conversations in the adjacent cube and I don't notice (I do use headphones but I keep those quiet too). Some people talk like they're in an auditorium without a mic, no matter the context, and it's THOSE people I want to strangle.

It sounds to me like I could live with such an arrangement, as long as there were an understanding that people don't try to talk to the back of the room.

Yeah you'd probably be fine. Most of the chatter occurs in the morning during and after standups, when people are talking about what they need to work, and everyone's polite about their volume levels.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I have no real complaints about HipChat. Except how their pricing plan for hosting your own server only goes up to 5000 users, and apparently we hit that limit and can't register any more people.

https://www.hipchat.com/server#pricing

Also per user pricing on self hosted seems pretty dubious to me but I don't pay the bills.

chagrin
Jan 31, 2007
Full of vinegar and baking soda
We use Flowdock and it's fantastic, though I've never used Slack/HipChat/etc.

We've got kind of a weird history with office communication, though. We're a relatively small office (~60 people, mostly Dev and Operations) as part of a large global company. For years, we used an IRC server in our office, which people generally liked but was only available in our office, so it just reinforced our isolation from the rest of the company.

A year or more back, our corporate overlords decided IRC was "insecure" so they told us we couldn't use it, prompting much grumbling. After a while they proved a corporate-approved solution: a Jabber server and Spark as the client. This was terrible, and people basically stopped using it at all.

We then discovered that, due to our corporate license for Rally, we also had corporate access to Flowdock. There was no prominent communication about this, just an easily-missed bullet point in a company-wide email talking about updates to Rally ("...and we now can use Flowdock for office chat"). My office jumped on it like sharks in a frenzy and we've never looked back. We had been pining for the good old days of IRC and Flowdock was much, much better. Even better, it's made it really easy for us to talk to other offices all over the planet. It's now become completely ingrained into our daily work; we had a one-day outage due to some corporate security thing and there was practically a global mutiny.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
My company uses Skype (non-business) for everyone internally. This is my first actual programming gig out of college but I think after almost 2 years of this I want to scream. Using skype to talk to friends daily for almost 8 years was annoying at times, for business, I don't understand who thought this was a good idea. But at least every snarky PM/BA/etc. can slap a BBC Sherlock emote into the chat and feel funny. :thumbsup:

EDIT: To be clear, the thing I actually hate about the non-business skype is the constant crashing/unsolicited updates (that IT was constantly telling us not to update to)/Lost messages/Inability to call people randomly.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

We use an outlook mailing list that the company owner is on who occasionally chimes in to chide people for wasting everybody's time by posting to a list that a whole dozen people read.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

FamDav posted:

Rather than attempting to measure uncertainty, you stick your head in the sand and pretend it's unmeasurable.
:raise: That's perfectly reasonable.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Hi good morning, its monday. Lets have an hour long discussion wondering why our estimates are so long!

Then, immediately after, let's talk about why you put so much time towards a 401k training meeeting.

ughhhhhhhhhheghguhgughughguhuguhgueehgheuhguhguhg.

The answer to both: I want to make sure I do it right.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I am working on a new product and we are using the wandboard as our development platform.

I spend 30+ hours trying to figure out why i2c wasn't working properly.

Their dts file for the imx6 solo variant has:

C code:
compatible = "wand,imx6dl-wandboard", "fsl,imx6dl"; 
instead of

C code:
compatible = "fsl,imx6dl-wandboard", "fsl,imx6dl";
:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hur hur we can't use TeamCity for CI/CD because it's Java and it's too easy to call it "TeamShitty."

Instead we'll send off cron jobs to poll our git repositories, and trigger a rebuild on deltas using a Cygwin runtime. I know, to make it cross-platform-compatible we'll also use autotools!

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 23, 2016