Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

McShane as Paul Bearer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Is the show actually just an extremely expensive campaign to try and push GRRM to write the books? Like they're intentionally going past the books and doing a terrible job and butchering everything as if to say "Do you want this to be your legacy, old man? Do you? Unless you write, Dorne is dead forever."

Elias_Maluco posted:

Here we go again
My bad, man. The exact pages I glossed over were the ones with firechat. I'm at least glad to know I wasn't the only one puzzled by that.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

whatever7 posted:

D&D can always bring him back and kill him off in the next scene like Osha.
Sandor trying to seduce Ramsay is gonna be super awkward

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

PostNouveau posted:

Hey everybody shut the gently caress up and watch the Mountain play with his tiny dog.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFZLzxLALuv/

That's actually a Great Dane he's playing with. It just looks small next to him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sector_corrector posted:

This season is bad, and more importantly it's making me realize that the books were bad too. After a bit I can finally stop caring about this stupid, worthless story.

what's weird is the only decent part of either is the north (it's better in the books since it has manderly and ramsay isn't plot armor incarnate). a lot of what's bad about the show can still be blamed on the books since martin was the one to put a lot of the characters in boring do nothing scenarios nobody cares about.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

kcroy posted:

you'd rather a season of "where do whores go?"

It's almost as though there might be a middle ground between overindulging in angst and bitterness and despair and having a character not be affected at all by traumatic events.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Groovelord Neato posted:

what's weird is the only decent part of either is the north (it's better in the books since it has manderly and ramsay isn't plot armor incarnate). a lot of what's bad about the show can still be blamed on the books since martin was the one to put a lot of the characters in boring do nothing scenarios nobody cares about.

I think the biggest flaw in the greater story was ironically Martins willingness to kill off major characters. In the show especially losing Ned Robert Cat Tywin Jofrey etc. just saps the story of its best acted characters. That and scattering the remaining characters to so many separate locations really hurts the flow of the main story.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Subvisual Haze posted:

I think the biggest flaw in the greater story was ironically Martins willingness to kill off major characters. In the show especially losing Ned Robert Cat Tywin Jofrey etc. just saps the story of its best acted characters. That and scattering the remaining characters to so many separate locations really hurts the flow of the main story.

and separating the interesting surviving characters from each other. Arya is really engaging when she's partnered with Charles Dance or Rory McCann, but basically on her own...it's just not the same. Honestly, look at Tyrion basically on his own in Meereen, sure he's got Varys hanging around but the show even had to make a scene about how boring the other characters there are. Meanwhile in seasons 1-4, he's hanging around Cersei, Tywin, Jaime, etc etc, its 100 times better.

It's no coincidence the best scenes last episode were with Jon and his crew, because you actually have some interesting characters bounce off each other.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

CountFosco posted:

It's almost as though there might be a middle ground between overindulging in angst and bitterness and despair and having a character not be affected at all by traumatic events.

Wasnt he all mopey and drunk for a few episodes when he got out of that box?

For me personally, thats fine for a TV show, you cant have entire episodes of him rolling round in his own filth crying so hes mopey for a few episodes, fine, point taken.

It works in a book because theres 1000s of pages of detail, the show has to compress, whether you think the show has done a good job of compressing for whatever reasons is upto you.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Subvisual Haze posted:

The show's compounding the problem though. I mean, who knows what will happen in TWOW but in the last season and a half they've killed off Mance, Barristan, Stannis, Roose and Doran, all of whom are still around in the books and all of whom were played by pretty good actors. I think they've fallen into the trap of thinking that they need shock deaths to keep up the momentum of Seasons 3 and 4 but it's leaving the cast pretty thin.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Subvisual Haze posted:

the losses of major characters and the charisma and chemistry between them is somehing they havent been able to replace.

Ned, Robert, Drogo, Viserys commanded every scene they were in during season 1

Stan, Dave and Mel in Season 2 was good as well as Tywin. Robb and Cat were also good.

Now we have what?

Sand Snakes are awful
Tyrion, Messandei, Gray Worm are awful
Jorah and Daario are awful
Ramsay is tiresome
Dany is alone
Brienne is boring
Arya is boring

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

colonel_korn posted:

I think they've fallen into the trap of thinking that they need shock deaths to keep up the momentum of Seasons 3 and 4 but it's leaving the cast pretty thin.

They're taking the :lost: route. drat, that show still finds a way to make me angry. You're right about the cast getting thin problem. They're definitely not in the best position to introduce new characters.
Either
"I'm Ser Arthur Strongsword, the best knight around who isn't afraid of anybody."
or
"Hi, I'm Tysha. Tyrion's long lost love. Now I'm a Braavosi courtesan who's traveling to Mereen for some reason."

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Groovelord Neato posted:

At least in feast and dance you get the impression everything is slowly moving into where it needs to be and we're going to get big stuff out of it. Like with Clash and what happened in Storms.

The show I never feel that. Everything just rolls from big event to big event that all seems to cumulate in two people sat in one of three rooms having a natter.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

TommyGun85 posted:

the losses of major characters and the charisma and chemistry between them is somehing they havent been able to replace.

Ned, Robert, Drogo, Viserys commanded every scene they were in during season 1

Stan, Dave and Mel in Season 2 was good as well as Tywin. Robb and Cat were also good.

Now we have what?

Sand Snakes are awful
Tyrion, Messandei, Gray Worm are awful
Jorah and Daario are awful
Ramsay is tiresome
Dany is alone
Brienne is boring
Arya is boring

why do you post if you hate this show so much

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

an skeleton posted:

Be sure to go the ASoIaF thread in the Book Barn for the great taste of seething disappointment.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

an skeleton posted:

I dont hate the show. I think it has dipped in quality due to the reasons that I am discussing (charisma of characters) in this thread. Thats what the thread is about : discussion. so kindly gently caress right off if you disagree with something I say and offer no opinion of your own.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

In the fine tradition of asking for a Sand Snakes spinoff:

My Feminist Opinions Ruined "Game of Thrones" for My Boyfriend
Don't try to tell me the act of watching ‪‪Daenerys Targaryen's breasts is a feminist act.

quote:

To me there is little difference between my childhood experience with video games and HBO's megahit Game of Thrones. On paper there's no reason GOT wouldn't interest me. I went to film school and earned an MFA in TV Writing; Game of Thrones is a TV show. My favorite entertainment includes Kurt Vonnegut books, Bruce Springsteen albums, and Steve Martin movies; media made by men, and media my brother and lots of other guys also like. I'm already an HBO subscriber and regularly watch and love many HBO shows. But when Thrones premiered in 2011, it wasn't made nor marketed for me. I wasn't part of a demographic the show cared about reaching.

The 2011 trailer, features images of men fighting each other in various ways while clips of male voiceover say vague things about duty. A woman tearfully chokes out, "That's what men always say when honor calls." A large-chested woman with her shirt open appears twice while a guy says, "All desires are valid to a man with a full purse." Okay, cool, she's a whore, got it. There are, like, ten more clips of swords being drawn and then a bunch of black crows fly away.

What's being advertised is a show whose female characters are secondary to its male characters. We see right away we're in a world we've seen many, many times before in pop culture, one where men must learn to fight and rule and women are there for sex and emotions and stuff, but are never the primary focus. We also see that prostitution is a big deal, which eludes to women being viewed and used as sexual objects often in the world of the show. And so my feelings toward GOT were and have been hard pass.

Just like with Starcraft 2 and Heroes of the Storm (again, I have no idea what I'm saying) there was no point of entry for me with Game of Thrones. So, like all women I know who do watch the show and read the books, I entered the fanbase by recommendation from a man already watching the show AKA the only GOT point of entry for women.

No, instead I did something much messier. I watched the first season of Game of Thrones in preparation for the season six premiere, and, try as I did, I couldn't make it long at all before doing what so many viewers have already done. I called out the show's misogyny.

There are already a bunch of articles and think-pieces on how the show is misogynistic, so I won't waste too much time pointing out the obvious. I hated the way the first season ended with a long, lingering shot of the "powerful" dragon queen's boobs. I didn't like that Lady Catelyn was an intelligent and strong woman who also had to be scorned and humiliated by an affair she knew very little about. There was an evil, manipulative queen. There was a girl who wanted to be a princess and a girl who wanted to be anything but a princess. It all felt very two-dimensional to me. Also, wedding night rape. Also, women becoming powerful because of sex. Also, whores and handmaids. Also, hot whores and handmaids having lesbian sex!

Calling out its misogyny started a dialogue between my boyfriend and me I don't think either one of us were anticipating nor were fully prepared to have. Like I said earlier, my boyfriend is a great person who is very socially aware and is not at all sexist. But as a long-time fan of both the books and the show, he'd already read all its articles and fan-theories; he knew the show's marketed and fan-created defenses.

My natural thought watching GOT was one so many other women (and men) have already had: If this is a fantasy show, why are we being forced to watch women struggle through the sexist bullshit we've already seen and lived through so many times over? Why not create a new world, where both dragons and equality exist?

There's a lot more, but this is the best part

quote:

In waking up to its feminist shortcomings, my boyfriend has offered to stop watching the show altogether (though I'm not sure how serious that offer was). He feels guilty for liking a show I have so many problems with. And I feel guilty for making him dislike, if even just a little, his favorite show.

http://www.xojane.com/entertainment/my-feminist-opinions-ruined-game-of-thrones-for-my-boyfriend

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

poo poo, nobody tell her about how women in medieval Europe were treated. It'll just ruin her day.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MrSlam posted:

poo poo, nobody tell her about how women in medieval Europe were treated. It'll just ruin her day.

Game of Thrones is not a documentary on Medieval Europe

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
It incorporates social norms of that period.

e: Also, she says she has a MFA, but then this:

quote:

My natural thought watching GOT was one so many other women (and men) have already had: If this is a fantasy show, why are we being forced to watch women struggle through the sexist bullshit we've already seen and lived through so many times over? Why not create a new world, where both dragons and equality exist?

Because through struggle comes growth, characters who persevere and succeed despite having the odds against them are more interesting than characters that have everything handed to them. One of the main characters is a dwarf, and has to fight for everything in life, and that makes him interesting and someone to root for.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 18, 2016

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Game of Thrones is not a documentary on Medieval Europe

A documentary on Medieval Europe would probably be easier to follow and wouldn't rely on Deus ex Draco.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Frosted Flake posted:

Don't try to tell me the act of watching ‪‪Daenerys Targaryen's breasts is a feminist act.

http://www.xojane.com/entertainment/my-feminist-opinions-ruined-game-of-thrones-for-my-boyfriend

The sad truth is that people like her are ruining the show not just for the poor sob that is her boyfriend, but for everyone because it provokes the writers to do bad things like Dorne.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Narmi posted:

It incorporates social norms of that period.

oftentimes incorrectly.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Insanely twisted, hosed up opinion: the winds of winter will be good

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Insanely correct opinion: the posting of the article will bring nothing good to this thread

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Narmi posted:

Because through struggle comes growth, characters who persevere and succeed despite having the odds against them are more interesting than characters that have everything handed to them. One of the main characters is a dwarf, and has to fight for everything in life, and that makes him interesting and someone to root for.

Forget it Narmi, it's Chinatown.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

drunken officeparty posted:

Insanely correct opinion: the posting of the article will bring nothing good to this thread

Hmm how about this one?

White privilege of Westeros: “Game of Thrones” finally addresses its racial politics

quote:

“The Book Of The Stranger” offers a look at privilege, both in terms of rulers and their subjects and—more saliently to our world—that of white powerbrokers with little skin in the game as compared to the people of color who are daily fighting in the trenches. It is no accident that former slaves Missandei and Grey Worm are people of color, while Dany and Tyrion, their well-meaning and oft-blundering white “allies.” Tyrion still doesn’t know how to speak Valyrian, and he has the temerity to assume that his brief experience of slavery, where he was a prized acquisition of known Good Guy Jorah Mormont, is even remotely similar to the terrorization and brutality endured by Missandei and Grey Worm and the rest of the slaves in this part of the world.

http://www.salon.com/2016/05/16/white_privilege_of_westeros_game_of_thrones_finally_addresses_its_racial_politics/

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Frosted Flake posted:

Hmm how about this one?

White privilege of Westeros: “Game of Thrones” finally addresses its racial politics

http://www.salon.com/2016/05/16/white_privilege_of_westeros_game_of_thrones_finally_addresses_its_racial_politics/

So Tyrion not speaking Valyrian, the language that is named after the whitest of all white people, even more white than the White Walkers who have a blueish tone to their skin, is now a sign that he disrespects people of color? Please.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

GaussianCopula posted:

So Tyrion not speaking Valyrian, the language that is named after the whitest of all white people, even more white than the White Walkers who have a blueish tone to their skin, is now a sign that he disrespects people of color? Please.

I feel like the author is the kind of person who tries to order Mexican food in Spanish and stumbles through Vietnamese when they order pho.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

It is funny that the Valyrians were so pale considering that their original homeland lies southwest of Slaver's Bay. Chalk it up to magic, I suppose.

Also, Jorah and Tyrion were sold into slavery after they got captured by some sub-Saharan African Summer Islander pirates. I wonder if the author has even heard of the Barbary Corsairs, or knows the etymology of the word "slave"?

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Hmm how about this one?

Is there like a quota on outrage that writers need to fulfill? They just find something popular, skim the show wiki, then pretend they know what they're talking about? Almost every single point used to support their argument is wrong (Tyrion has a vault full of gold? The Lannisters are basically broke, even if they weren't, they would take kindly to Tywin's killer coming back and asking if he could crash at Casterly Rock).

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
The whole Tyrion-in-Mereen experience, and the last episode in particular, feels racist as gently caress. At the very least it's tone-deaf. I mean, not just a white guy, but a literal feudal aristocrat with an English accent and zero clue about the locals is running the city and high-handedly lecturing the darkies about slavery. If only there was a second such man willing to come over to Essos, they could get together and draw lines on the map to solve all the continent's problems.

Hell, he was put in charge, apparently on Daario's authority, because the black guy figurehead was too stupid and obviously none of the local stock were qualified. Now we've apparently even abandoned the figurehead charade and Tyrion is ruling openly.

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 18, 2016

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't know why so many journalists mistakenly equate depiction with endorsement these days

Not to be incendiary but it's usually some useless pop culture journalist talking about supposed misogyny in tv shows

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
Ever since Grantland closed down I turn to BlackNerdProblems for my GoT recaps and they actually addressed the privilege thing in their latest recap here. There isn't some huge thesis like with the Salon article, but I agree with the main point.

quote:

In Meereen, Tyrion is trying to broker a peace with the slavers and before this poo poo gets started, Missandei and Grey Worm are FED UP. Look, Tyrion that dude, he’s BEEN that dude. But right now, your boy is in the super “well intentioned but White as all hell” ally status. Tyrion is the guy who hears folks talking about racism and butts in with some “but Irish people were the first slaves” type poo poo. Tyrion was a slave for about the same length of time between when that reporter asked Rachel Dolezal if her father was Black and when Rachel Dolezal walked off camera without answering the question. But he out here telling Brown folks that were born into slavery how horrible that poo poo was. Aiight fam.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

The Little Kielbasa posted:

The whole Tyrion-in-Mereen experience, and the last episode in particular, feels racist as gently caress. At the very least it's tone-deaf. I mean, not just a white guy, but a literal feudal aristocrat with an English accent and zero clue about the locals is running the city and lecturing the darkies about slavery. If only there was a second such man willing to come over to Essos, they could get together and draw lines on the map to solve all the continent's problems.

Hell, he was put in charge, apparently on Daario's authority, because the black guy figurehead was too stupid and obviously none of the local stock were qualified. Now we've apparently even abandoned the figurehead charade and Tyrion is ruling openly.

It could be intentional. At the very least, it's the vibe I got at the end of the episode, where Dany was less white savior and more ruthless conqueror. I might be giving the show too much credit.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Imperialism is bad

mortal
Oct 12, 2012

The whole Tyrion-in-Mereen experience, and the last episode in particular, feels racist as gently caress. At the very least it's tone-deaf. I mean, not just a white guy, but a literal feudal aristocrat with an English accent and zero clue about the locals is running the city and high-handedly lecturing the darkies about slavery. If only there was a second such man willing to come over to Essos, they could get together and draw lines on the map to solve all the continent's problems.

Roman Reigns posted:

It could be intentional. At the very least, it's the vibe I got at the end of the episode, where Dany was less white savior and more ruthless conqueror. I might be giving the show too much credit.

It is absolutely intentional with Dany's rule in the books, which is an Iraq war allegory. Having an advisor try to rule while being undercut by people more familiar with the place and culture is even more on the nose.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Roman Reigns posted:

You are.

quote:

As Clarke excitedly describes the scene to EW: “It’s so exciting, very tingly-making. Every season I get at least one spine-chilling moment. I just stand up and I go, ‘I’m hearing what you’re all saying, but funny thing, I’m going to kill you all. I forgot that I have an ace in my back pocket and now I win.’”

quote:

“That’s what’s most fun about this,” Weiss says. “You know from the first season that, as you say, it’s her ‘superpower,’ but this is not really that type of story. It’s almost like the revelation she had when Jorah and Daario come to the rescue. She’s like, ‘Wait, I can do something none of these people can do and now that these two people can help me, I can use that to my advantage.’ It’s a very simple solution, a plan where you can use three people to take out dozens in a very dramatic way by just lighting things on fire and standing there.”

And by taking out the Dothraki leadership and showing her power to their followers, the queen of Meereen potentially gains an even larger army. “She realizes that this is the missing piece,” Clarke says. “The Dothraki are the missing piece of her crew – she’s seemingly indestructible having Dothraki on her side.”
It's actually totally empowering when the white protagonist defeats the rapist savages by virtue of her superior genetics, burning down their house of worship with them trapped inside it. :waycool:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

This is a good point.

But it might really be intentional. From Grey Worm speech to him last episode, I got the feeling the he was pretty right on how it was actually that masters manipulating Tyrion, and not the other way around. Tyrion is underestimating the situation and the players involved and I think is likely that his awesome plan will backfire soon

EDIT: my theory is that the masters are going to pretend that they are following his plans and the harpies will lay low for a couple of episodes. Then they will strike when they let the guard down, and possibly kill Grey Worm and/or cripple the city defenses badly. Then Yunkai and Asthapor send they armies and siege Meeren. And that's when Dany comes to save the day with riding Drogon with her knew horde behind and crush then all

EDIT 2: so I guess the moral of the story is: those white westeros conquerors cant rule slaver's bay for poo poo but they sure are great at killing and wrecking everything up

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

colonel_korn posted:

You are.

It's actually totally empowering when the white protagonist defeats the rapist savages by virtue of her superior genetics, burning down their house of worship with them trapped inside it. :waycool:

I am generally able to suspend my disbelief enough to enjoy this show and dont really care about all the social commentary BUT

as a building inspector, I was unhappy that a wood and straw structure doused in oil (which can travel up a stair no less) and set on fire wouldn't have its roof collapse crushing Dany in the process. Also, I guess Dany is immune to fire but also has lungs and eyes that are immune to smoke inhalation. That the stone burned faster than the flammable wood door barring the entrance was also nice.

anyways, ive learned things are more enjoyable when you dont nitpick in a fantasy show. This is, afterall, just tits and dragons, people!

• Locked thread