Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the image in the second post?
A man's face
Butterfly
A koi
A dog
A small boat floating in a lake
Funyarinpa
View Results

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

because of its success in the west they are desperate to court more western gamers, thus these graphics, the less mainstream anime style and the pc release. it could work, but tbh i don't see anyone who isn't already into these sort of games picking up part 3 of a series because they changed the graphics a bit to appeal to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

another japanese series made worse by trying to appeal to fail western gamers

smdh

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Paul Zuvella posted:

It just seems like a bizarre choice. It's really, really bad, no person who is not already of fan of the series is going to see that and be swayed to buy the game. It only seems like it could potentially alienate fans of the series. And without a doubt it was more work/money than what they did in VLR.

I'd say it was probably cheaper. Animating a model is a lot easier than drawing a new portrait.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The only reason the game exists is the pre existing fans, so they may not be concerned with newbies.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

i don't see how ZTD's any less anime tbh

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I really don't think they are that bad at all. Some of you are acting like they're on par with a war crime.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The models look a little silly at times (especially Diana's :stonk: face), but I'm sure I'll get used to them. I only watched a little of the gameplay video but I hope it's still a VN style "press a button to continue the line" thing instead of straight up cutscenes :saddowns:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Motto posted:

you know that even the smallest excuse is good enough for people to delude themselves into saying its not anime

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Motto posted:

Didn't they say themselves that the new art style was an attempt to appeal to westerners more? If they hadn't then I wouldn't really think so, but I really like the new art in general.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I think a lot of people who are inclined to read VNs have a certain tolerance for, or even a fondness for, lovely art.

Case in point:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So should I buy the 3DS version or a PSTV (Currently on sale on Amazon for $40?!!!) plus the Vita version?

Does anyone here have experience with VLR on a PSTV?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Raxivace posted:

So should I buy the 3DS version or a PSTV (Currently on sale on Amazon for $40?!!!) plus the Vita version?

I played VLR entirely on the PSTV. It was fine. Took a little getting used to emulating touch controls for puzzles, but I didn't have an issue with it again after like 20 minutes.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Raxivace posted:

if you get a pstv you get a graphically superior version and the option to enjoy a bunch of other games too. although you should know that the pstv isn't a great console at all

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

It's really not. Good for VNs and La-Mulana and...something else I'm sure.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly it's probably only some VN's that I would play on it. Maybe the Vita version of Persona 4 as well.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I've bought games by themselves that cost more than the price of a PSTV+ZTD, so while it's a completely useless system, it's not really the end of the world if you take the plunge. You can't really download anything without getting a memory card though, and that would be a waste of money.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

mikeycp posted:

It's really not. Good for VNs and La-Mulana and...something else I'm sure.

hey now, you got atelier and tales as well. i was talking more about the hardware and how random stuff doesnt work on it tho

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

How big of a memory card would I need if I don't plan on digitally downloading games?

Davincie posted:

hey now, you got atelier and tales as well. i was talking more about the hardware and how random stuff doesnt work on it tho
What do you mean by random stuff that doesn't work?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

theres a big list of games that don't run on it for arbitrary reasons

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

It comes with a gig of memory, so if you aren't downloading games then you don't need a memory card.

Davincie posted:

theres a big list of games that don't run on it for arbitrary reasons

It's mainly stuff that uses the touch screen though, isn't it? Technically you can use that on the PSTV, but it's so awkward that you might as well call it unplayable if the game requires normal use of them. Having the list just causes less complaints.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the only game i can think of that matters that didn't run was memories of celceta and that got patched

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Thanks for the info everyone. I think I will just splurge a little bit and get the PSTV.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

the only game i can think of that matters that didn't run was memories of celceta and that got patched

i dont know where raxivacr lives, but it didn't get patched in europe. VC2 doesn't work here either

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Davincie posted:

i dont know where raxivacr lives, but it didn't get patched in europe. VC2 doesn't work here either

oh i didn't know what

VC2 is pretty meh though and can be played on a psp/emulator

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Davincie posted:

I live in the U.S. fwiw.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Davincie posted:

hey now, you got atelier and tales as well.

I completely forgot about Atelier! So it's good for that too.

Don't give a poo poo about Tales, but if that's your thing, I guess those work too.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

As we approach a month to release I remember how empty this thread probably will be due to the way the game mechanics work

Well, except for the few people who don't give a poo poo about spoiling everything I suppose

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

:shepface:

It's like someone installed the trial demo for Facerig and tried to mess around on it for the first time. Except this is, you know, professional animation from an established video game studio.

E: poo poo, I just checked. Unlike 999 and VLR which were developed by Chunsoft, ZTD is being developed by a company called Chime this time around. That probably explains the wonky animation issues if it's from a different company not used to the ZTE series.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 22, 2016

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Her eyes are horrifying. It reminds me of the horrible cutscenes when Twisted Metal decided to move to CG.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
It actually kinda reminds me of Live2D

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Live2d looks better

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I just finished Uncharted 4, and I'm still not that bothered by the graphics in ZTD. I'm just happy it's coming out at all! The budget was probably a complete joke.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, I don't really care, it doesn't even look that bad to me tbh

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Oh god, what I didn't notice until now is at 0:42 on that video where they cut away to do a pitter pitter patter instead of animating Sigma and Diana walking up to Phi.

Now that's actually kinda jarring.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I got the PSTV in the mail today, but it doesn't want to seem to recognize my Dualshock 3, which works just fine on my PS3. I've been plugging it into the PSTV like the screen says, making sure the PS3 is unplugged etc.

Any ideas how to fix this?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Try un/replugging the PSTV and trying again. I have a lot of controller sync issues with mine and that usually fixes it.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Raxivace posted:

So I got the PSTV in the mail today, but it doesn't want to seem to recognize my Dualshock 3, which works just fine on my PS3. I've been plugging it into the PSTV like the screen says, making sure the PS3 is unplugged etc.

Any ideas how to fix this?

dumb question but did you hit the PS button on the controller

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah I've been pressing the button. Doesn't seem to do anything.

mikeycp posted:

Try un/replugging the PSTV and trying again. I have a lot of controller sync issues with mine and that usually fixes it.
I'll try doing this a few more times.

EDIT: Ugh, not really getting any progress...

EDIT 2: Got it! I just had to reset the controller!

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 24, 2016

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
As long as the story is fun and batshit, I don't really mind if the graphics are crummy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Davincie posted:

And TxK. TxK on a PSTV is deep joy.

• Locked thread