Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

[image]

Ahh um, this is the introduction interview, for that Alliance Initiative program, right? Okay, I think I can do this...
"Uh, Hi I'm Anne Finnley, or as the public calls me by my hero name, G-Good Vibrations. I've only been a sponsored hero for about three months, but everyone already has high hopes for me so I don't want to let them down. I'll do my best I guess!"

quote:

1. What corporation in the Corporate Alliance approached you? What do they make/do/research?
"I'm sponsored by a media talent agency called Ten5 Productions who are also in a partnership with a company called AudioWave that develops a lot of the equipment I use. Ten5 contacted me after I started getting kind of big in the online scene. They're a pretty new corporation, and I'm one of the first heroes they've produced. I-I guess in that sense there's a lot riding on my success, right?"

quote:

2. What hero do you look up to, and from what Generation do they hail? Are they still alive? Still active?
"I was always a bit of a fan of Maestro Musician. I guess he was from the "Worst Generation", but he wasn't anything like that at all! He was truly an amazing man, always refined and never caused any unnecessary damage. He could turn music into a tangible force, it's kind of poetic in a way isn't it? I guess when I think about it, he was what drove me to develop my abilities this way, though they are a lot more crude and destructive than his were.
Unfortunately he disappeared a few years ago. No one knows what happened to him, or even if he's still alive. It's a bit sad, really..."

quote:

3. What is your opinion on the Heroic Sponsorship program?
"Everyone in my team is already so c-cool, I'm actually a little nervous. They all look way more qualified than me, to be honest! I kind of ask myself if it's really fair if someone like me is really qualified to be with these people, but if they think I'm the right choice then I'm going to have to do my best. I hope they don't think I'm too much of a burden."

quote:

When did you first use your powers?
"Ahh, well the very first time it really manifested, it's kind of a depressing topic so I'd rather not talk about it, I'm sorry. Instead why don't I talk about my first hero job, it's a little funny I guess; my first job was supposed to be kind of simple, stop a local burglary and then w-wow the crowd with my powers to boost awareness. See, my ability can get a bit scary at times, but usually I can control it sort of. W-well, the burglars were stopped, in a sense.. I-I guess you could say that things got a little, s-shaky...? I was only supposed to knock them unconscious with a shockwave, but I messed up and accidentally wrecked the street instead! A lot of people were startled by that, they thought it was an earthquake at first haha, ah, I guess that's not really funny, isn't it..."

quote:

Who was the first person you accidentally hurt with your powers?
Declines to answer

quote:

Who, outside the team, can help you control your powers?
"My powers get a lot more erratic when I get stressed out, but music usually helps to calm me down. Something about the vibrations caused by a melody helps me bring my own rhythm in sync. Though I guess that's not really a person, right? Sorry, hmm, if I had to choose a person, maybe my producer, Marco? He's a scary looking man, but he's actually pretty nice."

quote:

Why do you continue to use your powers?
"I can't really help it, I think my ability is always active. If I remember correctly about science class, it may have something to do with atoms and how they're always vibrating, but I can't be too sure. Even now, I'm relying on these dampeners developed by AudioWave, that's why I can keep calm even right now when I'm being interviewed. Ah, but I guess I'm a bit calmer now anyways, this isn't too bad!
But moreso than that, I think I want to try coming out of my shell. This may become a dangerous job, but they gave me an opportunity to renew my life, and I want to take it. If it means I can learn to control my powers so that no one has to get hurt by them anymore, then I'll do it."

quote:

Why do you care about the team?
"I guess it's because besides the people at Ten5, they're the first real group of people I've been around in a long time. I'd like it if I could make some friends. Ah, I guess that kind of thing sounds kind of fanciful, huh?"

quote:

Hero Name: 「Good Vibrations」
Mask: Nova
Costume: [link]
Abilities: Vibration control

Labels:
Freak: +2
Danger: +2
Savior: 0
Superior: 0
Mundane: -1

Moves
Reality Storm: You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 Burn to directly engage a threat using your powers, rolling + Freak instead of + Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you spend another Burn.

Worship: You put out a tremendous display of your might. Spend 1 Burn to awe an audience into silence, respect, and attention when you unleash your powers.

Move: Spend 1 Burn to move to any place you choose within the scene, breaking through or slipping past any barriers or restraints in your way.

Overcharge: You let loose with the full torrent of your powers without restraint. Spend 1 Burn and mark a condition to take a 10+ on unleashing your powers.

Moment of Truth
It’s like your mind’s eye opens up, and you can see the world around you like never before. You can control it, at will, with ease. Of course, warping reality tends to have ramifications down the line, but in your moment of godhood...how could you possibly be worried?

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you see fear in their eyes. If they say no, take +1 forward and mark potential. If they say yes, immediately shift your Danger up and Savior down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them how you think they can stop you. Give them Influence over you, and clear a Condition

When our team first came together…
We destroyed our surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did we destroy?

Relationships
You hang out all the time with __________________, to blow off steam.

You once hurt ________________ when you lost control of your powers.

Influence
Choose your demeanor: Happy facade or locked down.
If you choose locked down, give influence to 1 teammate.

quote:

File on Anne Finnley

quote:

The incident, covering the first major occurrence of ability usage along with registered aftermath
February 11, 20XX. An unassuming average day, Anne and co. [3 children average age 9, collectively determined to be Anne's friends at the time of incident: Cartwright James (M), Stillman Clarence (M), Yamamoto Mizuki (F)] walking home from school. Estimated time 3:24pm, group is passed by 2 men in a van. They attempt to kidnap the children [proposed rationale: two of the children come from wealthy families]. Incident drives Anne into a stress caused frenzy. He ability to control vibrations runs berserk and razes the surrounding area of an estimated 20 meters. Destruction manifested in crumbled and cracked roads, nearby windows cracked, and a general sense of shell shock to all afflicted. Incident gravely injured both men, Anne's friends unfortunately caught in the crossfire, though none as hurt as the men. This incident causes Anne to retreat from society, fearing being ostracized by her peers. It is hypothesized that she found solace in composing music at around this point as a coping mechanism, and resulting from this, was eventually convinced to sign on as an artist for the multi media producing agency, Ten5.

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

KittyEmpress posted:

It doesn't have to be too long - usually I give 3-4 paragraphs of my character's youth + family + what inspired them kind of things, as well as any questions done separately :)

I tried to work her actual backstory into the questions from the Playbook. Anyway, I think I'd call her app finished, at least for now.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

KittyEmpress posted:

Wizkid, the Beacon - So no real powers, just good at learning and with some neat tech - you must have a few nay sayers. What Hero has spoken out about it being a bad idea?

Hero? You mean, heroes, right? I’m really popular, you see...

”PuffPost” posted:

HALCYON CITY -- The Homeland Association for the Protection of Powered Youth (Ed. I don’t have to tell you what that acronym stands for do I? ugh :rolleye: --Wiz) has registered a protest today with the Hero Sponsorship Commission regarding the Corporate Alliance Initiative’s taking applicants for their new mascot team from mostly adolescent empowered heroes, and citing specifically the nomination by Superfly Vast Cosmic Arena of Daniel Go, a.k.a. “Wizkid”, who is classified by the Fenghuang Institute as possessing Code Black “Tortoise” power level.

“While everyone is joined together by the consequences of the Event,” said Lisa Q, retired second generation hero who founded the Homeland Association, “we have to understand the limits that are placed upon us. It is our shared responsibility to protect those of us who need it the most. I know this as much as anyone, so I hope that the Alliance will hear our plea, as well as the Commission, and help put an end to the exploitation of our youth by corporate interests.”

Lisa Q founded the Association after losing her former sidekick, and legacy successor Suzy Q, a third generation hero that was had a controversial association with several scandals, including allegations of drug addiction, in her young career, and then in a tragic altercation with the dreaded Puppet Minder, was killed. Since then, the Association has sought to prevent what they define as “exploitative” practices of young superheroes, especially low-powered ones like Daniel Go, an internet celebrity previously known for video game content, who has already been hospitalized twice in vigilantism that has yet to be prosecuted.

“This kind of behavior will only inspire copycats who will endanger themselves needlessly,” said Statesman today, who is a known contributor to HAPPY. “We cannot let them play with the lives of our new generation so haplessly! This isn’t a game, after all.”

Neither the Commission nor the Alliance could be reached for comment.

All press is good press, right, Maze? I’m kind of excited they know my name. Yeah, it’s a little disheartening, but they’ll learn I’m not a joke, and I’m not going away.

Oh, the Code Black thing? That’s new, haven’t you heard? Fenghuang came up with some color codes for heroes and villains, though it’s not standardized yet, most organizations have their own metrics and Fenghuang hasn’t released the algorithms they used to determine. They just release the database.

Top of the list is Code Azure, or “Dragon”, but there’s also Gold (also Dragon), for the top tier stuff. Code Vermillion or “Phoenix” is B-class, especially stuff that they think has time to develop. Code White or “Tiger” is what most powered heroes are, stronger than the baseline, but still, well, “mortal.” Code Black, or “Tortoise” (that’s me!) means your power is no danger to anyone or yourself, and thus you’re barely even superpowered. That’s what most of humanity is, really.

Nice and neat, isn’t it? Too bad it’s not too flexible. Love a ranking system, but this doesn’t allow for much mobility. Just gonna have to consider it then a challenge for its own sake, no cheevos.

So this is the part where I say, “but at least I have blank to support me.” Well, there isn’t a single hero I can think of that has said “keep doing what you’re doing, kid, you’re going places.” I’ve got Maze, she believes in me, and myself, and the team (Maybe???). But it’s OK. I know what that means. I respect their opinion. They think I’m going to inspire people to put themselves in danger in my example, but that isn’t it at all.

It’s not just about the marketing. I really do want to change the world.

sidebar: even my followers though sometimes get in shots.

”Twitch.tv Stream Comments” posted:

A few months ago, when Daniel was knocked clean cold by one of the Hotogisu thugs, the CAMEO glasses a bit cracked but still transmitting.

lawine: What’s going on? Im so far behind

Exrandude: WIZ

sunnydaze: :ohdear:

seesaws4salamanders: yessss

PaxBisonica: Blood for the blood god!

utternostalgic: please this is just for show

trickydicky: get good, scrub

sunnydaze: im going to call the police

lawine: Seriously whats going on my stream isnt loading

KittyEmpress posted:

What's gone wrong during your training with this experimental technology?

Man, it wasn't easy. You know how it is around crunch time for QA and programmers? They had me going 20 hours at a time, running stress tests. The cube is a projector, and the wand is an antenna more than remote, providing a marker for where the projections are supposed to go, either around it, or where it's pointing. What was perfect about the software is it's designed for gaming. Every gesture and command is interfaced such that you just, well, do what you need to do. Swing it like a sword, hold it like a shield, position it as a throttle, whatever.

The thing is, it requires a lot of programming, and a lot of practice of very specific moves. They are trying to get it down to more general and user-friendly, but in this prototype, because I can do even the tightest gestures and frame-perfect movements, whether my eyes, my fingers (these gloves? part of the system), the remote or even my voice, they can be a little more free with how advanced they go. Still.. I kind of have forgotten about school like, completely. I think I'm flunking, because I can't remember anything but the movements, plus all my responsibilities, and just everything I want to do with all this power they've given me. It's a literal strain.

There's also the glitches. A lot of the time it's input lag, stuttering, or sometimes a lock-up. Standard stuff. Other times, it gets a little weird. You see, it;s kind of a mystery to everyone but Scape exactly how the cube works. It kind of breaks the laws of physics, actually. It doesn't have a power source to speak of. Scape claims that it relies on "quantum prismatics" to create the hard-light. I think he's just making that up. Thing is, the projections can get... weird. They can start bending the rules a bit. There's a gravity peripheral, for instance, that they had me try out. It didn't just change my gravity. It changed the gravity of the entire room I was in. I'm told that it might have created a microscopic black hole too, at least that's what I think they meant when they said that there was a "Helvetica scenario" in the Heisenberg chamber (the empty one next to mine that I don't exactly understand the purpose of).

Maybe it's not a great idea then that I've started to try and use the glitches to my advantage. The most, uh, memorable example is when I stuttered SWORD in my swing so that it lagged forward and blinked inside the ballistic gel target instead of cutting into it. The hard light coming into being in the same locality as the molecules of the gelatin had a fantastic and explosive effect. I was covered in it, and so was the room. Everyone was a bit upset, and I mean, splitting atoms isn't something you should do solely for fun. But this was, uh, science, right? It did make me deaf in one ear for a week, so I haven't tried it since.

... There was that other time too. Maybe I was trying to write my own code, I'll admit it. Maybe I wanted to learn how the photonic programming worked. I already had a homebrew suite of HUD and add-ons for CAMEO that made managing my cube projection easier, but something reacted. They never told me if it was a security measure, or a glitch, or... something else. But when I tried to crack open the cube, it reacted. I got trapped in a shining trapezohedron of hard light. I was completely deaf to the world, and could see nothing outside of it. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get out, and my panic worsened my chances of survival as I hella hyperventilated my oxygen away.

Eventually, though, they fried the machine with some kind of EMP pulse generator. That was a millions of dollars kind of mistake I made. Maze thought it was good that I made it, because I'd never make it again.

For a kid who can learn on a dime, you'd think I'd know better. Want to see a cool trick?

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

Hero Name: Mix-Up
Mask: Delinquent
Look: Man, White, Laughing Eyes, Rebellious Clothing
Costume: No costume
Abilities: Illusions/Tricks, Gadgetry and hacking

Labels
Freak: +0
Danger: +0
Savior: -1
Superior: +3
Mundane: +1

Moves
Team? What team?
When you use Team selfishly, clear a condition or mark potential. The first time in a session that you use Team to help a teammate, take +1 forward.

Criminal mind
When you assess the situation, you can always ask one of the following questions, even on a miss:
  • what here is useful or valuable to me?
  • how could I best infuriate or provoke _______?
  • what’s the best way in/way past?

Are you watching closely?
When you mislead, distract, or trick someone, roll + Superior. On a hit, they are fooled, at least for a moment. On a 10+, choose 3. On a 7-9, choose 2.
  • You get an opportunity.
  • You expose a weakness or flaw.
  • You confuse them for some time.
  • You avoid further entanglement.
On a miss, you're hopelessly embroiled in it and under pressure; mark a condition.

Belong in two worlds (Online community)
You have the resources that come with your station. Whenever you contact your people, roll + Superior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but your people make an uncomfortable demand of you. Spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
  • receive a useful piece of alien technology that will allow you to use any ability from another playbook once (choose the ability when you spend the hold)
  • consult your people’s knowledge to ask the GM a question about the current situation
  • clear a condition through the comfort of contact with your home

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they think you're cool. If they say yes, give them Influence and take Influence over them. If they say no, mark a condition or spurn them immediately. Either way, add a team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them influence over you, and ask them who they'd like you to be. Mark potential if you show them that person. Add a team to the pool no matter what.

Advanced
  • Take a move from another playbook (Belong in two worlds)

quote:

When our team first came together...
We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?

Shibboleth, yeah? So turns out the old guy - and I only knew he was an old guy because the others told me so, hard to tell with all the tentacles and... things - has a thing with thinking his villain name is totally awesome. Which was good, because at the start I was at a bit of a loss how I was going to, uh, distract that thing, it was kind of freaky. Wasn't really feeling up to going toe-to-tentacle with it! He kiiinda got upset about me calling him out on his name not really making sense with his whole thing and me asking him whether he just opened an English/Hebrew dictionary and picked something that sounded 'ooooh, mystical and unpronounceable'. Cue one tentacle smashing into a hologram of me. Me suggesting 'You-Suckoth' as a new, more accurate name? Another tentacle attack.

Buuuuut we were kind of not getting anywhere, so I knew we'd have to do something big! There were all kinds of dimensional disruptions around him, and it'd make sense, yeah? He's all 'the thing from the maw of madness' - don't mean the internet, where, Princess Patriot tells me later, this whole thing started? - but, uh... well, tentacles and all that! So, we have to shut down that connection, only we briefly have to properly open the connection to really be able to close it. No big deal, right? You'd think so! But after the fight, after I helped Pretty Witch Circe to cut off Shibboleth's connection to his mystic mojo - by opening the connection for just one tiny second, then closing it properly right away! - turns out that that is apparently messing with 'things man was not meant to understand' and blah blah blah and it was 'incredibly irresponsible' and maaaaaan, get off my case.

It all worked out and besides! Some tentacled horror was already right there! But apparently you're only supposed to mess with that kind of stuff when you have a big beard, at least, Mister Mystic didn't give me any better reason when he chewed my ear off about magic tradition and keeping the realms in balance and pfffff.

Relationships
You keep trying to impress Pretty Witch Circe with your antics.
You and Corsage pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.

Influence
You care way more than you let on. Give three teammates influence over you.

Oh hey, you wanna know about Mix-Up, right? Yeah, I bet you heard about me. It's cool, you can come over, I don't bite. I smile too, that thing there, that's just the press photo. So, what do you want to know? Just interested in general? Uh, you're trying to talk to me because I'm a superhero, right? Because I am one! I mean, I guess it's pretty cool, if you're into that. But trust me, I am totally a superhero, only not your standard, 'seen one, seen them all' superhero. Actually, you can totally trust me in general.

Ooooh, of course, it's because I'm not wearing a 'costume' and everyone knows superheroes wear costumes, yeah? Pfft. Whatever. I don't need wrap myself into a uniform that looks like a flag to be able to be a superhero, just because everyone else does it. Being a superhero is about being a hero and being super, yeah? And being a hero is all about what you do, like kicking some bonkers villain's rear end and helping people, and being super, well... that's about having powers, yeah? Okay, check this out! I snap my fingers and... boom, I'm gone!

Hahahaha, you should look at your face. You were totally talking to a hologram of me, suddenly I'm gone and then you were like 'whuuuut'. But you're totally talking to the real me now, trust me. Pretty sweet, right? And you have no idea, that's nothing compared to what I can do if I really use my powers. I'll just upload some videos to your smartphone. Oh, no need, I already have access. That security is laughable! So, I have superpowers, I do heroic stuff, thus, I am a superhero, no costume needed. Q.E.D.

Uh, what? Where do I know 'Q.E.D.' from? Uh, I heard it from... some... guy. I saw it on a t-shirt? Listen, never mind that, and if you ever find some pictures online that people are saying are me before I became Mix-Up where I, I don't know, am wearing glasses and I have bad posture and am standing in front of some science stuff and I look like some nerd - not that there's anything wrong with that - that is totally not me. Just tell me and I'll take those pics down, because, man, people on the internet will say anything just to make others think I'm not cool, am I right?

Heeeey, we haven't talked about how I got my powers. Everyone always wants to know about that, like that is the most important part. It's just like with the costume, they don't want to see the person, it's like they're picking out a car. I want a Red Toyota Mirage. I want a red-green speedster. Pff. But yeah, my powers. So my school got attacked by some guy called The Colonist who, get this, infects us with nanomachine colonies. Points for creativity right there. Long story short, The Colonist gets defeated by some superheroes, most of my schoolmates 'release' the nanomachines – not me though. They react kind of funny with my body and I maaaay have tried to jailbreak those babies using a guide I found online. I didn't get more muscles – uh, not that I wanted to, it's fine, people confusing me for a girl are just ignorant, doesn't bother me – but it all worked out pretty well in the end, yeah? I got my holograms, I can 'interface' with all kind of technology and I can also make all kinds of gadgets.

But, actually, whatever. The powers, that's not what I'm all about. All kinds of people have superpowers. And you'd think that now that they finally can do something on their own, they would, yeah? Hahaha, no. Nope, it's all rules this, responsibility that, tradition and 'the larger picture' and it's sad, really. You've got these damned awesome abilities, and you could make your own decisions, but what do you do? You just let others tell you what to do. No, even worse, you let others tell you what to think, let them tell you who you are. That is totally bullshit.

We don't need a rerun of something that got stale 10 years ago. We don't need others to make us into mini versions of themselves. If they're so great, what do they need us for? They always act like they have all the answers, but, pff, I'm not fooled. Buuut not everyone is like me, so it's up to me to keep everyone on their toes, and call everyone on their bullshit when I see it. I'm just doing it for their own good. Aaaaand, sometimes it can be really hilarious too.

You agree with me, right? If you don't, well, get lost.

Uh, you do agree with me though, right?

Aaaaaaanyway, that's enough for today. Watch my fingers, I snap them and was I ever really there?

quote:

How did you get your powers?
I already talked about that, yeah? The Colonist, infected by nanomachines, jailbreaking them, etc. Of course, I was the only one affected that got superpowers from that, as far as I know, all my other schoolmates are just normal as can be now. Me? Not that I would ever want to give up my powers, buuuut... I actually couldn't, if I wanted to. The namomachines 'bonded' to me now, which is good, because some jerks in suits from the government – I think? - confiscated the rest. The only pity is that I don't think I can get them to do anything else anymore, so, raincheck on making myself able to play the bass for now.

quote:

What do you do for fun?
I'm a bit of an amateur photographer, and let me tell you, with my holograms and my tech stuff, I can get some pretty interesting shots now. I also do some urban exploration, mainly because, there's just something about that, yeah?

Annnd perhaps messing with people with my powers, especially with my holograms sometimes. For fun.

Oh, and video games. What?

quote:

Who, outside the team, thinks better of you than you do?
Okay, don't tell anyone that, but... my parents. They're telling me how proud they are of me and all that... parent stuff. It's kind of embarrassing and I keep wondering whether it's just because they're my parents, but they always seem so sure that I'll do something worthwhile with my life. How can they be so certain?

They mostly have kept out of my superheroing stuff for now - and that's how it should be, yeah? It's been pretty tricky keeping those two things apart when I visit them, I mean, I don't want anyone from the press see me helping with chores around the house or hear them call me 'Reginald' - it's 'Eddy' now!

quote:

Why do you try to be a hero?
Because it's the right thing to do? What is this, a trick question?

Just because I'm not blindly following 'the rules' doesn't mean I'm some kind of jerk. Actually, that's what they always want you to think, yeah? That it's the rules that make you a good guy and ignoring them is what makes you a bad guy, but that is just garbage. Make us all into robots, and then everything will be hunky-dory, why don't you?

Okay, okay, I do wanna use my awesome powers, have some fun, make some trouble – and if I can do some good at the same time, why wouldn't I be doing that? People thinking I'm cool is nice too, of course, not that I really care about that.

I don't!

quote:

Why do you care about the team?
Hey, hey, I'm not some antisocial loner, okay? Being in a team is awesome: where else am I gonna be around so many interesting people that I can kick rear end together with? Doing this all by myself would be bo-ring.

Of course, I'm not going to always play nice just because we're supposed to 'be working together'. If everyone else just always wants to follow along without ever really thinking for themselves, well, then I'm going to be the wrench in that gear. Because that is just stupid. Besides, I know what I'm doing better than others – so of course I sometimes need to go it alone before everyone gets to tell me that no, that's totally a bad idea because bla bla bla whatever.

It's really for the best and for the team, in the end.

quote:

What corporation in the Corporate Alliance approached you? What do they make/do/research?
I'm being sponsored by Hobby Fanatic Factory. They make miniatures and figurines, but they've been branching out and are now producing merchandising for superhero teams. So, they set me up with these tiny invisible flying 3D cameras and I'm supposed to get some action shots of the team because obviously Hobby Fanatic Factory has the rights for them, but not other superheroes.

Now when it comes to villains – this is kind of funny – since they're already criminals, they don't get merchandising rights so they and their henchmen are free game.

And I have to advertise for that merchandise, which, ughhh...

quote:

What hero do you look up to, and from what Generation do they hail? Are they still alive? Still active?
That'd be the Eternal Partisan. What, surprised? Now listen, just because she's a 'mainstream' hero from The Greatest Generation doesn't mean I look down on her, okay? Sure, she did all this cheesy, old-timey 'Tyrants of the World, beware!' stuff, but it was a different time, yeah?

And back then, people would cheer you on when you fought tyrants, not like today. Most of the other heroes during The Great War, they fought at home or on the front lines, but she was behind the front lines. Organizing the resistance, or just... showing people that their so-called masters weren't invincible, weren't as much in control as they pretended! Just one person against tyranny, fighting an, an oppressive system, and getting others to fight too, 'striking at the shackles of tyranny' and...

Sorry. I got something in my eye.

Since she always was behind enemy lines, we don't really know what happened on her last mission, towards the end of The Great War. Just that the mission was a success and she... never came back.

quote:

What is your opinion on the Heroic Sponsorship program?
Lame. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be paid by the government either, like in the old days. But being a superhero shouldn't be about profits, yeah? We should be independent and just be able to do our thing, but we can't and it suuuuucks.

nil. fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 6, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

KittyEmpress posted:

Princess Patriot, the Legacy - What did you say due to your family's influence that got you backlash from the media? How did you move past that? What do you think of the fact that a lot of people your age like to laugh at your family for their outdated views?

My family is kind of involved in politics. They aren't like actively involved but politicians like to be seen with them. We're pretty popular with a demographic of reliable voters. So things I say are just kind of assumed to be meant as political. I just mention how cities have a lot of crime and suddenly it's a national incident. First of all, I am not responsible for who responds to my tweets. And second "the urban culture of thuggery" or whatever isn't a race thing. There's plenty of pasty human detritus you'll see buying cigarettes in a convenience store. They have a different flavor of it usually but that's splitting hairs. And I was trying to lament the urban atmosphere in general. The more people are bunched up together the less community they seem to have. Maybe it's just statistics? With so many people you get a whole lot more criminal minds, but proportionally it's not more than just the bad apples you always get? They're a lot more visible in the city so I'm not convinced. I wouldn't be surprised if just being in a city drove people to act out like that. It seems dreadful being packed in like a sardine. Really something should be done to help those people get out of there.
Well for damage control I released a statement apologizing for carelessly using phrases that people have tainted. It really is a hassle. Like, I understand the idea behind dog whistles. The real scum of the earth is clever enough to not present itself as such. But we can't just decide words don't mean what they used to anymore. Even "law and order" is supposed to be code for locking up black people. It's a bit out of control. Right so I specified that was I talking about the concentration of population made petty crime easier with so many victims to choose from. I tried to turn the conversation to how we can develop solutions to protect so many people in urban centers. But nothing will ever be good enough for the keyboard crusaders.

Ugh, I hate the internet sometimes. It was bad enough when they made that video game about our family. Well it was more about the show. You know people like to talk about how we don't really live in the compound and have mansions or something so we're really yuppies or something? Of course we don't live in the compound for real. Jesus. Firemen don't live at the firestation but there is beds for a reason. Right so I was a silent protagonist in the game. This was years ago when I was just like kind of in one episode and didn't have a hero persona yet. It was weird. It was low budget so it was pretty popular with certain let's players. Ugh. We all risk our lives to protect them and they just deride us. A bunch of sheltered self righteous clueless jerks. If they really want to help they should be doing something instead of nagging. But they don't want to help. That's hard. They just want to feel good about themselves. So they tone police and pat themselves on the back. But they're not really worth my time. Focused on purity of thought they'll just eat themselves if left alone. So that's what I try to do. Don't give them any meat and they'll starve. I need to not pay attention to people that make me mad anyway. I don't want to think anything but I have to protect everyone when it comes to it.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Radically changed my app, went with the Red Knight, rather than the Mechromancer. The Mechromancer just wasn't clicking.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

KittyEmpress posted:

Corsage, the Bull - Have you tried to keep who you are secret from IFF?

"Believe it or not, the IFF knew who I was when they recruited me. I'm kind of famous, after all. So hiding? Kind of useless. The way I see it, the best way to protect myself is to be as big and bold and out there as possible, baby! Maybe they're still after me, maybe they're not, but it's a lot easier to disappear Joe Has-Been that Alexander Young Up-And-Comer with the daily stream of his exploits observed by thousands of devoted followers and is on the hot new sponsored team? Talk about hiding in plain sight.

KittyEmpress posted:

Who works for the Corporate Alliance or Flowrs International that you suspect is a plant - as in a spy, not a flower!

Look, I know I'm not smart, but I ain't stupid. When someone gets really interested in how my powers work and they're either older than twelve or seem like they can dress themselves--I get suspicious. Flowrs has a lot of investors; and one the big players is Amber Gray. She's got a seat on the board and a reputation for building start-ups into powerhouses--or so Maxine tells me. Whenever I meet a boardmember, we only talk for a few minutes and the conversation is basically the same. Hello, Corsage! Fighting the good fight? Yessir--putting them away like nobody's business! And then a little talk about how important my work is to the company, how some day my loyalty will be rewarded, blah blah blah. Amber gives me the same, but there's always a little something extra. What flower were you using? What color? Does mixing flowers have special effects? At first I thought--maybe it's a promotional thing, maybe they were going to do a special "Battle Bouquet" deal or something. But then I brought it up with Maxine and she hadn't heard a thing about it. She might just be curious--but I wouldn't bet on it.

KittyEmpress posted:

What flower do you like being near the most? What flower do you like being near the least?

Ooh, this is a tough one! Well, some flowers are more useful than others, of course. I'll rarely make a Bouquet without Garlic Flower (yes, it has a flower and it is lovely) and chamomile. Garlic is the flower of healing, it wards off evil and sickness. Chamomile is all about energy. It's not exactly superspeed, but it lets you just keep going, you know? Match it up with Endurance and you're golden. Making a Battle Bouquet is all about building the right suite of abilities. Strength, speed, defense and then I throw in that something special that comes from mental boosts. Flowers of Courage and Truth, you know. But my favorite? Well, I'm never without a dried, white rose. Roses have a lot of meanings. The color, the number in a bouquet, thorn or thornless, dry or fresh--it all has its own meaning. A dried white rose says to the world "Death Before Loss of Virtue"--dedication to ideals above life itself. That's the way I live, baby. I'd rather be remembered as the hero who died young for a cause than the coward who got old.

As for the ones I dislike...Well, there's two kinds of flowers; body and mind. Flowers of the body give me strength and such, flowers of the mind have to do with stuff you feel. The second group is pretty big. Some are good, most are useless, a few are terrible. Of them all, the marigold is the worst; all it does is make you feel anger, grief, or jealousy. Good if you need to feel angry, I guess?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Brought to you by Weyland Construction. Weyland - Building Better Worlds.

My mom was the eighth Monster Herald. It was a family tradition. But where some names get passed down like rare treasures, ours is a curse.

Deep below the ocean are the Kaiju. They're from somewhere else, somewhere that doesn't obey our natural laws. They're big. They're hungry. And they want, mostly, to eat us. Oh, they've been beaten before. The heroes of old have statues built to commemorate their victories over whatever gigantic horror crawls from the sea this century. But there was always someone with them. One who knew them intimately, one who always knew how they fought.

And now it's my turn! I got the costume from my mom. It, uh, was a simpler time. I also inherited the Lair, which is a cave right above the ocean. It's got the works - books on mysticism, scientific equipment, religious texts - everything I need to figure out how to stop the Kaiju. They all have different rules, see. Some are magic, like angry spirits of the land or mini-gods. Others are backed by science, if, uh, science was taffy and they were a fat kid. So I need to know how they could operate!

It's uh, kind of gathering dust at the moment. As is the Monster Herald name, to be honest. There's not been a Kaiju since the end of the Best Generation, and I wouldn't be here if there was one. The assholes that normally try, the Cult of the Giant, are all mostly locked up or dead. Good thing too- their apocalypse rhetoric really got people into the whole "let's get eaten by a giant monster" dealio. The big one they want to wake up is called... Well, I'll just give you it's name and you can work out why it's bad news.

Kaiju-O. King of the Monsters. Yeah. Good thing he's asleep. But the sooner I can figure out a way of making sure he never wakes up, the better...

Anyway, Mom works with local law enforcement to try and track cult groups down - and it's them I fight mostly and never kaiju, thank god - but everything's been quiet. I'm really happy for their help - especially for Commissioner Terry Cordon, who runs the Mundane Counterterrorism Branch of the Sponsorship. He does all the spec-ops stuff and digs up the dirt. Can't thank the guy enough.

So, all wrapped up, right? Well, kinda. There's a problem. See, to fight a monster, sometimes you have to create a monster. To make a new Monster Herald, you have to inject them with the blood of a Kaiju. It gives you power you've never dreamed of. But you attract their attention. You make yourself visible to them, even whilst they sleep. And if they really notice you - like, really, really notice you - you're dead. And so is everyone else.

Gotta admit, it makes me angry. And afraid. So, I need this team. I need all the help I can get. Because if the worst comes to worst... well, dying alone would suck. And maybe we could actually slow one down for some real heroes to deal with it. Maybe.

quote:

Hero Name: Monster Herald Nine
Look: Ambiguous, Asian, grim costume, angry eyes, unassuming clothing

Abilities: Superhuman strength and speed, vitality absorption

Labels
Freak +2
Danger +1
Saviour +1
Superior -1
Mundane -1

Moves
Doom: You're doomed. Your powers may be killing you, or you may represent some horrible fate waiting to spill out and break upon the earth. But one way or another, you're doomed.

Overexerting myself and harming innocents brings my Doom closer.

Nemesis : You have a nemesis, an epic and powerful enemy representing and embodying your doom. It's going to take everything you have to take them down in the time you have left.

My nemesis is Kaiju-O, King of the Monsters

At the end of every session, answer the question: Did you make progress on defeating your nemesis? If the answer is yes, mark potential. If the answer is no, mark your doom track.

Sanctuary: You have a place where you can rest, recover, and reflect upon your powers. It has: a library of valuable tomes; a scattering of ancient relics; a powerful computer.

Choose and underline 2 downsides of your sanctuary: Difficult to access, easily damaged or tampered with

When you call upon the deeper nature of your powers in your sanctuary, you can solve impossible problems. Say what you want to do. The GM will give you one to four conditions you must fulfill

-
First, you must _____ 
- You'll need help from _____ 
- You and your team will risk danger from _____
- The best you can do is a lesser version, unreliable and limited
- You'll need to mark one box on your doom track

Doomsigns: These are abilities that come to you with your approaching doom. Once you have taken all five doomsigns above the line, you must take “Your doom arrives” the next time your doom track fills. Choose one doomsign you already hold at character creation.

□ Dark Visions: Mark your Doom Track to have a vision about the situation at hand. Ask the GM a question; they will answer it honestly.
+ Infinite Powers: Mark your Doom Track to use an ability from any playbook, one time.
□ Portal: Mark your Doom Track to appear in a scene with anyone you want.
□ Burning Bright: Mark your Doom Track to ignore one of the GM's stated requirements when you call upon the deeper nature of your powers in your sanctuary.
□ Bolstered: Mark your Doom Track to use an Adult Move one time.
---
□ Your doom arrives; confront it and perish.

Moment of Truth
The only thing stopping you from unleashing the full extent of your power is your fear of your own doom, always looming over your shoulder. But right here? Right now? You don't care. You'll let it loose and do impossible things. Do anything. But mark a Doomsign after you're finished.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, give them Influence over you and spend 1 Team from the pool to clear one box on your Doom track.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you and ask if they honestly think there's hope for you. If they say yes, mark potential or clear one box of your Doom track. If they say no, mark a condition or mark your Doom track.

quote:

1. What corporation in the Corporate Alliance approached you? What do they make/do/research? (Remember, these are smaller companies, not worldspanning organizations!)
The Weyland Construction Company is a municipal construction organisation. Office buildings, housing, that kind of deal. They're looking to expand - they're not big right now, but they figure that selling "kaiju-proof" buildings is gonna rake in the cash. They helped trick out the Lair to hold my stuff.

I hate them. They're playing on fear. I don't want people to think of them and me in the same thought, but I've got no choice.

quote:

2. What hero do you look up to, and from what Generation do they hail? Are they still alive? Still active?
My grandma was part of the Greatest Generation - she was Monster Herald Five. She kicked rear end - in fact, she was the last Monster Herald to fight a Kaiju in modern history! Totally owned the thing - I have newspwper clippings in the Lair. She lives in the Bronx somewhere nowadays, still going jogging despite being ninety-five this year. Getting kaiju blood will do that to you, I guess! Anyway, she never signed up for the sponsorship program and I get an earful about it whenever I visit. She makes a mean stew. though

quote:

3. What is your opinion on the Heroic Sponsorship program?
These people don't care about us. They don't care if we saved the world or not, as long as we prance around wearing their logos and making momey for them. I'd duck out of the system if I could, but I don't wanna cause a civil war - not when we're as stretched thin as it is. Still, if they get stepped on when a Kaiju wakes up, I'm not gonna shed a tear.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Is this game still moving forward? I'm planning on doing a rewrite of my application that involves a slightly different concept (and isn't pages long).

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 9, 2016

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

DeTosh posted:

Is this game still moving forward? I'm planning on doing a rewrite of my application that involves a slightly different concept (and isn't pages long).

I think kittyempress is having issues with their network at the moment.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I think kittyempress is having issues with their network at the moment.

Sort of correct! I had a power outage for two days, which then revealed it took out my internet box, and then between then and when I got a replacement internet box, poo poo had happened that made me kinda sad brains'd.

I am currently trying to recover and get into a place where I can run it, but I can't actually promise anything. I'm sorry.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Don't worry about it. Just focus on getting everything in order.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm only doing one round of questions. This saturday I will do picks.

Good Vibrations, the Nova - No, really, we insist - who close to you did you hurt on accident? How did that make you feel?

Mix-Up, the Delinquent - So nanomachines, huh - do you have any specific vulnerabilities due to them? What are they powered by - do they have their own power sources, or do they feed off your energy?

Monster Herald Nine, the Doomed - Why make new Monster Heralds, if Kaiju haven't been seen in so long? How do you feel about having to throw your life away for something you don't even know if it'll be useful?

Grease Monkey, the Outsider - What is the weirdest part of this whole situation for you? What's something the world has that reminds you of what home was like?

Red King, the Legacy - Tell me one time where you overreacted due to how someone talked about you or your predecessors. Tell me a time when you kept your cool and looked better than someone insulting you.

Red Knight, the Delinquent - What's one time where your anger hurt someone you would prefer to have not to? What happened last time someone told you to calm down?

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

Mix-Up, the Delinquent - So nanomachines, huh - do you have any specific vulnerabilities due to them?

Oh, hey, yeah, let's talk about my powers some more! Uh, you want to... know about how they make me vulnerable, in other word, how they suck? And not about how they're awesome? Well, okay... but just because it's you, though, yeah?

Okay, so, nanomachines! Makes you think 'it's like magic, only it's science'! They can do anything! But, naaaw, they're not magic. I mean, they couldn't turn me into, I don't know, some immortal pseudo-vampire or anything, though that would be pretty cool. But no, they're just technology, just like all of the thousand things that you have around you and are using every second of the day. But, the thing is, do you actually know how your phone works? An elevator? Your car? No you don't, you just trust that someone very smart made it and then someone at least somewhat trustworthy sold it to you and it's just working, just like the similar model you bought last time so really, why should you be bothered by not really knowing exactly what the thing does that you are using? By the way, don't get me started on just thinking big companies are smart and / or somewhat trustworthy.

Uh, anyway, what I'm getting at is... well... I got my nanomachines from The Colonist and they interacted with my body and, well, who knows everything about their body, yeah? So what I am saying is that maybe... I don't... not down to that last detail... precisely...since really, it's an extremely complex piece of technology... well... know how the nanomachines work, okay? Maaaan. It's embarrassing, you know?

Mix-Up points his fingers to the left and right of him and two holograms appear. One is of a reporter so stereotypical that he may have jumped out of some poorly-researched 50ies period piece, the other is of Power Lad, a popular young superhero.
"Power Lad, golly gee, so how exactly does your amazing strength and power of flight work?"
Power lad shrugs and looks at his shoes.
"I'unno."
Mix-Up points with one finger and the hologram of Power lad is replaced with a man with long hair and 17th century clothing.
"Sir Isaac, tell us about your theory of gravitation, can you explain that to our readers? Golly gee."
"Well, you see, I wrote it all down when I got hit in the head by an apple, but I don't really understand it myself!"
"So it was the apple that did all the work?"
Mix-Up snaps his fingers and the holograms disappear and he looks up and like he has made his point.

Haha. Ha. You see what I'm getting at? It'd be something different if they had come from some lab experiment, or aliens, or some space cloud, buuuuut... they came from a supervillain. And as far as I can tell, The Colonist's plan was to turn us into some sort of worker drones or brainwashed infiltrators - which is like slavery and seriously messed up. Seriously. That's like the antithesis of.... uh, I mean, that's like the exact opposite of what I'm all about. And that makes me a little bit afraid, I can admit that - am I going to turn evil or brainwashed at some point? Or all, uh, Akira? But naaaaaaw. If something was going to happen, it already would have, yeah? And it's not like I don't know anything about those little things - I set up some restrictions on what they can do, like that they can't replicate too fast and not too far away from me, which, sure, limits what I can do but I don't want to be responsible for some Grey Goo scenario!

So it's a bit scary, that something could happen to me I don't have any control over and maaaaybe I haven't told everyone all the details about my nanomachines, certainly not my parents, they'd be all 'nanomachines, son?!'. On the sly I've been looking into getting more info on The Colonist and the original specs for the nanomachines as well as researching the ones I now have, if they are somehow different from each other, trying to really figure out how they work. That's the stuff that kind of puts a downer on the whole thing, but you asked me about weaknesses, so, maybe you meant things I know about?

Well, EMP can mess with them and, uh, if it's really bad I could get, haha, digestive problems or a heart attack, and they could theoretically be hacked - emphasis on 'theoretically' - and if something messes with one of the nanomachines flying around - oh, that's how I can use my powers from waaaaay over there, the little things just fly out on their own - it'd affect the other ones, and, well, me too. Jamming the communication between them could in theory make them useless, or at least sluggish, but until now nobody has been able to shut them down completely.

Oh man, now you made me all bummed out. Yeah, yeah, sure somebody could mess with them and with that, mess with me, but really, I shouldn't stress too much. Otherwise, I could forget my powers are actually totally awesome! Because, haha, if you had asked me 'so, you have a respiratory system, what kind of diseases could you attract with that?' would I have spend waaay too much time thinking about catching some virus and sworn to never breathe again? Nope!

Plus I got my gadgets too, even without the nanomachines!

quote:

What are they powered by - do they have their own power sources, or do they feed off your energy?

Oh, they can store their own energy for a bit, they need that to go mobile when they fly around, but they recharge from my energy. Which means I had to make a few changes to my diet. I'm already pretty skinny - I don't have a problem with that, really! - but if I was eating as much as I do now without those hungry little things, I'd seriously need some mobility scooter or at the very least clothes a couple of sizes larger. Man, can you imagine? Oh god, that'd be horribly plausible, me behind the computer screen, too big to move and only interacting with people via computer and my holograms. Brr.

Anyway, I'm sure if some bonkers villain knew about that they'd be all 'you should totally suck the life force out of other people because blah blah Nietzsche', but, like I said, I'm not doing the nanomachine vampire thing. Aaaaand it'd be pretty messed up.

Oh, one more thing is how they replicate and self-repair. Which they do, and of course they need materials for that. Only, in the beginning, I didn't really think about that aaaaaand... well one day when I woke up they had kiiinda eaten most of my computer. Which really sucked, that thing was top of the line! So now I'm regularly eating some special pill supplements. Sure, some people look at me funny, but it's nothing compared to how they'd look at me if I put a smartphone in a heavy duty mixer and made myself an electronics smoothie! Although that would be pretty funny, I could try that with one of my holograms...

But yeah, I keep my special dietary needs on the down low, people can be really judgemental, yeah? And I don't want anyone to think I am different just because I'm a tiny bit... out of the ordinary. I mean, I'm still me. Just with a little extra.

nil. fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 20, 2016

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

Monster Herald Nine, the Doomed - Why make new Monster Heralds, if Kaiju haven't been seen in so long? How do you feel about having to throw your life away for something you don't even know if it'll be useful?

I'm sorry, did you see what the last Kaiju did? It was devastating. I hear the grass din't grow back where it walked. Sometimes it didn't grow back... right. Or something entirely different grew there. Those things don't work with our physics PERIOD, so horrible stuff happens just by them BEING there. They're devastating, even before they start smashing buildings and eating people. Their very presence is so wrong it makes reality dry-heave. Oh, it all got cleaned up by every superhero group under the sun - Weyland paid a fortune for it, of course. But you can find it on black markets - Kaiju bone, blood, scales - that'll get you superpowers for an hour. Or it'll kill you. Roll the dice!

Yeah, it sucks not really having a life. People call me names. Say I'm a freak. But you know what? It's worth it, and I got friends who'll stick by me. So I know I'll be needed, when the time comes.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
As excited I was for the concept and the game, things have become busy for me and I've let too much get behind to begin with, so don't want to take a slot knowing I can't fully commit. Wishing the best of luck to everyone else!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Picks are in, here we go:

Pretty Witch Circe, the Nova by Scarybagels
Eagle J, the Protege by Waffleman
Mix-Up, the Delinquent by Nil_
Corsage, the Bull by Mr. Fowl
Princess Patriot, the Legacy by Tatteredking

Do your initial backgrounds, vote for a leader, and potentially choose a catchy, sellable name.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

When we first got together
All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Relationships
You once got caught breaking your legacy's rules with ______________.
You trust ______________ and told them an important secret of your legacy.

I'm thinking trust for Corsage and breaking a rule with Circe

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It'll be a couple days before I can get my laptop out and my PDF open.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

It'll be a couple days before I can get my laptop out and my PDF open.

We stuck together after all was said and done. Why? How'd we keep in contact?
Relationships
You and ____________________ teamed up a few times from before the rest of you
came together.
Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on __________________.
Influence
Choose your demeanor: playful or business.
If you choose playful, then give influence to two teammates.
If you choose business, then give influence to no teammates.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Thanks, that'll help greatly. I'll look over stuff when I get to my hotel.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
We destroyed our surroundings in the fight. Where as it? What did we destroy?

"Oh man, that fight with Shibboleth was crazy, we all worked together to shut the guy down, but wasn't he just creepy with those tentacles? Anyways we were trying to fight this thing and I heard that we needed to close the guys connection, which I assume was the ethereal plane of existence where all that creepy stuff is, and right at that time I saw a tentacle come out of one of those holes in reality that Shibboleth was creating in the middle of the city and crash into those giant skyscrapers, luckily we were able to keep the building from collapsing while we let everyone out of the building, and then the skyscraper collapsed...sad day, but hey, it wasn't our fault at least!"

She smiles and raises her wand a bit "But then after the fight, me and mixup worked together to keep those terrible tentacles from growing out and destroying more stuff! And Coursage really did good work helping out and Eagle J was so cute in their outfit!"

Relationships:
I hang out with Princess Patriot, to blow off steam.
I once hurt Eagle J when I lost control of my powers.

Influence
Choose your demeanor: Happy facade or locked down.
If you choose happy facade, give influence to 3 teammates.
Mixup
Princess patriot
Coursage

My vote goes to princess Patriot.

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 23, 2016

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?

Shibboleth, yeah? So turns out the old guy - and I only knew he was an old guy because the others told me so, hard to tell with all the tentacles and... things - has a thing with thinking his villain name is totally awesome. Which was good, because at the start I was at a bit of a loss how I was going to, uh, distract that thing, it was kind of freaky. Wasn't really feeling up to going toe-to-tentacle with it! He kiiinda got upset about me calling him out on his name not really making sense with his whole thing and me asking him whether he just opened an English/Hebrew dictionary and picked something that sounded 'ooooh, mystical and unpronounceable'. Cue one tentacle smashing into a hologram of me. Me suggesting 'You-Suckoth' as a new, more accurate name? Another tentacle attack.

Buuuuut we were kind of not getting anywhere, so I knew we'd have to do something big! There were all kinds of dimensional disruptions around him, and it'd make sense, yeah? He's all 'the thing from the maw of madness' - don't mean the internet, where, Princess Patriot tells me later, this whole thing started? - but, uh... well, tentacles and all that! So, we have to shut down that connection, only we briefly have to properly open the connection to really be able to close it. No big deal, right? You'd think so! But after the fight, after I helped Pretty Witch Circe to cut off Shibboleth's connection to his mystic mojo - by opening the connection for just one tiny second, then closing it properly right away! - turns out that that is apparently messing with 'things man was not meant to understand' and blah blah blah and it was 'incredibly irresponsible' and maaaaaan, get off my case.

It all worked out and besides! Some tentacled horror was already right there! But apparently you're only supposed to mess with that kind of stuff when you have a big beard, at least, Mister Mystic didn't give me any better reason when he chewed my ear off about magic tradition and keeping the realms in balance and pfffff.

Relationships
You keep trying to impress Pretty Witch Circe with your antics.
You and Corsage pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.

I am thinking of Pretty with Circe for impressing. Done.
For the second one, who's up for pulling an illegal stunt with Mix-Up? Done.

Influence
You care way more than you let on. Give three teammates Influence over you.

Pretty Witch Circe
Corsage
Princess Patriot

Leader vote goes to Eagle J.

nil. fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 24, 2016

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I would be fine with that, waffleman can i hurt eagle j with my power?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sure.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Relationships
Eagle J is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.

"She's earnest and brave and somehow I just can stop thinking about her."

Princess Patriot is your rival. Thy tried to control you at a crucial moment.

''I'm not going to lie--I don't like getting upstaged. And have you read her twtter? How gauche."

Influence
You're selective about who you let in. Give your Love and your Rival influence over you and that's it.
Eagle J, my Love
Princess Patriot, my Rival

We defeated a dangerous enemy, who or what was it?

"Ah yes, I remember it now like it was only yesterday. I was wearing a little Baby's Breath and Goosefoot to go with my usual. When Princess Patriot came up to me and begged for help. Foolishly she'd gotten into a flame war on Twitter; some shut-in who was infatuated with her racist family and didn't like getting shut down. Well it turned out that he was also some old and crusty supervillain from the darkness between the stars--how terrible! Shibboleth, he called himself; all tentacles and beaks and oozing bits. Of course, with all of us together we put the sad thing back in its hole."

(To Summarize: An old supervillain with a lovecraftian theme/one of Princess Patriot's more colorful followers got upset at PP's tweets, started wrecking poo poo.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Haha Bulls can't stop falling in love with me.

I'll do my stuff tonight.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

We stuck together after all was said and done. Why? How'd we keep in contact?

Well, our sponsors were all so impressed with how we worked together to stop Shibboleth that they decided to jointly fund us as a hero team. Until we were officially brought together, we really mostly kept in touch through our agents talking to each others' agents, business stuff, ya know?

This'll come tomorrow

Relationships
You and ____________________ teamed up a few times from before the rest of you
came together.

George knows Princess Patriot's family, so we've worked together a bit.

Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on __________________.

George is wary of Mix-Up and thinks he's a bad influence. It might be a generation gap, but he's usually pretty keen...

Influence
Choose your demeanor: playful or business.
If you choose playful, then give influence to two teammates.
If you choose business, then give influence to no teammates.

Playful
Corsage
Circe

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 23, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

When we first got together
All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Octavia Strangelove, Professor Strange, has had the most run ins with Shibboleth. Those sorts of, things, are kind of her specialty. Apparently it normally takes a great deal of experience and research to typically deal with the eldritch. She chalked it up to luck but said she was impressed none the less. Hrmph. Snooty scientists don't respect anyone who doesn't accept their "theories" as fact.

Relationships
You once got caught breaking your legacy's rules with Circe.

Now Dad doesn't go overboard with the no occult stuff. Like I'm allowed to read Harry Potter. But I really crossed the line hanging out with an actual witch. Dad doesn't really have a problem with Circe, as long as she is a good person. I was asking her for beauty tips because, well clearly she knows what she's doing. One thing lead to another and she's showing me this ritual. Syl, Great Grandpa Sylvester, freaked out when he found out I was involved with magicks. He did this whole thing to make sure I wasn't cursed. It was a big hassle. Why would my team mate curse me?

You trust Corsage and told them an important secret of your legacy.

Corsade seems like a nice boy. He has a nice hobby. Seems like the type that could treat a girl right. But he doesn't like my family. He just, doesn't understand, I'm sure. We're not a bunch of backwards hicks. Syl is uh, well he's not nearly as bad as other people were back in his day. So I told Corsade about how we can be modern. Our relics are historical but we use modern rituals to bring out the power in them.

Everyone gets an influence

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Influence Sheet

Looks like we're just about done, besides Scarybagels doing the 'first came together' bit?

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Added some functionality to the Influence sheet (dropdown for influence yes/no; team tracker) and entered the influence based on everyone's post. I hope everything is okay.

nil. fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 24, 2016

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I did it last night I apologize.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Our Story Begins, In Media Res

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

You've activated my trap card!

By which I mean, you found Char's Custom Move

Fire Is My Kindling - Char can use large sources of fire to heal conditions, by absorbing the fire into himself, extinguishing the flames to heal his body and mind.

He was originally going to use this when launched out the window, and into the fire below, but the Tireless Torch is still a flame, even as filled with Justice as it may be!

• Locked thread