Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, northern Idaho is where it's at. South is boring. (Grew up in Lewiston, lived in Boise for a year).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Installed the new SS brake lines, and with that, franken-SV is now mechanically complete. Except for the battery - tried starting it up (for the first time since I installed the headlight) to putter around the parking lot here to test that everything is working, and now that it has a light adding drain to the system, the battery doesn't have enough grunt to turn the engine more than one or two revolutions before giving up the ghost. It had just been removed from the battery tender that it's been plugged into for the past month or so, so the battery is definitely pushing up daisies.

Time to see if the local walmart or autozone have a replacement battery for me. :shobon:

Geirskogul posted:

Yeah, northern Idaho is where it's at. South is boring. (Grew up in Lewiston, lived in Boise for a year).

Alternatively, you could do what my born and raised in Boise step-dad did. Move to Oregon, which is actually scenic.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I'm moving to Bonners Ferry for a little while in like a month and a half. I'm excited to actually ride all my dirtbikes on real/imagined trails and go wheeling.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Geirskogul posted:

Yeah, northern Idaho is where it's at.

The less there is, the better it gets.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I used to know a great pizza place in Sandpoint.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

HotCanadianChick posted:

Alternatively, you could do what my born and raised in Boise step-dad did. Move to Oregon, which is actually scenic.

I PUMP MY OWN GODDAMN GAS THANK YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My favorite little town is Stanley, ID. Kamiah to Stanley is some fabulous riding.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

HotCanadianChick posted:

Geirskogul posted:

How does this work, actually? I can't imagine being comfortable with an attendant filling my tank on a bike. It was weird enough having to do it with my car when I road tripped up there last year.

EDIT: Nvm, answered my own question.

"Oregon and New Jersey are the only two states which prohibit "Self-Serve" gas pumps, and now motorcycles will be the only class of vehicle allowed to actually dispense fuel into their own tanks in Oregon, effective January 1, 2002."

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I hate gassing up in Oregon. If it isn't letting some dumbass pump it in my car, then it's the Victorian steampunk pump from ages gone I have to use on my bike. What esoteric combination of valves and switches do I have to throw to receive fuel?!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

In NJ they just select the fuel grade you want and hand you the pump.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Geirskogul posted:

The beauty of riding a bike is, so do I :smugdog:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

M42 posted:

In NJ they just select the fuel grade you want and hand you the pump.

Yep, same in Oregon.

There are ethanol-free pumps at some places, and I do it all myself. No one's pumping your motorcycle gas, you weenies.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Kamiah to Stanley is awesome for a second reason: you're getting the gently caress out of Kamiah.

Also if you're ever in Lewiston you absolutely have to ride the old spiral highway.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That is a fabulous road and I applaud whoever maintains it for the condition they keep it in. I need to do Rattlesnake Grade south of there at some point too.

... I like Kamiah though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Bigger battery to aid with not having a decomp.

heavy duty springs for the clutch, but kinda too late to save the clutch, sooo a barnett will go in its place.

not pictured: one piece of PO fuckery left that ejected a quart of oil going to work, I PO'd it some till the replacement bits get here monday. Hence one filthy loving moto.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

cursedshitbox posted:

Bigger battery to aid with not having a decomp.

heavy duty springs for the clutch, but kinda too late to save the clutch, sooo a barnett will go in its place.

not pictured: one piece of PO fuckery left that ejected a quart of oil going to work, I PO'd it some till the replacement bits get here monday. Hence one filthy loving moto.

Couldn't you just fix the decomp?

You're gonna want that if you ever have to kick start it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I actually can kickstart it. :D (all 12.6:1)
Cyclist legs ftw.

Fixing it would have required a replacement cam, and ehhhh. Actually dodged a huuuge bullet. the hinge pin fell apart when I was getting ready to re-install.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What is your ride:wrench ratio? I see more pictures of the insides of that yellow ...uh... Suzuki than pictures of the whole thing.

No offense intended or anything. But do you ever stop tweaking stuff on it?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

cursedshitbox posted:

I actually can kickstart it. :D (all 12.6:1)
Cyclist legs ftw.

Fixing it would have required a replacement cam, and ehhhh. Actually dodged a huuuge bullet. the hinge pin fell apart when I was getting ready to re-install.

Lol I tried to kickstart one without the decomp lever in the shop and it kicked back mid stroke. Sent me rear end-over-tea-kettle.
I also forgot to get it to TDC before I kicked.
I weighed 150 fully clothed and with a wrench in my pocket.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I believe the good Reverend Doctor himself was injured not too long ago kicking over some old dr350

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Why would you? Seems pretty silly to assume your motorcycle is perfect without having tried the other options.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What is your ride:wrench ratio? I see more pictures of the insides of that yellow ...uh... Suzuki than pictures of the whole thing.

You must have missed my project cars in ai. I've issues. :v:

I've put nearly 10,000 mi on it since august, including 2 months where I didnt ride from breaking my left knee. I tend to run aggressive maintenance schedules, I've hosed with the power output, and if it breaks down going to work I won't be a very happy person.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Lol I tried to kickstart one without the decomp lever in the shop and it kicked back mid stroke. Sent me rear end-over-tea-kettle.
I also forgot to get it to TDC before I kicked.
I weighed 150 fully clothed and with a wrench in my pocket.

yz450f I owned would kick back. that poo poo hurt.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Why would you? Seems pretty silly to assume your motorcycle is perfect without having tried the other options.

Some people (professional mechanics usually; csb is an exception to the rule) hate working on their own vehicles and just want to ride the stupid thing. If the bike sucks they usually just buy a better bike instead of glitterising their turd.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Put on hippo hands because it's gonna rain in BC.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

I installed Ricor Intiminators (cartridge emulators) in my Bonnieville. They help a lot with front end dive, and they generally making steering the bike feel better. I'm really surprised at how improved the front end is with these little things.

It was my first time doing anything larger than an oil change on my Bonnie. Lots of stops while riding to check and make sure nuts weren't getting loose.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

cursedshitbox posted:

new front fender.

oil report back. Seems its sucking dirt somewhere. good to see the jetting is alright as well as the coolant pump not leaking internally.

I realize this is an old post, but if it's really only $28 then this is most likely either a scam, wildly inaccurate, or it's some dude making sidemoney running tests on equipment he has at work :v:.

Source; I work in an oil lab. And I'm bored to poo poo watching Glycol ether slowly distill

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Blackstone is fairly reputable. Like, the most reputable.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The string thing, adjusted the handlebars and mirrors, lubed the throttle cables, cleaned off some of the bugs & ordered some Honda spray polish & HH pads for the rear.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Geirskogul posted:

Blackstone is fairly reputable. Like, the most reputable.

Reputable among random websites that let you mail order them a free kit? Because I'm pretty sure Intertek charged us >$28 to run water on an acetone sample the other day. And that's just a 2min test on one of these.

(we didn't run it because ketones interfere with the solvent that we use. They had the solvent, we don't)

The other thing that weirds me out is his listing the water content as a flat 0%. You don't really see 0s in labs.

Also, that 0.08% on the screen is some oil I syringed out of the bottom of my crankcase a second ago :v:.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
To explain myself a bit more and not just be the threadshitter I just realized I am; I don't run metals in oils, but I do similar work analyzing our used oil that comes in for PCBs. It's very time consuming work on an expensive machine.

I'd have to ask my boss about pricing, but running just that on our GC would cost $200-$300 at an outside lab. At $28 I can't imagine him doing the sample prep to run metals in something like a $100,000 ICP-MS, then running a flash, visc, KF water titration, etc. That's a lot of time, materials, amd equipment.

Hell, the stupid picture of my boots? Last time we had to send a sample for a vacuum distillation it cost us over a grand (it was a rush order overnight, because we're dumb).

Labwork is not cheap.

E: Here's my GC :3:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 24, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh...okay. I guess Blackstone is complete bullshit, then. Thank you for educating me and making me realize that I've wasted probably $400 over the years.

(He says as he has two blackstone bottles on his desk for the next oil change set this weekend).

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Geirskogul posted:

Oh...okay. I guess Blackstone is complete bullshit, then. Thank you for educating me and making me realize that I've wasted probably $400 over the years.

(He says as he has two blackstone bottles on his desk for the next oil change set this weekend).

Not necessarily complete bullshit. Just really questionable. Part of the reason everything I've talked about is so expensive is because I'm talking about certified labs.

That said, the water content analysis that they claim to do is beyond ghetto as gently caress. Does it work? Yeah, kinda, but I wouldn't claim anything lower than >0.5%.*
Their visc setup is legit.
I don't really see them running 200+ flashes but hey if you have enough people and you're just making sure they're >400F then vOv
Any other lab is going to charge far more to use their ICP.

* For those that tl;dr'd the article they basically go "is it boiling?" when they flash the oil. If not it's 0. If it does? Dunno, they also said they run KF water titration for $38. Which is odd considering it takes 1/20th the labor of All That Other poo poo that they do for $28.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 24, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, now that you've explained it, the water thing makes sense. But I guess they're the king of sheer volume to lower cost. I have a feeling their real money maker is industrial analysis, but a lot of us here have been using them for years. I do it maybe every third oil change on all my cars.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Geirskogul posted:

Yeah, now that you've explained it, the water thing makes sense. But I guess they're the king of sheer volume to lower cost. I have a feeling their real money maker is industrial analysis, but a lot of us here have been using them for years. I do it maybe every third oil change on all my cars.

Maybe? Honestly all I'd care about WRT my oil is solids content anyways. Metals might be useful to know, but probably moreso in a "Well nickel just spiked by 100x. Is my cylinder hosed?" sense.
Anything else can be summed up with "Is it milky?" and "Does it smell like gas or antifreeze?".

vvvv I was agreeing with you, and saying that the things I was taking issue with aren't terribly important anyways :smith:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 24, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I thought I was agreeing with you? But whatever, I'm not in this fight.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Marxalot posted:

Because I'm pretty sure Intertek charged us >$28 to run water on an acetone sample the other day. And that's just a 2min test on one of these.

That's because Intertek overcharges through the nose on everything though. :v:

Source: my wife works at Intertek.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

HotCanadianChick posted:

That's because Intertek overcharges through the nose on everything though. :v:

Source: my wife works at Intertek.

Truth, that's why we use similar less-known places.

I talked about it at work a bit, and the best we can figure is that if people are reporting that they're legit (new motor showing a high metals content in its oil during break-in) then they probably are. No way they make money on a $28 screen, but that's probably their marketing gimmick/loss-leader to get a name for themselves/get people to pay for $38 water tests :v:.

So sorry for the :spergin:, they're probably fine for the purpose. Just don't sperg about an extra 10ppm of nickel like it means your cylinder is hosed because there's going to be a margin of error with mass-testing like that.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Got insurance on it and took it on the road for the first time since I bought it. :feelsgood:

FrankenSV rode fine, aside from the typical marshmallows Suzuki calls forks. Thursday I'm gonna take off work a bit early so I can take it down to the DMV to get the title transfer done and get my new plates and reg.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Got the horn and the fan backward, so now when I press the button the fan comes on. :pseudo:

Oh. And I put the new radiator in, which owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Got the horn and the fan backward, so now when I press the button the fan comes on. :pseudo:

Right, so instead of aggressively blowing the horn at somebody you can just passive-aggressively fan yourself.