Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I think the rock will wrestle again because he wants to come back and wrestle again

Chris James 2 posted:

Oh yeah I agree with that. It seems like there's always a chance it'll happen, I don't think it will but it's expected to. I think the thought is eventually he'll be free/not hurt/not filming the one month they actually need him. I just mostly think if it happens he'll be injured again, and I don't want to see that. The last full match he did he got hurt, and it sucks seeing these guys come back for big moments and break. Another example is Austin who wasn't even in the ring for a full 3 minutes segment at Mania and he got hurt. It's depressing at a point

in fairness to Austin he made no attempt to get in shape for wrestlemania because he was just doing a stunner and leaving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Next mania is gonna be Rowan getting his win back against the rock.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
The next Mania is actually going to be a bunch of holding pattern matches with finishes/stips that will be ignored by the time RAW rolls around just like the last one

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

The next Mania is actually going to be a bunch of holding pattern matches with finishes/stips that will be ignored by the time RAW rolls around just like the last one

TWELVE HOURS OF ENTERTAINMENT MAGGLE

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

next Mania is going to be a dota tournament

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

OatmealRaisin posted:

TWELVE HOURS OF ENTERTAINMENT MAGGLE

Nah, I'm thinking "A FULL DAY'S WORTH OF SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT FESTIVITIES, MAGGLE, AND IT ALL KICKS OFF AT MIDNIGHT SATURDAY LIVE ON THE DOUBLE DOUBLE EE NETWORK!" "That's right John, but of course the fun really begins tonight immediately following Raw with a special 72 hour edition of the Stone Cold podcast!"

SomeMathGuy fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 24, 2016

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Chris James 2 posted:

Depends on Taker honestly. If he wants to be there, Taker/Cena's happening. If he's not, I imagine they do Reigns/Cena torch passing.

Rock/Brock's expected

A few years ago I would say Taker and Cena would be the logical torch match but I'm not sure at this point they should. I'm higher on Cena than, well ever, but Taker is just so... old. Every time he goes back out in the ring he loses a little more mystique. IF they actually do it then it needs to be the last time Taker is in a ring ever. Retirement 100%. Done. Just hope Taker doesn't die in the ring trying to do this.

Roman and Cena is what I really want to happen. Cena will come back next week and do his normal good guy thing as its WWE. We all know Vince wants Roman as face or tweener champ now. What I would think would be cool is if they start having Cena talk to Roman. Share he also gets boo'd (since they already acknowledge the whole "passionate" audience thing) and give him general schmaltzy advice and offer to be buddy buddy. People will HATE this but Cena can turn it around and either get Roman the kids that WWE wants or cement the path WWE needs to take. Cena becomes Roman's mentor onscreen and they build up the whole brotherhood. Cena, Usos and Roman. Maybe even throw Ambrose the Owen Hart in the Nation role if they feel really,really generous. Do a faction for a few months or so. People still hate Roman and won't support him despite the victories piling up. Cena does his thing and gets the half and half (possibly). Build on it until.... ROMAN BETRAYS CENA. Have him not just turn on Cena but be brutal. Usos and Roman just beat the crap out of him for a bit. Give Cena a couple of weeks off to recuperate. Reigns and the Usos control Raw. They bully and intimidate management and the lower card for that couple of weeks until Cena! Ulimate pop for Cena that Vince can whack off to and then build the whole "you gotta get through me". Do the normal bait and chase till Wrestlemania. Then have Roman not just beat Cena but brutalize him to a level not seen since the old Attitude era that WWE misses. Have the end pic of Wrestlemania with Roman smirking above a broken and bloody Cena. That would get Roman over. That would get Cena over as now Cena has a profound loss. Build before and after how Cena is nearing 40 and getting old. Roman is young and hungry. Its an old story that even Vince has heard plus it puts the focus on WWE on the only two guys Vince cares about. Afterwards you have the future of WWE be 100% their guy and that level of brutality and heeldom will win him fans. Cena will look legitimately vulnerable for the first time in his career and maybe gain some sympathy for the champ that senses his days are nearing their end.

<Sigh> if only.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

oldpainless posted:

Yeah it's weird Roman has the same setup for like his finisher and two other moves. It's be like if Austin kicked the gut and got on position for the Stunner and then just did a snapmare for some reason.

This sounds like something Kevin Owens would and should do

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I just realized, Roman didn't say a single word during Raw, did he?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Trent Razor1911 posted:

Yeah, Raw wasn't bad

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I wonder if that's a first or I just missed the other times, feel like normally he has at least a short mic segment.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Great White Hope posted:

If a company hasn't given you what you want for 10 loving years and you still watch it/give it money, then the company would be idiotic to give even the slightest gently caress about you.

Man you're surprisingly upset about a statement saying "I want a product I enjoy." I mean presumably the company has given me things I enjoy, otherwise I would have stopped watching. But these are flashes in the pan tempered by greater cynicism over time and just utter exhaustion with the state of the product. At some point it will be insufficient to keep me there and I'll stop.

But let's take your statement seriously for a second. Presumably advertising revenue is based around ratings among key demographics. As I've indicated I've started to watch less and less of the product over time, meaning presumably I grant them less revenue than I used to. I usually catch a PPV at a bar or at a friend's where I used to be so excited I'd get them ASAP. So presumably the WWE also earns less revenue that way as well.

I'm also, going to rather arrogantly assume that there are quite a lot of people who just feel quite burnt out with 3 hour Raws and also knowing that their favourite wrestlers will never actually go anywhere. At which point I think seeing fans who tuned in every week cease to do so is something that the WWE should probably pay at least some attention to.

That said, their financial situation is good and their stock price is higher than it was in the toilet years around 2010 so the gently caress do I know.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

So jeez, heck of a botch from Crews kipping up mid-Lionsault. Wonder what he thought was going to happen there?

Real sad hearing him say "I'm so sorry, man" at the end as Jericho pinned him :smith:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ed: ^^ I think he was supposed to kip up and catch him mid-lionsault but wasn't that quick at the moment

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I'm also, going to rather arrogantly assume that there are quite a lot of people who just feel quite burnt out with 3 hour Raws and also knowing that their favourite wrestlers will never actually go anywhere. At which point I think seeing fans who tuned in every week cease to do so is something that the WWE should probably pay at least some attention to.

This happens and people still mysteriously just brush it off as "but ratings don't matter", it's weird

Like they have a point about the method itself being archaic, but simultaneously there are a significant amount of viewers who have left and aren't coming back. It's noticeable and shouldn't be ignored or devalued

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Woo!

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Roman Reigns is really good at not talking. That sounds like a shot at him, but the best promo I can remember that he was involved in had Dean Ambrose cutting a hell of a promo on Seth just after the split while Reigns prowled in and out of camera shot responding away from the mic. Reigns has presence. It just gets spoiled a lot when he starts talking.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

This would be better with Charlotte's original nose

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Chris James 2 posted:

ed: ^^ I think he was supposed to kip up and catch him mid-lionsault but wasn't that quick at the moment

This happens and people still mysteriously just brush it off as "but ratings don't matter", it's weird

Like they have a point about the method itself being archaic, but simultaneously there are a significant amount of viewers who have left and aren't coming back. It's noticeable and shouldn't be ignored or devalued

This is what kills me. The network has given them a good cushion where they can be reasonably profitable (apparently) off of their hardcore subscribers. They're protected from a complete collapse like in the old days of relying on PPV buy rates. Yet I can't think of any company that would ever think 'hmm, moderate profits or large profits? Well...moderate sounds best.' and yet I see a lot of writers online and such talking about how great they're doing and what a golden age it is and thus questioning things is foolish

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

WWE is paid like $40 million a year for the third hour of Raw, so if there is burnout that costs WWE anything, the result will be USA will give WWE what it wanted before USA offered so much money that WWE couldn't pass it up, which is 2 hours.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

double post

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
I think USA is a long way off from putting pressure onto WWE to get it together. Between Smackdown on USA, Raw replays on SyFy, and blocking off any other channel that shows pro wrestling behind premium cable packages, somebody at Comcast loving loves WWE

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Marquis de Pyro posted:

This sounds like something Kevin Owens would and should do

throws his opponent up for a pop-up powerbomb, then walks away. book it.

the fake out over the top and "HEEEEADLOOOCCKK MASSSSTERRRR" last night got genuine laughs from me.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Trent Razor1911 posted:

Roman doesn't talk when he's in a feud with someone like HHH, Bray, or Rollins who can carry the load on the mic. He had to talk in the AJ feud because AJ couldn't build it all on his own and the extra guys in the program weren't great talkers either. Management by this point knows that standing in the ring delivering a promo is the worst and most-vulnerable place Roman can be with regard to getting booed, so they minimize his exposure there as much as they can.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Phenix Rising posted:

So jeez, heck of a botch from Crews kipping up mid-Lionsault. Wonder what he thought was going to happen there?

Real sad hearing him say "I'm so sorry, man" at the end as Jericho pinned him :smith:

I thought it was Jericho who said it.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

ShakeZula posted:

extra guys in the program weren't great talkers

Shoulda let sex ferguson carry the promos

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

OatmealRaisin posted:

I think USA is a long way off from putting pressure onto WWE to get it together. Between Smackdown on USA, Raw replays on SyFy, and blocking off any other channel that shows pro wrestling behind premium cable packages, somebody at Comcast loving loves WWE

Raw as bad as it gets in 3 hours still tends to beat just about every other cable entertainment show consistently throughout the year.

It may periodically lose to a special or some sports, but it's a pretty safe cornerstone for viewership #s.

abraham linksys posted:

I'm always confused when people talk about the Shield 3-way being at WrestleMania. I started watching wrestling at Summerslam 2014, right after The Shield broke up. In the almost two years since then, I think The Shield has been referenced on TV like 5 times. Even when Roman/Rollins was happening, even when Roman and Dean were broing out, it was never talked about in terms of The Shield.

Dude it was mentioned at least 5 times last night alone, plus summer and fall of 2014 was spent with Ambrose killing Rollins, with a stint of Reogns killing Rollins, and then 2015 featured more of Ambrose and Reigns killing Rollins all while people talked about the Shield.

The Shield fighting amongst amongst themselves for the title was 4 of the PPV main events last year.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I don't like any wrestlers to be honest.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I'd like to see the Shield triple threat at Summerslam tbh.

If you can get Ambrose into the ME somehow, but there's at least 3 months and it's a year divisible by 1 which means Battleground will have a ME with a non-finish so it'll be doable.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

8p: 3.359M
9p: 3.332M
10p: 3.115M

Eh, it's been worse

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Ex WWE security director describes how much Brock Lesnar loved wrestling: http://video.foxnews.com/v/4909783932001/ex-wwe-security-director-reveals-what-stars-were-really-like/?intcmp=hpvid1#sp=show-clips

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
It's a shame that it fits the theme of talent hating the business.

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004

oatgan posted:

I think the rock will wrestle again because he wants to come back and wrestle again

in fairness to Austin he made no attempt to get in shape for wrestlemania because he was just doing a stunner and leaving

Austin said on his podcast that he injured his arm over training for wrestle mania in early april, then when he threw the punch it completely ripped everything else up he hadn't already injured in that arm.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I just watched the fatal four way from extreme rules, those guys should be the main event, not some long haired mutt.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
This story from this former writer is good. It's also insane that the average length of being a writer is three months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTAgjRmb1nE

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

keevo posted:

It's also insane that the average length of being a writer is three months.

This is one of those things where anyone sane would look at that stat and think it's completely nuts, and all of us who follow WWE think "yeah, that sounds about right :sigh:"

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Nothing tops Patrice O'Neal getting multiple "you're fired" calls from Stephanie because she felt he wasn't mad enough about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYAyN2YRfvw&t=1230s

cronox2 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 24, 2016

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

OatmealRaisin posted:

This is one of those things where anyone sane would look at that stat and think it's completely nuts, and all of us who follow WWE think "yeah, that sounds about right :sigh:"

I'm honestly shocked it's that long. Didn't Freddie Prinze barely last 2 months? I know that guy who was fired and Steph kept calling to remind him he was fired was around for a week or two

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Why even bother having a team at that point, you spend more time and money hiring new people.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Without actually knowing for sure, I'd guess they use interns pretty heavily. It's showbiz after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Invalid Validation posted:

Why even bother having a team at that point, you spend more time and money hiring new people.

Because WWE is a public company that tries to have an outward appear of being a normal entertainment conglomerate, even though it is a carny wrestling fed that comes down to the decision making of a 75 year old man.

• Locked thread