Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Randy is totally going to run Smackdown and I'm going to love every minute of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
I'm going to make wild assumptions of what I think this will be and also proclaim it a failure.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I haven't been watching RAW (because three hours, Roman, etc) but if Smackdown becomes the "wrestling show" again I'll probably tune in. I still believe they have the talent to pull off two shows even with the releases.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this will be a failure to not not not own.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I am quite interested in seeing how they are going to handle this. It is both very exciting and frightening news.

On one hand if Smackdown becomes NXT then that would be ok and I would only have to watch 2 hours of wrestling a week. On the other hand if they handle it badly, which they likely will, you will have 5 hours of product that is unwatchable.

I will say this would make them keeping Roman as champion much more palatable since you know they will keep him on Raw and I wouldn't have to watch it anymore.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
As someone who missed the brand split in the past I am excited about this.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
There's some interesting potential with this idea, much like the old brand split. It did have the effect of making those few times a year when a Raw guy and an SD guy face off in the Royal Rumble or at Mania more interesting. Hey, they could do the idea I've been clamouring for for 20 years and bring back the Ultimate Survivor match from Survivor Series 1990 - 2 Raw survivor matches, 2 SD survivor matches, Raw survivors vs SD survivors in the main event.

On the other hand, the old brand split never really lived up to its potential and the writing/booking isn't really much better now. Also, thank god for PVRs cause there's no way I have it in me to watch 8 hours of current WWE programming in 3 days on a PPV week.

Minus1Minus1 posted:

I might be misremembering Heenan, but Graves seems to take a fair amount of inspiration from him. I like his commentary.

On the other hand, I also liked Riley the first few times I heard him too.

This is from a few pages back, but Riley's first couple of shows commentating on NXT were just perfect background noise. I didn't even notice there was commentary until halfway through the show, much less that one of them was a guy I kind of hated. It was just at this perfect level where I could tune it out completely. Then a couple of weeks later he turned into discount Cole.

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 25, 2016

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
Having an additional night off every week might help cut down on some injuries as well.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
At his worst, Riley was a better commentator than Brad Maddox at his best.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
WWE is in need of new stars for this new generation. I don't think Raw is a good outlet to showcase the midcard since everything include the structuring of the show is a mess. If Smackdown becomes what NXT was last year that would rule and if NXT goes back to developmental I would be okay with this.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm for it. Something needed to be done to shake up the product, and it's not like it can be any worse than how things are now.

I don't think they'll split the world title again.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
Just have the world, women's and tag belts float. Raw title is the US belt, Smackdown title is the IC belt.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Also this is the exact sort of thing that likely would have led to increased screen time/better opportunities for people like Ryback/Cody Rhodes/Wade Barrett ahahahaha

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Angular Landbury posted:

Having an additional night off every week might help cut down on some injuries as well.

I think WWE will run an extra day of live events. Raw will be Friday-Monday loop and Smackdown will be Saturday-Tuesday.

An interesting day for indie talent on the WWE radar. As the increasingly squeezed ROH both in terms of talent and at the live gate.

Also WWE can hoard talent even more from other promotions as they've created more on screen roles today. In theory the brand split will elongate a wrestler's WWE career as they can be refreshened by being drafted to another roster.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

What the hell? Why did they release all those people when they need two rosters for a brand split?

They cut two minis, two geriatrics, Cameron, and Alex Riley

The other releases all were contract/booking disputes who wanted out and were already gone.

As long as they don't split the titles again, I'll be happy.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Now vince can finally crush his competition in NXT by gutting the roster

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Honestly, this gives me much more hope for NXT callups. Bayley, Breeze, Crews and Nakamura will be safe in Ward's caring, tiny hands.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Make Smackdown Great Again

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I literally cannot devote another two hours a week to wrestling. There isn't enough time! :supaburn:

On the other hand I remember there was a time were I was skipping Raw every week and only watching Smackdown because it had Edge and Punk and all on it and maybe we'll end up with something cool???

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I guess I'm just watching smackdown, unless it's really bad

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
If Darren ends up on Smackdown, I don't ever have to watch Raw

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They really should have a brand split, there's no other reason to have Smackdown otherwise.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

how quickly does vince reverse course if smack down suddenly becomes wildly better than his flagship program (i wasn't around the last time that happened but i can imagine)?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The brand split is one of the reasons I tuned out for a decade, I can't believe they're bringing it back.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Go RV! posted:

Honestly, this gives me much more hope for NXT callups. Bayley, Breeze, Crews and Nakamura will be safe in Ward's caring, tiny hands.

Until Vince rewrites the show 5 minutes before airtime.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

initially hated this idea but if it means I never have to loving see poo poo like Usos, Reigns, etc on one of the now-live shows then bring it on. I'd love to be able to ignore terrible poo poo and just watch The Adventures Of Indie Wrestlers: The Legend of the Intercontinental Title. Whatever can keep guys like Finn, Nakamura, or Breeze farrrrrr away from being fed to Roman, I'm good with.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

The brand split is one of the reasons I tuned out for a decade, I can't believe they're bringing it back.
Same, except add the addition of poor booking, unengaging storylines, the never ending McMahon saga and the relentless promotion of a wrestler who has been going over everyone else and is rarely allowed to show any weaknesses. How times change eh?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gorn Myson posted:

Same, except add the addition of poor booking, unengaging storylines, the never ending McMahon saga and the relentless promotion of a wrestler who has been going over everyone else and is rarely allowed to show any weaknesses. How times change eh?

I too can't wait for the Attitude Era.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
HHH doesn't work tuesdays :smug:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

exploding mummy posted:

I too can't wait for the Attitude Era.
Literally been watching it on Network. Network owns.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Why are people excited for a draft? Splitting the titles so soon after unifying them would be stupid, and if the champ is on both shows then what's the point?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Why are people excited for a draft? Splitting the titles so soon after unifying them would be stupid, and if the champ is on both shows then what's the point?

Hope that the good stuff (IC feuds) is one one show and the bad stuff (THE BIG DOG) is on the other.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

OatmealRaisin posted:

Hope that the good stuff (IC feuds) is one one show and the bad stuff (THE BIG DOG) is on the other.

It's still loving stupid and makes no sense. This is bad and dumb even by WWE standards.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
In theory interpromotional war is one of the most consistently good/money making angles in wrestling history. WWE just has to book it properly. If they're willing to let Smackdown and Raw actually go at it with equal talent levels and a competitive nature (if it has to be the McMahons, let it be like they're actually at each other's throats competing to sign guys from NXT, which would be an easy way to put the NXT guys over before they debut as well)

Don't blow it off in a month or have Smackdown led by Kane and Devon Dudley please

they have plenty of awesome wrestlers on the roster, it's just a matter of actually booking them properly for a change

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

It's still loving stupid and makes no sense. This is bad and dumb even by WWE standards.

It's smart and makes a lot of sense because they have secondary titles and a whole show they do loving nothing with right now.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I know that and you know that but this is the WWE. Hope springs eternal.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm just imagining a new Smackdown Six of Sheamus, Cesaro, Neville, Kalisto, Rusev, and CodySami and it's making me pretty happy.

I know I'm setting myself up for disappointment but the brand split will still allow for more guys to work that I want to watch.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's smart and makes a lot of sense because they have secondary titles and a whole show they do loving nothing with right now.

Remember when people said SD was the Dean Ambrose Show

Now it'll be literal!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Can't wait for your post next week where you've had time to digest the news and it's cool and good then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i think this also is a way to keep roman & cena the biggest most winningest stars without one having to beat the other (until wrestlemania)

• Locked thread