Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Bismuth posted:

Ramadan is when muslims dont have fun (eat/drink/smoke/gently caress) between sun up and sun down for an entire month, for some reason. I think you get out of it if you're on your period or pregnant so basically its the only time of the year that muslim women get the best deal out of their religion.

In many places, in many ways, Islam seems to poo poo on women but for the most part all the women-hating poo poo is tribal, cultural or a sect thing and was, apparently, never intended to be a thing in the faith. In fact the faith supposedly started out extremely pro-woman for its time. Especially in comparison to Christianity at the same time. Women could divorce, inherit, own land and businesses and we're entitled to an education centuries before European women got the same.

Or so I have read.

But yeah, Islam kinda sucks for women in a lot of places.

Wendigee posted:

You can't drink water during the day either enjoy your hangover!

gently caress.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mukulu posted:

great, now all my co-workers get to be lazy

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bismuth posted:

I kind of get all of those except the fasting, they sort of apply to most religions (swap out mecca for some other holy land/place/thing)

i mean it's not a proper religion without some holidays.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
All of my stupid rear end in a top hat coworkers are going to bitch and moan all day about how they "feel bad" and "can't think" for the next three weeks. Motherfucker get up before the sun rises and eat a monster breakfast and you won't feel so bad.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont know any other muslims

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my family does not accept me any longer

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

All of my stupid rear end in a top hat coworkers are going to bitch and moan all day about how they "feel bad" and "can't think" for the next three weeks. Motherfucker get up before the sun rises and eat a monster breakfast and you won't feel so bad.

honestly ive tried fasting before for various reasons and if anything it clears your head and helps you think

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
What genius came up with the idea of a fast where you cant drink water during the hottest part of the year? Like what did they do before air conditioning, just die?

Also what about Muslims too poor to go to mecca, I'm sure there have got to be a lot of them that cant afford the time off work/plane tickets/etc, that must just suck. Is there some leeway for them?

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug

Volcott posted:

Man, having to go all the way to Holy Terra is gonna suck for Muslim space travelers.

I know right, especially with all the orbital security checkpoints and poo poo, not to mention the special hell that is getting past the Luna weapons platform

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bismuth posted:

Also what about Muslims too poor to go to mecca,

they avoid disease and being trampled

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

A CISHET SHITLORD posted:

I know right, especially with all the orbital security checkpoints and poo poo, not to mention the special hell that is getting past the Luna weapons platform

ive heard its now full brain scans just to get past titan. the whole thing is a shitshow and its not like it stops psych bombers from going all mindworm on people anyway

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

paul_soccer10 posted:

they avoid disease and being trampled

Yeah but it sucks that they dont get the opportunity to fulfill something really important to them due to their financial situation. Come to think of it though I'm pretty sure that's something 99.9999% of the world experiences too.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Bismuth posted:

Also what about Muslims too poor to go to mecca

You only have to go once in your life. Muslims don't all go every year

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bismuth posted:

What genius came up with the idea of a fast where you cant drink water during the hottest part of the year? Like what did they do before air conditioning, just die?

Also what about Muslims too poor to go to mecca, I'm sure there have got to be a lot of them that cant afford the time off work/plane tickets/etc, that must just suck. Is there some leeway for them?

you just sort of suffer. which is the point, i think. it's a collective bonding experience where you all feel like poo poo together.

and the hajj is a once in a lifetime thing

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Even if its once in a life time its still throwing down a bunch of money that I bet a lot of people never SEE in their life times. Do you think some homeless Muslim in the Philippines is ever going to see the cash necessary to visit?

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Mange Mite posted:

and the hajj is a once in a lifetime thing

I would never go to Saudi Arabia for any reason. That place is a poo poo hole.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Wendigee posted:

You only have to go once in your life. Muslims don't all go every year

You don't even have to go, if I recall. It's a circumstances permitting kind of thing. You don't get sent to Muslim hell for not walking around the box.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

I'm the fifth columnist

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bismuth posted:

Yeah but it sucks that they dont get the opportunity to fulfill something really important to them due to their financial situation. Come to think of it though I'm pretty sure that's something 99.9999% of the world experiences too.

Canada no joke offers rebates on airfare to citizens who want to make the hajj

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug

Bismuth posted:

There must be some kind of thing like college scholarships but to make the pilgrimage, right? I'm too apathetic to even google it but surely this is a thing

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Volcott posted:

You don't even have to go, if I recall. It's a circumstances permitting kind of thing. You don't get sent to Muslim hell for not walking around the box.

Nah you gotta go if your able bodied and can afford it

E: afford it meaning if you save your whole life you can afford it before you die

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 6, 2016

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

unfortunately giveadamn has been cancelled this year

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Wendigee posted:

Nah you gotta go if your able bodied and can afford it

I was referring to the "can afford it" bit.

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS

Jenner posted:

I'm actually gonna try and fast to see how hard it is. Wish me luck!

I ate Nandos and drank half a pitcher of their ok sangria tonight as my last meal before taking the plunge.

My prognosis is that the hardest thing is actually gonna be waking up at 4 am to eat before dawn.

I'm still doing it easy mode because I'm not praying 5 times a day. Privilege checked.

Good luck, friend-o!

Questions: will you be drinking alcohol, having sex, etc. during Ramadan? You are allowed specific(?) foods so long as its consumed after sunlight, correct?

See, I have this thing where, if I can't eat, I become the angriest, most contrary motherfucker you've ever seen. I also become very ill if I don't drink (alcohol-flavoured beverages). Is there a specialty Ramadan just for me?

Thanks in advanced for your kind wisdom!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

I've never made a pilgrimage but I did go to DC a couple weeks ago and it was pretty nice except for the sunburn I got for not knowing how clouds work.

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug

Mange Mite posted:

ive heard its now full brain scans just to get past titan. the whole thing is a shitshow and its not like it stops psych bombers from going all mindworm on people anyway

:agreed: its all just void security theater, any determined terrorist could just come in from below the orbital plane and kamikaze any orbital arcology he wanted. Nothing but a loving hassle for law-abiding pilgrims just wanting to touch holy Terra's soil

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Is it Saudi Arabia that have Mecca? Whoever owns that land banned some country from attending this year didn't they?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

paul_soccer10 posted:

Canada no joke offers rebates on airfare to citizens who want to make the hajj

Lol, good.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Serviette posted:

Good luck, friend-o!

Questions: will you be drinking alcohol, having sex, etc. during Ramadan? You are allowed specific(?) foods so long as its consumed after sunlight, correct?

See, I have this thing where, if I can't eat, I become the angriest, most contrary motherfucker you've ever seen. I also become very ill if I don't drink (alcohol-flavoured beverages). Is there a specialty Ramadan just for me?

Thanks in advanced for your kind wisdom!

Yeah you can gently caress and eat etc after sun down. I may have sex but I'll also be drinking (addictive substances are haram*) and poo poo because I am not a Muslim. I'll just have to do it after sun down so no Happy Hour for me.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Wendigee posted:

Is it Saudi Arabia that have Mecca? Whoever owns that land banned some country from attending this year didn't they?

I don't think it was an outright ban, but they did try to dissuade people from some African country from coming because of the 'bola. Also, I think they blame the Black Muslims for stampedes and whatnot on the regular.

Edit: big dumb Meccaclock.

Volcott fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 6, 2016

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
seems kinda like a racket

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

paul_soccer10 posted:

seems kinda like a racket

whaaaaat? you sound insane right now

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Jenner posted:

Blessings to you and your family during this most auspicious time. May Allah bless you with an easy fast inshallah.

How are you planning to spend this blessed month GBS?

i hope you will fast from posting

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im just saying follow the money

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Business Gorillas posted:

i hope you will fast from posting

:captainpop:

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS

paul_soccer10 posted:

im just saying follow the money

And where does the money lead you, shitwit?

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serviette posted:

And where does the money lead you, shitwit?

stop screaming at me

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
ah yes that month when like two billion people make life even more difficult for themselves

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

are you a sunni or a shite? m8?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Lichy posted:

ah yes that month when like two billion people make life even more difficult for themselves

suffering together builds group cohesion

• Locked thread