Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

drat this really is a libertarian paradise... veronica is scary...

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Licorice shows up in Summer 2. She's the best. That is all.

the arrival of the alpha crazy... i can't wait!

Corridor fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Corridor posted:

i hope this one uses a menu system from later than 1995

e. lol a blue eyed blonde 50s family

Aren't the dad and sister redheads?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

idk it was just funny how they look like a perfect shiny 1950s american nuclear family, meanwhile every other HM/RF family has some divorcee or widow single parent with dysfunctional relations toward their kid, or siblings that loving hate each other. :3: feels like the shock twist at the end of the game is going to be that u dreamed them up and they were never real all along...

so hey i jumped on a rock bc bouncing on rocks is fun and a glass stone popped out. is there any other foraging i could be doing, jumping on poo poo or searching stumps like in ANB?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Keep swimming in the river and diving! I think the max is 5 times per screen, and you need to save up on as much bricks as you can.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah there's a lot of things you can jump on that has a chance of dropping things. I don't remember all of them though and it tends to be a low drop rate

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Corridor posted:

idk it was just funny how they look like a perfect shiny 1950s american nuclear family, meanwhile every other HM/RF family has some divorcee or widow single parent with dysfunctional relations toward their kid, or siblings that loving hate each other. :3: feels like the shock twist at the end of the game is going to be that u dreamed them up and they were never real all along...

so hey i jumped on a rock bc bouncing on rocks is fun and a glass stone popped out. is there any other foraging i could be doing, jumping on poo poo or searching stumps like in ANB?

Go jump in a river in real life

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Gibbo posted:

i don't agree

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nondevor posted:

Keep swimming in the river and diving! I think the max is 5 times per screen, and you need to save up on as much bricks as you can.

All the water areas in SoS are divided into two halves. Each half has 3 scavenging drops a day. I think the halves are all split left/right.

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.

Corridor posted:

Bouncing on the fences surrounding the public fields can make stuff pop out, as well as some of the hedges in town (maybe all of them, I forget) and that pile of wood beside the carpenter's.

Just bounce on everything basically

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

RainbowCake posted:

Bouncing on the fences surrounding the public fields can make stuff pop out, as well as some of the hedges in town (maybe all of them, I forget) and that pile of wood beside the carpenter's.

Just bounce on everything basically

was gonna do that anyway so no problemo

LLSix posted:

All the water areas in SoS are divided into two halves. Each half has 3 scavenging drops a day. I think the halves are all split left/right.

huh i only found the second half in bridge area? it got octopus

Gibbo posted:

not sure how this would help but okay

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The bridge divides the two areas explicitly. However all other water features that you can swim in there are implicitly two sections where you can find 3 items per day.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I got Lost Valley on sale ages ago and picked it up recently. It's kind of growing on me. SoS is fun, but man, it gets kind of overwhelming. I found it hard to do all my chores in one day. I may cut back on the fields I own once I unlock the Tropical Island vendors.

But I am kind of hooked on Lost Valley. Been terraforming, and I have sheep named Skein and Yarn with a cow. It is great.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Aerofallosov posted:

I got Lost Valley on sale ages ago and picked it up recently. It's kind of growing on me. SoS is fun, but man, it gets kind of overwhelming. I found it hard to do all my chores in one day. I may cut back on the fields I own once I unlock the Tropical Island vendors.

But I am kind of hooked on Lost Valley. Been terraforming, and I have sheep named Skein and Yarn with a cow. It is great.

No. Go sit in a corner and think about what you've done.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Gibbo posted:

No. Go sit in a corner and think about what you've done.

:( Awww, okay.

I have so many questions about stuff in it, but man, its boards are dead.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
XSEED finally announced the next SoS game, Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns, it'll be out next year sometime.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

XSEED finally announced the next SoS game, Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns, it'll be out next year sometime.

That name... :(

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Knorth posted:

That name... :(

Sos Tot

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

And the inevitable expansion/remake.

SoS:ToT: People of Prosperity.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I wonder if the TLV people announced the new one in response to Trio of Towns.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Aerofallosov posted:

I wonder if the TLV people announced the new one in response to Trio of Towns.

It's kinda weird considering they haven't released their planned Wii U/PC one yet, and now they're going back to competing directly with Marvelous with a new 3ds one.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Natsume does most of their business on 3DS and most of that comes from Harvest Moon, so I don't think there's anything unusual about them launching a new 3DS game this year. TLV will be two years old by the time the new one's out.

They haven't mentioned the Wii U/PC version of the mobile game in a while, who knows what's going on there.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What's up with Sky Tree town is it based on that monstrosity in Tokyo?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

hadji murad posted:

What's up with Sky Tree town is it based on that monstrosity in Tokyo?

yes the game takes place in the radio tower, u have to raise a farm there and it's v impractical idk why they insisted on doing it

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

does klaus really need to keep calling himself an 'old man'? dude's gotta be all of like... 25. dude i am trying to date u, the way u keep insisting there's this ENORMOUS age gap is creeping me out

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Corridor posted:

does klaus really need to keep calling himself an 'old man'? dude's gotta be all of like... 25. dude i am trying to date u, the way u keep insisting there's this ENORMOUS age gap is creeping me out

He's actually a 900 year-old demon, he just looks like a man in his twenties.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Better than a body of 13 and people insisting there is nothing with that, no homo pedo. :v:

Good to know I wasn't the only one annoyed by the game implying being older and unmarried is A Big Deal.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Better than a body of 13 and people insisting there is nothing with that, no homo pedo. :v:

Good to know I wasn't the only one annoyed by the game implying being older and unmarried is A Big Deal.

A lot of the super young marriage candidates creep me out. I am doubly creeped out by how popular said not-at-all-legal candidates are sometimes. And yeah, that weirded me out. Good heavens! Older and unmarried! :monocle:
At least most of SoS's partners looked not super young.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Remember that this is a kids game series.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sage Grimm posted:

Aerofallosov posted:

And yeah, that weirded me out. Good heavens! Older and unmarried! :monocle:

This is a quirk of Japanese culture, to my understanding. Also, yeah, the games pretty much assume you're 18 at the oldest; if you're older than that, the romances can start looking a little creepy.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

This is a quirk of Japanese culture, to my understanding.

And yet somehow Japanese birthrates continue to plummet. It's almost like their weird archaic choices aren't panning out in the long run. :rolleye:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Gibbo posted:

And yet somehow Japanese birthrates continue to plummet. It's almost like their weird archaic choices aren't panning out in the long run. :rolleye:

my friend i think you are in the wrong thread for this

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Harvest Moon - And yet somehow Japanese birthrates continue to plummet

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

Remember that this is a kids game series.

ya seriously, it's an all-ages child-inclusive game, there's a lot of otaku and videogame media that's borderline/actual pedo but i generally wouldn't include harvest moon in there. the spouses are children and tweens because it's meant to appeal to children and tweens.

it's just really funny when a 25-year-old describes himself as an ancient and withered being in every interaction.

e. though if it's creepiness you're looking for, here's a description of one of his heart events from fogu.com

i kinda wish i could have been in on the discussion where the EU team read that and were like, "uh, how about we just.... rein this in a tiny lil bit"

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
The EU versions sounds a lot more weird to be honest.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Tired Moritz posted:

The EU versions sounds a lot more weird to be honest.

You're just plain wrong I'm afraid

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Knorth posted:

You're just plain wrong I'm afraid

in my opinion!!

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Gibbo posted:

I have almost a second baby in Japan get your facts right Jack

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I guess I'm diluting the race but whatever

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol do you people actually think "person is getting older and fears they'll be single forever" is some weird japanese trope?

have you ever seen a sitcom or romantic comedy before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Usually in western media it isn't constantly framed as "Haha I am an old man what could you possibly want from me?" but that's mostly because it's normalized for men in their mid 30s to mid 40s playing opposite of women in their mid 20s.

• Locked thread