Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

BigglesSWE posted:

How fast does the AI research newer vehicles? I can't help but upgrade as soon as it is viably possible, which puts a strain on my war industry. How long does it take for something to be truly obsolete?

Vehicles are never obsolete. A new one is about 50% better than the last model, but any tank is better than no tank.

I was still using tanks I built in 1936 when I rolled into Berlin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Does everyone at Paradox hate Italy for some reason? They just can't help embarrassing themselves. I'm fighting an Axis war as fascist Poland and poor Italy has nearly 30x the losses of all the other members combined. Not to mention they're completely helpless against the British landing in Rome. I'm tired of abandoning offensives to bail them out. I wish Hitler would just boot them already.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
What's the best way to give a battle plan that is basically "hold the coast against naval invasion?" Defensive line that draws every coastal province?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

mackintosh posted:

Does everyone at Paradox hate Italy for some reason? They just can't help embarrassing themselves. I'm fighting an Axis war as fascist Poland and poor Italy has nearly 30x the losses of all the other members combined. Not to mention they're completely helpless against the British landing in Rome. I'm tired of abandoning offensives to bail them out. I wish Hitler would just boot them already.

Sounds pretty historically accurate to me.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ulmont posted:

What's the best way to give a battle plan that is basically "hold the coast against naval invasion?" Defensive line that draws every coastal province?

You want to fortify the naval bases mainly and sparsely fortify the beaches so that the enemy can't gain a wide landing. If the enemy can't take a naval base from you they can't resupply and they will quickly lose organizational. Notice how paratroopers land with very little org, and quickly gain it up to about 60% and no more if they can't supply.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So it seems like Armored divisions are super strong. Even in poor terrain they own. Most enemy divisons are going to be infantry and pretty much infantry only. Their hard attack and piercing stat is likely to suck. So your hardened division is going to be taking nothing by hard attacked and your armor is going to be so high you take no strength damage and very little organization damage and just roll through everything. I built up 18 divisions of armored troops with medium tanks, medium spg, and medium tank destroyers, along with some recon engineer and maybe radio guys? I forget. They just mow down enemy divisions and take no damage.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

At what point does the Axis win the war in a typical game? Do we have to beat both UK and America?

Why does AI Germany constantly Wardec Central America?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Baron Porkface posted:

Why does AI Germany constantly Wardec Central America?

Wat?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Declare war, on Central American countries.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Report it on the bug forum with screenshot and a save you can reproduce it from, preferably just a few hours/days before the AI declares the war.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I've got this in my Japan game as well.

Russia guaranteed Siankang and decced on me in summer of 39, so I rushed to join the Axis and called Germany to war. They accepted and were working on Danzig or War. Poland joined the Comintern but still dragged UK and France into the war as well. Germany rolled through Poland in top form and when they reached the Soviet border they found...nothing. Russia had shipped all their troops east to face me.

So Germany was beating down the gates of Moscow by winter of '39, forced them to capitulate in '40, took down France with the help of Italy and Spain, and then went hog loving wild warring with practically every other country in the world. Started with Turkey, Iraq, and Iran, then Mexico, then the US (!!), then started declaring on other American states pretty much at random. The UK is still alive and kicking, of course.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Handling air units is, so far, actually pretty easy for me.

You don't have to maintain air superiority over the seas unless you A: Have fleets stationed there or B: Have Naval Bombers stationed there. A is pretty important and two fold, click on your port regions your fleets are based at. Pretty much everything actually on the European continent is going to be within the Europe-proper airzone, while anything on some manner of island is going to be in a sea zone. So, in Italy's case, you can ignore all the sea zones around you, assuming you don't have fleets present there. They'll fly over the water in theory, but they can't do anything so who cares?

Fighters are the most important thing and you want shitloads of them. Apparently wings of 100 of everything are the "key" number. Have a wing of fighters doing air superiority over all of your air zones to thwart off any long distance bombers, then the rest should be on your war front. Annoyingly, if you're doing something like fighting France the airzone pretty much splits on the borders, so after the initial fight you're going to have to shift the zones. You can do everything from the air mapmode; click on the old region, select the wings and just right click on the new one. Once you're done flip over to the new one and hit rebase all. All your planes will painlessly keep doing their thing, the only bit of micromanagement you need to do is create those 100 strong wings. (And change them from "no retreat" and their initial orders, anyway.)

Now. I do not actually know how carrier planes work, but to my understanding they'll function automatically in whatever airzone the carrier is in and you can also assign them special junk. That's purely conjecture, unfortunately.

As far as actual planes go, fighters are the most important as said. Agility is their important stat. If you get air superiority you get a hefty battlefield bonus, so they can be just as good as bombers. Naval bombers might be overpowered, so they're good as well. I haven't tangibly seen tac/cas do much of anything, but take whatever your air doctrine helps out I guess? Heavy fighters are just for having range to follow Strat bombers around.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Groogy posted:

I worked a lot on making the AI know where to put it's air force, especially the fighters. Might be too much though since the Ai will always be instant to react and know exactly what to do based on the information he has.

I think placement is generally okay. The AI puts aircraft roughly where I would. My allied air forces are not of much help, but that's not very different than HoI 3.

Groogy posted:

If you were to boil down exactly what is the frustration what would that be?

The most simply way I suppose would be: Airplanes are exactly on target and only on target.

The first point is a defensive problem. As France, if I tool up industry and research I might build a few hundred fighters of modern type (compared to the thousands of the Armee de l'air, but I digress - French aviation was a mess). Anyways, those fighters must be over Northern and Southern France just to defend. So I put air wings in the various bases and set missions. German and Italian aircraft then appear anywhere in France and start bombing me. That's if I don't also allocate aircraft to Benelux. It's frustrating the "The Bomber Always Gets Through" when that was not the case, certainly in 1939-43.

The second problem is aircraft having one giant area. If I'm France, and I want naval bombers over Indochina, I need to split my limited force between Gulf of Thailand, South China Sea, Straits of Malacca and South East Asia air zones. The (less than ideal) solution in HOI 3 would be to let me have the aircraft fly over only the straits, or areas of interest.

France cannot build enough naval bombers to any of that well, and I feel like I lose the flexibility to just patrol around and maybe hit the odd Japanese convoy.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

They fabricated a war goal and declared war on little old Liberia in my game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Gonna try out Turkey for the hell of it, any advice? Can't decide if I should join the Allies (smoother transition, can work on focus tree right off the bat, :911:) or Comintern (get to wait out the start of the war for a while)

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Go Fascist and become the Neo-Ottoman Empire! Restore the true Rome!
All Romephiles: *triggered*

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Is Kaiserreich out yet?

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Japan went better than I expected for my first historical game. I conquered China fairly quickly, took the Indies without much issue, got chewed up in India but seized it all, annihilated the Royal Navy at the straights of Malacca, saved the Italians in East Africa, pushed the Allies out of the continent entirely, and repulsed a British D-Day in Spain.

But Germany poo poo the bed against the Soviet Union before I could attempt a cross-channel invasion to end things, and then the Americans joined the Allies and started invading through Hong Kong, my invasions of Australia and the Phillipines are getting bogged down, and now there's like 300 Soviet and American divisions preparing to push down from Siberia. It's 1943, I'm about to get completely hosed, and I am having so much fun with this game

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Any tips for Republican Spain? I want to avenge my grandpa.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I played as historical UK and when the germans started to put pressure on Czechoslovakia I let them into the allies and told hitler to gently caress off, but he declared war anyways in 1938. I thought I was going to get my poo poo pushed in cause I still didn't have my economy fully unlocked, but then they declared on poland too, and the entire eastern front starting making progress, so I pulled out of belgium (they started declaring war on all of western europe at this point for some reason) and did a naval invasion of italy, so now it looks like the war in europe might be over before 1940. I think italy made more planes than germany did which didn't help germany at all.

I haven't started the game yet today, but I stopped yesterday because of a bug. I had just built an arms factory and had a spare production slot or whatever now. I go to add a factory to my carrier naval bombers and every time I added a factory, it went red like I didn't have one. So I deleted the production (it had 2 factories before) and went to re add everything, and everytime I went to add more factories, it just came out as red, but still said I was short in putting my arms factories to use. I tried on my real fights (which had a lot of production and efficiency built up) and I tried to lower and then raise the number of factories and the same thing, it actually broke all my efficient bonuses and stuff too.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Britain opted out of defending the Sudetenland but France decided to be obstinate fucks so now it's Germany vs France and Czech. Amelia Earhart succeeded(!). China gave in at Marco Polo Bridge and then a few months later Japan declared war anyway.

As Germany I've crushed Czech and now have a tough decision to grind it out against France or go through Belgium and bring GB into the war. I enjoy superiority at sea with GB out of the war which is kinda nice but I have no clue how to get past the Maginot without going through Belgium. It's '38 now maybe plan a sea invasion of the french coast in '39? Ha, a German invasion of Normandy would be fun!

I guess my point is this is a loving fun game and it's not perfect but I've never seen a game create an alt-history as well as this one does.

Huskalator fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 8, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

As Japan how early do you invade China? I have tried a few times immediately as I got the focus (140 days in) and keep getting my stupid loving rear end kicked. Am I doing something stupid if I can't pull it off or do you guys wait longer, closer to the historic time. It was so easy for ne to do in hoi3. :bloobloo:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How do you deal with sabotage and constant repairing? I played a Germany game yesterday and most things went fine, but pretty rapidly all my factories were getting sabotaged and it was out of control.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Could play around with the occupation policies maybe?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

I have a lot of other words I can (and probably will) write about my Japan game, especially when it comes to air and sea power, but one takeaway I never really payed attention to is this: low supply will absolutely wreck your ground units. When invading Australia, or fighting in China, or island-hopping, managing your supply and supply throughput seems very important.

When I started my invasion of Australia, I landed 30 marine divisions and 2 24-unit armies. Needless to say this was complete overkill, but also wildly counter-productive. My infantry equipment stockpile went from being green to tens of thousands in the hole. My units were losing strength and organization just standing still, so after a point forward progress was impossible. I shipped the marines off and enlarged the landing dock to alleviate the shipping bottleneck, and within about a week I was making steady forward progress with little attrition.

Now I really want to try building a small force of bombers set to strategic bombing when fighting over low-infrastructure areas, just to see if it's at all effective.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I played as historical UK and when the germans started to put pressure on Czechoslovakia I let them into the allies and told hitler to gently caress off, but he declared war anyways in 1938. I thought I was going to get my poo poo pushed in cause I still didn't have my economy fully unlocked, but then they declared on poland too, and the entire eastern front starting making progress, so I pulled out of belgium (they started declaring war on all of western europe at this point for some reason) and did a naval invasion of italy, so now it looks like the war in europe might be over before 1940. I think italy made more planes than germany did which didn't help germany at all.

I haven't started the game yet today, but I stopped yesterday because of a bug. I had just built an arms factory and had a spare production slot or whatever now. I go to add a factory to my carrier naval bombers and every time I added a factory, it went red like I didn't have one. So I deleted the production (it had 2 factories before) and went to re add everything, and everytime I went to add more factories, it just came out as red, but still said I was short in putting my arms factories to use. I tried on my real fights (which had a lot of production and efficiency built up) and I tried to lower and then raise the number of factories and the same thing, it actually broke all my efficient bonuses and stuff too.

Red factories are shut down by damage. (Usually from either enemy strategic bombing, or rebels in occupied territory) When you have damaged factories a job will show up in your civilian build queue to repair them. It's the usual icon for the building with a red wrench over it, takes a fraction of the uptime that construction did.

Dongattack posted:

How do you deal with sabotage and constant repairing? I played a Germany game yesterday and most things went fine, but pretty rapidly all my factories were getting sabotaged and it was out of control.

Build a shitload of tiny cavalry/MP units and tell them to garrison the trouble spots. Once you apply enough suppression, the rebels will cool off and you can get to work. I needed about 40 2Cav/1 MP divisions to occupy Italy on the least harsh occupation policy. The number of units needed varied by state, so it's probably tied to population. Just painting the whole country with a Garrison plan worked fine for sorting out who goes where.

A_Raving_Loon fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 8, 2016

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
So I noticed something odd in the flags, Japan's democratic flag is a Red sun on the white field. But the Small icon is this

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Red factories are shut down by damage. (Usually from either enemy strategic bombing, or rebels in occupied territory) When you have damaged factories a job will show up in your civilian build queue to repair them. It's the usual icon for the building with a red wrench over it, takes a fraction of the uptime that construction did.

Damaged buildings will also slowly repair themselves over time without needing factories dedicated to them, so you can safely push them to the bottom of the queue if they aren't terribly vital.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Demiurge4 posted:

You want to fortify the naval bases mainly and sparsely fortify the beaches so that the enemy can't gain a wide landing. If the enemy can't take a naval base from you they can't resupply and they will quickly lose organizational. Notice how paratroopers land with very little org, and quickly gain it up to about 60% and no more if they can't supply.

So individual defensive lines for the naval bases and separately for beaches, or is manual deployment the way to go for coastal defense?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

A_Raving_Loon posted:

It wasn't damaged, the only damage I had was some infrastructure no where nearby. It was only one red factory (cause I only had 1 spare at the time) and when I removed factories, and replaced them, they would all be red. It wouldn't even consume resources, and any factories I tried to start up again also went red. It shut down a large chunk of my production before I got sick of it, saved, and went to bed. It might just be a quick fix through a restart, or I might have to open an autosave and see what happens. I'll boot it up later on.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

So what's the verdict? I loved HoI2 and hated HoI3, so I'm pretty skeptical about handing stuff on off to the AI - does that system work well? Also I saw a lot of grousing based on pre-release streams about the enemy AI, but it seems like everyone is happy with it now?

Also, how does this play on a laptop? I love playing Paradox games on the couch while watching a movie. I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro that runs Stellaris fine until the late-game slowdown.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Build a shitload of tiny cavalry/MP units and tell them to garrison the trouble spots. Once you apply enough suppression, the rebels will cool off and you can get to work. I needed about 40 2Cav/1 MP divisions to occupy Italy on the least harsh occupation policy. The number of units needed varied by state, so it's probably tied to population. Just painting the whole country with a Garrison plan worked fine for sorting out who goes where.

How do you tell where the trouble spots are?

Groogy posted:

Could play around with the occupation policies maybe?

Any tips on which to go for?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

So what's the verdict? I loved HoI2 and hated HoI3, so I'm pretty skeptical about handing stuff on off to the AI - does that system work well? Also I saw a lot of grousing based on pre-release streams about the enemy AI, but it seems like everyone is happy with it now?

Also, how does this play on a laptop? I love playing Paradox games on the couch while watching a movie. I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro that runs Stellaris fine until the late-game slowdown.

I'm having a lot of fun with it, but there might be small quirks/issues and stuff like that since it is a paradox release. They are getting A LOT better every time though and would recommend it to anyone who wants a fun WW2 map game.

edit:

Dongattack posted:

I think there's a "occupied territory" tab hidden somewhere. I usually just open it with the button beside the state's dissension level

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Dongattack posted:

One of the small-button map modes on the far right shows resistance levels. (The fireball icon?)

State menus also list local resistance levels when you select them.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

I think my hands off Europe turned out pretty well, and this is with Historical Focuses off

Asia on the other hand

I find it interesting that West Germany even exists, the Soviets controlled everything up to the french border.

Also I had 3 Germanies for a couple days post Peace Conference, there was a German Republic using the GER tag, but West Germany absorbed them.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Where's the Purge button Paradox?

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Decrepus posted:

As Japan how early do you invade China? I have tried a few times immediately as I got the focus (140 days in) and keep getting my stupid loving rear end kicked. Am I doing something stupid if I can't pull it off or do you guys wait longer, closer to the historic time. It was so easy for ne to do in hoi3. :bloobloo:

I did it pretty quick and had literally no problem. Probably about 210 days in then.

I just copied what Daniel did in the stream

edit: You have a great opportunity for a big encirclement at Beijing right away that can make things vastly easier. Naval invasions can really take the pressure off the main front too and divert their attention

walgreenslatino fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 8, 2016

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Neat!

I think putting in the Sexton I as the SPG variant for the Ram and the Skink and Sexton II as the AA & SPG variants of the Grizzly would work. Maybe put Victory Aircraft in as the bomber manufacturer?

I wonder if somebody's going to do a similar modification with the Australian tech tree to add the Sentinel (you could have the AC1 as the Lee replacement, and the AC3/4 to replace the Cromwell/Sherman), and adding the Bob Semple & Schofield tanks to the New Zealand tech tree.

Victory Aircraft sounds good as Heavy Aircraft Designer, they did the Lancasters

Can you have different names for the AA/SPG variants?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

What year does the game end?

I already want to see an expansion for this that allows us to turn the Cold War into a hot one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

JerikTelorian posted:

What year does the game end?

1949, but if there is a war going on that involves 3 or more Major powers the game won't end.

I think there is a continue button if the end screen does pop up.

Tuskin38 posted:

Can you have different names for the AA/SPG variants?

Looks like you can!

The game is so easily modifiable it is insane.

Just slap 'TAG_' in front of something, whether it be UI/GFX or a Localization line and it will only load for that country.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 8, 2016